The end is near....leaking heater core

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

At almost 306K miles, the end is near for the Q due to a leaking heater core,was hoping to drive it til the engine or transmission gave out,but it just may be the heater core that ends up causing the Q funeral when winter gets here!

I dont think it makes financial sense to spend the $$$$ to properly repair this problem due to the age of the car, so my options are to either bypass the coolant flow to the heater core and dump the car come winter or try throwing in a bottle of Bars Leaks and see if it seals up the leak and continue driving the car until the engine/tranny gives up......anyone ever try either of the 2 options mentioned? currently the leak is small,requiring maybe 8-16 oz of coolant replacement per week,but the passanger side rug is wet so something must be done real soon!

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

At this point, you don't have anything to lose by trying the Bars Leak.

Never tried it, but always wondered if it was possible to coat the inside of the heater core with something that would provide a better seal than Bars Leak:

Remove both heater hoses
Drain and flush thoroughly
Use a hair dryer or heat gun to dry the innerds
Temporarily plug the bottom of the core
Use a funnel to pour sealant in from the top of the core
Remove the plug on the bottom to drain excess sealant before it dries solid
Repeat if necessary

2-part epoxy might be a good choice for the sealant - Should easily withstand normal engine coolant temperatures.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

You've been carving her tombstone for so long... :biggrin:

qship96

Funny, from day 1 I had planned on keeping her for 300,000 miles,and she made it- just thought the death would be due to the drivetrain, not something silly like this.Gotta say overall the Q has been not only the most enjoyable car I have owned, but also the most reliable and durable.Gonna miss the ole girl when shes gone.

anyone ever try the bars Leak product??????

SanCarlosQ45
Car: 1994 Q45 144,000
2013 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
1967 MGB GT Special

If you want to drive it a little longer you can plug up the heater hoses or loop them back. I thought my heater core was leaking so I plugged the hoses, I even have a spare heater box in case I ever need it. Getting the heater core out was probably the most difficult job on this car I have ever done. Way more difficult that engine and trans replacement without a lift, took about 4 hours to get it out of a junkyard car. I'm guessing if your careful and move quick maybe a 15-20 hour job.

I would stay away from any stop leak if you can. I think maybe it would be okay with what skibane posted but the time I used it in the radiator to try and stop the heater core leak it ended up plugging the bleeder/overflow barb near the radiator cap. This caused a false coolant level in the overflow when in fact the radiator was low by about 2-3 quarts. More than likely its the plastic end tank that has failed and will probably only be a bandaid.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know its the heater core leaking? Is there coolant inside the car or coming from the boxes drain? My leak ended up being the water pump.

qship96

passanger side floormat is soaked with smell of coolant,windshield is fogging up!

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

The coolant smell is very difficult to get rid of once it has soaked in...

Skibane

Yeh, something needs to be done about that, ASAP - Even if it's just a temporary fix.

oldmako
Car: '99 Q45 190K Black&Tan '96 Silverado 5.0 245K '89 23' Irvette CC F351

Just pull the hoses at the firewall and hook them up to one another. Put a nice sheepskin on the seat and buy a pair of nice gloves.

Being cold sucks but its the defroster that you'll really miss! Been there and done that more than once.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Back in my GM/Cadillac days, you needed to use the bars leak additives in that cooling system. One thing regardless of what brand you use is you should make sure that before you add it it's thoroughly dissolved. You'd want to dissolve it in coolant (warm coolant works better) and then dump it in, otherwise the little pellets can become lodged into coolant passages.

For heater cores, I've also heard good things about this:
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/alumaseal/

If you were going to do that, I'd try and isolate it to just the heater core, versus the entire cooling system.

qship96

Wes, the particular Bars Leak product I looked at was a bottle of dark liquid with tiny pellets in it,I think it is their original formula....are you familiar with that one? instructions were to pour into cold radiator then immediatly drive for 15-30 minutes.

Skibane

elwesso wrote:Back in my GM/Cadillac days, you needed to use the bars leak additives in that cooling system.
GM also sold their own version (GM Stop Leak Tablets), which was commonly used as a "routine maintenance item" (which is a euphemism for "method of delaying coolant leaks until after the warranty expires") on some "problem" engines.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I'm not too familiar with those bars leak products other than what I mentioned. I know on the Cadillac's it was particularly bad with the Northstar's.. IMO that whole thing was a BS cover-up for a poorly designed cooling system. Turns out that it IS possible to have a 32V V8 that doesn't blow headgaskets or spray coolant everywhere... The northstar was a good engine and a good concept, but typical GM cheapness and shortcuts made it less than stellar (and nowhere near as good as the VH).

I read some old posts and they actually recommend dumping the product into one of the hoses rather than directly into the cooling system, that way the stuff gets distributed more into the actual cooling system rather than the radiator. So, I might consider dumping it directly into the heater core in your case.

Most of those bars leaks products are simply ground up ginger root. Ginger root will shrink when wet and expand when it's dry. So it will wedge itself into a leak, clot it, and then expand on the "dry" side of the leak. That's the theory anyway.

qship96

bottle of snake oil bars Leaks was dumped in, leak slowed and then stopped it appears, for how long who knows! sure looks a nasty color in the overflow container LOL.

maybe I should start looking for a Demolition Derby to enter the old girl in!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Would probably be a nice candidate for someone looking for a rebuilt VH engine...

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

All lost for a heater core? What else is worth $500?

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

qship96 wrote:bottle of snake oil bars Leaks was dumped in, leak slowed and then stopped it appears, for how long who knows! sure looks a nasty color in the overflow container LOL.

maybe I should start looking for a Demolition Derby to enter the old girl in!
how's the stop leak holding?

qship96

ended up bypassing the core.....

OwnerCS

elwesso wrote:I'm not too familiar with those bars leak products other than what I mentioned. I know on the Cadillac's it was particularly bad with the Northstar's.. IMO that whole thing was a BS cover-up for a poorly designed cooling system. Turns out that it IS possible to have a 32V V8 that doesn't blow headgaskets or spray coolant everywhere... The northstar was a good engine and a good concept, but typical GM cheapness and shortcuts made it less than stellar (and nowhere near as good as the VH).

I read some old posts and they actually recommend dumping the product into one of the hoses rather than directly into the cooling system, that way the stuff gets distributed more into the actual cooling system rather than the radiator. So, I might consider dumping it directly into the heater core in your case.

Most of those bars leaks products are simply ground up ginger root. Ginger root will shrink when wet and expand when it's dry. So it will wedge itself into a leak, clot it, and then expand on the "dry" side of the leak. That's the theory anyway.
Wes - I saw this in real life once when I was mere youngster. We had a neighbor that inherited a 1946 Ford Pickup like the one in the picture. So one day he started it up after it had been sitting for about a year. There was no coolant in the radiator. When he filled it with water I remember seeing water spray out of the radiator core area. So the guy had somebody go purchase two cans of ground cooking ginger and then dumped it in the radiator. So then everybody watched the leaks stop like magic. I will never forget watching that ginger stop radiator leaks.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”