The History of Nissan and the S-Chassis

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Sil40_Mayhem
Car: 1995 240SX 5spd/1992 Integra LS

Vkoslak wrote:Wasn't the s110 rotory? or was it the s10 was rotory, and it didn't work well, so s110 was same body with 4cyl? I forgets.
According to this site:

http://www.emergent.com.au/200sx/faq_1.html#q1.1

It was the S11 that was rotary powered, soon followed by the S110 which possed the FJ20E. That's an awesome site, by the way.

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

thanks thats pretty helpful!

S14 boy
Car: 1997 nissan 240sx(R.I.P) 2003 VW GTI 1.8T 1975 Triumph TR6 Overdrive

that site was pretty cool, kinda seems like all manufacturers were playing w/ rotary in the late 70's early 80's

and, im still searching for my paper, hehe

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You guys get together and put something together and it will be highlighted VERY prominently here.

Make it a group project!

In the meantime, check out what *I* have been working on (lead on this project is Matt / audtatious):

http://www.conceptnissan.com

Not finished yet, but well on its way!

AkiraS12
Car: 1988 Nissan 200SX Hatchback...SR20DET w/many mods

Let's all talk through email about this and we can each tackle a generation... I'll take S12!!

masticatingcow
Car: 94 Mazda FD3S

Hey guys, if you're all serious about compiling this information, I'll gladly edit it! I think we'd have a real responsibility to put together some real quality work, given the number of people that could need it. Hell, I can probably pull a few strings and get a hardcopy printed, if there's reason enough for it. (I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here!)

I know nominating myself for editor seems asinine, but I honestly think I can do a good job. If it sits well with the community, I'd be honored to take it up.

Again, I'm not tryin' to be a jerk... just something I think I can do to help.

drifter_for_life06
Car: Daily: '16 WRX
Toys: '92 RPS13 400whp
Exocet

thats fine by me brad

feel free to hit me up with some details you guys

good start Greg me like

JimmyMethod
Car: 97' 240SX SE

Oh man did I hate writing research papers. That's why I are an engineer now. We don't have to take English classes.Nice paper, but the years of the various generations are in it.

S14 boy

Greg-looks real good, i love those old z-concepts.

i would love to compile something.. i'll take the CSP311, if noone else wants it.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Awesome - Brad, you wanna head this thing up?

Whatever you need, it's at your disposal.

Also, touch base with Torry and Keith (Rex), they have some data and documents you may want (save some work).

masticatingcow

Wow - thanks Greg! I'd be happy to head this thing up! I'll contact Torry and Keith ASAP.

I guess we could start by getting e-mail addresses exchanged. Mine is masticatingcow @ gmail.com. Anyone interested in putting together what amounts to a small chapter in the history of Nissan's S-chassis should e-mail me - let me know you'd like to take part in this. Once we get e-mails exchanged, we can start thinking about what our goals for this project will be.

S14 boy

sending email!!!

Rex
Car: None

Here's some of what I have ...
Rex wrote:Now this may have some copyright stuff in it

In 1912 a young man by the name of Masujiro Hashimoto founded the Kwaishinsha Motor Car Company, and produced an automobile called the DAT. Each letter of DAT was the first initial of a man's family name; i.e., "D" was for Kenjoro Den, "A" was for Rokuro Aoyama, and the "T" was for Meitaro Takeuchi. These three men financed Masujiro Hashimoto when he started his automobile manufacturing company, and the DAT name was given to the cars produced there in honor these financiers.

A merger between Kwaishinsha Motors and Jidosha Seizo took place in 1926. The new company was named "DAT Jidosha Seizo Company Limited; and it continued to produce the DAT line of cars.

In 1930 a reorganization took place and the Directors decided a new name was needed for their cars; the name DATSON was chosen, being "the son of DAT". The spelling of the name was later changed to DATSUN.

In 1931 the assets and shares of the DAT Jidosha Seizo company were acquired by THE TOBATA IMONO COMPANY (a foundry company). Thus making it a division of Tobata Imono. Two years later it was separated from the parent company and established as an independent company named Jidosha Seizo Kabushiki Kaisha, and moved to a new 32 acre site at Yokohama. Funding for the new firm came from a holding company managed by Yoshisuke Ayukawa (the owner of TOBATA IMONO), and that holding company was named Nihon Sagyo. That holding company was already known to the financial community as "Ni-San" (ed. stock exchange listing letters).

In May of 1934 the name of the now independent auto company, was changed to NISSAN MOTOR COMPANY LIMITED.

Throughout the mergers and acquisitions the name of the car remained DATSUN. One of the major benefits that the merger with Tobata Imono yielded was the fact that they brought with them needed cash-flow, derived from contracts from FORD and CHEVROLET for the production of spare parts!

It is also significant to note here that the first exports of automobiles by NISSAN were to Australia in 1935.

Another consideration to always keep in mind when thinking about Nissan Motors Ltd. is the fact that the company had to be completely rebuilt as an automotive company after World War II. This was a long and difficult path for Nissan. First they rebuilt their Manufacturing and Production facilities and capabilities, then they reestablished their design and design engineering capabilities. The "Z" Car was a wake-up call to the rest of the automotive world that NISSAN was fully back in the game.

Datsun In World Class Competition / Enter Mr. Yutaka Katayama:In 1957 a young marketing manager by the name of Yutaka Katayama convinced NISSAN Corporate Management that a racing or competition program would be a good way to build name recognition around the world for Nissan Motors and their line of Datsun automobiles. (Note - he convinced Corporate Management - after his direct chain of management had turned the idea down as being too risky. This becomes important to know, later in the life of Nissan and Mr. Katayama).

He was allowed to enter a couple of cars in the "1958 Around Australia Mobilgas Trial". A grueling Pro-Rally tour around Australia. If Datsun did not do well, there would be no harm done, as the rally was considered to be very hard on cars, and very few competitors finished each year. If on the other hand Datsun did show well, the publicity would be world wide and would improve the image of the Datsun Automobiles and the NISSAN Corporation that produced them. So the chance was taken.

Mr. Katayama was assigned as Team Manager, and given drivers: Mr. K. Okuyama, Mr. Y. Namba, Mr. Y. Oya and Mr. Y. Minawa. At that time they knew they were off to the races, but we know they were off to the history books as well!

DATSUN WON the 1958 Around Australia Mobilgas Trial, Mr. Katayama's career was advanced, and his association with DATSUN COMPETITION was firmly established.

Coming To America!Being somewhat threatened, by this young upcoming and globe trotting marketing manager, the executives in charge of Mr. Katayama's career, within NISSAN MOTORS of JAPAN at that time, gave the young Mr. Katayama an assignment that they felt would keep him out of the corporate lime light, and which had a high potential for failure... (he had after all taken his ideas around them to their boss once and that posed a risk for them and their idea's)

In 1960 they made him the Datsun Marketing Manager for North America. Not wanting to bet the NISSAN name on a very risky venture... (who in North America shortly after WW-II would want to buy a car from Japan after all?) ...they decided to use the name DATSUN on all cars and trucks sold in North America.

Mr. Katayama was glad to return to the U.S. A. as DATSUN Marketing Manager For North America. Having briefly attended college here, he knew what his American Customers wanted or expected in their cars. Mr. Katayama was also aware of the unique requirements placed on automobiles by the expansive landscape of North American and the high speed Federal Highway System that crisscrossed it.

With this customer knowledge, he began to lobby the Corporate fathers in Japan, for cars specifically designed for and built for this market. (Something no other foreign manufacturer was willing to do, or was capable of understanding at that time). He also wanted to assure that DATSUN Customers received the parts and service they deserved.

Return to Nissan

During 1980/81 Nissan decided that they should be known around the world as one name, that name was to be Nissan, so during that period the Datsun name was slowly dropped. You will notice on some ‘W’ or “X” registered cars they have both badges or some have “Datsun by Nissan”.

Nissan (日産) is a Japanese automobile maker. From 1932 to 1983, they also used the trademark Datsun. Their head offices are in the Ginza area of Chuo-ku, Tokyo, Japan. Nissan plans to move their headquarters to Yokohama, Kanagawa by 2010; the headquarters will start construction in 2007.

Nissan used to be Japan's second-largest car company, after Toyota, but it has dropped to third in size after Honda. Due to financial problems throughout the 1990s (to the point where most believe an American company in a similarly bad financial state would have ceased trading), the French company Renault took a large shareholding in the company and installed Carlos Ghosn as president, the first non-Japanese person to run a Japanese car company (Mazda was run by an American, Mark Fields—now run by Lewis Booth of England—and Mitsubishi was run by a German, Rolf Eckrodt).History

In 1914, the Kwaishinsha Motorcar Works (快進自動車工場, Kaishin Jidōsha Kōjō), established three years earlier, in Azabu-Hiroo District in Tokyo, built the first DAT. The new car's name being the acronym of the company's partners' surnames:

* Den Kenjiro (田 健次郎) * Aoyama Rokuro (青山 禄朗) * Takeuchi Meitaro (竹内 明太郎).

The Works was renamed to Kwaishinsha Motorcar Co. in 1918, and again, in 1925, to DAT Motorcar Co.

Nissan Model 70 Phaeton, 1938

The next year, the Tokyo-based company merged with the Osaka-based Jitsuyo Jidosha Co., Ltd. (実用自動車製造株式会社, Jitsuyō Jidōsha Seikoku Kabushiki Gaisha) (established 1919) as DAT Automobile Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (ダット自動車製造株式会社, Dat Jidosha Seizo Kabushiki-Kaisha) in Osaka until 1932. In 1931, the first DATSON—meaning "Son of DAT"—was produced. However, the last syllable was changed to "sun", because "son" also means "loss" (損) in Japanese.

In 1933, the company name was Nipponized to Jidosha-Seizo Co. Ltd. (自動車製造株式会社, "Automobile Manufacturing Co. Ltd.") and moved to Yokohama. The company became Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. (日産自動車, Nissan Jidosha Kaisha) on June 1, 1934, and was founded by Yoshisuke Aikawa. For two years (1947 to 1948) the company was briefly called Nissan Heavy Industries Corp. (日産重工業).

In 1966, Nissan merged with the Prince Motor Company, bringing into its range more upmarket cars, including the Skyline and Gloria. The Prince name was eventually abandoned, with successive Skylines and Glorias bearing the Nissan name. Nissan would introduce a new luxury brand for the US market in the late 1980s called Infiniti.

In the wake of the fuel crisis, Nissan became one of the world's largest exporters of automobiles and set up new factories in Mexico and Australia.

The firm established assembly operations in the United States in the early 1980s, with a plant in Smyrna, Tennessee. This facility at first built only trucks, but has since been expanded to produce several car lines. An engine plant in Decherd, Tennessee followed, and most recently a second assembly plant in Canton, Mississippi. A plant in Sunderland, UK was added in the mid-1980s.

However, financial difficulties in Australia in the late 1980s caused Nissan to cease production there.

The company's head office is now in Tokyo but will move back to Yokohama in 2010.Products

Nissan has produced an extensive range of mainstream cars and trucks, initially for domestic consumption but exported around the world since the 1950s. There was a major strike in 1953.

It also produced several memorable sports cars, including the Z-car, an affordable sports car originally introduced in 1969; and the Skyline GT-R, a hugely-powerful four-wheel-drive sports coupe that is regarded by many as Japan's Porsche 911 and that has unfortunately rarely been seen (except as a gray import) outside Japan. However, in Canada cars that are older than 15 years may be legally registered, and at this time many R32 generation skylines are owned and driven by Canadian citizens who have had them imported.

Nissan sells its luxury models in North America under the Infiniti brand.Non-Automobile Products

Nissan has also had a number of ventures outside the automotive industry, most notably the Tu-Ka mobile phone service (est. 1994), which was sold to Japan Telecom in 1999.Past and current modelsDatsun

* Datsun 100A * Datsun 120Y * Datsun 140J * Datsun 180B * Datsun 200L * Datsun 240C * Datsun 240Z (1969) * Datsun 260C * Datsun 260Z * Datsun 280Z * Datsun 510 Sedan (1968-1973) * Datsun 1200 Sedan (1958) * Datsun 1500, 1600, 2000 Roadster (1962-1970) * Datsun B210 * Datsun Bluebird (1962) * Datsun King Cab Truck * Datsun Patrol (1962) * Datsun SPL 210 (1960) * Datsun Truck (1959)

Nissan

* Nissan 100NX * Nissan 200SX (US 2-door Sentra) * Nissan 300ZX (Z31, Z32) * Nissan 350Z (Z33) * Nissan Almera * Nissan Altima * Nissan Armada * Nissan Auster * Nissan Bluebird * Nissan Cedric * Nissan Cefiro * Nissan Cherry * Nissan Cima * Nissan Elgrand * Nissan Fairlady * Nissan Frontier * Nissan Gazelle * Nissan Hardbody Truck * Nissan Kubistar * Nissan Laurel * Nissan Leopard * Nissan Maxima * Nissan Multi * Nissan Murano * Nissan Micra * Nissan Moco, a Keicar * Nissan NX2000 * Nissan NX1600 * Nissan Patrol/Safari * Nissan Pathfinder * Nissan Pintara * Nissan Prairie * Nissan Primastar * Nissan Primera * Nissan Pulsar * Nissan Quest * Nissan Sentra * Nissan Silvia/180SX/200SX/240SX * Nissan Skyline * Nissan Skyline GT-R * Nissan Stanza * Nissan Stanza Wagon * Nissan Sunny * Nissan Teana * Nissan Terrano * Nissan Terrano II * Nissan Titan * Nissan Urvan * Nissan Vanette * Nissan Violet * Nissan Wingroad * Nissan X-Trail * Nissan Xterra

Datsun Model 16 Sedan Jidosha Seizo Co.,Ltd. (Present Nissan Motor Co.,Ltd.) began automobile production using a conveyer belt in Yokohama in 1933, slightly ahead of Toyota. The Datsun ruled the day with its rational design and pleasant style. The Model 16 appeared in 1937 and its price at the time was 2,100 yen.

Under the 1936 Law Concerning the Manufacture of Motor Vehicles, which was designed to protect and foster the Japanese automotive industry, Nissan procured the design and facilities to produce large passenger cars from Graham-Paige of the U.S. Based on this acquisition, Nissan commenced production and sales of the Nissan Model 70 in 1937. The Model 70 initially came only as a sedan, but a phaeton model was also made available later. In all, about 5,500 units of the Model 70 were produced.

Nissan Model 70 Phaeton

Datsun Fairlady Model SP310 1963Developed in 1962, this was Japan's first genuine sports car. The Fairlady's sleek body was fitted with an in-line four-cylinder OHV engine and used the same chassis as the Bluebird Model 312. It was an open three-seater with an unusual rear seat facing sideways. The car was entered in the first Japan Grand Prix of 1963, and won the championship against such foreign-made sports cars as the Porsche and the Triumph TR4. Other Fairlady models, the 1600 (SP311) and the 2000 (SR311), were subsequently developed and greatly invigorated the motor sports scene. Honda S500 Model AS280 1964Widely known as a manufacturer of motor-cycles, Honda ventured into four-wheel-vehicle production with the release of its first real lightweight sports car, the model S500. It made its debut in 1963 as a mass-produced version of the previous year's S360 prototype. Equipped with a super-small, four-cylinder, twin-camshaft 531cc engine with a 4CV carburetor, it could maintain 44hp/8000rpm and was capable of speeds up to 130km/hr. As a two-seater convertible compact car, its performance and agility won acclaim, and it soon became popular among younger people. This model later developed into the S600 and the S800 and formed the base for Honda's car manufacturing division.

Toyota Sports 800 Model UP15 1965The Publica sports model made its appearance at the Tokyo Motor Show in 1962 as a prototype for the Toyota Sports 800 released in 1965. It possessed an aerodynamic, functional style and used components of the Publica, but the costs were reduced to capture a larger market share. Its price was ¥595,000. With its detachable top and a 790cc horizontal two-cylinder air-cooled engine capable of reaching speeds up to 155km/hr, it was definitely a fun car to drive.

Isuzu Bellett 1600GT Model PR90 1966Released in 1963, the Isuzu Bellett offered a variety of seating, transmission, and hand brakes that customers can choose from, to meet the diversifying market needs. The 1600GT, announced in April of the following year, was the first Japanese-made passenger car to be labeled 'GT' (for gran tourismo, or grand touring). Equipped with an SU twin carburetor, the Bellett 1600GT's powerful engine and rapid acceleration earned it a reputation as a high performance model, and the car did well in motor sports as well.

Nissan Prince Skyline (2000GT-B) Model S54 1967During the 1960s, Prince Motors developed the Skyline GT amid the growing boom in motor sports. The 2000GT-B, a mass production model based on the GT, was first marketed in 1965. Its sporty features, including an engine tuned to three serial carburetors, the steering wheel, and instruments, made the car a very popular sports sedan. With the introduction of the standard GT-A model in September 1965, the earlier model was renamed the GT-B. Prince and Nissan Motor merged 1966, and Skylines produced between that year and 1968 retained the 'Prince' name.

Toyota 1600GT Model RT55 1967The same trend that took the popular people's car to a sportier level influenced a change in the 1600cc class. Toyota responded with a hardtop model Sports Coupe 1600GT. Equipped with a 9R DOHC engine, it was very compact but possessed high-performance speeds of 175km/hr. It also had a clean, comfortable interior, and, like the Toyota 2000GT, had a five-speed transmission (four-speed transmission was also available). This 1600GT was a high-level, high-performance touring car, and won instant popularity.

Toyota 2000GT Model MF10 1968In 1960s, when oil crises were yet to come, exhaust emission controls were not legislated, many new attractive sports cars were introduced. Among them the highly efficient Grand Tourismo Toyota 2000 GT was released in 1965. Its long hood, balanced styling, back-bone frame structure, and six-cylinder, twin-camshaft engine were the result of the efforts of designers and engineers who had been given free reign. This car set three world records and 13 international records at the Yatabe Test Course. The high performance of this car surpassed world standards.

Mazda Cosmo Sport Model L10B 1969The Toyo Kogyo Company entered into a technical tie-up with Germany's NSU to acquire the technology for a rotary piston engine. In 1967, after a number of stringent test runs and improvements, Mazda announced the Mazda Cosmo Sport, Japan's first passenger car powered by a rotary piston engine. Its futuristic styling had a strong visual impact and its 49lcc X 2 small-displacement rotary engine surpassed even the 2-liter class reciprocal engines with its 128ps output. It was praised for its high-performance features. In 1968, this L10B model underwent some minor changes which pushed its top speeds up to 200km/hr.

Nissan R380 1966The Prince R380 established an E-Class world record in 1965 at Yatabe Racing Course. Japan's first mid-ship engine racing car began its success in the Third Grand Prix in 1966 with the Nissan R380 models taking first and second place. Its gear driven 6-cylinder twin-cam engine, Type GR-8 was later mounted and tuned for the famous Skyline. The R380 performed well not only in the Grand Prix, but in many other races as well. The model was still converted to the Group 7 in 1968, and developed to R381 model equipped with Chevrolet's 5.5 liter V8-engine.

Toyota 7 1970Just like the 2000GT and 1600GT models, which had developed the technology from endurance car racing, Toyota started the"Group 7"regulation by releasing the V8, twin-camshaft engine, two-seater racing car built in cooperation with Yamaha. At its debut in the Japan Grand Prix in May 1968, it was squeezed out of the contest by Porsche and Nissan, but it came back the following year to finish third. Although Toyota released the new 7 equipped with a turbocharged,5-Iiter engine in 1970 for the Japan Grand Prix, the 800ps monster never made a run owing to the cancellation of the Grand Prix.

Introducing a Full-Range of Body OptionsOwing to advancements in technology and production techniques, a full choice of options was introduced, expanding the number of car types available. This wide variation allowed the user to purchase according to her/his individual needs.

Toyopet Crown Model RS41 1963Having pioneered the luxury car market in Japan, the Crown was fully remodeled in 1962. Anticipating the advent of the high-speed traffic age, the second-generation model boasted superior performance at high speeds, and a comfortable roomy interior. The exterior design was also modernized, featuring a radiator grille shaped as a stylized letter T, as well as the hood and trunk lid completely flush with the body. Its successor, the Type MS40 Series further added various features and offered a wide range of models to respond to the diverse needs of the market.

Toyopet Corona Model RT50 1965 Having already secured success in the family sedan market, the Corona sought to further expand its market share with the sporty 1600S model in April 1965. In June, Toyota produced Japan's first hardtop model. Its attractive style with no center pillar in the windows gave it a more airy feeling. It became the favorite car of the younger generation. The Corona was Toyota's first response to the increasing demand for a personal sporty car.

Prince Gloria Super 6 Model 41 1964Prince Motors, Ltd. (now Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.) added this model to the second generation Gloria in 1963, featuring an overhead camshaft (OHC) six-cylinder engine for the first time among Japanese production models. This car featured a maximum speed of 155 km/h, a smooth ride and low noise levels, which established the image of luxury and high performance, and stimulated other automakers into mounting six-cylinder OHC engines on vehicles in this class.

Toyota Century Model VG20 1967 The 1967 Century, a step above the Crown Eight with its completely new design, was an internationally competitive luxury car, a prestige saloon. Named to commemorate the 100 years since Sakichi Toyoda's birth and the Meiji Era's centennial, it displayed unbelievable performance and Japan-like styling. It weighed more than 1.7 tons, had a high-performance, 2.9-Iiter V8 engine and was capable of reaching speeds of 170km/hr. Its weight and smooth ride concealed the high-performance engine it possessed.

Toyota Corolla Sprinter Model KE15 1968Diversifying needs did not only apply to high-class car; makers were also active in creating new models to satisfy the strong demand for a people's car. The Corolla Sprinter appeared among the many car types as a two-door sedan with a hatch-back style. Its sporty style and small 1.1-liter engine achieved speeds of up to 160km/hr, and it was available at the low price of ¥587,000. It was a car capable of satisfying even the sports car enthusiast. Sales were accordingly brisk.

Suzuki Fronte 360 Model LC10 1967This rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive (RR) mini passenger car was designed to accommodate four adults and cruise at 100 km/h on expressways that were growing rapidly at the time. Ever since the Suzulight SF was launched in 1955, Suzuki Motor Co.,Ltd.(now Suzuki Motor Corp.) had persisted with the front-engine, front-wheel-drive (FF) configuration, until it adopted RR for the Fronte to simplify the structure and improve maneuverability.

Honda N360 Model N360 1969In the field of four-wheeled vehicles, Honda initially manufactured sports cars and trucks. In February 1967, Honda entered the mini-car market with the N360, which far outperformed conventional mini-cars by established automakers. With the engine placed in the front in a transverse position, the front-wheel-drive car was only three meters in length within the legal limit. Nevertheless, it boasted the largest interior space in its class, and produced a respectable maximum speed of 115km/h.

Toyopet Corona Mark II Model RT62 1968Between the Corona and the Crown, the new Corona MarkII was released in September 1968. Toyota adopted the naming style common in England, as with"Jaguar MarkII,"to signal a model change or upgrade. There was no resistance on the part of users to this Corona upgrade. Initially, it was equipped with a two-door hardtop and a 1.9-liter engine also. There were 11 basic models to choose from with 52 wide variations available. By December, it was a runaway best-seller with more than 20,000 cars sold in that month.

Nissan Silvia Model CSP311 1966Introduced in 1965, the two-seater based on the Datsun Fairlady chassis featured a new 1,600cc engine and an innovative styling. The new engine managed to produce 90hp despite the constraint of OHV. For the first time in Japan, Nissan adopted the Porsche-type servo synchro transmission for this car. The Silvia was valued as a sporty automobile that could also be used for formal occasions.

Mitsubishi Colt Galant GTO-MR Model A53C 1971The Colt Galant made its debut in 1969, and the sporty Galant GTO series was added the next year. Of the three models in this series, the MR was the one fitted with Mitsubishi’s first DOHC 1.6-liter engine, which produced 125 hp and a maximum speed of 200 km/h, featuring a real high performance car with sporty interior and exterior styling as well as a reinforced chassis

Isuzu 117 Coupe Model PA90 1970Marketed in 1968 as a high-speed touring model, the Isuzu Florian-based car was widely admired as 'an artwork on wheels' because of the fastback styling designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Carrozzeria Ghia, an Italian company. It featured Japan's first electronic fuel injection-type DOHC engine, a rear heater, seat belts for all four seats, headrests, a wood-grained instrument panel studded with seven meters, etc. Because of the excellent overall balance in styling, performance, and driving comfort, the car was well-received by affluent car owners and motor enthusiasts.

Toyota Celica Model TA22 1970At the same time the Carina was released, the Celica made its debut in December of 1970. It was Japan's first authentic specialty car. This stylish and spacious two-door coupe departed radically from the sedan styles that had been used up until then. It was a high-class model built with a high-performance, twin-camshaft engine. Total stability was achieved with its great stability at high speeds and its fine cornering ability. The Celica also adopted the"full choice"system in options to fit users' needs. Its price range varied, according to the options chosen, from ¥570,000 to ¥1 million.
Rex wrote:Good link from Scott/NISTECH

http://www.nissan-global.com/E...7.pdf

http://www.nissan-global.com/E...1.pdf

http://www.nissan-global.com/G...e.pdf

I'll search for the other stuff I have.

Rex

Rex wrote:I'm sure most everyone has heard of BRE, but I thought I'd do a little digging and share what/who it was ... (Click thumbnail images for more information)

1970 - PETE BROCK, JOHN MORTON & JOHN McCOMB

BROCK RACING ENTERPRISES

P E T E R B R O C K

By the time Pete Brock had formed Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) in 1966, he was already highly respected in the automotive industry. His work and successes to date included the following:-

* A spell at the Art Centre College of Design, L.A. * Youngest automotive designer of General Motors, at 19 years of age. (Pete was hired by Chuck Jordan, later the successor to GM's head of styling Bill Mitchell). * Design work on the Chevrolet Stingray prototype with . * Chief instructor at the Carroll Shelby Driving School at the Riverside Raceway. * Designer of the Cobra Daytona Coupe. * Designer of the De Tomaso prototype featured on the March 1966 Road & Track cover. (This was a Shelby/De Tomaso joint venture which failed, and De Tomaso falsely credited Ghia with the prototype's design and manufacture, although Pete Brock designed the car and Carrozzeria Fantuzzi of Italy built it). * Designer of the Hino Samurai prototype featured on the November 1967 Road & Track cover. * Designer of the Triumph TR250K that Bob Tullius and Jim Dittemore drove for Kas Kastner at Sebring in 1968.

As the owner of Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE), Pete Brock's first success was at the wheel of the 1300cc Japanese Hino Coupe, which beat the field at the 1966 Times-Mirror event in front of a 100,000 strong crowd at Riverside Raceway. The BRE Hinos took 1st and 2nd places and created quite a stir, both in the USA and Japan - check out the BRE HINO PAGES, which include further details of Pete Brock's Hino Samurai prototype and gives a fascinating insight into Pete Brock's move from Hino to Nissan.

Following the Riverside victory, Toyota, which was on the verge of taking over the Hino Motor Co., offered Pete Brock the opportunity to race their recently announced 2000GT in SCCA racing. In the meantime, however, Carroll Shelby, who had recently lost his contract with Ford, opened a Toyota dealership in El Segundo. At the eleventh hour, the BRE/Toyota deal was pulled, and Shelby was handed the contract. Pete Brock immediately approached Datsun, and with Yutaka Katayama's blessing, the BRE-Datsun partnership was formed.

Justice was seen to have been done, when Frank Monise beat all-comers in 1969. Toyota pulled out of SCCA racing before the 1969 season, while the BRE-Datsun partnership marched on.

T H E D A T S U N R O A D S T E R C A M P A I G N S

The following linked pages include many rare photographs. The pages chart the team's 1969 and 1970 seasons, during which SCCA veteran Frank Monise and, later, John McComb, campaigned the Datsun 2000 Roadster to Divisional success in the SCCA's D Production class. John Morton also campaigned the roadster over the two seasons, moving up from D Production to C Production in 1970, and onto the 240Z later that season. Although all three drivers qualified the roadster for the ARRC, a National Championship at the whell ofthe Datsun 2000 eluded the team.

The 1969 Season

The 1970 Season

THE BRE DRIVERS AND CREW

DEVELOPMENT OF THE DATSUN U20 MOTOR

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?

Following the 1970 runoffs, Pete Brock sold both BRE roadsters to privateers, the Morton car going to BOB McQUEEN, of Smyrna, Georgia, and the Monise/McComb car to GENE FELTON of Atlanta, Georgia. The roadsters were soon to duel again, this time back in D Production, culminating in a battle between McQueen and Felton at the 1971 runoffs at their home track. After leading early in the race, Felton span on lap four, leaving McQueen to take the DP title, a feat he repeated the following year, despite heavy pressure from the semi-works Triumph teams.

The arrival of the 240Z took up much of Pete Brock's energies, and John Morton's consecutive titles in both the 240Z and the Trans Am 510 have all but overshadowed BRE's roadster years. However, the BRE roadsters are remembered with much affection on the West Coast, and the preparation and engineering that went into them helped bring the SCCA Production classes into a new era.

As for Brock's other two roadster drivers, Frank Monise went back to campaign his trusted Lotus XI, which he took to the 1970 runoffs, and John McComb went on to race with Group 44, where he picked up a National Championship with the Triumph TR6.

Note: Only two BRE roadsters were built - the Morton car survives and she was being raced again in the year 2000 by privateer Bob d!ck, who purchased the car from Ken Glasener. The Monise/McComb car also came to light in 2001 - owned by John Robinson, whose father took the car to the 1983 Runoffs.
Rex wrote:The Z Car Goes Racing and Ends Up In The History Books.Contributed By: Carl Beck, IZCC #260The Purpose Of This Page:This summary is intended to provide you with a "Quick Reference Guide" to the very early Z Cars, as well as the people that surrounded them.

It is published here to serve as a reference which may help you keep all the players and cars organized in your thinking, as you learn ever more about the history of the Z Car and the people that made it happen.

The Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) and Bob Sharp Racing (BSR) Teams, And The People Surrounding/Supporting Their Competition Efforts.

Who Was Who, At That Time (69/70):

Nissan Motor Company in U.S.A.- Yutaka Katayama, President of Nissan Motor Co. U.S.A.

- Mr. Kawazoe, Vice President, Eastern Sales Division of Nissan Motor Co. U.S.A.- Lee Wylie, National Service Manager, Nissan Motors In U.S.A.

- Bob Yorba, Supervisor Product Support Group

- Tom O'Connor, Performance Parts Manager

The BRE Team 1970/1971:- Peter Brock, Owner/Team Manager

- John Morton, BRE Z Car #46 Driver (1970 & 71)

- Dan Parkinson BRE Z Car #3 Driver (1971)

- Mac Tilton, Crew Chief

- John Caldwell, Chief Engine Builder

- Floyd Link, Engine Builder

- Ray Guss, Engine Builder

- George Boskoff, Can Do Anything and Everything...

- John Knepp - Electronics and Transmissions

- Kirk Allergo - mechanic, (can do anything else too)

About The BRE Team:Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) was formed by Peter [Pete] Brock in 1966 after he left the Carol Shelby Racing Team. Pete thought he had a deal with Toyota to race their 2000GT in 1966/67, however that contract and the cars were given to Carol Shelby instead. Pete then turned to Datsun and gained a contract to assist in the high performance development of their 2000 Roadster.

Pictured At Top: John Morton poses with the BRE 240Z and its crew. Pete Brock (behind the car with ascot) BRE Team Owner/Manager won Datsun the 1970 and 1971 SCCA C Production Championships with the Datsun 240-Z.

BRE Timeline:1968: Pete Brock receives his first contract with Nissan Motors to undertake a high performance development of the Datsun 2000 roadster.

1969: Pete Brock sees the first pictures of the new Z Car in late summer.

1970: Late in Jan. the BRE Team received their first Z Car, straight from the first boatload of 20 cars into the States .

Main Sponsors:Nissan Motor Co. U.S.A.-Western Division, Champion Spark Plugs, Valvoline Oil Company and FRAM Oil and Air Filters. (I still buy all these products to this day..ed).

The BSR Team:- Bob Sharp, Owner

- Bob Sharp, Driver Z Car #33 (70 thru 75)

- Jim Fitzgerald, Driver Z Car# 38

- Pete Mullen, BSR Competition Manager

- John Jasensky, (Jasen), Race Engine Specialists

Main Sponsors: Nissan Motors Eastern Division, Bob Sharp Datsun/Ferrari, Sunoco Oil Company

About The BSR Team:Bob Sharp started racing Datsun's in 1966 driving a Datsun 1500 roadster. He moved on to race the Datsun 1600 and 2000 roadsters in SCCA competition. In 1969 he opened his own Datsun Dealership.

Bob received support for his racing program from Mr. Kawazoe, then Nissans Eastern Division Vice President, NMC-USA. Bob saw his first Z Car at the New York Auto Show, that car then went on to the Toronto Auto Show where it was damaged when a model sat on the roof.

Because it could not be sold to the public, nor was it any longer good as a show car, it was given to BSR for their racing program. Bob said that he remembers that the car was Dark Green. (this was HLS30 00006). Thus Bob Sharp Racing received their first Z Car at least two months ahead of the BRE Team on the West Coast. BRE had to wait on the first regular shipment of Datsuns to arrive before they received their first Z Car...

Interesting Tid-Bits:

Crankshafts: The Z Cars that came in on the first boatload from Japan (20 cars) had six counterweighted crankshafts - this lead to serious harmonic vibration problems above 6000RPM, and lead to failures in the racing engines. An eight counter weight crankshaft has been standard since that first shipment.

Cost To Build: Pete Brock said in Nov. of 1970, that it would cost about $11,500 to build Car #46 (not counting the R&D spent on the racing program by Nissan). A stock Porsche 911S at that time was around $10,500 and $40,000+ in SCCA racing trim (not counting the R &D spent by the factory)

Spooks and Spoilers: The rear spoiler was supplied as a Factory part from Japan. The front "Spook" was developed by Pete Brock.

While the SCCA rules did not allow aerodynamic devices,they did allow "cooling ducts" for brakes...so the front air spoiler with brake cooling scoops was added to the BRE cars:-)... the combined air "spoiler" and brake "scoop" resulted in the "BRE Front Spook" , very creative indeed!

Horsepower: The early 240Z engines in the BRE car were putting out 240HP + according to BRE (everyone knew it was more than that based on the cars performance however).

Early Car & Driver List - 70 / 77:

Race Car #3 Driver Dan Parkinson, BRE Team( BRE Car # 3 is currently fully restored and owned by Gerry Mason & raced by Gerry Mason Jr.)

Race Car #11 Driver Don Kerney, Boulton Motors, Miami

Race Car #14 Bob Speakman (HLS30 00008)

Race Car #33 Driver Bob Sharp, BSR Team (HLS30 000?)(This is the second Z Car to wear the BSR# 33, it is still owned by Bob Sharp)

Race Car #38 Driver Jim Fitzgerald, BSR Team (HLS30 00006 - Driven first by Bob Sharp as Race Car #33, then given to Jim Fitzgerald. This car is currently owned by Dr.Allan Robbins of SharpSight Racing. It has been fully restored to is original racing condition).

Race Car #45 Driver Walt Mass, Fremont Datsun

Race Car #46 Driver John Morton, BRE Team (VIN not known, but it was from the first shipload of 20 cars that arrived in Jan. 1970 -#46 has been reported as destroyed in Phoenix race)

Race Car #48 Driver Frank Leary, FAR Performance

Race Car #85 Logan Blackburn

SCCA C/P Championships: (C Production )

1970 John Morton, BRE 240Z #46

1971 John Morton, BRE 240Z #46

1972 Bob Sharp, BSR 240Z #33

1973 Bob Sharp, BSR 240Z #33

1974 Walt Maas, Fremont Datsun 260Z #45

1975 Bob Sharp, BSR 280Z #33

1976 Elliot Forbes-Robinson Jr. BSR 280Z #33

1977 Logan Blackburn, Race Car #85

1978 Frank Leary

1979 Paul Newman, BSR (280ZX bodied 240Z engine) #33

1984 Morris Clement, 280ZX (2.8L) - ???? C Production??

SCCA SSA Championships:

1977 D. J. Fazekas

1978 D. J. Fazekas

SCCA GT1 Championships:

1982 Paul Newman, BSR (280ZX Turbo 2.8L)

SCCA GT2 Championships:

1984 Morris Clement #21

1986 Scott Sharp BSR 280Z Car# 33 (same 1975 Championship Car, driven by his Father Bob Sharp.)

IMSA GT/U (Grand Touring Under 2.5L)

1976 Brad Frisselle, #47

1979 Don Devendorf, Electramotive Racing, #83 )

IMSA GTO (Grand Touring Over 2.5L)

1982 Don Devendorf, Electramotive Racing #83 (280ZX Turbo 2.8L)

Other Cars and Drivers Of Special Note:

- Race Car #14 Bob Speakman -first car to complete 24 Hours At Daytona in 75(HLS30 00008 Delivered to Bob Speckman in Lutherville, MD, buy d!ck Roberts - fully restored to original racing condition, raced in Vintage Racing events today by Dr. Tom Bork)

- Race Car #83 - Don Devendorf's Electromotive 280ZX Turbo Car(IMSA GTU)

* Frank Leary & FAR Performance 280ZX Turbo

- Race Car #38 Jim Fitzgerald SCCA GT-2 280ZX

- Race Car #48 Frank Honsowetz IMSA GTU

Datsun/Nissan Engine Builders of Special Note:

John Caldwell - BRE Team,

Floyd Link

John Knepp - Electramotive Team

Gene Crowe - Bob Sharp Racing

Rex

Nissan Enters 1971 BRE Datsun 510 in Monterey Historic Trans-Am Race

- John Morton Returns to Drive Championship-Winning Datsun -GARDENA, Calif. (Aug. 15, 2001) -- Thirty years after winning one of the most memorable Trans-Am races in history, John Morton and Nissan Motorsports return to Laguna Seca Raceway with the 1971 BRE Datsun 510 to participate in the 28th Annual Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races, Aug. 17-19.

The 1971 Trans-Am 2.5 Challenge championship came down to the last race of the season, held at Laguna Seca Raceway. John Morton, in the BRE Datsun 510, and Horst Kwech, in the Alfa Romeo GTV, battled side-by-side until Morton stopped for fuel. Kwech took the checkered flag in first place, but was disqualified a few hours later for having an illegal fuel tank. Morton, who finished second, was announced the winner.

"That race was the single most exciting set of circumstances that resulted in a race win and championship," said John Morton. "Nothing, not prior or since, compares to the emotions of that day."

The victory was the sixth of the season for Datsun, earning the Morton the driver's championship and Nissan the manufacturer's title.

In 1972, Datsun continued to dominate the 2.5 Challenge, winning nine races and the championship. At the end of the season, the No. 46 BRE Datsun 510 retired to storage at Nissan North America, Inc. John Morton, who won the 1972 2.5 Trans-Am Series driver's championship as well, maintained his relationship with Nissan, winning numerous road racing victories for the manufacturer in the '80s and '90s.

"I am thrilled to get behind the wheel of the No. 46 BRE Datsun 510 once again," continued Morton. "The Datsun you will see this weekend at the Monterey Historic races is the exact same car I raced at Laguna Seca thirty years ago. The technicians at Nissan Motorsports pulled it out of the museum a few months ago, and prepped the car as you would for any race back then. It is prepared in the true spirit of vintage racing."

Earlier this year, Nissan Motorsports decided to bring back the BRE Datsun 510, not only to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the 510's greatest victory, but also to pay tribute to the motorsports heritage of Nissan.

"Looking back at the dominance the 510 had in the Trans-Am series in the early 70s, reminds us that our tradition to build cars that are performance-focused dates back to when we first started selling cars in the United States," said Steve Kight, director of motorsports, Nissan North America, Inc. "This same passion for performance still exists today with cars such as the new 2002 Sentra SE-R sports sedan, which definitely has some 510 DNA."

Practice for The 28th Annual Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races at Laguna Seca Raceway is Aug. 17, while the Historic Trans-Am Cars will race at 3:50 p.m., Aug. 19. Speedvision will broadcast a two-hour Monterey Historic special in September. Check local listings for date and time.

In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. More information on Nissan in North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at http://www.nissandriven.com and http://www.infiniti.com.

Morton Drives Legendary 1971 BRE Datsun 510 To Class Victory at Monterey HistoricsGARDENA, Calif. (Aug. 22, 2001) - Thirty years after his first Trans-Am victory at Laguna Seca, with the No. 46 Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) Datsun 510, John Morton returned to once again give racing fans a fantastic show with the legendary Nissan.

Driving with the same passion and flair as the early 70s, Morton won his class in the1966-1972 Historic Trans-Am race at the 28th Annual Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races on Aug. 19. Nissan Motorsports and Morton also received the Rolex Award for Outstanding Presentation and Performance for the preparation of the Datsun 510, which won the 1971 and 1972 Trans-Am 2.5 Challenge Championships.

"It was fun doing it," said John Morton, after the 10-lap race on the 2.24-mile Laguna Seca road course. "This car has never failed to lead a race. It was real good in the corkscrew, the Datsun being so nimble."

Morton started 20th in the field of 32 historic Trans-Am cars, which included two classes of competition: the original big-bore pony cars, and the 2.5 Challenge class designed for cars under 2.5-liters.

Racing against the sister BRE Datsun 510, driven by Tommy Riggins of Jacksonville, Fla., a pair of Alfa Romeos, and a BMW 1600, Morton led the 2.5 Challengers from start to finish. He spent most of the race battling with the larger, more powerful cars in the field.

Automobile Magazine writer Preston Lerner noted, "The Datsun 510 was like a waterbus among the big cars, darting through traffic."

Peter Brock, owner and team manager of the original BRE team, also attended the landmark racing appearance of the 1971 Datsun 510. Reunited with John Morton, the pair appeared to be a fan favorite for autograph seekers attending the Monterey Historic Automobile Races in Northern California, which entertained a three-day crowd of 43,500.

"There were so many Datsun 510 owners and fans, it was never-ending all day long," said Ron Stukenberg, corporate manager, motorsports marketing and operations, Nissan North America, Inc.

In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. More information on Nissan in North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at http://www.nissandriven.com and http://www.infiniti.com.

Rex

The Nissan Silvia CSP311 made it's public debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in September of 1964. For the design of the Silvia, Nissan engaged the services of a German designer by the name of Count Albrect Graf Goertz. Goertz was trained in Germany and in the 1950s traveled to the United States where he worked for Studebaker, designing the Studebaker Starliner. He then returned to Germany, where he was employed by BMW. His work at BMW included the gorgeous 507 convertible. He then moved to Porsche, where he was part of the design team working on the 911. In the 1960s he was on his way to Nissan. His first job there was to take over the Silvia project. According to Goertz, the Japanese designers saw the design process as being an amalgamation of seperate ideas. Goertz designed the car as a single entity that included many of his trademark features seen previously on cars like the BMW 507, such as a long bonnet line that lunges forward of an open grille, large wheels and wheel arches and small, delicate bumper bars. The Silvia was the first Japanese car designed using a full scale clay mock-up. Goertz later worked on other projects for Nissan including a four seater version of the Silvia that never reached production. He also came up with the concept and initial designs for the Datsun 240Z, unfortunately Nissan chose to heavily redesign the 240Z, eventually settling on a blander design for the production version, rather than the bold design by Goertz.

Silvia Body Construction and Mechanical Details The Silvia's body work was all hand built, with hand beaten panelwork of extraordinary quality, every Silvia I have seen has near perfect panel gaps and flawlessly straight panels. Unfortunately the parts of the car you don't usually see, such as behind the interior upholdstery, behind the dash board and in the wheel arches, are all incredibly rough. They feature vaguely fitting sheetmetal with big daggy lumps of weld hanging off and sharp edges where you can see the tin-snip marks along the edges. (I've recieved many injuries from sharp edges under the Silvia while working on the four Silvias I've restored) As a result of this behind the scenes roughness, the Silvia is the only Early Datsun to encounter rust problems, usually causing some headaches with the sills, the bottom of the doors, the foot wells and the bottom of the wheel arches. Having said that, the Silvia is still better than many cars of the same era and can be easily modified when restoring the car.She is built with quite thick gauge sheetmetal which is great for the quality of the car but the extra weight detracts from it's performance. The Silvia sits on a modified Fairlady 1500 SP310 chassis, the main differences being the addition of new bumper bar mounts and some changes to the mounting points for the body. The floor pan is mostly derived from the SP310. She sat on 14" wheels that were 4 1/2" wide (the 14" wheels fitted to the later Fairlady 1600 SP311 were only 4" wide). She was the first Japanese production car fitted with disc brakes, using Dunlop Sumitomo twin piston callipers (the same as those used on the E-type Jaguar and the Ferrari 330) operating on 284mm rotors. These were later used on the SP311. At the back were the 228mm drum brakes from the Fairlady 1500. Most of the front end and steering was carried over from the Fairlady 1500, the only major differences being spring rates and different hubs. This meant she had double wishbone independant front suspension and a leaf sprung live rear axle. Steering was via a cam and lever box with a 14.8:1 ratio. Power was delivered via a 4.11:1 ratio hypoid bevel diff. (optional 3.889:1) The electrical system was a departure from the norm for Nissan, being the first of their cars to be fitted with a 12 volt negative earth system (all previous Datsuns had 12 volt positive earth). She also used an alternator instead of the usual generater.

Silvia Engine & Gearbox The Silvia was the first car fitted with Nissan's new R engine. The R engine was a further development of the 1488cc G engine, which was a massively improved version of the Austin B series engine, which was borrowed from Austin during their post war alliance. The R engine was a 1595cc over head valve engine with a 3 bearing crankshaft. The bore size was 87.2mm and the stroke 66.8mm. It was fitted with two 38mm Hitachi SU carbs and a light weight pressed steel exhaust manifold. It produced 96hp at 6000rpm and 103ft-lb of torque at 4000rpm. Later cars had an R engine with an alloy head and a 5 bearing crankshaft. The Silvia's engine was later used in the Fairlady 1600 and the Bluebird SSS RL411. A single carb version was later used in the Datsun Homer truck, the Datsun forklift and numerous other vehicles. It was later bored out to 2 litres and called the H20, this was used in commercials until the 1980s. The Silvia was the first Datsun to have synchromesh on all forward gears. She had a 4 speed close ratio gearbox with Porsche type servo-synchros and a floor change selector. Ratios were:- 1st 3.382, 2nd 2.013, 3rd 1.312, 4th 1.000 and reverse 3.365. It was also the first Datsun to have a single plate clutch with diaphragm springs, previous ones had single plates with coil cushioning springs. Clutch diameter was 200mm.

Silvia Dimensions The Silvia weighed 978kg, substantially more than the Fairlady's 920kg, which explains the need for the 4.11:1 diff, so it can keep up with the Fairlady (with a 3.889:1 diff) under accelleration. Silvia's vital statistics are :-Overall length - 3985mmOverall width - 1510mmOverall height - 1275mmWheelbase - 2280mmFront track - 1270mmRear track - 1198mmGround clearance - 170mm

Silvia Sales Figures Many books have refered to the Silvia's sales figures as being disappointing or as one book said "a failure", due to the fact that they only sold 554 of them. I doubt Nissan intended to build many more than that, if they did they would have geared it up for a full production run rather than hand assembling each car, which is a slow and expensive way to build a car, especially if you want to make a lot of them. The other reason they weren't likely to sell a lot of them was the price. The list price in Australia in 1966 was $4390, which mean't it was far brom being a cheap car. To give you an idea of how expensive it was, here's a list of prices of other cars in 1966.Nissan Silvia $4390 Datsun Bluebird $1798Datsun Fairlady $2690 Nissan Cedric Custom 6 $2950Alfa Romeo Giulia $3730 Citroen ID19 Parisienne $3476Holden Premier $2660 Honda S600 convertible $1990Prince Skyline GT $2850 Jaguar Mark 2 $5086MGB $2840 Lotus Super 7 $2900Lotus Elan $4300 Mercedes-Benz 200 sedan $5088Morgan Plus 4 $2880 Triumph TR4 IRS $3580Nissan and Datsun were also virtually unknown brand names in mostcountries in the 1960s, the fact that they sold as many Silvias as they did atthat price against cars such as the Lotus Elan is a testament to the exceptional quality of the car. Nissan gives the following production and sales figures for the Silvia. Thesefigures represent both right hand drive and left hand drive models. They were all right hand drive, with the exception of one left hand drive prototype.YEAR PRODUCTION DOMESTIC SALES EXPORT1964 27 0 01965 422 222 21966 20 161 531967 67 51 21968 18 37 11969 0 8 11970 0 1 01974 0 1 0TOTAL 554 481 59There's a few odd things about Nissan's official figures, one of them being why was a car sold in 1974, a full 6 years after the last one was built. The other thing you will notice is the domestic sales plus the export sales equal 540, which is 14 cars short of the 554 production total. What happened to the missing 14 cars ? Two possibilities are that they went to some executives in the Nissan Motor Co. and as a result didn't show up as sales, or they were the prototypes. The other possibility is the abacus got stuck in the auditer's office! I'm not sure which countries recieved the Silvia. I know that 49 were sold in Australia, so that left 10 for the rest of the world. The Silvia I currently own was sold new in Papua New Guinea and shipped privately into Australia. In my collection of sales brochures I have a Silvia brochure from the United States. It has a USA address on it and the car has badges that say "Datsun Coupe 1600" instead of the usual "Nissan Silvia" badges. This leads me to believe they were sold in the USA, but going on the above info it was no more than 9 cars. In Australia the cars all wore Nissan Silvia badges but they were marketed as the Nissan 1600 Coupe. The Australian sales brochures refered to them as the Datsun Coupe 1600 and some local motoring magazines called the car the Datsun 1600 Coupe or the Nissan GT Coupe (though most called it Sylvia). The Nissan name on the car confused some people, as most cars built by Nissan were called Datsuns. The reason for this is that they were marketing their less expensive cars under the Datsun name (Datsun Bluebird, Datsun Fairlady) and the more up-market cars were being marketed under the Nissan name (Nissan Cedric, Nissan Silvia), a similar situation to today, where the cheaper cars are Nissans and the luxury cars are called Infiniti.

Silvia Chassis Numbers Another interesting thing about the Silvia is that the ID plate under thebonnet is printed in Japanese, they never bothered to print an English one. It also lists the engine's horsepower figure as 90 P.S. (whatever the hell P.S. is) rather than as 96hp. The chassis numbering is a little odd too. The number stamped on the chassis and the ID plate begins with the SP311 prefix, leading you to think it is a SP311 Fairlady 1600 chassis. The thing that tells you it's a Silvia chassis is the first of the 5 numbers after the dash in the\ chassis number, all Silvia chassis start with the number 7. for example Silvia number 231 has the chassis number SP311-70231. All Fairlady 1600s have a number starting with 0, for example SP311-01060. (While on the subject of chassis numbers, all pre 1965 Datsuns except for the Silvia, have a middle number between two dashes, example SP310-4-00123, the middle number tells you the year the car was made, for example, a -4- indicates a 1964 car, a -3- is a 1963 car, etc. Many people think they have a very early car, thinking their SP310-4-00005 is the 5th car made, but the numbers start from 00000 at the start of each year,so SP310-4-00005 is the 5th car built in 1964.) The Silvia also has a body number as well as a chassis number, the only Datsun I know of with one. The body number is stamped on the body on, of all places, the small tower structure in the boot (luggage compartment) that holds the striker bar for the boot lock. When you open the boot, look down at the striker. Between the striker and the lip of the boot opening you'll see the 3 digit number, why they put it there I'll never know.If you can't see it you may have to scrape off the paint(ouch) to see it. Also the number is written, with a thick felt pen, on the back of nearly every large non-painted part of the car. The door trims, the metal upholdstered panels in the cabin, the bumpers, centre console, dashboard, they all have it. At first I thought it was a bit odd, and excessive, but I soon learned the hard way, why they are all numbered. At one stage I owned 3 Silvias, all in need of restoration, I thought I'd make one really good car with the best parts and 2 not as good cars with the rest. But when I went to swap parts off one car and onto the other they wouldn't fit !!!!! They didn't even come close. Fully hand built cars have their panels formed to roughly the right shape on a jig (see the photos of the Silvia jig in the photo section), then they are formed to their final shape while building the car, all the panels being beaten into shape to suit the rest of the car. As a result of this method of construction, every part is unique to that car. On a Silvia the bumper bars won't fit properly from one car to the other, nor will the doors or the bonnet. One of my cars was fitted with a replacement (brand new) front guard, this left gaping great 11mm panel gaps. The brand new guard had to be beaten into place to make it fit.

Silvia Interior The interior of the Silvia is quite small, but surprisingly comfortable. The foot wells are very deep, which allows plenty of legroom. I'm 5'11" and if I have the seats in the 2nd of the 2 seat holes and have the seat set all the way back, I can't properly reach the pedals. Headroom is a different story. I have just enough room to put my hand between my head and the ceiling. You learn to duck if you hit a big bump in the road. The seats are barely 1 inch off the floor, and only about 10 inches above the road. The driving position is nearly identical to the 1600 Fairlady, and feels close to perfect to me. In front of you sits a beautifully designed dashboard, similar in design to that of a Ferrari 246GT Dino, with an eye shaped instrument cluster. Instruments include a 120mph speedo, a 7000rpm tacho with oil and amp warning lights, a temp gauge, a fuel gauge and a clock. Sitting on the transmission tunnel is a centre console that stretches up under the dash. It houses a then state of the art push button AM radio with 1 speaker,\ toggle switches for the lights, wipers and map light, knobs for the choke, the manual washer pump and the cigar lighter. In front of that is the gear lever and in front of that, an ash tray. Under the central arm rest is a handy storage box. Under the dash are the heater and vent slide controls, the ignition switch and dash light dimmer rheostat. The dashboards of all Silvias look identical but some are made of sheet metal and some are fibreglass. Mounted on the ceiling is a (really cool) eye-ball map light that can be swivelled around to shine a concentrated beam of light to every corner of the cabin. In your hands is a rather large 400mm gorgeous looking wood rimmed steering wheel, slightly off-set towards the centre of the car. Behind you is a padded parcel shelf. At the rear of the car is a surprisingly big boot, fully upholdstered and carpeted. Recessed into the boot lid is the locking flap for the fuel cap. The fuel filler is easily the worst feature of the car. You can't put fuel into a Silvia faster than about 5 litres per minute. If you try to go faster it will suddenly, and without warning, fire a great gush of petrol back at you, covering you and the back of the car with a couple of litres of fuel. (Though this is handy if you don't like the guy at the petrol station)

Silvia - On the Road Driving the Silvia. The Silvia and the Fairlady 1600 share nearly all their mechanical components and basically the same chassis, so you'd expect them to feel pretty well the same, but they don't. The Silvia is silghtly faster, even though it's 58kg heavier then the Fairlady, thanks to it's rather low ratio diff. (it could be ordered with the optional 3.889:1 diff) The down side of this is a lower top speed of 165kph compared to the Fairlady's 170kph. The Silvia doesn't handle quite as good, due to the slightly softer springs and the extra 58 kilos it carries. Most of that extra weight is carried high in the car (it has a roof and extra glass) which raises it's centre of gravity. It still handles better than most cars. Where the Silvia is noticeably better is it's ride quality. It doesn't have the Fairlady's harshness and it offers a very comfortable ride. It handles dirt roads much better and is enormous fun when driven hard on dirt roads. She cruises comfortably at speeds up to 140kph, above that the engine noise becomes a little intrusive, and it starts to drum a bit in the cabin. It's quite aerodynamic for a 30+ year old car, and you don't get the wind noise you often get with older pre-wind tunnel cars. The brakes are quite good too. I've had a few emergency stops from high speeds and each time she's stopped dead straight and very quick. Repeated stops will show up a little fade but nothing too serious. If the brakes don't feel too good the problem is more than likely the disc rotors. For some reason these will warp slightly,especially if the car hasn't been used for a few years. Get them machined before you go rebuilding the (really expensive to rebuild) callipers. But most importantly, the main reason you buy a car like this is because of it's looks, and the Silvia looks just spectacular. Beautiful from every angle, especially in the front 3/4 view, she was perfectly balanced with her long angular bonnet and short tail. the overall subtlety of it's look hid the amazingly complex folds in it's panel work. Sports Car World magazine described her as "bold, distinctive and incredibly attractive" and "The pretiest Oriantal so far" and "an indication of Japan's sports car building potential" and "Pretty, pert and petite. Yes, the Japanese CAN match the Continent's best-- AND look original". When compared to other cars from 1964 it was an incredibly advanced design.

Silvia the Movie Star Silvia The Movie Star ! Yes, Silvia was the star of the film "The Karate Kid Part 2". Well, to say "star" might be a slight exageration, she was in it for about 20 seconds. It was the car the "baddies" were driving. The truely amazing thing is that three (3) rather big bad dudes supposedly got out of the car. That would have been a tight squeeze. I haven't seen a Silvia in any other movies or television shows, if you know of any others please let me know. (Old Japanese monster films like "Godzilla" and "Mothra" are usually worth watching just to see the old Japanese cars in the background)

Silvia - After Production Ended In 1974, 7 years after the last Silvia CSP311 rolled off the production line, Nissan resurected the Silvia name with the introduction of the Silvia S10. Often refered to by Nissan as the "New Silvia", it's production figures stand in stark contrast to the original model, with 145438 of them built between 1974 and 1979. The Silvia name continues on right up to today. The 200SX and Gazelle range are sold in Japan as the Nissan Silvia. Unfortunately they aren't a patch on the original model's stunning design, since 1979 they have been another example of conformist new car bland. Only the latest Silvia, released in Japan in 1999, comes close to being as desirable as the original Silvia.

The Silvia is a unique and beautiful car, and with only 554 ever built, it's so rare it makes a Lamborghini Countach look common. It represents an almost forgotten chapter in Japan's motoring history, but thanks to the efforts of her enthusiastic owners, many of those 554 are still in existence and each year a few more previously deceased Silvias are being returned to their former glory and are gracing the roads once again.

(found it, didn't come up with it, feel free to make corrections)

Nismochick240
Car: 95 240sx- BONE STOCK.. for now

very nice! good job! That's gonna be one massive book! haha, i'll buy one though

Rex

This seems to only up to the mid 90's
Rex wrote:And where does it belong??

Was looking for something and came across this...

A10 - 988cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 62hp - Sunny B10, 1000, B20 Pick-up

A12 - 1171cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 58hp - Sunny B110&B210, 1200, 1200 Pick-up

A14 - 1397cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 76hp - Sunny B210&B310

A15 - 1488cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 80hp - Sunny B310

C - 988cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 1 barrel down draught carb - 37hp - 210 Bluebird, S211 Sports, 220 Pick-up

C1 - 988cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 45hp - 311 and 312 Bluebird (base model cars)

CA16-DE - 1597cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, 16 valve, twin cam, twin spark plug, EFI - 113hp - Pulsar Exa Coupe

CA18-DE - 1809cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, 16 valve, twin cam, twin spark plug, EFI - 130hp - Silvia (1988), Pulsar Exa Coupe

CA18-DET - 1809cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, 16 valve, twin cam, twin spark plug, EFI - 174hp - Silvia (1988), 180SX, Gazelle, Auster 1800tt

CA20-S - 1974cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 8 valve, twin spark plug, 2 barrel d/d carb - 98hp - Bluebird (1985)

CA20-E - 1974cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 8 valve, twin spark plug, EFI - 104hp - Gazelle (1985)

CG13-DE - 1275cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, twin cam, 16 valve, EFI - 73hp - Micra

D10 - 860cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 1 barrel down draught carb - 25hp - DC-3, 110 sedan, 120 Pick-up

E - 1189cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 1 barrel down draught carb - 48hp - Bluebird 211&310, 222 Pick-up, Fairlady SP212

E1 - 1189cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 60hp - Bluebird 311,312&410, 223&320 Pick-up

E13 - 1270cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 59hp - Pulsar E (1985)

E15 - 1488cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 69hp - Pulsar (1985), Prarie

E16 - 1597cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - ??hp - Pulsar (1985)

E15-ET - 1487cc - OHC 4 cylinder, EFI, turbo - 115hp - Pulsar Exa Coupe, Pulsar Turbo

FJ20-E - 1990cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, 16 valve, twin cam, EFI - 150hp - Silvia RS (1982)

FJ20-ET - 1990cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, 16 valve, twin cam, EFI, turbo - 190hp - Silvia RS-X, Gazelle RS-X, Skyline RS-X (1982)

G - 1488cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 77hp - Cedric 30, Junior 40, Caball C140

G - 1488cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, single side draught 'SU' carb - 75hp - Fairlady SP310 (1962-1963)

G - 1488cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 85hp - Fairlady SP310 (1963-1965)

GA4 - 1484cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 73hp - Prince Skyline ALSIE

GA16-DE - 1595cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, twin cam, 16 valve, EFI - 115hp - Pulsar (1996)

GB30 - 1862cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 83hp - Prince Gloria, Skyline ALSID, Skyline Sport BLRA

GRX-3 - 5954cc - DOHC 12 cylinder, twin cam, 48 valve V12, MFI, dry sump - 580hp - R382 race car

GRX-3 KAI - 5954cc - DOHC 12 cylinder, twin cam, 48 valve V12, MFI, dry sump - 660hp - R383 race car

G1 - 1484cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 73hp - Prince Skyline S50, Miler 430

G2 - 1862cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 96hp - Prince Super Miler 431, Clipper T631

G7 - 1988cc - OHC 6 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 106hp - Prince Gloria S40, Skyline GTA S54A

G7 - 1988cc - OHC 6 cylinder, triple 2 barrel side draught Weber carbs - 127hp - Prince Skyline GTB S54B

G11 - 2494cc - OHC 6 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 134hp - Prince Gloria S41

G15 - 1483cc - OHV 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb, cross flow head - 94hp - Skyline 1500

G18 - 1815cc - OHV 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb, cross flow head - 105hp - Laurel C30

H - 1883cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 95hp - Cedric 31, Junior 40, Caball C141

H20 - 1982cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 92hp - Junior 41, Caball C142

H20 - 1982cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 99hp - Cedric 130, E20 van

H30 - 2974cc - Pushrod 6 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 130hp - President H150, G80 truck

J13 - 1299cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 67hp - Bluebird 411, 520 Pick-up

J13 - 1299cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 77hp - Bluebird SS P411-MTK sports sedan

J15 - 1483cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 77hp - 521&620 pick-up

J16 - 1567cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 81hp - Homer T20

J20 - 1973cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 109hp - Cedric 130, Caball C240

K - 2873cc - Pushrod 6 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 118hp - Cedric Special 50

KA24-E - 2389cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 12 valve, EFI - 128hp - Pintara (1990)

KA24-DE - 2389cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, twin cam, EFI - 150hp - Pintara (1994)

L13 - 1290cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 77hp - Bluebird 510

L16 - 1595cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 96hp - Bluebird 510, 1600, 521&620 pick-up (USA)

L16 - 1595cc - OHC 4 cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 109hp - Bluebird 510 SSS, 1600SSS

L18 - 1770cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 105hp - Bluebird 610, 180B, 720 Pick-up

L18 - 1770cc - OHC 4 cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 110hp - Bluebird SSS 610, 180B SSS

L20 - 1998cc - OHC 6 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 115hp - Cedric 130,230,330&430, Skyline GC10

L20-ET - 1998cc - OHC 6 cylinder, EFI, turbo - 144hp - Skyline (Japan only)

L20B - 1952cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 93hp - Bluebird 810&910, 200B

L23 - 2262cc - OHC 6 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 123hp - Cedric 130

L24 - 2362cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 130hp - Cedric 130&230, 240C

L24 - 2362cc - OHC 6 cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 151hp - 240Z

L24E - 2362cc - OHC 6 cylinder, EFI - 124hp - Skyline (1984)

L26 - 2565cc - OHC 6 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 138hp - Cedric 230&330, 260C

L26 - 2565cc - OHC 6 cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 162hp - 260Z

L28 - 2753cc - OHC 6 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 139hp - Cedric 330&430, 280C, Patrol

L28 - 2753cc - OHC 6 cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 170hp - 280Z, 280ZX

L28E - 2753cc - OHC 6 cylinder, EFI - 180hp - 280C (1983), 280ZX

MA09-ERT - 930cc - OHC 3 cylinder, 6 valve, turbo and supercharged, EFI - 110hp - March Super Turbo (1989)

MA10-ET - 987cc - OHC 3 cylinder, 6 valve, turbo, EFI - 75hp - March Turbo (1988)

P40 - 3956cc - Pushrod 6 Cylinder, 1 barrel down draught carb - 135hp - Patrol

R - 1595cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb - 81hp - Homer T641

R - 1595cc - Pushrod 4 Cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 96hp - Fairlady SP311, Silvia CSP311, Bluebird SSS R411

RB20-DE - 1998cc - DOHC 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam, EFI - 155hp - Laurel, Skyline (1989)

RB20-DET - 1998cc - DOHC 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam, EFI, turbo - 214hp - Skyline GT-S, Cefiro (1989)

RB25-DE - 2498cc - DOHC 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam, EFI - 179hp - Skyline, Cefiro (1992)

RB25-DET - 2498cc - DOHC 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam, EFI, turbo - 250hp - Skyline GT-S25T (1993)

RB26-DETT - 2597cc - DOHC 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam, EFI, twin turbo - 279hp - GODZILLA! Skyline GT-R HR32

RB30-E - 2962cc - OHC 6 cylinder, 12 valve, EFI - 152hp - Skyline (1987)

S20 - 1988cc - DOHC 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam, triple 2 barrel s/d carbs - 160hp - Skyline GT-R KPGC10, Fairlady Z432

SD22 - 2164cc - Pushrod 4 cylinder, diesel - 61hp - 220C, Caball

SD23 - 2289cc - Pushrod 4 cylinder, diesel - 72hp - Urvan (1983)

SD25 - 2499cc - Pushrod 4 cylinder, diesel - 76hp - Navara (1985)

SD33 - 3246cc - Pushrod 6 cylinder, diesel - 94hp - Patrol

SD33T - 3246cc - Pushrod 6 cylinder, diesel, turbo - 108hp - Patrol

SR18-DE - 1838cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, 16 valve, twin cam, EFI - 139hp - Sunny GTS, Pulsar GTi (1992)

SR20-DE - 1998cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, 16 valve, twin cam, EFI - 159hp - Silvia Q (1993), Presea

SR20-DET - 1998cc - DOHC 4 cylinder, 16 valve, twin cam, EFI, turbo - 205hp - Silvia K, 180SX, Pulsar GTiR 4WD (1993)

TD27 - 2663cc - Pushrod 6 cylinder, diesel, cross flow head - 77hp - Navara (1993)

U20 - 1982cc - OHC 4 cylinder, twin side draught 'SU' carbs - 135hp - Fairlady SR311

U20 - 1982cc - OHC 4 cylinder, twin 2 barrel side draught Solex carbs - 150hp - Fairlady SR311

UY - 2 litre - DOHC 6 cylinder, twin cam, 12 spark plug, 2 distributors - ???hp - Fairlady S race car.

VG20-ET - 1998cc - OHC V6, 6 cylinder, 12 valve, EFI, turbo - 170hp - Gloria V20 (1983)

VG30-E - 2960cc - OHC V6, 6 cylinder, 12 valve, EFI - 179hp - Gloria V30E (1983), 300ZX

VG30-ET - 2960cc - OHC V6, 6 cylinder, 12 valve, EFI, turbo - 230hp - 300ZX Turbo (1983)

VG30-DE - 2998cc - DOHC V6, 6 cylinder, twin cam, 24 valve, EFI - 225hp - 300ZX, Leopard (1989)

VG30-DET - 2998cc - DOHC V6, 6 cylinder, twin cam, 24 valve, EFI, turbo - 254hp - Leopard (1990)

VG30-DETT - 2998cc - DOHC V6, 6 cylinder, twin cam, 24 valve, EFI, twin turbo - 278hp - 300ZX Twin Turbo

VG33-E - 3274cc - OHC V6, 6 cylinder, 12 valve - 168hp - Pathfinder, QX4

VH41-DE - 4130cc - DOHC V8, 8 cylinder, 32 valve, EFI - 269hp - Cima 41 (1996)

VH45-DE - 4494cc - DOHC V8, 8 cylinder, 32 valve, EFI - 278hp - Infiniti Q45

VQ30-DE - 2987cc - DOHC 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam, EFI - 230hp - Cedric, Gloria (1996)

VQ30-DET - 2987cc - DOHC 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam, EFI, turbo - 269hp - Cima 30 (1996)

Y40 - 3988cc - Pushrod V8, 8 cylinder, 16 valve, 4 barrel down draught carb - 195hp - President H150

Y44 - 4414cc - Pushrod V8, 8 cylinder, 16 valve, 4 barrel down draught carb - 200hp - President

Z18-ET - 1770cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 8 valve, twin spark plug, EFI, turbo - 135hp - Silvia ZSE-X, Gazelle (1982)

Z20 - 1952cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb, cross flow head - 88hp - Urvan (1983)

Z22 - 2188cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb, cross flow head - 95hp - Navara (1985)

Z24 - 2389cc - OHC 4 cylinder, 2 barrel down draught carb, cross flow head - 99hp - 720 Pick-up

Rex

Rex wrote:Found this and thought I put it here for now.

Letter FeatureD DOHC, Variable Valve Timing, or Direct InjectionE Electronic Fuel InjectionI Throttle Body Fuel InjectionS Electronic Controlled CarburetorR SuperchargedT TurbochargedTT Twin-TurbochargedV Variable Valve Timing with Lift

Straight-4

* 1952-1955 Nissan D engine - 0.9 L - D10 * 1955-1966 Prince G engine - 1.5/1.8/1.9/2.0 L - GA-4/G-1, GB-30/G-2, G-15, G-18;GA30*;GB4 * 1957-1960 Nissan C engine - 1.0 L * 1961-1970 Nissan G engine - 1.5/1.6 L - G, G15, G16, G18 * 1965-1969 Nissan J engine - 1.3/1.5 L -J13, J15 * 1967-1970 Nissan H engine - 2.0 L - H20 * 1968-1980 Nissan L engine - 1.6/1.8/2.0 L - L16, L18, L20B * 1968-1982 Nissan A engine - 1.0/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5 L - A10, A12, A13, A14, A15 * 1979-1989 Nissan Z engine - 2.0/2.2/2.4 L - Z20S, Z20E, Z22E, Z24 * 1981-1993 Nissan CA engine - 1.6/1.8/2.0 L - CA18DE, CA18DET, CA20, CA16 * 1981-1988 Nissan SD engine -Diesel 2.2/2.5 L - SD 22, SD 25; *SD33/SD33T * 1982-1988 Nissan E engine - 1.5/1.6 L - E15, E15T, E16 * 1991-1997?Nissan CD engine - 2.0 L - (Diesel): CD20, CD20T,CD20ET,CD20E * 1983-1986? Nissan FJ engine - (JDM)2.0-DOHC rare' L - FJ20, FJ20ET * 1987-1997 Nissan GA engine - 1.3/1.5/1.6 L - GA16E, GA16DE ; * 1989-1998 Nissan KA engine - 2.4 L - KA24E, KA24DE * 1990-present Nissan SR engine - 1.6/1.8/2.0 L - SR20DE(US),SR20DET,SR20VE,SR20VET,

SR18DE,SR16VE,SR20Di, SR20DD

* 1999-present Nissan QG engine - 1.3/1.5/1.8 L QG18DE, QG18DD * 2001-present Nissan QR engine - 2.0/2.5 L - QR25DE; JDM_ QR20DE,QR20DD * Currently under development Nissan HR engine - 1.5 L - HR15DE * Currently under development Nissan MR engine - 2.0 L - MR20DE

* 1972 prototype Rotary engine- previewed at Tokyo Auto Show but_never went into production

Straight-6

* 1968-1983 Nissan L engine - 2.4/2.6/2.8 L - L24, L24E, L26, L26E, L28E, L28ET,G7*,L20 * 1969-197* Nissan S20 engine (JDM)DOHC- S20 (extremely rare_ even in Japan) * ??-presentNissan Patrol- RB30S, L28; Diesel-RD28,RD28T, ETC.(too numerious to list!!) * 1985-2002 Nissan RB engine - 2.0/2.5/2.6/3.0 L RB20DE,RB25DE,RB25DET,RB26DETT,RB28DETT*,

RB30E, RB30ET(AU), RB20E; **RB30DE**_(Custom_notOEM) YEARS USED 2.0 84-02/ 2.5 89-02/ 2.6 89-02/ 3.0 86-90/(RB30S 90-97_Patrol)

V6

* 1984-2004 Nissan VG engine - 3.0/3.3/2.0/2.5 L - VG30E, VG30ET, VG30DE,VG30DET,VG30DETT

VG33E, VG33E-R ; (JDM)_ VG20E, VG20DE, VG20DET, VG25DE, VG30DETT(4cam)

* 1992-1994 Nissan VE engine - 3.0 L - VE30DE * 1995-present Nissan VQ engine - 2.0/2.5/3.0/3.5/4.0 L - VQ30DE, VQ35DE, VQ40DE

(JDM)_ VQ20DE, VQ25DE, VQ25DD, VQ30DD, VQ30DET, VQ35DD, VQ30DE-K (VIM)

V8

* 1965-1973 Nissan Y engine - 4.0 L - Y40 * 1990-2001 Nissan VH engine - 4.1/4.5 L * 2002-present Nissan VK engine - 4.5/5.6 L
Rex wrote:ALSI-1

The first Skyline was introduced in 1955, under the Prince marque in Japan. It featured a 1.5 L (1482 cc) GA-4 engine producing 60 hp (44 kW). It used a de Dion tube rear suspension and was capable of 80 mph (130 km/h). Prince Skylines were produced as four door sedans and five door station wagons.

The Skyline also spawned pickup truck and van lines called the "Prince Skyway".[edit]

ALSI-2

The Skyline was updated with quad headlights for 1957. This model was powered by the same 1.5L engine and was produced through 1961.[edit]

BLRA-3

The Skyline Sport featured hand-built Michelotti bodies in stylish coupe and convertible versions. These cars used the 1.9 L (1862 cc) GB-30 engine, producing 83 hp (61 kW). Only a few were built.[edit]

S50

In 1961, the S50 series was launched. This was the second generation car, and became one of the more desirable cars in Japan. It was powered by the G-1 engine, a 70 hp (52 kW) version of the old GA-4.

In 1966, Nissan and Prince merged and the S50 also appeared with Nissan Skyline badging. This model lasted in production through 1967.[edit]

S54

Prince created a racing Skyline, the S54, for 1965. Also called the 2000GT, it used the larger 6-cylinder G-7 engine from the Gloria S40, though the engine compartment needed modification to fit that long engine. There were two versions produced:

* S54A - 1988 cc G-7 single-carb I6, 106 hp (78 kW) * S54B - 1988 cc G-7 triple-carb I6, 127 hp (94 kW)

The B model featured three Weber 40DCOE-18 carburetors, a limited slip differential, 5-speed manual transmission, and power brakes. Both the B and A used front disc brakes with dual pistons.[edit]

S57

The S50 Skyline was updated to become the S57 in 1967. It used a Nissan engine, the OHC 1.5 L (1487 cc) G15. At 88 hp (66 kW), it was the most-powerful engine in the Japanese 1500 cc class.[edit]

C10

The C10 series of 1968, probably developed by Prince, got Nissan badging. There was no Prince equivalent on the market. It used Nissan's 1.5 L OHC G15 I4 like the S57. A 1.8 L G18 version was also available.[edit]

2000GT

The following year, the GC10 2000GT got a longer front end to accommodate a 2.0 L (1998 cc) L20 I6 engine. 105 hp (78 kW) was available from this new engine.[edit]

GT-R

The first GT-R Skyline appeared in February 1969. Called the PGC-10 (KPGC-10 for later coupe' version) internally and as the Hokosuka among fans, it used the 2.0 L (1998 cc) S20 I6. This new engine produced 160 hp (119 kW), equal to the best sports cars of the time, and was similar to the GR8 engine used in the Nissan R380 racing car.

The GT-R began as a sedan, but a 2-door coupe version was introduced in March of 1971. The cars were stripped of unnecessary equipment to be as light as possible for racing, and the cars performed well at the track. The sedan racked up 33 victories in less than two years, and the coupe stretched this to 50 through 1972.

This GT-R(the KPGC-10) is said to have been a rival of Mazda's third rotary engine machine, the RX-3, and it is said that the two cars performed a desperate struggle for victory at the circuits. This car was also a favorite of reckless street racers who roamed the streets at night at that time.

It is claimed that the art of drifting began among Japanese racers when they purposely engaged their e-brakes as a way to counter understeer on their GT-Rs. One such driver who was known for this was the Drift King Keiichi Tsuchiya.[edit]

C110

The C110 generation was produced from 1972 through 1977. There were four versions of the car:

* 1600GT - 1.6 L G16 I4 * 1800GT - 1.8 L G18 I4 * 2000GT-X - 2.0 L L20 I6, 130 hp (96 kW) * 2000GT-R - 2.0 L S20 I6, 160 hp (118 kW)

For export in the 1970s, the C110 and GC110 Skyline was sold as the Datsun K-series, with models such as the Datsun 160K, 180K and 240K.[edit]

GT-R

The Nissan Skyline GT-R hardtop arrived in 1973 but was not officially exported. Only 197 GT-Rs were produced, and this was the last GT-R for more than a decade. This GT-R was better known as the "Ken-mary" GT-R, since its catchphrase was: "Ken and Mary's GT-R." It was also rumored that this model (KPGC110) was only produced by Nissan to get rid of the left over engines from the KPGC10 GT-R's.[edit]

C211C211 2000 GT-E SkylineEnlargeC211 2000 GT-E SkylineC211 2000 GT-E SkylineEnlargeC211 2000 GT-E Skyline

The succeeding C211 and GC211 of 1977 continued to split the Skyline range into basic and six-cylinder models, the latter with a longer front end. This line continued through 1981. The Datsun 240K variants continued for export.

The GT-ES replaced the GT-R with a turbocharged engine, the L20ET, This was the first turbo engine to power a Japanese production vehicle. One notable aspect of the turbo versions was that they were not intercooled and there was no form of blowoff valve. It was not until the R32 powered with the RB20DET arrived that a factory blowoff valve and intercooler were fitted.

Models:

* 1600TI - 1.6 L L16 I6 * 1800TI - 1.8 L L18 I6 * 2000GT - 2.0 L L20 I6, 130 hp (96 kW) * 2000GT-EX - 2.0 L L20ET turbo I6, 140 hp (103 kW)

[edit]

R30R30 having funEnlargeR30 having funR30 rearEnlargeR30 rear

The names were brought into line with the Japanese home market with the launch of the FJR30 series in 1981, which was built on a C31 Laurel platform. The FJR30 was available in 2 and 4 door sedans as well as a 4 door hatchback and wagon version. The wagon was the ugly duckling of the range with different headlights and no turbo version available. The 2 door version had pillarless doors and the unusual feature of electric roll-down quarter windows for the rear seat passengers. The 4 door had traditional framed door windows.

Models:

* 1800TI - 1.8 L Z18 SOHC I4, 105 hp (77 kW) * 2000GT/EX - 2.0 L L20E SOHC I6 * 2800GT - 2.8 L L28E SOHC I6 * 2000GT-EX - 2.0 L L20ET turbo I6, 140 hp (103 kW) * RS - 2.0 L FJ20E DOHC I4, 150 hp (110 kW) * RS-X - 2.0 L FJ20ET DOHC turbo I4, 190 to 205 hp (140 to 151 kW)

[edit]

The 1983 R30 version now sported four wheel disc brakes and various engines, the best models being the twin cam 4 cylinder turbo FJ20 or the single cam 6 cylinder turbo LT20ET. Although making about the same power, the FJ-engined version was more of a racer with out as many heavy extras on the car (electric windows, air conditioning, etc). Nissan Glorias and laurels also used the LT series engines as well as some diesel (Laurel only) variants.[edit]

R31R31 Skyline (rear)EnlargeR31 Skyline (rear)R31 Skyline Passage GTEnlargeR31 Skyline Passage GT

The HR31 Skyline of 1985 was a natural evolution on the HR30 shape and featured RB-series straight-6 engines, which would go on to make this car a legend with drivers all over the world. The design was slightly larger and more square than previous Skylines.

The R31 Skyline was also produced in Australia, with a 3.0 motor available in sedan or wagon form, as well as a four-cylinder version called the Nissan Pintara. The wagon had the same front style as the coupe and sedan—the only difference being that it lacked the four round brake lights that had been a consistent element of Skyline design. These cars were manufactured in Australia due to the heavy import laws which made it expensive to bring cars into Australia. They were also sold in South Africa in small numbers.

The R31 Skyline introduced many new techologies and features that were improved upon in later models. The HR31 was the first Skyline to be equiped with the new RB-series of engines. Also new to the lineup was the Diesel-powered variants, using Nissan's RD28, a 2.8 straight-6 engine. Another technological first for the R31 was the introduction of Nissan's proprietary 4-wheel steering system, dubbed HICAS (High Capacity Active Steering). The R31 series were also the only models in the Skyline family to feature a 4-door hardtop variation. These models were generally badged as the Passage GT.

Models:

* 1800I - 1.8 L CA18 DOHC I4, 100 hp (75 kW) * Passage GT - 2.0 L RB20DE DOHC I6 * Passage GT - 2.0 L RB20DET DOHC turbo I6, 180 hp (132 kW) * GTS - 2.0 L RB20DET DOHC turbo I6, 180 hp (132 kW) * GTS-X - 2.0 L RB20DET DOHC turbo I6, 190 hp (140 kW) * GTS-R - 2.0 L RB20DET DOHC turbo I6, 210 hp (154 kW)

[edit]

R32R32 SkylineEnlargeR32 SkylineR32 SkylineEnlargeR32 SkylineR32 GT-R SkylineEnlargeR32 GT-R Skyline

The BNR32 Skyline debuted in May 1989, beginning the revitalization of the model. This series was available as either a hardtop 2-door or 4-door sedan/saloon. It would feature several potent versions of the RB-series straight-6 engines as well as an 1800 cc 4 cylinder GXi model. HICAS four wheel steering was available on most models, with the rear wheels being hydraulically linked to the front steering.

R32 Models:

* GXi - 1.8 L CA18I I4, 91 hp (67 kW) * GTE - 2.0 L RB20E I6, 125 hp (93 kW) * GTS - 2.0 L RB20DE I6 155 hp (115 kW) (more common) * GTS-25 - 2.5 L RB25DE DOHC I6, 180 hp (132 kW) * GTS-t - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (156 kW) * GTS-4 - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (156 kW) (4WD) * GT-R - 2.6 L RB26DETT turbo I6, 280 hp (206 kW)

The R32 also came in M spec level which had bigger brakes, bigger alloy wheels and leather bound steering wheel/handbrake/gearstick. Most Turbo R32s were M spec but a few were not—these had larger brakes than the non-turbos but smaller than the M spec.

Also based on the Skyline platform was the A31 Cefiro and C33 Laurel. All 3 cars are very popular in Japan (and other countries to which they are imported secondhand) for drift racing. In Japan, the RB engine is often swaped for an SR20DET (4 cylinder turbo) to make the car better balanced.[edit]

GT-R

Also new was a twin-turbo Skyline GT-R model with ceramic turbochargers, all-wheel steering, all wheel drive, and 280 hp (206 kW) at 6800 rpm. In reality, the RB26DETT engine produced more power than this, but it was not stated as there was a "gentleman's agreement" between the major Japanese car makers not to produce production vehicles exceeding 206 kW (276 hp). This was also the first model since 1973 to have the GT-R badge. The GT-R had Super HICAS which was a more advanced four wheel system using electric actuators and a computer to control the system.

The GT-R also had a larger intercooler, larger brakes, and aluminum front wheel arches and bonnet. Apart from wearing the GT-R badge, other distinguishing features include wider front and rear wheel arches (also applies for the R33 and R34 GTR models) and a small grille under the flat bonnet. Inside was much the same as other models except that race seats were fitted, the turbo boost gauge and digital clock was removed from inside the instrument cluster. The clock was relocated to the left of the steering wheel into the instrument surround. Inside the instrument cluster the clock was replaced with a torque meter that indicated how much torque was being dellivered to the front wheels (0%-50%), beneath the climate control 3 auxiliary gauges were also fitted, oil temp, voltage and turbo boost.

This model soon earned the name Godzilla, for its impressive performance on the track. The R32 GT-R was introduced in the Australian Bathurst 1000 touring-car race to compete against Holden and Ford V8 saloons. However, the GT-R's impressive successes sounded the death knell of Group A Touring Car racing; with the formula being scrapped soon after. The HR32 GT-R Skylines also featured Super HICAS, the same type of 4 wheel steer the R33 model was to get.[edit]

R33R33 Skyline GTS25t four door (rear)EnlargeR33 Skyline GTS25t four door (rear)R33 Skyline interiorEnlargeR33 Skyline interiorR33 Skyline GT-R with Veilside bodykitEnlargeR33 Skyline GT-R with Veilside bodykit

After the R32 ceased production, the R33 Skyline was introduced in August 1993. Slightly heavier than the R32, and available as a 2 and 4 door, all models now used a 6-cylinder engine. Nissan took the unusual step of down grading the GTS model to have only the RB20E, while the twin-cam of the R32 GTS was discontinued along with the 2.0 L turbo RB20DET.

Some models came equipped with a new version of the HICAS 4-wheel steering system called Super HICAS. This computer-controlled four wheel steering system was previously featured on the R32 GT-R. It moved the rear wheels via a small electric motor situated on the rear differential instead of being a hydraulic type 4ws unit such as on the R32.

As an option, a active limited slip differential was available instead of the standard viscous LSD. This new unit locked the rear differential if it detected that traction was lost by one of the wheels. A light on the dash also lit up if the LSD engaged. Active LSD came standard on all V-spec R33 GT-R Skylines.

The RB25DE and RB25DET engines also became equipped with Nissan Variable Cam System (NVCS) on the inlet cam. This should not be confused with VTEC-type cam timing, as NVCS only adjusts the rotation of the cam and does not alter the lift or duration of the valves. NVCS engines can be identified from non-NVCS RB engines by the cam gear cover— the NVCS RB has a bulge on the cam gear cover, at the end of the inlet cam. To celebrate their 40th anniversary, Nissan introduced a very rare 4 door GT-R. Two versions of the 4-door GT-R were avaiable from Nissan's subsidiaries: the first was produced by Autech, and the second was a joint Autech/Nismo project.

A wagon based on the R33 platform was released in September 1996, called the Stagea. It had a different body style than the R33 and (with the exception of the RS FOUR variant) was only available with an automatic transmission. This is the only four wheel drive manual transmission Nissan with the RB25DET engine. Presumably, a 5 speed 4WD Skyline equipped with an RB25DET would have been too close in performance to the much more expensive GT-R. There was also a Stagea releasd with full GT-R running gear, the RB26DETT engine, and manual transmission.

R33 models:

* HR33 GTS - 2.0 L RB20E SOHC I6, 130 hp (96 kW) * ER33 GTS25 - 2.5 L RB25DE DOHC I6, 190 hp (140 kW) * ENR33 GTS-4 - 2.5 L RB25DE DOHC I6, 190 hp (140 kW) * ECR33 GTS25T - 2.5 L RB25DET DOHC turbo I6, 255 hp (188 kW) * BCNR33 GT-R - 2.6 L RB26DETT DOHC twin-turbo I6, 280 hp (206 kW) * GT-R LM - 2.6 L RB26DETT DOHC twin-turbo I6, 305 hp (224 kW) * 400R - 2.8 L RBX-GT2 DOHC twin-turbo I6, 400 hp (294 kW)

[edit]

The R33 Skyline (Series 2) continued the concepts introduced in the R32, and furthered them. Drivers airbags became standard in 1995 as they had been only an option up until this time, passanger side airbags remained an option. The ignition system was also changed, with the ignition module no longer located on the cam covers. The turbo was also given a nylon compressor wheel. Throughout the time the R33 was produced there were quite a number of different styled lights and bodykits fitted, the actual body underwent only very subtle changes, with only the headlights (tapers down more towards the grill), grill (longer), bonnet (re-shaped leading edge to fit the new lights) and front bummper changing shape in the smallest amount. The R33 ceased production in March 1998 with the 40th Anniversary R33 SII.[edit]

GT-R

The BCNR33 GT-R version also had the same RB26DETT engine that the BNR32 was equiped with, although torque had been improved. 1995 saw the GT-R get an improved version of the RB26DETT, the ATTESA-ETS all wheel drive system, and Super HICAS all-wheel steering. A limited edition model was created in 1996, called the NISMO 400R, that produced 400 hp (298 kW).

[edit]

R34Nissan Skyline R34 GT-t (front)EnlargeNissan Skyline R34 GT-t (front)

In May 1998 the HR/ER/ENR34 addressed many of the concerns over the change from the R32 to the R33, with focused emphasis on sportiness. The RB20e engine was discontinuted in the R34 base model (GT) and the RB20DE reintroduced after last being used in the R32 Skyline.

Models:

* R34GT - 2.0 L RB20DE I6, 140 hp (103 kW) * 25GT-V - 2.5 L RB25DE I6, 193 hp (142 kW) * 25GT/25GT-X - 2.5 L RB25DE I6, 193 hp (142 kW) * 25GT-t - 2.5 L RB25DET turbo I6, 280 hp (206 kW)

[edit]

GT-R

In 1999, a revised chassis and incremental updates to the GT-R model proved once and for all that the R34 was one of the fastest all-around cars in the world. It has held many track records and won many JGTC championships. All GT-R models use the RB series engine, and all models of the skyline have an approximate top speed of 160 mph (257 km/h).

Models:

* GT-R V-Spec * GT-R V-Spec II * GT-R V-Spec N1 * GT-R M-Spec * GT-R V-Spec II Nur * GT-R M-Spec Nur * GT-R Z-tune

[edit]

V35

The Skyline is presently on its eleventh generation, the V35 series, which debuted in June 2001, and is sold in the North America as the Infiniti G35 and in Japan as the Nissan Skyline, available in a rear wheel drive coupe or sedan.

The 350GT8 Coupe is available with the "Extroid" CVT gearbox, and has an 8-speed +/- mode.

The new Skyline goes against the grain of previous models as Nissan have replaced the straight-6 RB series engine with the V6 VQ25DD/VQ30DD/VQ35DE similar to that in the Z33.

It was said that this vehicle was not originally intended to be a Skyline, but with the impending discontinuation of the R34 series, Japanese dealers demanded a vehicle bearing the Skyline nameplate and it was affixed to the production version of the Nissan XVL concept.

Nissan has also left a turbo version out of the lineup. Nissan's series of turbo RB engines has developed a cult-like following with many bolt-on upgrades from Japanese race part suppliers like HKS and APEXi. Time will tell if the new generation Skyline and its engines do as well.

Models:

* 250Gte/GT/GT Four - 2.5 L VQ25DD V6, 215 hp (158 kW) * 300GT - 3.0 L VQ30DD V6, 260 hp (191 kW) * 350GT/GT8 - 3.5 litre VQ35DE V6, 280 hp (206 kW)

[edit]

The Next Generation

During the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show, Nissan showed the Nissan GT-R "the 35th Tokyo Motor Show" Concept (with the Skyline moniker noticeably absent) showing the design direction for a future GT-R. In 2003 then Nissan president Carlos Ghosn announced that Nissan would reelase the a new GT-R, probably as a 2007 model and would do so all over the world and not just in Japan and select right-hand drive markets (Britain and New Zealand). Meanwhile, in tracks around the world, most notably the Nurburgring, develpment mules disguised as V35 Skylines have been seen running tests. In the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show, Nissan will unveil the GT-R PROTO, a prototype version of the 2007 GT-R, it is revelead that the next GT-R wil be a purebred sports car not based on a sedan chassis like the previous models, however no engine and drivetrain details have been given although it is speculated that Lotus is helping with the development of the suspension.[edit]

The Future in America

In 2008, Nissan may begin sales of the next generation GT-R in America under the Infiniti badge - priced to compete with the Chevrolet Corvette and Porsche Boxster. The car is expected to sport a Nissan VQ V6 engine with twin-turbos. VQ30DETT has been already successfully tested in JGTC in an R34 Skyline GT-R during 2003, where the GT-R came out a victor in GT500 class, while a naturally aspirated VQ35DE-powered Nissan 350Z took the GT300 class prize.

As a precursor to the introduction of the GT-R in the United States, privateer Igor Sushko has announced plans of racing the R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 in SCCA's SPEED World Challenge Series (GT Class). This will mark the first time the Nissan Skyline GT-R will compete in a professional road race series in North America.[edit]

Video Games

Being a well recognized car in both racing and tuning, the Skyline has appeared in numerous Video Games. Among some of the games that have shown the Skyline include:

* Gran Turismo (This includes the older models and many of the racing variants, including the JGTC models.) * R Racing Evolution (The Calsonic Skyline is a useable car in two of the stages) * Initial D (Kawai from SSR uses the ER34 variant, while Nakazato of Night Kids uses the R32) * Wangan Midnight (Reina Akikawa uses both a Black and White GT-R R32 in the game, and is one of the "Special Time Attack Cars." Several other characters use variants of the Skyline.) * Street Racing Syndicate * Need for Speed Underground * Forza Motorsport

[edit]

Television and Films

Skylines have appeared in both The Fast and the Furious (R33) and its sequel 2 Fast 2 Furious (R34 GT-R), Hong Kong Movie Infernal Affairs ("Wu jian dao" in cantonese)(2002), Chinese Sitcom Armed Reaction III (R32 GT-R Driven by Moses Chen)(2001), the Jackie Chan movie Thunderbolt, and in the Japanese anime Initial D.[edit]

Trivia

There has been significant demand for imported Skylines in the United States, but because Nissan does not officially import the car to the American market, the process is difficult and expensive. Actor Paul Walker, who starred in Fast And The Furious and its sequel, owns one that reportedly cost around US$110,000 to import from Japan. Skylines are now available from Infiniti, Nissan's North American luxury division, rebadged as the "Infiniti G". However, Infiniti dealers do not carry the popular range of Nismo aftermarket parts available in Japan.
Rex wrote:Manufacturer: Prince/NissanProduction: 1955-presentClass: midsize carALSI-1/ALSI-2Production: 1955–1962Body styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 5-door station wagonEngines: 1.5 L GA-4 I4BLRA-3Production: 1961Body Styles: FR 2-door coupeEngines: 1.9 L GB-30 I4S50/S54/S57Production: 1963–1968Body styles: FR 4-door sedanEngines: 1.5 L G-1 I42.0 L G-7 I6 (2000GT)1.5 L G15 I4 (S57)C10Production: 1968–1972Body Styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 5-door station wagonFR 2-door coupeEngines: 1.5 L G15 I41.8 L G18 I42.0 L L20 I6 (2000GT)2.0 L S20 I6 (GT-R)C110Production: 1972–1977Body styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 2-door coupeEngines: 1.6 L G16 I41.8 L G18 I42.0 L L20 I42.0 L S20 I6C211C211 2000 GT-E SkylineProduction: 1977–1981Body styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 2-door coupeEngines: 1.6 L L16 I41.8 L L18 I42.0 L L20 I42.0 L L20ET I4R30R30 EX SkylineProduction: 1981–1985Body styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 2-door coupeFR 4-door hatchbackEngines: 1.8 L Z18 I42.0 L L20E I62.8 L L28E I62.0 L FJ20DE I42.0 L FJ20DET I4R31R31 SkylineProduction: 1985–1991Body styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 4-door hardtopFR 2-door coupeFR 4-door station wagonEngines: 1.8 L CA18 I42.0 L RB20DE I62.0 L RB20DET I6R32r32 skylineProduction: 1989–1994Body styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 2-door coupeEngines: 1.8 CA18I I42.0 L RB20E I62.0 L RB20DE I62.5 L RB25DE I62.0 L RB20DET I62.6 L RB26DETT I6 (GT-R)R33R33 Skyline GTS25tProduction: 1993–1999Body styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 2-door coupeEngines: 2.0 L RB20E I62.5 L RB25DE I62.5 L RB25DE I62.5 L RB25DET I62.6 L RB26DETT I6 (GT-R)2.8 L RBX-GT2 I6 (400R)R34R33 Skyline GTS25tProduction: 1998–2002Body styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 2-door coupeEngines: 2.0 L RB20DE I62.5 L RB25DE I62.5 L RB25DET I6V35Production: 2001–presentBody styles: FR 4-door sedanFR 2-door coupeEngines: 2.5 L VQ25DE V63.0 L VQ30DE V6

masticatingcow

Awesome, Rex! Thanks a million.

Rex

masticatingcow wrote:Awesome, Rex! Thanks a million.
It's not all "pure" S-chassis, but there's plenty of it in there.

Also, try searches that include "nissan-global", as there's a ton of info there.

S14 boy

Holy crap, now to sift through this all!

thanks Rex!!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”