Thinking of buying a 03 Pathfinder with 115k miles on it, bad idea??????

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
lemansz20
Car: 2004 Nissan 350z

I found a pathfinder cheap, used to have an 01 and it was a great car, but didnt have alot of miles. Ive read alot and most say these are super reliable. Its 115k alot?? and PLEASE let me know what I should do before I buy it, if I should?????

SixGuns
Car: '04 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4

Pathfinder or not, I wouldn't buy any car with over 100k...especially an '03?? Dude, that's only 6 years old. Sure, it may be "highway" miles like most people claim, but then again, it could be 115 thousand miles of some dude driving like a raging douche. I wouldn't do it...you get what you pay for, and if the price is super cheap, you can expect to put the difference back into it in parts and labor. Spend a little more coin, get something with fewer miles. Shoot for under 100k....I found my '04 with 49k. And since ran it up to 65 in just over a year. But that's why I don't buy high-mileage cars...'cause someone like me might have driven it before.

lemansz20

Yea I definately know what you mean, right now its a little tight and its hard to find a good one close to me. Ive been looking for 4 months, people like their pathfinders, bc the 01-04 was a great car. I guess the search continues.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

SixGuns wrote:Pathfinder or not, I wouldn't buy any car with over 100k...especially an '03??
I don't necessarily agree with you on that one, although you need to do your homework before buying. I have close to 200,000 Kms on mine (almost 120,000 miles), and I don't baby it.I make sure I do my oil changes and maintenance on time, and so far I have been trouble free.It still runs great, with no loss of power, and I don't burn any oil.It has a lot of life left in it.Have the truck checked out by a trusted mechanic, ask lots of questions, and you'll be fine.Good luck.

SixGuns
Car: '04 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4

I see completely what you're getting at. But my point and concern here is even though our rigs run like tops with plenty of miles....because we perform our maintenance.......(see where I'm going?) what's to say the dude who owned that thing last did it? I'd be much more comfortable with so-so maintenance performed over 60k than the same over the course of 100k. Either way I'd want to burn the guy's soul and f*ck it in the eye for messing up my sh*t, but....oops, did I say that....

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Hey, I hear ya. Completely agree with you. If you can't verify the service history, and feel the least bit uncomfortable with it, then I wouldn't buy it either.That's what I mean about doing your homework. You know the saying: If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

lemansz20

I am going to go check out an 03 I found LE, with 72k miles on it. Its a little more expensive, I think their asking 12k for it. does that sound like a bad deal??? I am not sure what I should be paying for this car, as the one I had was a lease.

longhornsqx4
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L VQ35DE

I bought my 01 qx4 with 80k for $6500

caufield25
Car: 2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE, 2008 Nissan Armada SE (R.I.P. 2008 - 2010. Totaled), 2005 Chevy Silverado LS

Yeah, Pathfinders are super-reliable. At least the one i had. It was a Different generation Pathy though (1995), and it never had any big problems. I had to get rid of it with almost 200,000 miles on it because it was totaled in an accident. The only problem i had with it since it was only about 3 or 4 years old, and i never bothered to get it fixed because it wasnt a big deal, was the exhaust manifold ticked. I had friends with Pathfinders that had the same problem. It wasnt an annoying tick either. You couldnt even hear it inside the car. but all in all the Pathfinder will last you a long time.

pathfinder9035
Car: 2001 Nissan pathfinder

SixGuns wrote:Pathfinder or not, I wouldn't buy any car with over 100k...especially an '03?? Dude, that's only 6 years old.
Well dude that's the reason why u do multiple test drives. A test drive will tell u a lot about the engine. and u can have a mechanic do an inspection on it before u buy it.

But dude to answer your question. go right ahead. The r50's have proven to be very reliable and only like 1 or two minor recalls. The vq seems to be a very dependable engine but there are always those things that u have to fix since the vq is more of an advance engine. I have had no trouble with my pathy that wasnt my fault. I use to take it offroadin and beat on it horribly and never failed. The ford failed before i did. My pathy has 110 k now and it still runs smooth. I use to be a toyota guy. Now i am hooked on nissan and i trust them...definitely worth man! JUST REMEMBER TO DO YOUR RESEARCH AND INSPECT, DRIVE IT MANY TIMES BEFORE BUYING

lemansz20

Tomm I am gonna go take a look at a white 03 with 73k on it. Ill see if I can make a deal, I was gonna buy a 350z again, but I forgot about my waverunner and def need the pathy. Ill let you guys know how monday goes, b/c thats pretty much when I see the car, and test drive it. If all goes well, Ill have a new pathy on monday.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”