The great caliber debate!

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

It's a subject that can develop into heated arguments with gun guys, best handgun caliber. I wouldn't trust anything less than a .380 and even that would make me very nervous. 9mm and up I can work with, but prefer the "4" calibers. That being said, if all I can get is a lil .22 then I'll use it. This guy did a really good study on the performance of various cartridges and I think it's a good read.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

MaximA32
Car: '98 Maxima (RIP)
'04 Maxima - Traded
'06 Mazda 6S- Traded
'15 Altima

I'm a pretty big fan of the .40 S&W right now. I feel that the larger caliber combined with it's relative accuracy is most effective for my home defense situation. With a lower muzzle velocity than the 9mm Luger, it won't penetrate walls nearly as far which in theory, will protect those also in the home from a stray round.

themadscientist

I like the .40 myself and both my possible carry guns are in that caliber. My .45 stays at home because the single action makes me uncomfortable. The XD-S, though, puts a new spin on things and i might be able to carry my "flying ashtrays" after all.

MaximA32
'04 Maxima - Traded
'06 Mazda 6S- Traded
'15 Altima

Single stack FTMFW. The SAO I had on the S&W Sigma also made me uncomfortable but I am very much a fan of the SA/DA on my SP2022 and it is FAR more accurate than the S&W. My next purchases will be an AR that I'll build myself and a pump action 12ga for home defense. I can't imagine a scarier sound to an intruder than the sound of a homeowner racking a round home on a pump action shotgun.

themadscientist

The more I think about it, the more my concern about carrying my 1911 seems dumb. I have no problem carrying my Glock or my XDm and they are essentially single action as well being cocked striker fired pistols. The 1911 has the thumb safety too where neither the Glock nor the XDm have a real safety. When I think about it, the 1911 is probably safer than my plastic pistols.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

I like my .40 and I would trust a .380 (but price difference would push me to 9mm).

My SR40 has a thumb safety but I'm use to all handguns that I've shot on a regular basis to have one. So its natural to flip it off as I pull out of a holster (or even just as I pull a gun up to the shooting position).

I like the looks/function of a 1911 and will get one eventually, but don't think I'd ever carry one. I'm definately double stack bias.

Still need to get a shorter barrel on my Maverick 88 shotgun, but I would miss shooting slugs at the range.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsxdk1V8i-M[/youtube]

ANY THOUGHTS?

MaximA32
'04 Maxima - Traded
'06 Mazda 6S- Traded
'15 Altima

I'll have to watch that once I get home.

themadscientist

ImStricken wrote:ANY THOUGHTS?
He started off like an ignorant prick, but then I realized he was just jerking peoples' chains which I also enjoy. His opinion is very logical and even though I carry a .40 most of the time, I have no problem agreeing 100% with him. He is right on every point.

And here he is talking bad about my beloved 1911, but again, he's friggin right! There is a reason that I shoot the s*** out of my Kimber at the range, but wouldn't use it for carry.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE[/youtube]

It's so refreshing to hear someone dive into these heated debates with a strong position that he can support with logic, fact and experience with a bit of razzin.

themadscientist

Well, it appears I have picked a great time to find this guy. There appears to be controversy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcJxHPmY ... PQ&index=7[/youtube]

Apparently the coward claims are stemming from him supposedly running during a firefight in Iraq. I've never been under fire so I won't comment on what it looks like to me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5KPr53rSe4[/youtube]

More info. The guy is not former military, but a former mercenary, whoops, sorry, a "contractor."
http://mountainrunner.us/2006/01/edinbu ... MiBdJHpiSo

Oh this is funny! he has seriously underestimate the trollosphere!
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/1 ... es-yeager/
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S53T8jBz ... r_embedded[/youtube]

So he will fight you if you sign this.

This guy has brought up a lot of good points about what a destructive road James is heading down if he wants to stay in business.
http://www.papadeltabravo.com/blog/?p=1581

Apparently, nobody is amused by his rantings.
http://www.wallsofthecity.net/2012/12/j ... oward.html

Facebook blowin up, yo!
http://www.facebook.com/GatsAndTats/pos ... hare_reply

I foresee trouble for Mr. Yeager. This has no possible happy ending unless you enjoy watching a slow motion train wreck. Luckily, I just love that!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

do i agree with everything he says? NOPE. but firearms and the training behind is like martial arts. every instructor is going to have his twist on the "facts" of the course. idk james personally, and dont buy into anyone, fully. but i must say that his credentials are in tact. police officer, swat officer, etc.

here is what i just posted on that facebook:
"odds are, bullets flying in the sandbox are going to be 7.62. that being said, a car is not "cover". its concealment. so James running across and trying to find true cover, to shoot BACK at the enemy is not cowardly. it was smart. JUST BECAUSE "STUPID" or "UNTRAINED" LOOKS BRAVE, DOESN'T MEAN THOSE BEING "SMART" ARE "COWARDS". Its hard to look "heroic" 6 feet under. Maybe if those fallen officers did what james did = they'd be alive today, and could have saved other officers as well. Standing out in the middle of the road waiting to get plucked off like sitting ducks is stupid, not heroic."

i just want to tell others what i have learned working amongst law enforcement & high stakes security officers. they are all fisherman. why do i say that? because they lock up a 5foot tall transvestite who slapped him, and come home telling their wives that they just took down and locked up a 6foot tall 350lb black guy who had a gun, and a knife - single handedly. these guys are like locker-room jocks that will find any and every way to diminish some other's officers reputation to boost their own. they do this in every dept. this is the "community" that hides behind the blue line. people think that the blue line is this magic group of cops that will stop at no end to cover each others back against BS.... let me tell you something = wrong. officers jot down every mistake conducted by any other officer for future mud-slinging. from days off, to on duty. from smoking too many cigarettes, to shoes not being shined. from being seen chugging a couple beers off-duty at a bar, to spanking your kids at a store. it all gets jotted and referenced later (conveniently right before promotions). so to find a couple security guards that served with him in the sandbox, talking s***, is not a surprise to me. and having the general population chiming in and calling someone a coward, is also not a surprise. and seeing james getting pissed off is not a surprise either.

idk how id act in that situation. but i do know one thing = sitting like a duck in an open pond (the cars were in a open roadway) i too would have darted for better cover to return fire and to be able to be not only protected when reloading, but to be concealed when returning fire.
According to the AAR from Edinburgh, Yeager was the Driver of vehicle 1 (the lead vehicle on the right of the screen) and not the team leader. Allan Johnson is listed as the leader and was in vehicle #3. Yeager couldn't get vehicle 1 moving, dismounted and went for cover in the ditch

and regarding his "ill kill anyone talking ish" - thats just immature and needs to stop. it only fuels the "this guy is a dork" internet trolls. thats about as mature as his beard :gapteeth: who in their right minds would ever take his class after that, idk. id never be want to be the guy that says: "i took a class from a guy who is threatening to kill people on the internet".

EDIT: just found this comment on one of his video's lmfao

"Remember when you were a "bouncer" at Visions? Remember when Jesse French kicked your a** and you were sitting there crying like a little girl?? I guess not. I'm friends with ALL the members of the Benton County Sheriff's department and each and every one of them all say the same: They will NOT work with you again! You and Siler are both the same. Delusional. Soldier of Fortune magazines everywhere and this fantasy of being a "mercenary" of yours is only going to get people killed. LOL!"

themadscientist

Oh, that's embarrassing.

themadscientist

Haha! His callout video link is gone and has magically become a link to disaster guns. i guess someone finally helped him figure out how bad he was screwing up.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

Back on topic. Enough of that douche.

I'm all ableut placement before power, but with all of the compact and affordable options in 9mm or 40, I see no use for 380.

I'm not a fan of .40's at all but it's definitely suitable with a track record behind it.

The biggest factor in penetration tends to be bullet weight. The heavier weight will typically drive deeper.

themadscientist

I roll the heavier weigts of each caliber, 180gr for .40 and 230gr for .45. The .45 version of my XDm 3.8 compact came uot right after I picked up the .40. I would have gone up had i know it was in the wings, but I still like my .40.

Mr1der

biggie wrote:
Still need to get a shorter barrel on my Maverick 88 shotgun, but I would miss shooting slugs at the range.
You can still shoot slugs. The 18.5 barrel is cylinder bore ie straight walled. Get rifled slugs for better accuracy out of them.

Honestly, for the price of the barrel now, I'd say just buy an 8 shot maverick for about another 90 bucks.

themadscientist

Looking at a Benelli Supernova.

biggie

Mr1der wrote:
biggie wrote:
You can still shoot slugs. The 18.5 barrel is cylinder bore ie straight walled. Get rifled slugs for better accuracy out of them.

Honestly, for the price of the barrel now, I'd say just buy an 8 shot maverick for about another 90 bucks.
Yeah, thinking about just picking up another Maverick 88 short barrel, maybe add a pistol grip to it and keep my long one. But just ordered an AR, so saving money is key currently.

Mr1der

Just a pistol grip on a shotgun sucks. Hard to aim and painful if you don't have your wrist straight.

Since the maverick utilizes a crossbolt safety, I'd say get an adjustable or bantam stock. Adjustable pistol grip stocks are easier to find.

Everyone needs a good defensive shotgun. Get on it soon.

biggie

My 28" works for now. I'll need to pay off the AR before another shotgun.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Mossberg 930 tactical is a sweet semi-auto shotgun for under $700.

I'm a 9mm guy, only because I love the Browning/FN High Power. My next gun is most likely a CZ75b in 9mm.

Mr1der

I need to get some federal hsts for my Kahr PM9...

With the current crop of bullets, 9mm has a new lease on life for an accepted round (even though .380's might be the most carried)

biggie

Can't figure why so many go after 380 these days. 9mm seems much cheaper and is better round to me.

Maybe my big hands just prefer the larger gun that is associated with 9mm.

Mr1der

Well, the fun part is that you can get 9mm pistols that are smaller than most of the .380's out there.

My Kahr PM9 isn't much bigger than a Ruger LCP.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Only .380 that's really appealed to me all that much is the Sig P232, if it were a tad smaller and its ammo a bit cheaper I'd be all over it.

biggie

Mr1der wrote:Well, the fun part is that you can get 9mm pistols that are smaller than most of the .380's out there.

My Kahr PM9 isn't much bigger than a Ruger LCP.
True, I've shot a friend's LC9 and its much better than the LCP. Though Ruger now has a LC380 built on the LC9 frame. But I'd still prefer the 9mm ammo.

WDRacing

WDRacing wrote:Mossberg 930 tactical is a sweet semi-auto shotgun for under $700.

I'm a 9mm guy, only because I love the Browning/FN High Power. My next gun is most likely a CZ75b in 9mm.
Lied, my next gun is a Glock 21.

I was able to keep pretty tight groups with the Glock 21. .45 ACP is an awesome rnd, albeit a bit expensive, but which ammo isn't these days?

For the record, if you don't mind shooting someone 3-4 times out of reflex, a .22 isn't a bad cal either. You can get several AR platforms in .22 with 25 rnd capacity. If you run Stinger ammo it's not a bad platform for home security imho.

biggie

They need to bring out more 22 mag guns, I trust that over 22LR by a long shot. Would love to see some semi auto 22 mag guns.

I've considered a 22 mag revolver as a pocket pistol, but the one I want also comes in 357 mag for not much more money, so that would be an easy choice.

themadscientist

Every .380 I've shot has been a snappy little bastard with a tiny grip and small capacity. All that kick for less punch, why? Pick up a 9mm if .40 or .45 is too much. .380 was fun, now let's get serious.

WDRacing

WB Mike!

Since your current locale doesn't allow for ownership/possession of firearms, how's that bow training coming along?

Return to “The Great Outdoors”