Tension Rod 97 infiniti Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
havarob
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

Hello, I hit a cement block in the road and bent my tension rod. I found a used one on Ebay for $45.00. The tension bar looks good but the studs have thread issues, they are chewed up. They are also missing the nuts. The dealer sells the whole part for around $225.00 they just don't have the studs and bolts i can buy. I was thinking if its possible to just get some regular nuts and bolts to mount it?. When I took it apart the last owner had just regular nuts and bolts in it. I don't know if I trust that.

Thanks for your help

Rob

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

The tension rod bushings are wearout items.
the one on fleabay might be bent, have a worn out or leaking bushing, in addition to the unusable threads as you say.
The G50 tension rods are not side specific, but the FGY33 ones are.
I haven't priced one for a while, but $225 seems like retail marked up.
call IoS (Infinitipartsusa.com) our preferred Q45 sponsor and source for OEM parts, and get the wholesale pricing (typically 25% off of list and 40% off of retail).
They absolutely sell the nuts that go to the two studs that go thru the lower control arm.
also, it is possible to just replace the 'hockey pucks' if you had a serviceable rod. but save yourself grief and only use a genuine part if you go that route, and also make sure you have someone that will orient it correctly when pressing in the new part.

nismopcparts
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45

I installed S13/S14 240SX adjustable SPC tension rods in my '99 a year ago. Part # is 67720. Here is a picture installed...

So far I have had no issues whatsoever with them. I contacted SPC directly concerning the length I had to extend them too so they fit, but his response let me check and confirm they were within specs...
I was not aware that the Q45 had a similar front suspension to the old 240SX. It indeed looks like that arm would allow some caster adjustment, but it also does look a bit over-extended as you have it set. There should be machined notches on both threaded ends that indicate maximum extension, and they should be just showing out from the turnbuckle (NOT the jam nuts!) at the arms maximum length. This preserves about one diameter worth of thread engagement, which is the normal rule for our products. (18mm dia in this case should have a minimum of 18mm of thread engaged in the turnbuckle.

At this time, we don’t have a plan to make a proper length arm for your car. I surfed our prints a bit to see if we have a longer sleeve you could use and came up empty also. Turns out that arm has the longest sleeve already. I also didn’t find either end that would work better.

The thread is M18 x 1.5, but unfortunately, the flattened end that would be easy to reproduce longer is left hand thread, not normal RH.

Check your engagement and see what you have. If you have nearly 18mm, you probably have enough. If not, you might want to consider other options… That’s not a part you want separating on you.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Just go OEM, while this looks like it works, the S13 is a much lighter car and this would scare me a little bit.

marcyprojects
Car: 90 300zx, 170K
03 Pathfinder SE 160k

I have S13 rods with energy bushings on my 93. Installed fine with no issues, the only thing that youll find is that there is a loss of ride quality at certain speeds as the s13 rods dont have as much meat on the bushings and the aftermarket ones dont absorb vibrations as well. I have vibration accelerating around 45 mph, im used to it but def isnt what luxury is supposed to be. I went with this as OEM rods have been hard to come by and the poly bushings wont deteriorate though ill prob be going back to original when I can.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Like I said, got OEM. The S13 is way smaller and lighter car. If someone build some aftermarket bushings that were properly designed for the Q45 that would be a good option. Go to everythinginfiniti aka Scottsdale Infiniti and order the parts. These are not that expensive and greatly influence the right quality.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”