The Mad R

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Alright folks, the time has come. I've wanted a GT-R for almost twenty years. It's a desire that was sparked in 1994 when I first got to Japan and saw and sat in one and listened to it rumble. It is, fittingly enough, a 1994. I like the symmetry. It was being built as my dream was breathed into life.

I can appreciate the long distance love affair so many have with the car. It is indeed a remarkable machine. It's not the ultimate weapon that some may think, but certainly a formidable one that can live up to the hype. They say "never drive your heroes," but speaking for myself, it is all I thought it could be.

Now, that could be that mine is not stock. It's substantially more powerful than a stock R32, I'm guessing 450hp or more. That turbo is one of the larger ones I've seen and it's probably because it is original equipment on Volvo semi trucks and is currently set to 1.4 kilo of boost. It's reasonably responsive considering and when it awakes the car hauls like a bullet train.

I normally avoid "tuned" cars because most "tuners" don't know what the **** they are doing and have just enough knowledge to get themselves in seriously over their heads. For my part, I consider myself only slightly better than them so stepping into a car like this is uncomfortable to me not because I fear it was set up improperly, it was put together by a guy who knows his stuff, but rather because It's on a higher tuning level than I could achieve so I'm scared to mess with it.

It appears that I will have to step up and get involved, though. The other night I was coming home and as I got into it there was a thud and the power went limp. I've broken my share of cars so I knew immediately there was something seriously wrong. I quickly scanned the gauges and all seemed fine, but it would only push 0.1 of boost pressure. I limped the beast home watching my meters and it drove like a strong NA engine. I got home and popped the hood hoping I would find a blown off intercooler pipe.

It was not to be..... :frown:

themadscientist

BOOM! That wheel hit the housing pretty hard and it rattles around. :eek:

No easy fix for me it would seem. Either the bearing failed and induced substantial play leading to the collision or, worse, the exhaust wheel exploded and when I pull the compressor housing off the wheel is going to fall out.

Oh well, time to wipe the tears away, reach down and grab a pair and get to work! :biggrin:

Alright. Let's examine the patient. First, let's do a compression check and see if there is some possible collateral damage. Pull the plugs and they are all nice and brown except for #5.

That one is coated with oil and the ceramic is pretty beat up.

Results of the test:

I can't help wondering if the high number and oil on the plug on #5 are related. I'm not liking the low numbers on #2 and 6, but I checked all cylinder twice. Overall, I'd say I dodged a bullet.

Ouch! That wheel crashed into the housing pretty hard.

The housing is a bit scored, but it might still be usable. I hope so because it's been extensively modified to fit this car. If I have to buy a new one I'll need some welding done.

The exhaust wheel has some scoring as well, but not so pronounced.

The housing looks alright which is good because it is also heavily modified.

The drainback hose's wrap was soaked with oil and I think it has something to do with the fact that it tore in half when I pulled on it.

Done for today. The adrenal gland of the beast is out. Time to plan the resurrection and assemble the transplant organs.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

If I know you, she'll be a holy damn terror in short order.

She's lucky to have found a worthy Master.

HHan

I have the same reservations with owning a car that is setup in a way that I'm not entirely comfortable diagnosing or repairing. Don't think you should be too worried (like I know I would be) though, seems you have everything sorted and will have her back up and running strong as soon as you fix or replace your snail and deal with the other nuances.

Unrelated but, I love that her heart matches her shoes! Your 32 is one pretty lady ;)

edit:typos

themadscientist

I was able to figure out how the pump chassis released from the tank floor, pretty clever. The stray wire in the trunk got me curious about what was going on in there. This is what was going on in there. I'm not happy, but this car wasn't built for me so I'm not upset about it.

I did find the tray/pseudo baffle pretty clever.

I expected better on a car like this, but there are so many factors that influence build decisions I'll just assume this was what was deemed appropriate at the time. That's fine. It obviously worked. The car was a beast, but it's about as far from where I want to take the car as can be. Anybody want to buy a set of 255LPH Walbros?

I think one of these should do fine.

http://www.full-race.com/store/fuel-sys ... 00lph.html

themadscientist

So, time to pull off the intercooler and piping to check it for bits of impeller.

The bumper came off with out much drama. I need to get all new fasteners. There were some really rusty ones.

Yup. There was a fine coating of aluminum dust, dust, not big chunks all over everything. It had to go somewhere and it went all the way through and out. Whatever damage it may have done is done.

This intercooler is a Greddy unit and it went through some tough times.

And so has the car. That's a replacement bumper.

The age, condition and recent diet of the intercooler system has made me want to get something new. The whole system is going up for sale soon.

I also see no reason to have a separate boost controller when the PFC can do that, plus it's old and crusty. It works, though. That's sold.

Done for today. Time to do some internet research on fuel pumps, intercoolers, PFC boost control kits and make up a shopping list for my next trip to Nissan!

themadscientist

I've been looking at compressor maps for weeks! I'm in that dangerous area of knowledge where I understand just enough to really f*** up bad. When you know nothing you get scared and just have somebody else do it. When you know a little bit you get daring and go for it. I went for it. Hopefully I didn't mess up.

I was looking at the GT4088R even before it was recommended by someone with a hell of a lot mor knowledge than me so that was good. I was also looking at the GT4294R, though. It looked laggier, but more versatile for the long run, but then I saw the compressor housing!

I stepped away from the big BW because it would have required notching the valve cover and bubbling the hood. This would be even worse. I thought the GT4088R was going to be the one then I stumbled over the GT4094R and it just felt right. Jam that big wheel into the smaller compressor housing? Sure, it will be a little harder to spool and the sweet spot on the map shrunk, but it still looks like it will work. I guess I'll see because it's on the way!

themadscientist

Post man delivered some goodies for the R.

Greddy D/A meter.

I also ordered every possible sensor.

Once it's up and running I will be able watch:
Boost
Exhaust Temp
Fuel Pressure
Oil Pressure
Oil Temp
Water Temp

all on the one meter. The analog part is boost and two digital displays can be tasked to display whichever two parameters I deem most important. I'm thinking fuel pressure and exhaust temp since the others areas have stock meters to show me that if I get curious. If the Greddy sensors detect anything hitting a set limit it will pop up on the D/A meter. It is set via a cute little remote control. Pretty f*** cool. Here's a demo.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jc-ySY9nEE[/youtube]

I also got the upgrade for the Power FC.

Boost control kit. The PFC just became even more trick.

Unfortunately, there is nothing for it to control. I'm still waiting for my new turbo.

themadscientist

Turbo and fuel pump arrived. After I got done working on the 7 I turned to on the R. First I yanked the old Holset exhaust housing. So many tight spots around that big sumbitch!

Now for the new screw. It gives up little to the Holset in raw size.

It looks schweet!

BUT, it doesn't fit.... This manifold sits the turbo too far back and the compressor outlet has no possible clocking where it isn't aimed right at something.

I'm really tired of this game. Now I have to buy a new manifold too! This is s***!

Nothing to be done about it now. Back in the box for now and on to the next task, the new meter system. There was quite a rat's nest of wiring in the center console. Scotch locks, crimp connectors, stuff pinched under bolt heads and no real rhyme or reason to the routing. I fired up the soldering gun and got everything squared away in there! I decided to mount the gauge off to the side. I was going to put it on the column, but it blocked my view of too many things in the instrument cluster.

I also moved the A/F meter. It was in the ash tray which was fine as a temporary measure, but it's hard to drive and monitor it down there. The factory clock doesn't work. I don't know why, but at this point it's irrelevant because that's the new location for the A/F meter!

I really like how low key this will be when I get done. Almost nobody would notice. I ran all the wiring to the passenger side for next time. I will be continuing the clean up and organization, getting the business end of the gauge mounted and hooked up, mounting the Datalogit in the glove box and installing the boost control kit components.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Deatschwerks has some sexy stuff for running surge tanks with the pumps inside - check their site. I may be able to get you hooked the hell up.

themadscientist

Alright. I picked up some new studs, washers and nuts from Nissan, gave em a dab of antiseize because I am paranoid of galling the head and threaded them in. They look purty.

Instead of making a new front pipe, oil and water lines for the new turbo, I picked up another Holset with manifold and wastegate from the guy who originally built the car.

It's ever so different in height with what looks like a T6 flange welded on and a GT style wastegate. The turbo sits a little higher, but it looks like it will work; the hood still shuts too. Manifold is cinched up, but I just mocked up the turbo for now. I need some new hardware to mount that proper. It's great to see a turbo back in there after so long.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”