Thermostat for 1998 Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
schaery
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima

I have a 1998 Maxima that is running hot. No mechanics open today, so I'm on my own. Thought I might try changing the thermostat - well, not me, but my husband. He' not much into working on foreign cars so I need some help. I guess the most obvious solution would be to first change the thermostat. If anyone can give me the simple version of changing the thermostat I'd very very grateful. (The version for "53 year-old men who only like to work on older American muscle cars because there's so much room under the hood and parts aren't turned sideways and upside down, and it's pouring down rain outside"). Thanks in advance.

robo_geek
Car: 2007 Maxima SE

http://www.answerbag.com/artic...9a328

http://answers.yahoo.com/quest...NcVR6

the three things you can get wrong:put therm in backwardsuse wrong coolantfail to bleed ALL air from system

Torgus
Car: Nissan Maxima

schaery wrote:I have a 1998 Maxima that is running hot. No mechanics open today, so I'm on my own. Thought I might try changing the thermostat - well, not me, but my husband. He' not much into working on foreign cars so I need some help. I guess the most obvious solution would be to first change the thermostat. If anyone can give me the simple version of changing the thermostat I'd very very grateful. (The version for "53 year-old men who only like to work on older American muscle cars because there's so much room under the hood and parts aren't turned sideways and upside down, and it's pouring down rain outside"). Thanks in advance.
he should be fine if he's used to working on cars he should have no problems. if really unsure or worried pick up a $7 haynes on the maxima or search for the FSM online for the car. should be very EASY to find...as i'm sure there will be something in there other than how to replace a thermostat that he will need to lookup while you own the car.

are you sure it needs to be replaced?

updates?

schaery

Hi! No, not sure it needs replacing but don't know why it is running hot. Plenty of oil and coolant. Just thought we'd try this before taking it to the shop. He did find the thermostat but have another problem. There's a rod that sticks up near the thermostat that is blocking one of the nuts/threads that holds the thermostat on. Maybe something to do with the drive belt? He can't get around the rod with his socket to undo the nut so don't know what's next. He may attempt to remove that rod but I'm hoping he's not getting in over his head. Gotta drive that car to work tomorrow.

Torgus

the FSm or a haynes should explain exactly how to remove it. the FSm can be found online just google it. or search on maxima.org there is 2 links on there to where basically every FSM is hosted. good luck!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Actually, the FSM can be found right here:http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1998/

Torgus

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Actually, the FSM can be found right here:http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1998/
thx. i figured they were on here but i'm new and didn't know the link. nice ride man.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Thanks.

schaery

Whew! Got the thermostat changed. The rod that was in front of the thermostat can be adjusted down. Just replaced the antifreeze, and will take it out for a spin shortly. fingers crossed. Unfortunately, my husband found another problem while fixing that one....oil leaking from around a gasket. He said he definitely wasn't going to attempt that one. Gotta keep this car running as I sure can't afford another one but hope it doesn't all start falling apart now. It's 11 years old with 132K miles on it so I guess I have to expect these things.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

schaery

Well, it wasn't the thermostat. Drove car around the block and needle went up to 3/4 (like 3/4 tank on gas gauge) within just a few minutes. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Don't have much money to play guessing games with a mechanic. Has plenty of oil, coolant, and new thermostat.

Torgus

where was oil leaking from the oil pan? if so it's an easy fix.

as far as it still overheating i'd say check to make sure the rad isn't blocked up for starters. you could have air in the system as well...how long have you owned the car and how long has this problem been there?

fwiw those cars can easily last over 200k. my 92 has 240k on it right now and still runs strong! i bought my 1st 2 maxes both with 120k on them and both lasted till over 160 when they had major accidents that took em out.
schaery wrote:Well, it wasn't the thermostat. Drove car around the block and needle went up to 3/4 (like 3/4 tank on gas gauge) within just a few minutes. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Don't have much money to play guessing games with a mechanic. Has plenty of oil, coolant, and new thermostat.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

It might just be the valve cover gaskets leaking. MY wifes 98 needed newvalve cover gaskets and after we changed them the car no longerleaks any oil. Its real easy to suspect the PS pump or steering gearfor this.

Just wipe your hand behind the engine by the cowl from under the hoodand see if you get fresh oil. If so, change your valve cover gaskets.You may want to clean the idle air control valve and the throttle bodywhile you have it apart.

For the overheating problem you might try to flush the radiator and getall the bugs off of the front of it. If there are no antifreeze leaks, thewater pump and radiator are probably ok. There could be air in the system, but this shouldnt take too long to bleed out usually. You might get a new radiator cap to see if it runs cooler. The radiator could be stopped up internally but I have not had that problem.cap to see if it holds pressure better.

schaery

I gave up and took it to the mechanic this morning. He called this afternoon and said he fooled with it for several hours and it never ran hot. (It ran hot just driving the 4 miles from my house to the shop)!!! The only think he did was added about 3/4 gallon of water. My husband put a gallon of antifreeze in last night. Mechanic said that maybe there was air in the line and so the radiator really didn't get full, or maybe there's a leak so he's keeping it overnight to pressure test it in the morning. Maybe my Maxie was just having a bad morning.

He "glanced" at the gunk on the engine and said that it looks as though the valve gasket might be leaking like many of you have said. He suggested that I just leave it alone unless I'm just dying to spend the money. NOT dying to spend the money!!! Do ya'll agree with him? If it's really no big deal right now, I'll leave it but I don't want something major to happen 2 months from now because I don't fix this today.

Torgus

i woulnd't fix it unless you want to make your hubby do it. parts are cheap. labor isn't. however if you want to sell the car having it replaced is a plus.
schaery wrote:I gave up and took it to the mechanic this morning. He called this afternoon and said he fooled with it for several hours and it never ran hot. (It ran hot just driving the 4 miles from my house to the shop)!!! The only think he did was added about 3/4 gallon of water. My husband put a gallon of antifreeze in last night. Mechanic said that maybe there was air in the line and so the radiator really didn't get full, or maybe there's a leak so he's keeping it overnight to pressure test it in the morning. Maybe my Maxie was just having a bad morning.

He "glanced" at the gunk on the engine and said that it looks as though the valve gasket might be leaking like many of you have said. He suggested that I just leave it alone unless I'm just dying to spend the money. NOT dying to spend the money!!! Do ya'll agree with him? If it's really no big deal right now, I'll leave it but I don't want something major to happen 2 months from now because I don't fix this today.

schaery

Umm.....no, hubby said he's done. A great carpenter but not a mechanic. He said everything's upside down and backwards under that hood, and not even enough room to get his hands in there.

As long as the cost to keep it running doesn't exceed its usefulness, I plan on keeping my Maxie for awhile. It's paid for!!!! I'd like to fix it up, cosmetically, but gotta wait on that for awhile. (Stupid cats have clawed my paint job all up climbing on my car at night, and it's really in need of a spoiler).

NutriaforBreakfast

I dont think the oil is very good for the rubber motor mounts but otherswould disagree with me. I changed my wife's with the help of a friendbecause when we were in traffic you could smell the oil burning in the car. Its not too bad to change them-if I can I know he can

schaery

Ugh! Just picked up my car and the gauge read hot before I could get home. Took it back to the mechanic. He put a heat detector on it and everything was normal temp. The fan would kick on when the heat detector read around 200 but the needle would be almost up to the "H". So now he's ordered some kind of sensor to see if replacing it will cause the gauge to show correct temperature. If not that, then he said the gauge is messed up which will be more costly to replace as he thinks it's built into the console. Sigh.

As for the oily gunk, yes, I can smell the burnt smell every time I get out of the car. Every now and then the smell will drift into the car if I have the heat or a/c on. Hubby has said pretty emphatically that he's not doing that job. Maybe I'll at least get an estimate from the mechanic but if it's not something major right now it will have to wait a bit.

schaery

Ugh! Just picked up my car and the gauge read hot before I could get home. Took it back to the mechanic. He put a heat detector on it and everything was normal temp. The fan would kick on when the heat detector read around 200 but the needle would be almost up to the "H". So now he's ordered some kind of sensor to see if replacing it will cause the gauge to show correct temperature. If not that, then he said the gauge is messed up which will be more costly to replace as he thinks it's built into the console. Sigh.

As for the oily gunk, yes, I can smell the burnt smell every time I get out of the car. Every now and then the smell will drift into the car if I have the heat or a/c on. Hubby has said pretty emphatically that he's not doing that job. Maybe I'll at least get an estimate from the mechanic but if it's not something major right now it will have to wait a bit.

schaery

Okay. Got my car back, again, from the mechanic. He replaced some sort of sensor but the gauge still shows my car is running hot. The needle stays now between 1/2 - 3/4 (mostly 3/4) on the gauge. He assured me that the car isn't running hot but apparently the gauge isn't working properly, and is expensive to fix/replace. He suggested that I just overlook the gauge unless it actually goes all the way past hot. It kinda freaks me up to see that needle sitting up so high but ........ Any thoughts?

NutriaforBreakfast

Get that fixed-its just too critical of an item

schaery

Oh - I think I have a Gremlin instead of a Maxima now, or rather, I gremlin in my Maxima. Now, my gas gauge needle says I have a full tank but I know I don't. Anything else wanna go wrong while we're at it??!!

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Ya'll have been very helpful.

NutriaforBreakfast

I would try unplugging the ECU and plugging it back in. Similaarto turning a computer off and turning it back on.

Torgus

bad cluster?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”