Tell me about remote starters

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
daan
Car: 08 S base

That's what the wife wants for Xmas this year. I've never had one, in fact none of my cars have ever had remote locks either so I'm a complete noob. How do they work, how do you tell what's a good starter, who is good to install it, etc. I know nothing! Oh yeah, it's for an automatic-equipped Mazda 5, not my Versa. Can you even put a remote start on a manual-trans car?

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

More than likely not on a manual. Most cars have a "clutch switch" which requires the cluth pedal to be pressed before starting. This might be able to be wired around...but then you have to ask yourself....what if you leave the car in gear and it tries to start?

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Good remote starters are wired off good alarm system bases - you going to be looking at $700 or so to have this purchased and installed. Good systems work well, cheap systems work, well, cheap. You get what you pay for. Look for a reputiable place to do the installation.

They basically work as a pass through for the starter - you hit a button, it fires the starter, the car turns on. To drive the car, you still have to put the key in the ignition and put it to "on" ( you couldn't be able to shift out of park if you didn't).

There are work-arounds for manual cars, but it is actually illegal for that to be installed.

my_new_v
Car: 2008 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

marlin29311 wrote:There are work-arounds for manual cars, but it is actually illegal for that to be installed.
Theres actually new alarms out that are manuel transmission compatable out now. When you park, you have to do a step-by-step process before you turn off the car and if any part of the process is missed or skipped it wont allow you to remote start it. Basically the process makes the alarm know that your car is in nuetral and the e-brake is on. Once I find a link for one ill post it.

EDIT: I found it, and its the same one I plan on getting.

http://www.pythoncarsecurity.c...D=605

Scroll down to 'Technology & Functionality'

ds08versa

I have done three remote starts in the past three days, and i love them, you can do one on a manual, with the ones we use(compustar.com) there are is a sequence that you do before you turn the car off so that it will remote start. At my shop we say a min of three hours but could be longer and we soldier every connection so that it is very reliable. We also offer a lifetime warrenty with all wiring. if you need any more help let me know. I have to saw i love them. Dave

my_new_v
Car: 2008 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

ds08versa wrote:I have done three remote starts in the past three days, and i love them, you can do one on a manual, with the ones we use(compustar.com) there are is a sequence that you do before you turn the car off so that it will remote start. At my shop we say a min of three hours but could be longer and we soldier every connection so that it is very reliable. We also offer a lifetime warrenty with all wiring. if you need any more help let me know. I have to saw i love them. Dave
I heard compustar's are really good alarms. Ive heard some models even have GPS on them. I was talking with my buddy who is also a pro at alarms and he said to stay away from Python, Hornet, Viper, those kinds cause they are crap. I dont think they are crap but ill trust his word over mine. He said to stick with compustar or automate (I think he said automate, I could barely hear him cause we were at a bar hahaha)

Whats your opinions ds08versa on the python, viper, hornet, etc. alarms.

Knightro2

"STAND BACK! PROTECTED BY VIPER!"

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”