swap from a ka24e to ka24de question

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
myztik

Is it difficult to put in a KA from a 98 into a 90 240? Would there really be any custom work needed to be done (I doubt it but thought I would go ahead and ask). Would wiring be the hardest part, and if so why? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

ZartaN
Car: boardsports

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

do a seach do a search do a search!!!! in the upper right hand corner of the page please not another q about that...

240grl
Car: Driving, racing, dreaming of the Silvia...umm, Fine *****es! Did I say driving yet?

It should not be that hard to do the swap so long as it is the same motor. Ex: both have twin cam etc.... The body/size of frame and motor do not differ enough to cause a problem. It should just bolt in. (correct me if I am wrong)

I suggest becoming VERY familiar with a total brake down manual before doing anything. You are welcome to pm me for more information. I too was thinking about a swap, but a much more difficult one....*cough*......to the silvia motor w/ stock turbo.:D

It should be odvious why the wiring will be difficult. It's not a cd player or anything sweetheart.

want_to_know_more

HaHa...found you Candy!!!

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Yes, the DOHC and SOHC are interchangable in the engine bay of any 240SX. Only problem is you will need the ECU, wiring harness, power steering lines, gauge cluster, and im not 100% sure but possibly some AC lines (?) from one to work in the other. SR20DET is the same, as well as CA18DET (not the 200SX/Sentra FWD motor).

ZartaN

The real problem for me has been finding an uncut, or semi uncut ECU to engine wiring harness?

Help Please!!

I have everything else.

:ylsuper Party On:ylsuper

240grl
Car: Driving, racing, dreaming of the Silvia...umm, Fine *****es! Did I say driving yet?

Hey my sexy jdmsol !!!!!!!

About the ECU, try a salvage yard. You can almost find anything in junk yards and it's always really cheap. Or go to http://www.nopi.com , OR........ call a Nissan dealer. USE THE INTERNET !!!!! You can find anything on the web so long as you know how to read and write. ;)

Stock-S13

ow dude i have the same question but with a 89 Se

240grl

Stock-S13 wrote:ow dude i have the same question but with a 89 Se

You want to take a 98 model motor out to put in an '89 model car? Why? Anyways, if you want to do that get a manual. Research to find out the measurements and space that you have and need to have. You can call a Nissan dealership and they can look it up for you. I don't suggest doing that swap. It would be better to use the '98 model body.

honda_eater

the '98 model body isnt as good as the '89

240grl

ok....... Well, I guess that it would work. I don't know too much about the 89 240's. I guess the easiest thing to do is to call a Nissan dealership and ask them for the measurements.....wooooah, I need to sober up a bit before I type the rest of this post, this ****s taking wayyyyy to long.

nismo240sx
Car: tuning and being cool

I heard that the tranny and engines are interchangeable but I really would like to know I have a sohc with over 200K and I want to do a swap soon to de until I can save enuff money to get a ca18det

nismo240sx
Car: tuning and being cool

I went to unstable but I want more info on how do switch the engine and stuff instructions would be great does anyone know where I could get some

240grl

Get my e-mail address from the member profile and write me, I would love to tell you how to do the swap, or at least offer any help in doing so. Your best bet is to go to your local book store and get the brake down manual. It should have a book with the first year the 240 was made through 95 models. Let me know in an e-mail your results.:)

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

To put a DOHC into the 89-90 body is just as much a pain in the *** as to put the SR in there. The wiring is all messed up, and you have to splice into hundreds of wires. My friend did it for another friend, and he was very pissed about the wiring, cuz he didn't expect it to be such a pain. Also some filters and pump are in different locations.

sil80

Stock-S13

wow i havent read this thread for a while but when i was considering doing it i was going to get a 98 KA for like dirt cheap and the at the time my ka was giving me overheating problems but took care of that (faulty radiator) but now i have this blown gasket to take care of i have ordered teh part off of this place called import place or somthing but the transaction stilled has appeared mo my credit card so i gotta call when i ahve the time but yeah now that iam going to get this tooken care of i think i will stay withh my 180K mile KA it grew on me...

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

Ok for the record Sil 80 Drifter doesn't know what he's talking about.

I did a SOHC --> DOHC Swap. THe motor bolts right in. There is No Wiring necessarry to make the car run. If you plug in the two plugs at the battery box area the car will start, so long that your fuel pump comes on.

You need to lengthen the fuel line going to and from the fuel rail, because its too short on the sohc.You need to bend the power steering lines out of the way and around.You need to retain the sohc a/c lines, but have the DOHC tips on them brazed on. Also make sure you have a good fuel pump in it. I went ahead and ran a new relay with good power lines going back to the fuel pump as i do with all my cars. This car's fuel pump failed, which is why we swapped it in the first place. ( i was told the single cam motor was blown up, only the fuel pump was...)

Please don't make up fake statements like that one you did up there sil80 drifter, because it just makes you look even more stupid.

i highly reccomend this swap to anyone who has the time to do it

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

Nice car matt :thumbup There is No Wiring necessarry to make the car run.

So its just plug and play? What about the speedo and tachamigger? Unstable hybrids give **** for info about actually doing the swap.

tad_240
Car: working on and customizing cars and stereos

Someone had said something about having to change gauge clusters, does the new ECU mess with the speed, or is it the tranny? I am considering the swap because I can get a KA24de alot cheaper than I can rebuild the one I got, and with alot less miles, any help on this matter would really help, I found one from a 93 to put in my 90.

:help

Nismo1182
Car: Z06

Is the E a/c compressor the same as the DE, if not will the E compressor bolt on the DE block.

s13driftmobile
Car: drifting

I have a 90 240 and want to put in a ka24de and then turbo it do i have to get a new wiring harness for it or not

tad_240

:confused:

I was also wandering if you need a different coil and distributor for the KA24de, I know the wires are different, or at least look that way, or can you use the same coil at least? I just replaced the coil and cap and was just wandering. On a side note, I will be wanting to upgrade the feul rail and injectors once I put the KA24de in, any suggestions, I know about the 300z injectors, but are they good to do and what about a rail? just wandering, will probably post this question elsewhere too. thanks

240grl

s13driftmobile wrote:I have a 90 240 and want to put in a ka24de and then turbo it do i have to get a new wiring harness for it or not
No. do you have a sr20, sohc, dohc? wiring may be just a bit different, but not by much. go to http://www.zenmotorsports.com and e-mail Scott. Tell him Jessie sent you and he'll give you all of the information that you need to know. Or try http://www.sportcompactautoracing.com these guys are ***holes, but they know what they are talking about. I see them almost everyday, once you get to know them, they are not so bad.

240grl

tad_240 wrote::confused:

I was also wandering if you need a different coil and distributor for the KA24de, I know the wires are different, or at least look that way, or can you use the same coil at least? I just replaced the coil and cap and was just wandering. On a side note, I will be wanting to upgrade the feul rail and injectors once I put the KA24de in, any suggestions, I know about the 300z injectors, but are they good to do and what about a rail? just wandering, will probably post this question elsewhere too. thanks

GO TO http://www.zenmotorsports.com !!!!!!!! E-MAIL SCOTT!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!! WRITE SCOTT, WRITE SCOTT, WRITE SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!I've never seen people so clueless about their cars in my life!!!!!

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

Obviously you have a lack about the car you drive since the only info you can answer our questions with is to email some guy. So please keep your retarted comments to yourself. And most of these questions are pretty legit since their is no copy distributed around of this swap, the SR swap can be found all over the place, very little or no ppl have done a document of the e -> de swap, and if the only information you can provide is telling someone to email someone, please keep it to yourself and let someone more knowledgable in the field share their wisdom.

Thanks!!

tad_240

:mad:

Well, somebody didn't wake up on the right side of the bed, I am far from clueless about my car, thank you for the attempt to help, but maybe as a girl, you could share some of your infinite wisdom about make-up, or hair, but I am far from clueless about how my car sits now, from bumper to bumper, but what I do not know is things about 91-94 240's, and how to put the KA24de's in a 90 240, so if someone could post a reply about the wiring harness, and even some help about the feul rails and coils, but not yell at me for not having been on here since the post about Scott and his email address was posted, then it would be appreciated, and thank you for the defense, I am new around here and you will probably see me mess up a post here or there!

89DOHC

Wanna know the truth i have a KA24DE in my 89 swapped right in i didnt use ac cause i took it off my 89 bah who needs it.. u will need ECU and harness not necassary to get cluster cause then u will nedd to replace whole dash harness as well.. not fun u just wont have a tach when u hook up ur 89 guages engine fits fine u do have to get PS lines and put resivior on opposite side.. other then that it works perfect and fits perfect no problems with it no jigling or fighting with anything i still am using my 89 radiator too and its runs pppppeeeerrfect and a huge change in HP being my 89 was stock and i swapped in a 92 DOHC with IHE and underdrive but that is my 2 cents have any questions about the swap e-mail me at [email protected] LATER!

ZartaN

............But if you have a OBD 2 engine (95-98)You would prefer a 91-94 ECU and harness and ignition, distributor, a few other things to avoid the emissions trouble of OBD 2.Right??

Clutch Question, I have a 98 engine I am about to transplant to my 89 and I do not know what year clutch I need to buy.

Does it depend on the engine or the transmission?

Stop hating each other on this site.....Its all 240 love in this beautiful 240 world.....no matter how much one know's or pretends to know.

Merry Christmas:ylsuper Party On!!

tad_240

:cool:

I am not exactly sure about the clutches, but I just put a Centerforce clutch in my 90 240 off of nopi for under $200.00, but when I did they asked me if it was a 89-90, or a 91-94, they had different part numbers, but I was told on here that a 90 transmission would work for a 93 engine, so I am just going by what I see, but it appears that the SOHC and the DOHC have different clutch part numbers, so maybe it's the fact that the DOHC puts out a little more torque, or they are just trying to make more money, anyways, as we all know, the clutch bolts on to the flywheel, and as long as the transmissons were compatible, and the flywheels are the same, I couldn't see you needing a different clutch, just a new one if needed. But that is the opinion of a light repair mechanic so, I do not know about 95-98 240's, so I am pretty sure I am right, but get a second opinion, if I helped at all! Laters.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”