Swap time! VG30DETT or RB26DETT?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
JessAlba452
Car: 2003 Maxima - Grey Lustre

Help me settle this lol Poll is at bottom of post

If you've been following the Revival of a Fairlady Z thread I have a '94 300ZX convertible which I've been restoring

I am nearly done with the interior minus the new seats, and have been thinking about swapping motors.

Basically I'm looking at swapping either the VG30DETT or RB26DETT (run single turbo) and for either motor to run at at least 700rwhp or more if possible. Make it streetable is the main issue. Need something reliable at that HP. Something easier to work on. I've heard that the VG is a pain and that is why I'm looking into the RB.

Have been reading on both HybridZ and RBZ32

I've spoken to a few shops and this is around the price I get for either swap.

(Drive in - Drive Out)VG full swap price w/ necessary upgrades = ~$10,000

RB full swap price w/ all necessary fabrication + upgrades = ~$15,000

Pros VG:Already have a front TT clipEasier swap than RB since it's the same carLots of products out and easier to getMore Torque at lower RPMS than RBSame cost overall as RB if swap + parts are figured

Cons VG:Cramped Space = Harder to work onExpensive to work onTurbos are hidden (no wow factor)

-----

Pros RB:Haven't seen a streetable RB26 in a Z32 Vert (Rare swap)Easier to work onSame amount of products for RB avail.Easier to get reliable 700+rwhp than VG

Cons:Will have to order BNR33 RB26DETTParts hard to come byLess TQ in higher RPM band then VG Lots of fabrication

Parts List for both engines, RB is not finished since I just started not too long ago.

http://www.452designs.com/z32

http://www.452designs.com/rb26

Really am not sure what to do lol. Hopefully you can add comments and that'll help me decide :D

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Just go with the VG. Only thing you will gain with the RB is the worship of fanboys haha

300freekzx
Car: 1990 300zx N/A, 1992 Honda Accord LX , 1991 Honda Accord LX, 2006 M35 Sport

A Mouthful!

OUKNO
Car: 1990 Z32 NA, 1974 International Scout

Why is there no add a poll for the VH45DE (with a turbo of course)

takethewall
Car: 1994 300zx n/a, 1998 I30

nsrZ32 wrote:Just go with the VG. Only thing you will gain with the RB is the worship of fanboys haha

Plus, think of what you could do with that extra money.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

well if you got that kinda coin to spend, screw it, LSX

tg

If you stick with the VG and delete all of the emissions crap on the engine, it is actually quite reasonable to work on and around. Don't forget that the center of gravity in the vg is lower also, an important point to consider.

I mean, look how clean this is:

ketshy
Car: 1990 300ZX 2+2

tg wrote:I mean, look how clean this is:
I vote stick with the VG or go VH also, but if you don't care to stay nissan then LSX all the way. And dang tg that is clean, got any more pictures of that?

Sgt
Car: 1991 Fairlady Z (JDM) Twin Turbo

Another con for the RB is it is an expensive engine to build. I know the VG isn't cheap to build either and to be honest I don't know how the two compare price wise to build.

Z-owned
Car: 93 N/A Z32
90 VW Corrado
01 mr2 spyder

Go with the vg unless your wanting a show car imo.

JessAlba452

Z-owned wrote:Go with the vg unless your wanting a show car imo.
Ah yes forgot to add in the original post!

I was thinking of RB only for the fact that it's a little easier to work on, and for the wow factor since I'm opening a paint shop soon.

This point I'm thinking both engines are good swaps, but which one will also bring recognition the most?

Z1 is local to me, and I thought hey well Z1 has their VG30DETT 1000hp 'Vert...how about I go with a RB26DETT 700-800hp 'vert?

That's part of the reason why I have no idea which to go with. Both are good, and I have 50k for the budget if I go with VG30DETT...but which is more reliable and will also be recognized in the end?

Guess the decision is really up to me lol, but like to see the response. Hope ya guys won't hate me either way!

beezneez
Car: 1997 Saab 9000

JessAlba452 wrote:
and I have 50k for the budget if I go with VG30DETT...
Jealous

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

JessAlba452 wrote:Turbos are hidden (no wow factor)

-----

Easier to get reliable 700+rwhp than VG

Riiiiight. 3rd option. Keep driving the NA. If you're concerned about wow factor, go get a Ferrari.

Do you even knwo what 700hp feels like? Do you really think a 700hp car is street able?
JessAlba452 wrote: Make it streetable is the main issue.
Then sell it and buy a stock TT.
JessAlba452 wrote: Need something reliable at that HP.
You and every race team ever. You'll get that right after they figure out perpetual motion.

JessAlba452

OriginalWheelman wrote:
Riiiiight. 3rd option. Keep driving the NA. If you're concerned about wow factor, go get a Ferrari.

Do you even knwo what 700hp feels like? Do you really think a 700hp car is street able?
I am only concerned about wow factor since I will be opening my own paint shop and the Z will be an example of my work. VG TT is usually done, and RB is not (especially in a 'vert) so I'm thinking that the Z will be more memorable.

The only RB26DET Z32 'Vert I have seen is "NON-Streetable"

http://www.Z32Power.com

Russle at Z1 has his 1000hp VG30DETT Z32 Vert, and I could have my own RB26DET 'Vert.

Yeah, you do know a Ferrari would be 10x's the $ I want to spend? I could buy the GT-R instead of work on the Z but no, I'd like to build up the Z32 because I've always liked it and instead of 80k for the GT-R I can shell out 50k in mods for the Z and gain more TQ and HP than a GT-R is able to make currently.

You are basically telling a NICO member to move on and get something else instead, and that helps no one.

I have driven a 500rwhp car, so no not 700hp but 500, it's almost there. Yes I believe it's streetable if tuned correctly.
OriginalWheelman wrote:Then sell it and buy a stock TT.
You do know that there is no such thing as a "stock "TT convertible?
OriginalWheelman wrote:You and every race team ever. You'll get that right after they figure out perpetual motion.
Okay and thanks so much for your sarcasm in your post. You are a prime example of a person who is quick to be sarcastic than helpful. But I would like to say thank you anyway. Have a nice day!
Modified by JessAlba452 at 12:52 AM 12/24/2008

JessAlba452

Thanks everyone for the feedback though and voting on the poll.

A little background is that while I have been talking to my bf about the VG TT swap and parts list the past few months, he has decided to build up his R34 w/RB26DETT which isn't currently running @ what it should.

I thought, hey well you build your way. I will build my VG and let's see which motor can handle the same amount of HP w/dyno?

That turned into..."Hey wouldn't that be cool if we showed up to meets/shows with RB26 in both engine bays?"

Since the TT clip is already in my possession, I've just been day dreaming about what kind of swaps to do to it.

I will be going with VG. It's cheaper to get to what I am looking for overall. While the RB will take 6k more which is over budget.

Best thing is I don't have to wait weeks to get parts while he does lol

Keep an eye out in the Revival of a Fairlady Z thread to the build

zer...ady-z

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

JessAlba452 wrote:
I am only concerned about wow factor since I will be opening my own paint shop and the Z will be an example of my work. VG TT is usually done, and RB is not (especially in a 'vert) so I'm thinking that the Z will be more memorable.

Russle at Z1 has his 1000hp VG30DETT Z32 Vert, and I could have my own RB26DET 'Vert.

Yeah, you do know a Ferrari would be 10x's the $ I want to spend? I could buy the GT-R instead of work on the Z but no, I'd like to build up the Z32 because I've always liked it and instead of 80k for the GT-R I can shell out 50k in mods for the Z and gain more TQ and HP than a GT-R is able to make currently.

You are basically telling a NICO member to move on and get something else instead, and that helps no one.

I have driven a 500rwhp car, so no not 700hp but 500, it's almost there. Yes I believe it's streetable if tuned correctly.

You do know that there is no such thing as a "stock "TT convertible?

Okay and thanks so much for your sarcasm in your post. You are a prime example of a person who is quick to be sarcastic than helpful. But I would like to say thank you anyway. Have a nice day!

Modified by JessAlba452 at 12:52 AM 12/24/2008
I'm giving you the truth. I was trained by a supergas mechanic and when I told him you wanted a reliable 700 hp car he almost fell over laughing. Go ahead, make up pipe dreams and spend money wastefully, and see where your business goes.

Oh and FYI, there were Turbo Verts. Just not in the US.
JessAlba452 wrote:I have driven a 500rwhp car, so no not 700hp but 500, it's almost there.
70% is almost eh? That's a D grade where I went to school. Are D students almost there? 70% of 500hp is 350hp. Is 350 hp almost 500?
Modified by OriginalWheelman at 7:48 PM 12/24/2008

tg

The only way to have a reliable streetable 700hp car (and this is the only ones i've seen) is to build the car, dyno it at max psi and with nos etc, put down 700whp. print out the dyno sheet, and then drive the car daily at a 400hp tune and tell everybody its a 700hp car and they'll beleive you because they've never sat in a 700hp car. (like wagz' 744whp 300zx... )

Trust me, driving around with a 700hp tune is not a daily NOR reliable thing.

JessAlba452

tg wrote:The only way to have a reliable streetable 700hp car (and this is the only ones i've seen) is to build the car, dyno it at max psi and with nos etc, put down 700whp. print out the dyno sheet, and then drive the car daily at a 400hp tune and tell everybody its a 700hp car and they'll beleive you because they've never sat in a 700hp car. (like wagz' 744whp 300zx... )

Trust me, driving around with a 700hp tune is not a daily NOR reliable thing.
That is exactly what I'll be doing. Dyno and tune it back down to around 450hp for daily.

I told a friend of mine this, and he wondered well why build it to 700hp if you won't use it?

I said I will, just not all the time and on the street.

tg

I've seen 550whp on a daily tune and I plan to run something around that. With that to the wheels on these cars you're going to blow the doors off of 99.99% of what you come across, I can't see the practical side of 700whp unless you're doing competition tests or going for bragging rights.

I drove an R32 skyline that was pushing close to 700awhp and it was almost undriveable. You couldn't even hold it in a straight line down the street in second gear. That's with 4 wheels putting it down, with 2 the police could simply follow the black stripes to your house and hand you the tickets.

babyjesus
Car: 91 300zx

go RB!!!!!

VG'S are ugly, just my 2psi

JessAlba452

tg the r32 may have been harder to drive being awd, we have a r34 rwd 5spd 500rwhp and a few shops we talked to said an awd conversion would be too much $ and you can't put down more than 600awhp without losing traction.

Makes sense from your description :D

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

If you have 50k.....how about you just buy a TT Z and then buy a R-33 GT-R skyline. This way you have both motors and you can get a good amount of power out of both to obtain your "700hp".

JessAlba452

^

Already have an R34

TT swap is already in progress into the convertible. :D

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Booztd 3
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

This thread is funny....

I once built a VG up and had it making decent power....

I also threw an RB motor into a Z32 chassis making decent power...

The RB is way more fun, and much cheaper to make power with...

I also dont recall having to wait any longer for parts that I would have an RB (for example, did you guys know the Z31 and RB25/26 share the same timing belt tensioner?) Hell the Z32 and RB even share the same cam and oil pump seals.....

I could go on and on, but then I'd just be another 'fanboy'

Z_Fanatic
Car: 91 300zx TT Conversion, 01 Bmw 325I DD

NSR_s30 wrote:
2nded.

perana

From experience theres nothing and i meen nothing like driving a 800+rwhp z32 .Yes its street drivin not daily but often.Trust me you need to do it to find out realy.Its realible too lol but you'll need a HKS,OS giken or something gearbox. By the way i didnt know you a girl that's awesome realy cheers.

painjunkie
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx 2+2 n/a

i would've went with the VG as well, great choice!! let us know how it turns out for you!

pcproa
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

JessAlba452 wrote:I am only concerned about wow factor since I will be opening my own paint shop and the Z will be an example of my work. VG TT is usually done, and RB is not (especially in a 'vert) so I'm thinking that the Z will be more memorable.

If you are opening a paint shop and are looking for wow factor, majority of your customers will not be into the Z32, so they will not know what engine it should have from the factory. Your efforts to build a "custom" car is lost on the engine. Because this car will be a moving example of your work, you should really focus on the outside (Paint and styling), as the first thing people will see and the last thing people will remember.

If you were to pay a shop to do a really good paint job, you could easily eat up 50K. Since you are doing it yourself, you could pay a few of workers 25K in wages to spend countless hours on prep work, a couple thousand on paint, then the rest to pull off a pretty decent VG buildup of an engine bay that most people don't care to remember.

People will say:"Oh man, there's this paint shop down the street with the nicest 300ZX I've ever seen. It's so clean. The paint is great!!!"

People WILL NOT say..... other than certain Nissan fanatics and RB Fanboys:"Oh man, there's this paint shop down the street with the nicest RB in a 300ZX I've ever seen......"Who cares? What does the engine have to do with me getting my work done at this paint shop?

As for Z1s 1000HP VG, well they are a company focusing on mainly mechanical with few exterior items for sale. The 1000HP engine is to show off their mechanical abilities.

Anthonysflying
Car: 2004 Silverstone 350z Touring

VG all the way...the RB would make the average tuner all warm n' fuzzy inside, but you'll be more comfy with the larger displacement.

quick question, are there any "streetable" clutches that can handle 700 horses? i think you would need some sort of carbon clutch based differential to smooth out the power. what i've always wanted is a switch (that requires a key) that allows you to alternate between an economy or race map.

either way its going to be a nasty vert! good luck and post up the build!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”