This is the Reason the Nissan Skyline is Illegal in the US

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
tyndago

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2011/03/this- ... ne-is.html
Its heard all the time on the internet, the Nissan Skyline is illegal in the USA. To the layperson, they may hear this and take it as gospel. It used to be you would hear its illegal because it is right hand drive. You would hear that it is illegal because it was too fast. Neither of which is true. Here is the true reason that the Nissan Skyline is illegal in the US, Mercedes Benz North America.
The grey market was successful enough that it ate significantly into the business of Mercedes-Benz of North America and their dealers. The corporation launched a successful million-dollar congressional lobbying effort to stop private importation of vehicles not officially intended for the U.S. market

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Part of the reason... not ALL of the reason.

Side note: Re the Kaizo nonsense... the poster from the RX7 forum has his wires crossed if he thinks AZ is a state that "doesn't give a crap" about importation issues. Hell, we have stricter emissions standards than CA.

Wait wut?

Yep. I said it. Here's why: In CA, if you've got a wad of cash and a shady garage owner, you can get your car to "pass" emissions. Not so in AZ. Testing facilities are State-operated, and if your s*** ain't legit, you get no plates.

tyndago

AZhitman wrote:Part of the reason... not ALL of the reason.
Side note: Re the Kaizo nonsense... the poster from the RX7 forum has his wires crossed if he thinks AZ is a state that "doesn't give a crap" about importation issues. Hell, we have stricter emissions standards than CA.
Yep. I said it. Here's why: In CA, if you've got a wad of cash and a shady garage owner, you can get your car to "pass" emissions. Not so in AZ. Testing facilities are State-operated, and if your s*** ain't legit, you get no plates.
Well, it is the main part of why. Can you elaborate on what you think is the rest of the reason?

Without Mercedes-Benz lobbying congress, you would have been able to do a personal import, as was done in the 1980's. The whole registered importer program exists because of this. I never see it get mentioned much, but without having to battle the OEM's, importing would be pretty easy. I've done it the hard way.

Emissions on a state level, on an "in use" test are pretty easy. A good running car, a good cat, and it will pass. Arizona does IM240 too right? 15 mph and 25 mph roller? Its a good test for an old turbo car. Lots of heat in the exhaust, lots of heat in the cat. Works out well.

However, FTP testing, very difficult. Federal emissions requirements trump state requirements. Federal DOT/OVSC requirements trump state requirements.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

tyndago wrote: Well, it is the main part of why. Can you elaborate on what you think is the rest of the reason?

Without Mercedes-Benz lobbying congress, you would have been able to do a personal import, as was done in the 1980's. The whole registered importer program exists because of this. I never see it get mentioned much, but without having to battle the OEM's, importing would be pretty easy. I've done it the hard way.
Understood. I'm speculating, but from someone who drafts and reviews legislative language, I'm sure the EPA wasn't hard to persuade - pretty certain most of this came to pass around the time of increased CAFE standards and emissions requirements.

A million bucks in lobbying $ isn't much - you and I both know that. It'd take more than that, even with a willing and eager EPA, to enact some of that legislation (which costs a lot to pass in and of itself).
tyndago wrote:Emissions on a state level, on an "in use" test are pretty easy. A good running car, a good cat, and it will pass. Arizona does IM240 too right? 15 mph and 25 mph roller? Its a good test for an old turbo car. Lots of heat in the exhaust, lots of heat in the cat. Works out well.

However, FTP testing, very difficult. Federal emissions requirements trump state requirements. Federal DOT/OVSC requirements trump state requirements.
Our testing depends on year. 1996 and newer vehicles get plugged in, but yes, IM240. Plus they do a visual and cap pressure test, which can theoretically trip up a car w/o emissions / evap system in place.

However, it's not the emissions testing that trips them up, it's the inspection (all cars coming into AZ or getting plates have to have a Level 1 inspection. Get a retarded / lazy DMV inspector, you might get plates. Unlikely, tho - they're sitting around waiting for something "interesting" to happen.

Took me 4 hours to get my '63 Datsun NL320 inspected. Morons couldn't find it in "The Book". :rolleyes: Said they'd need to "consult an expert". I said, "Here I am - I'm the expert". Didn't believe me. No, idiot, I just know more about classic Datsuns than damn near anyone in the state... but don't take my word for it, ask the little Japanese guys who buit it - Oh, wait. They're DEAD. :mad:

tyndago

AZhitman wrote:Understood. I'm speculating, but from someone who drafts and reviews legislative language, I'm sure the EPA wasn't hard to persuade - pretty certain most of this came to pass around the time of increased CAFE standards and emissions requirements.
I can't say I have looked much into the EPA side of this, as it relates to early 80's cars. All the more modern stuff(1995-2000+ era), the illegally imported Nissan Skylines over at SKOUSA, are violations of the Clean Air Act. Pretty simple, disassembled specifically for importation, bypassing the importing requirements, which is a violation of the Act.

RI's and imported cars play little to no part in CAFE from what I can remember. It matters to a major manufacturer, but to an importer.

In this case, "Motor Vehicle Safety Compliance Act 1988" was the NHTSA/DOT/OVSC side of importing. Mercedes got it passed.

11 years later, it took Bill Gates, and Paul Allen to get the the "Show or Display" exemption, which is only the DOT side, not the EPA side of importation requirements. It can't give you much confidence, if those guys have a hard time doing it.
A 959 at the emissions lab.

[quote="AZhitman"A million bucks in lobbying $ isn't much - you and I both know that. It'd take more than that, even with a willing and eager EPA, to enact some of that legislation (which costs a lot to pass in and of itself).[/quote]

So do you think that SKOUSA's has any chance of getting a million plus together to actually change legislation?

I could talk to you offline all about the Kaizo stuff, and you might get some of my frustration with what is going on with the SKOUSA guys.

Its frustrating when you see history repeating itself. Its frustrating when you "try" and do the right thing.
tyndago wrote:Took me 4 hours to get my '63 Datsun NL320 inspected. Morons couldn't find it in "The Book". :rolleyes: Said they'd need to "consult an expert". I said, "Here I am - I'm the expert". Didn't believe me. No, idiot, I just know more about classic Datsuns than damn near anyone in the state... but don't take my word for it, ask the little Japanese guys who buit it - Oh, wait. They're DEAD. :mad:
A 63 would be no problem in Cali. Same deal though, you might need to fist fight someone at the DMV to prove it, but eventually you will correct.

AZhitman
Administrator

CA screwed up my title on my 67.5 311. It's got '61 on the title. Same deal, I tried to explain to them that they weren't even BUILT in '61. No dice, they're idiots (and stubborn). So, I have a '61 SPL311. :gotme:

Hell, I've already GOT a couple cars that will perform in R32-R33 territory... I just want a damn Figaro, lol

tyndago

AZhitman wrote:CA screwed up my title on my 67.5 311. It's got '61 on the title. Same deal, I tried to explain to them that they weren't even BUILT in '61. No dice, they're idiots (and stubborn). So, I have a '61 SPL311. :gotme:

Hell, I've already GOT a couple cars that will perform in R32-R33 territory... I just want a damn Figaro, lol
Getting a title changed, getting a VIN error fixed, its nearly impossible. I have to find the last thing I saw on it. Even if its a DMV error, it more or less says live with it.

Figaro. I am not manly enough to drive one. I saw them when I was in Japan in 1991. I have seen one in Cali, with Cali plates when I was working on FNF3.

Funny enough, the Luke Loy from the DOT/OVSC was interested in one. He was the compliance officer when I was at MotoRex, but has since moved onto another department in the OVSC. Wait till they are 25 years old.

AZhitman
Administrator

tyndago wrote:Figaro. I am not manly enough to drive one.
I see what you did there.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

AZhitman wrote:CA screwed up my title on my 67.5 311. It's got '61 on the title. Same deal, I tried to explain to them that they weren't even BUILT in '61. No dice, they're idiots (and stubborn). So, I have a '61 SPL311. :gotme:

Figaro, Figaro, Figaaa-rrrroooo! :chuckle:

tyndago

AZhitman wrote:
tyndago wrote:Figaro. I am not manly enough to drive one.
I see what you did there.
I was going to say something else, but I've been catching enough flack for calling idiots, idiots.

Here is a manly car, a Mustang with an RB26 in it.

I was looking for my pic of the Figaro, but not sure where it is, it was during filming of FNF3.

Maybe this is more manly.

AZhitman
Administrator

I already own more than enough "manly" cars, most of which I've built or wrenched on. No need to prove anything.

Hell, my wife drives an S30 with a built RB25.

I'm entitled to a Figaro. :)

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

I can haz Figaro (If I really want to)
I can also have a skyline too.
I would like to have bought my dad's if he only gave me the opportunity.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmmdBH2PsZk[/youtube]
(Watch from about 2:40 onwards)
:biggrin:

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”