Sylvania Silverstar vs. Sylvania Silverstar Ultra

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
NY.AD.MAN
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S (Navy Blue Metallic)

Gone... 2007 Nissan Versa S Hatch. 6 Spd. Blue Onyx - Multiple Upgrades

Now, before I mention my results, let me give you a bit of background...

I drive in the highway predominantly at night and found the stock bulbs lacking pretty severely as far as distance of visibility, intensity and peripheral illumination (side illumination).

SO, I decided to go for the Sylvania Silverstars. They were much better and had a much whiter light which allowed for easier and more pleasant illumination, even had about twice the intensity (at least it seemed as much).

Recently, my little brother has been having trouble funding college, so I gave him my Silverstars so that he could stay safer (he drives a Scion xA) and prevent him from getting a ticket (one side was already getting dim...).

That left me with a sudden need for headlights...

The Silverstar Ultras were right next to the regular Silverstars, but costed a bit more (about $10-15) and i was curious to see the difference. Of course, nobody knew the difference at Autozone...

So I decided to give them a try.

They are MILES away from the Silverstars when you are on the highway!

I have a full 180 degree view that shines brighter than a cohort who has an Altima with the Osram Silverstars (NOT the +50, the higher wattage ones), and I swear that the new headlights saved me when I could see a deer running towards the road about 50 ft away on my right hand side. I had enough time to slow down enough so that when the deer crossed the road, I was safely distanced.

I would suggest the ULTRA very highly! If for nothing more than safety and comfort (no more eye strain) and the illegalities of putting HID kits on the Versa.

NewToVersa

So... how much $$$ are they?

Great White Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S HB 6sp

and where did you get them? I couldn't find them for sale anywhere...

NY.AD.MAN

I found them in 2 places:

1. Autozone2. Pep boys

They run about $45-50 and are supposed to last about 30-50% longer than the silverstar (base).

NewToVersa

One or two bulb? for 45$-50$

ChazHazard
Car: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

I love the Ultras, I have them in my Focus. They're great, unfortunately they died out quickly after 3 months, but I called Sylvania and they sent me a new set free.

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

I have silverstars and for the ~$40 price tag they are well worth it. When these go i'll pick up a pair of ultras.....

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

can you guys tell me if there is a special model that u need for the versa?

Great White Versa

Vahagn23 wrote:can you guys tell me if there is a special model that u need for the versa?
go to http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProduct ... mentGuide/ and search for the versa. it will show you all the options for sylvania products.

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

cool thanks, because I seen some cheap bulbs on Ebay, also these dont need any kits right? like the HID kit or w/e just replace it with the old one right?

ChazHazard
Car: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

Just switch the bulbs and you're good to go.

matt_a

CodeRed wrote:I have silverstars and for the ~$40 price tag they are well worth it. When these go i'll pick up a pair of ultras.....
Me too. I have "regular" SilverStars in both my Scion xA and the wife's Versa. I really like 'em a lot. I'm not going to pull them out just to switch to the Ultras, but when it is actually time to replace them I'll make the switch.

Great White Versa

Pardon my ignorance, but I can't seem to find an easy way to change the bulb. The service manual shows taking off the bumper... any suggestions?

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Unfortunately, I've tried Silverstars 3 times (three pairs, in different cars) only to have each set die out at less than 6 months. I was extremely careful to avoid touching the bulbs as well. Although some folks have had Silverstars last a few years, I've found through other forums and other searches that many people also have had the same experience I've had.

It seems that in order to achieve the brightness/whiteness of the Silverstars (or other similar bulbs) the conventional filaments are pushed to their limits - making them far more susceptible to breakage than a typical halogen bulb. After the last pair I switched to Sylvania Cool Blue's in my G20 - they aren't blue, just not as "white" as Silverstars - and about $17/pair. Definitely better than my stockers, and they've lasted over a year thus far, so I won't complain.

I could handle paying $40-50 a pair per year, but 6 months (or less) just really seems unacceptable. So far the Versa headlights seem more than adequate for the driving conditions in which we normally use it.

I certainly hope that you experience above-average longevity with your bulbs, however!

marleyfan
Car: Black Versa SL, CVT. Tech Package, 35% Tint, Window Visors, Spoiler

Great White Versa wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but I can't seem to find an easy way to change the bulb. The service manual shows taking off the bumper... any suggestions?
Naw it's easy. Just reach in and pull out the wire harness from the back of the bulb, then pull off the rubber boot. Then squeeze the wire clips together that hold in the bulb and pull the bulb out. It took me about 5 min to do both headlights.

Great White Versa

marleyfan wrote:Naw it's easy. Just reach in and pull out the wire harness from the back of the bulb, then pull off the rubber boot. Then squeeze the wire clips together that hold in the bulb and pull the bulb out. It took me about 5 min to do both headlights.
Thanks, that worked. Though, I have no idea how you did it in 5 min. I got the passenger side bulb swapped in about ten and then it took me about an hour and a half to do the driver's side. (had to pull out the cold-air piping to get to the bulb)

Anyway, it makes such a HUGE difference! Thanks NY for posting this up.

matt_a

Rockhound wrote:Unfortunately, I've tried Silverstars 3 times (three pairs, in different cars) only to have each set die out at less than 6 months.
Wow...that's not been my experience with Silverstars at all. The set in my car has been in for 3 years now and still going strong. The set in my wife's Versa was in her last car for 2 years before I pulled them out and put them in the V. They're still fine too. I had a truck with Silverstars in it for almost two years before I sold the truck (left them in for the new owner). I have never had one go out on me yet.

NY.AD.MAN

Despite the fact that Sylvania bulbs cost a bit more and may have a shorter life span, there are still factory warranties and you really have to think:

QUANTITY (low light over great amounts of time)

or

QUALITY (Great light over a moderate amount of time)

I think it's a safety issue. That, and it's a new car. Make it special, because it's one of the few mods you can do that doesn't void the warranty...

NewToVersa

Anybody ever tried some PIAA bulbs? Only heard good things about it...

bulld0g
Car: 2007 Versa SL " Bulld0g Edition "

I picked up a set today....one of my headlights went out this morning.....how convenient and Pep Boys has a $20 rebate on them right now until 1 Dec.....I have fairly large hands so it was a bit tricky replacing them....but once I got the 1 out the other side was much quicker and you don't have to remove the bumper to do this....took me about 20 minutes to complete

achr
Car: Nissan Versa SL, CVT, Technology Package

NY.AD.MAN wrote:So I decided to give them a try.

They are MILES away from the Silverstars when you are on the highway!

I would suggest the ULTRA very highly! If for nothing more than safety and comfort (no more eye strain) and the illegalities of putting HID kits on the Versa.
Wow! You mean their is actually "TRUTH" in Advertising???

I currently have the standard SilverStars installed and they're pretty decent. Anything better would be BONUS.

bulld0g

just went for a drive with them tonight......wow what a difference.....

NY.AD.MAN

Bulldog,

Which ones did you buy, you kinda jumped in after the PIAA headlights were mentioned...

bulld0g

NY.AD.MAN wrote:Bulldog,

Which ones did you buy, you kinda jumped in after the PIAA headlights were mentioned...
The Silverstar Ultra's

NY.AD.MAN

Evidentally, I speak the truth! Hahaha...

NewToVersa

Anybody ever tried some PIAA bulbs? Only heard good things about it...

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I love my ultras. They have a larger area of illumination (width and length) than the standard Silverstars.

I've had better luck with my Ultras' longevity than I did with the standard Silverstars as well.

Still, when I get in the '04 and turn on the HIDs, it makes the Ultras look like candles.

matt_a

NewToVersa wrote:Anybody ever tried some PIAA bulbs? Only heard good things about it...
The only PIAA I have ever tried are in the parking lights of my Scion xA. After putting SilverStars in the headlamps, the stock parking lights looked very dim and yellow next to them. So I switched the parking bulbs out with a set of PIAAs and they are really nice. Never tried their headlamp bulbs though.

NY.AD.MAN

I had a friend back in high school who had the PIAA headlights in a 1996 Honda Civic and they kicked some pretty good ***, BUT they don't have any greater illumination than the Sylvania Ultras...

Not only are they a bit underrated as far as wattage, but comparatively the Ultras are actually more efficient.

achr
Car: Nissan Versa SL, CVT, Technology Package

Wish I could concur.

Just "upgraded" from Silverstars to Silverstar Ultras today. My experience does not jive with the rest of the opinions shared in this thread. While I wouldn't call them terrible, IMHO the lighting of the road was superior with the plain Silverstars and the color temperature of the light was also whiter before. For the price premium of the Ultras, I'm unimpressed. The lighting IS still smooth and even but doesn't appear to be as bright. As with the plain Silverstars, I could see no evidence of Sylvannia's name on the actual lamp, just Osram & Germany. Someone had earlier trashed Sylvannias and said to get the Osrams made in Germany.

I don't mind paying the price for superior lighting if it's ACTUALLY superior. It's really relatively cheap insurance. Perhaps I got a bad set of lamps this time around but I'll be looking at a source other than Sylvania next time.

Return to “Versa General Chat”