The last straw...

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Well, got my V back from the shop today. Partially repaired.

Transmission shifter: They could not replicate the problem. I can't fault them for this, because it happens only about once a week. Unfortunately, it happens at inopportune or flat out DANGEROUS times.

Fuel filler door release: fixed with zip ties. See my separate thread about this. This gave me a little hope that they were taking me seriously.

Right rear door seal: I made the appointment for service nearly 2 weeks ago. It was personally written up by the Service Manager, who promised to REPLACE the seal, no matter what. Of course, they didn't do this. They didn't order the seal so there was one waiting for me, they don't want to order one for me now because they just "reseated" the seal. well no crap, Shirlock... you can reseat the seal, but it will just come apart within a week, which was my original complaint! One promise broken...

Fuel economy (revisited): I told them yesterday when I checked the car in not to bother looking at this, since the car has been bouncing back and forth between good and bad economy over the past few tanks, and I knew they'd never be able to replicate it. So what do they do? They looked at it! Two promises broken... To top it all off, they copied a page out of the owner's manual about fuel octane, which shows that "87 Octake AKI fuel" is required, with a parentheical statement saying "91 Octane research fuel". They interpreted this as "the car requires supreme", and wouldn't buy it when I pointed out the very clear difference between the two. That was the THIRD time in two weeks that they directly insulted my intelligence.

And, of course, the loaner Altima is so frigging twitchy it's almost undriveable.

I am done with this. I am done with the dealer, I am done with the car, I am done with Nissan. I will not be buying another Nissan product any time soon.

This car will be traded in and gone before the end of the month.

Johniboi
Car: Versa

damn man, thats alota problems.to be honest with you, i havent gone to the dealership yet..and not tryin to jinx myself over here but thank god cause i dnt have to deal with this stuuff ..i guess yours defected??

i remember when my mom bought the new 2006 Quest she had ALOT of problems, and we live in Maryland and we bought the car from Virginia, and whenever she had a problem with her car she would have to go alll the way over there-cause she knew someone-so then finally in 07 they hooked her up with a brand new Quest, and so far no problems with it. i guess when you go to buy the car, you have to be careful with what car you choose? well iuno..lol

Well why dnt you jus exchange it for another versa? dnt give up man!

Ever Victorious

Johniboi wrote:Well why dnt you jus exchange it for another versa? dnt give up man!
Because this was my 2nd Versa. My 1st Versa, which was effectively destroyed in an accident, was on pace to have just as many failures as this one. I have absolutely 0 faith in either the model or the service departments nearby. It would be utterly stupid of me to buy a 3rd Versa.

Johniboi
Car: Versa

wow, i didnt know that. srry you gotta go through all of this man.

so now i guess your looking into other cars already?If so, what you planning on to buy in the future?

reyes1212
Car: Super Black '07 Nissan Versa

That's the first time I fully read one of your big vents, man. holy cow that sucks for you and yeah I hate how dealerships in general almost always make it seem like your stupid when in reality, it's THEM that are morons.

Ever Victorious

Johniboi wrote:so now i guess your looking into other cars already?If so, what you planning on to buy in the future?
Sure, I'm prepared to open the flaming upon me for my preferences.

Right now the short list includes:

'08 Spectra5 hatch'08 Elantra sedan'09 Sonata 4-cyl

Also being considered, though not yet on the "short list", are:

'08 Focus sedan'08 Astra hatch'08 Avenger 4-cyl

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

EV,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I know how frustrating this is as I went through numerous problems with a car in the 80's that the dealer ended up buying back through arbitration (there was no lemon law at the time).

Sometimes it's good to clear the mind and personal sanity and mental health to get another one.

Best wishes with your search. You know how I feel about the Hyundais. The Sonata was one of the best cars I ever owned, or in my case, leased. Zero problems. Excellent quality, a lot of car for the dollar.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Ev, I understand all the problems you have had with the Versa. I do suggest taking it to a different stealership for service. I know that's a PITA, but you might just have a bum group at your local Nissan dealer.

Dear God, don't get the Dodge Avenger. I had one as a rental car while in Michigan. They are an absolute POS. I can't think of a more generic, flimsy, poorly built car. Not to mention, it made my wife's Honda seem like a Ferrari.

The Sonata isn't a bad car, and you might also look into sticking it out with the Versa long enough to get a Hyundai Genesis coupe.

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

EV, sorry to hear your issues/problems with your V. I've been having issues with my car not starting until the 2nd time I crank it. It only does it when I don't drive it for a while. I believe it's the fuel pump.

Have you looked into the Honda Fit Sport? The magic seat configuration is a nice setup, can't pass by that. It wouldn't be too bad of a replacement. Either that, or you can go for a Mazda 3 i Touring. It looks great and I heard those are the best equipped in its class. The hatchbacks are nice! Lastly, you can test drive a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES or LS model and give me feedback on it.

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Geez, Bean. That Skyline is the bees knees.

Ever Victorious

Beancooker wrote:Ev, I understand all the problems you have had with the Versa. I do suggest taking it to a different stealership for service. I know that's a PITA, but you might just have a bum group at your local Nissan dealer.
I had just as bad of experiences with one of the other two local dealerships. The third one I won't even bother taking my car to because they are well known to be corrupt.

Quote »The Sonata isn't a bad car, and you might also look into sticking it out with the Versa long enough to get a Hyundai Genesis coupe.[/quote]I'm not going to stick with a car that randomly goes into 1st instead of reverse, and goes out of gear during stop-and-go freeway driving. It's not safe. It's already started to cause problems, I'm not going to push my luck.

As for the Genesis.. would be fun, but as a family man who drives his car for work carrying large loads of parts, it's simply not feasible. Nope... gotta be 4 doors, 4 cylinders, and better if it's a hatchback.
Mile High Versa wrote:Have you looked into the Honda Fit Sport? The magic seat configuration is a nice setup, can't pass by that.
Yes I can. Having a fold-flat seat really does not matter to me, as there's nothing I carry that would require it. Even large bulky items fit fine with the depressed floor in the V. Also, you've apparently never read any of my rants about Honda. I still hold them in lower opinion than Nissan at this point, given the history of their cars in my family.

Plus, local dealers are NOT negotiating down from their $4k markup right now. Making the Fit MORE expensive than the Mazda 3. For less of a car.

Quote »Either that, or you can go for a Mazda 3 i Touring. It looks great and I heard those are the best equipped in its class. The hatchbacks are nice! Lastly, you can test drive a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES or LS model and give me feedback on it. [/quote]Mazda 3's starting price is way too high. Too high to justify the equipment in it.

And there are no Mitsubishi dealers near me. The last one that was around here went belly up two months ago, and the local Ford dealer bought their remaining stock (but not the franchise, so they're not actually a dealer).

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Bubs daddy wrote:Geez, Bean. That Skyline is the bees knees.
Thanks.

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

The Mitsubishi dealer you're talking about is the one off of highway 99 and Everett Mall Way? I thought that place closed a few years ago, the one across from Klein Honda. I went to that Mitsu dealer a while ago when I lived in Everett looking for a lancer before I bought my '98 Honda Civic five years ago. Has it changed much around there?

Ever Victorious

Mile High Versa wrote:The Mitsubishi dealer you're talking about is the one off of highway 99 and Everett Mall Way? I thought that place closed a few years ago, the one across from Klein Honda. I went to that Mitsu dealer a while ago when I lived in Everett looking for a lancer before I bought my '98 Honda Civic five years ago. Has it changed much around there?
It closed several years ago (Everett Mitsubishi) and the franchise was bought out by Harbour Pointe Lincoln, two buildings over. THAT dealership failed, and now there is no Mitsu dealer here. Closest one is in Burien or some crap like that.

Let's see here... 5 years ago... the Jeep franchise that was part of the jeep/nissan/kia dealer got sold to the Chrysler/Suzuki dealer across the street. the Kia business was spun off to a brand new building 2 blocks away. the old Mitsu dealership building is now a Mazda dealer, and the Lincoln dealer is defunct.

So no, not at all... hehehe

I recently found out that Rodland Toyota in Everett is a franchise that has been around a LOOOONG time. They used to be a Nash dealer back in the 30's.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Ever Victorious wrote:
Sure, I'm prepared to open the flaming upon me for my preferences.

Right now the short list includes:

'08 Spectra5 hatch'08 Elantra sedan'09 Sonata 4-cyl

Also being considered, though not yet on the "short list", are:

'08 Focus sedan'08 Astra hatch'08 Avenger 4-cyl
Don't forget the Kia Rondo. It's probably the closest thing to the Versa as far as dimensions go. TALL, but small. Unfortunately they're also as ugly as cars get these days.

I personally would steer clear of the Avenger and Focus if I were shopping between your choices. The Avenger really isn't remotely utilitarian, especially compared to the rest of your options. And I'm sure you know my opinions on the Ford. Another outdated design that Ford's content to slap new bodywork on and sell for full price.The Astra is the single new Saturn that isn't chronically overweight (discounting the Sky, of course).

brainguyus
Car: '12 Murano SL - '08 Versa SL - '67 Lincoln Continental

Sorry to hear about your problems EV. If you step back and take a breath it seems like the dealer is over 50% of the issue (not discounting the fact that you ARE having problems with the car). You may, if you have any patience left, want to contact corporate and then try another dealer. If you don't I can certainly understand...I've been there. But remember it will cost you money to buy another car.

IMHO the Sonata would be the best pick. I'd stay away from the Dodge....far away.... The paint will most likely start peeling off in a few years. In addition the dealer and repair problems you have now will pale in comparison should you happen to get a bad one.

Ever Victorious

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Don't forget the Kia Rondo. It's probably the closest thing to the Versa as far as dimensions go. TALL, but small. Unfortunately they're also as ugly as cars get these days.
I could get one dirt cheap if I wanted... local dealer that I've had good luck with before has one for under $13k brand new PAR. Unfortunately, for some reason, the gas mileage on the Rondo manages to be worse even than a Sportage... I don't know how they managed that, given that the Optima they base it off of gets at least 3 MPG better in every category.

Dimensionally, the Spectra5 is actually probably closer to the V. It's a hair larger. the Rio5 is a hair smaller.
brainguyus wrote:Sorry to hear about your problems EV. If you step back and take a breath it seems like the dealer is over 50% of the issue (not discounting the fact that you ARE having problems with the car). You may, if you have any patience left, want to contact corporate and then try another dealer.
As mentioned above, there are 3 dealers that are within reasonable distance from me or work. I have now had dealings with 2 of the 3 service departments, and they both sucked big time. I'm not even going to try the 3rd because everyone who lives around here knows that they are cons. I wouldn't trust them with a Yugo I scraped off the side of the road.

Quote »But remember it will cost you money to buy another car.[/quote]It costs me money every time I have to take my car into the dealership, even if it's under warranty. At some point the lost time balances out with the cost of the new car. But at least if I'm paying more for a reliable car, I'm not having to take time off from work constantly, which will annoy my employer less. Annoying the employer is generally bad for your employment.

Edit: to be honest, if fuel economy was less of a concern, there would probably be a Forester sitting in my driveway right now.

lain
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

If I was in your shoes I would wait for the skyline.

brainguyus
Car: '12 Murano SL - '08 Versa SL - '67 Lincoln Continental

Ever Victorious wrote:It costs me money every time I have to take my car into the dealership, even if it's under warranty. At some point the lost time balances out with the cost of the new car. But at least if I'm paying more for a reliable car, I'm not having to take time off from work constantly, which will annoy my employer less. Annoying the employer is generally bad for your employment.
Amen to that!

Makes me think of when I had a Buick Lemon. (A popular model...I understand they still make them. ). I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car.

On one of my countless visits to the dealer (another morning off from work) the cashier in the service department said "You should be very happy that you didn't end up throwing your money away on that service policy". It took every ounce of will I had to avoid punching that biatch right on the spot!

Anyway, I hope everything works out for you!

Gr8dave37
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx Versa S

On the short list of what not to get...I would not recommend the focus either...I test drove one before I got my Versa...it's a loud tin can that is put together with a hard plastic inner shell..I hated it from the getgo.

Slither

Sorry to read of all your problems EV this reminds me of my experience with GM in the early eighties.

I know several people who have Hyundai - this is a good brand now with the best(?) warranty.

Another 'hidden gem' to consider is Suzuki, while I've never had one I know people who have. They are extremely reliable and cost little to maintain. Dunno if there's a model that would interest you...

Ever Victorious

Well, after some emails exchanged with various dealers and a couple test drives, it looks like the Spectra5 is at the top of the list right now. I have an appointment on Sunday with the dealer.

versabundus
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Are you talking about an '08 Focus? If so I have to reply, Bull@#$%. I have owned both and the '08 Focus is MUCH quieter than the Versa. The road feel and steering are superior. The only thing I would give the nod to on the Versa is engine smoothness. I often couldn't tell it was running at idle. But numerous other problems, and the dealers(and Nissan) lack of support were just too much. Ultimately, I dumped it because of a bum knee that made it difficult to drive. (6m)I settled on a '08 Focus SES sedan which has turned out to be an excellent choice in my case. 6k. miles without a hiccup and averaging 36.5 mpg with an automatic.

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

It matters where you take your car for service. I took my V for service here in NY and they said that when the Anti-Freeze being below low when its cold is normal, because it will rise when its warm. They said they checked all fluids and bla bla bla, but except changing oil they didnt do anything. I went to Cali and the dealer there filled up the Anti-Freeze to its max and changed all fluids. Aswell as check the whole car, costed on ly 160$

Ever Victorious

Yes, well not everyone is willing to drive 3000 miles to a dealer that will support them better. The local dealerships here have not treated me well, so I had to consider that in my personal decision.

Driving Instructor
Car: 2007 nissan versa SL CVT Red

Hi,

SO, I must say most of my problems have worked themself out with a lot of down time for me = loss of money.

But now at 98 000 kms, it has grown on me. I actually got 41 MPG on the highway........

But the stupid noise when turning right (loud "metal" noise) but they can't find it.

Hope this gives you hope.......... lol

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Johniboi wrote:
Why must you post this picture in every post???? Trying to skirt the rules?

kcourtad
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

XterraVersa wrote:
Why must you post this picture in every post???? Trying to skirt the rules?

Return to “Versa General Chat”