UPDATED!!! Tamiya 300zx Twin Turbo Build Thread!

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
TTkickedin
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx TT 5 speed, t-tops, < currently in intensive care unit!
2011 MBTA BUS

300zx Models Available:

1/24 Twin Turbo T-Tops = Tamiya 24087
1/24 Convertible = Tamiya 24120
1/24 Convertible (probably curbside since it's fujimi) = Fujimi 18857
1/24 Slicktop NA (curbside, no engine detail) = Fujimi 03262
1/24 Slicktop TT (cMight be curbside) = Fujimi 04558
1/24 Slicktop/Veilside bodykit = (might be curbside) = Fujimi 18654
1/24 Die Cast Japanese Patrol 300zx = Fujimi 18420
1/24 'Just tuning" Fujimi kit = fujimi 18204

Rides.webshots.com has a 345 widebody 'fujimi 1000' 300zx kit. It's a fujimi but cannot be found anywhere else, and I don't think that's a sale link so no ads :) It's fujimi 04502 I believe.

picture

1/12 HUGE scale Hasegawa Twin Turbo t-tops = cant find part number, search hasegawa 300zx

That's all the models I can find right now :)

Buy tamiya kit to get a vg30dett engine for your other kit, only place to get an engine for the curbside kits.

Here's the Tamiya kit:

Custom single tip/dual exhaust (I will show you.)
Fujimi O.Z. Futura's (didn't come staggered, so i stretched the z's stock tires over those wheels. Now they're looking staggered.)

PICS :naughty:
If you want to do one, they're available everywhere.

Just fyi, the carept looks unrealistic. If you want a carpet looking like an actual auto carpet, get a napkin and separate the ply's so you have a very thin layer. Cut it to fit your rug area, apply either glue or paint, then paint to match over the napkin. when it dries, it will dry with no gloss and retain the texture of the napkin and be noticeable. experiment with paper towel, may produce better results.

How i made the exhaust in like 2 minutes;

1. Shave the stock tips off with a razorblade with a handle.
2. Take some really strong scissors (those damn cutco scissors work,) and cut some of the injection mold frame.
3. Take the scissors and cut the piece of injection mold you just cut out, into two smaller sections
4. Then sand the ends down so they're straight/angled on one end. Whatever style u like, but one end must be flat
5. take a dremel and make yourself a hole in the middle of the tip to look like its a hollow cylinder, like a real exhaust tip.

then glue it to the muffler and you're done!

Can't wait to make some progress on it. I'm already in the middle of building a level 5 (revell) mercedes 560sec model. Has like over 300 parts.
Last edited by TTkickedin on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

King Ranzo
Car: 15 Ford Focus ST

I've always wanted to do these, but I never feel accurate enough or precise enough to make them look good.

Rager
Car: 1992 charcoal gray 300zx 2+2
1999 sentra
2004 chevy silverado

sweet. where did you get yours? ive seen them on qwbsite before but never in stock

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

it's tamiya 24087. if you search google shopping u should find it everywhere. i specifically got mine that way lol

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Nice dude, I got one too, sitting in storage to be built when I retire... in 25 years or so :(

I used to build models (cars/airplanes) with my dad, got really good at it too. Definitely looking forward to building this one sometime.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

Quick heads up though tdogg, its not that intricate. Its going to be a very easy build for sure, but still looks fun and interesting. Its not as easy as a snap tite, but doesn't have many parts. The details are good though; its got oem staggered wheels, full front and rear subframe, ttops, interior, decals interior and exterior, etc.

Overall, this would be a good build for someone just getting into it. Comes with usdm and jdm dashes for those of you who want to make it fairly close to yours. At 15 + shipping, can't go wrong.

Www.hlj.com (blackberry failed) is a good place to pick up wheels, motors, and other model jdm parts and factory paint. I usually mix my own, though the z32 black metallic will be relatively hard to duplicate

Fujimi makes a 30 dollar z32 kit, but I don't think it includes the engine detail, I'm not sure. But you can always buy the tamiya z32 and steal the motor and engine bay parts (or maybe the full engine bay) if you want it fully duplicated. Starting on it tomorrow, wish me luck!
Last edited by TTkickedin on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Dude awesome!!! Subscribed for sure.. You were right it is very detailed!
As soon as i get my actual car together i wanna pick one of these models up for sure...

I'm going to go to my local "hobby lobby" to get supplies like glue and stuff (just like we talked about in the pm's)

Hey but if you don't mind can you take pics of the tools your using so guys like me that don't really know which tools/supplies are needed can buy the things we need locally.

Also take pics of the "Napkin carpet trick"

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

300ZXttZMAN wrote:Dude awesome!!! Subscribed for sure.. You were right it is very detailed!
As soon as i get my actual car together i wanna pick one of these models up for sure...

I'm going to go to my local "hobby lobby" to get supplies like glue and stuff (just like we talked about in the pm's)

Hey but if you don't mind can you take pics of the tools your using so guys like me that don't really know which tools/supplies are needed can buy the things we need locally.

Also take pics of the "Napkin carpet trick"

6 posts, 66 views, no good! Had to post again.

I'll definitely post some more pics up today. I'm planning on painting it exactly how mine is, interior included. I'm going to do a full write up on the interior napkin texture deal this week when I do the z's carpet. I'll also show you guys a picture of the napkin deal finished on the 560sec model i'm putting together for my dad. I'm just letting you know, that Flocking powder works better and looks more professional, i just didn't feel like buying it.

As for the motor, it will be wired up. They sell model engine wiring here
http://www.oakridgehobbies.com/plastic- ... t-interior
But I want this model to be 100% my custom work. Hence all the diy stuff going on.

p.s. If anyone can find the Charge 787b '91Lemans winner model (not the r/c car) please let me know. It's probably going to be upwards of 75 bucks, closer to the 150 range i'm guessing, as rare as it is.

That's the last model i want to do on my bucket list. (well that and a Ferrari F40 competizione model..)

300ZXttZMAN

Keep it up!! :bigthumb:

300ZXttZMAN

Im ready for an update.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

I know, sorry..I've been in some serious problems with my fostermother and DSS/DCF whatever they're called these days. I swear I'm dealing with brain dead people...

Right now, the projects are in her house, and awaiting transportation to my dads place, (where I'm currently staying) in Holbrook MA.

One instance where having my car would be pretty nice :/

300ZXttZMAN

Im sad panda.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

Me too man, I haven't even been able to get on XBL for two days either, and i was used to playing it everyday.

Fortunately enough, i hopped on Bops yesterday finally and my wl ratio went up as well as my k/d.

But anyway, hopefully I can go get my models today as well as the rest of my stuff from her house. I've been dying to start that z32 build, and finish my pop's 560sec.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

Hey here's the napkin-as-rug idea i came up with. 3mp BB camera isn't exactly the best, but its all i got, here ya go.

You can kinda see the effect I wanted to achieve, but again it's not as perfect as fretting would've been. I didn't want to go buy it just for a few models.

Expect a new update to the z after this sunday, i'll start working on the z and my 560 some more. I've been a bit busy with MW3 and a reoccuring family issue..

300ZXttZMAN

Please get a better camera!!!

We can hardly tell whats even going on haha

I can't wait to see more though..

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

If you look at the floor of the interior and trunk you can see the texture a little bit. It shows the most when you look to the right of the second pic, the napkin doesn't adhere to edges well, so it raises, giving a more realistic carpeted effect.

That rug texture wasn't as visible out of the box. It comes as textured plastic and would've came out glossy just like the seats. Ignore the glare on the carpet, it has more of a flat/satin shine in person.

Maybe this will help though, i'll fill in each step with pics once I do it to my z:

1. Separate a multi-layered napkin into one single, thin layer. (not tissue, it has no visible texture)
2. Measure and cut out the layer to fit the area of the model's rug
3. Set that layer aside, and cover the area in the interior that you want your diy rug on in the paint color you want your interior to be
4. Do not let that paint dry, it will be your adhesive for the napkin layer!
5. Set that layer down and press it gently onto the paint layer so that it adheres to the paint (if you want the carpet white, use a small amount of glue instead, don't use the model cement!) And don't move it too much or you will have to remove the paint/glue and restart the whole process. The thin layer can tear very easily.
6. You will see that the layer is adhered to the area and small bits have soaked color in, thats not enough. You will now need to coat the layered napkin with paint. If you want your interior white, you may have to apply some white paint to the layer.

Once it dries, it will look like a real carpet, and almost feel like a real automotive carpet too. Not velour-like when you use flocking powder, and this is much easier to work with.

P.s. There's other ways you can get a realistic looking carpet. If you have some old dress socks that match the color that you want your interior, (pantyhose should work for those with tan interiors, but ask your wife/girlfriend/mom/sister before you cut their pantyhose up!) You can cut it to get the shape you ened, and use some white kids glue, or maybe even a good gel gluestick to adhere the cloth to the plastic. You don't want to use the cement in this case either because the cement has the tendency to bleed into fabric and flatten its textures before it dries, hence why paint was used for the napkin mod.

300ZXttZMAN

Now wonder its taking you so damn long to build your own car shiesh!!!

I would proabably be done with this thing by now hahaha..

I'm expecting your car to be down another 5 months at this rate.. :chuckle:

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

LOL. I'll get progress today. I don't want to promise, btu then again, i don't want to lie and waste everyone's time. Pics still will be taken on my BB so sorry about that.

I couldn't work on it this weekend because i've been having a repeat Peeping Tom visiting my house for soem odd reason, so my head has been wrapped in other things, such as how the F*ck am i supposed to catch this pervert ?! I need to set up some type of surveillance system, but i don't know how good these wireless systems are. If i can get this guy on video without him knowing, or let him see the cameras and back off, i'll be so happy that I could finally get some sleep. If any of you guys have some type of idea as to how i can either catch him red handed or get the police to show up to my house without blasting their spotlight, please let me know, i'm very interested.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

Started the 300zx Build!!!! painted to match how my real motor will turn out. Just ran out of black, so i'm gonna have to pick up some acrylic on wednesday. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics again, it's just gonna have to do.

^ may look like the tranny tunnel is a different color...Because it is :eek: Ran out of black so i did my best to mix all the colors i had into a color almost resembling black, and instead got a very dark navy blue? Oh well. you can see the turbo's there.
Last edited by TTkickedin on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

300ZXttZMAN

Pics aren't working! :(

EDIT: The pics arent working for me. Can anyone else see them??

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

i uploaded them to photobucket, should be working unless you have photobucket blocked, to be honest, i cant even see them myself and I uploaded them!!! weird though, the last time i did this, i could see em.

*edit* FIXED! :crazy:
Last edited by TTkickedin on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

300ZXttZMAN

Well your the computer wiz hah figure it out :chuckle:

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

My god, you have no idea how hard it is to upload pics from your phone to photobucket and onto the computer when photoshop is blocked on your work internet. So many workarounds...

300ZXttZMAN

Awesome!

Def time for a new camera LOL

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

No updates until i get some moar black paint. I keep putting it off for some odd reason.

300ZXttZMAN

LOL

nick1809
Car: 1991 300zx 2+0 n/a slick top

love this build. haha. ive been wanting to get one for a little while now. i found a slicktop one to match mine which will be puchased ASAP.

*edit* how do you do your paint? i was thinking can or airbrush.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

Damn, I feel bad that I haven't updated this. I'll see if I can find a place closer to my house that sells good black acrylic, (the reason I haven't updated...)

For the interior, there's so many little spaces you just cant reach with spray. I usually go ahead and hand paint the interior and even the chassis, (taking a dried brush and swirling it on the semi dry paint usually adds a lifelike texture to the bottom of it.)

For the exterior I just rattlecan it with a few good thin coats, and one semi-thick coat for a glossier effect.

I can't wait till I get a mx5 miata one. I'm gonna paint it flat black just like mine used to be, then buy a separate v8 to throw in there for sh*ts and giggles :D

Curious as to where you found this slicktop?

nick1809
Car: 1991 300zx 2+0 n/a slick top

TTkickedin wrote:Damn, I feel bad that I haven't updated this. I'll see if I can find a place closer to my house that sells good black acrylic, (the reason I haven't updated...)

For the interior, there's so many little spaces you just cant reach with spray. I usually go ahead and hand paint the interior and even the chassis, (taking a dried brush and swirling it on the semi dry paint usually adds a lifelike texture to the bottom of it.)

For the exterior I just rattlecan it with a few good thin coats, and one semi-thick coat for a glossier effect.

I can't wait till I get a mx5 miata one. I'm gonna paint it flat black just like mine used to be, then buy a separate v8 to throw in there for sh*ts and giggles :D

Curious as to where you found this slicktop?
sweet. i gotta step up my hand painting game then. haha. nd i found it on 1999.co.jp heres the link: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10139722

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

400th post! WOOO WOOO!!

1999 dont work at work... :( not even HLJ..

Who makes it? Aoshima? (if they do, they tend to make curbside models, meaning no engine, youd have to buy your own from tamiya if they sell the vg separately, or just buy the z32 kit they sell like i did and just get the engine from there.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”