swap from a ka24e to ka24de question

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
ZartaN
Car: boardsports

Does anyone know for sure if the flywheels were all the same??Thanks

:ylsuper Yeah!

tad_240
Car: working on and customizing cars and stereos

:thinker

I just went to nissanpartstore.com and it says that they are the same, by matching part numbers and pilot bearing numbers, so take that for what you will, just trying to help a brother out.

:smoker

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

Mattback, that was weird. I never said the actual motor would not bolt in. Everyone knows the engine mounts are the same. But, what you're saying is that when you have an SOHC model car, all you do is take out the SOHC motor, put in the DOHC motor, WITHOUT SWAPPING WIRING HARNESS? I've seen with my own eyes my friend convert the SOHC harness into DOHC harness, admittedly because he couldn't get a hold of a DOHC harness, but if he did he WOULD have to swap them. The DOHC ECU does not make the SOHC run. The wiring is different inside the car as well. If you compare the electrical schematics in the FSMs for both engines, they have some wire color differences. Maybe I misunderstood you, and you did mean that one would have to swap wire harnesses, and THEN there would be no wiring problems, but there WILL be if you want your car to do more than just turn on but control things like lightning, AC/heater etc. Btw, all the steps you mentioned about bending/extending lines, are the very same ones you'd have to perform to put an SR in an SOHC car. What was fake about my statement, now that you've read the background of why I stated it? The splicing? Nope. the pumps and filters being in different positions? Nope. The pain in the *** part of it all? Don't think so. If people have time (not money because DOHC is cheap), they should go for swapping the engines if their SOHC is about to die, but it's not a walk in the park, is all I'm saying (compared to just putting another SOHC in there).

From another person who’s done the swap:

Electrical - SOHC systems and DOHC systems are somewhat different in the wire routing, primarily the power/fuse wiring for the ECU (at least for the '95 vs '90 systems), but also some sensors and inputs for the OBD, tach, speedo. It's not really a big deal if 1) you have the FSM (wiring diagrams) for both the SOHC and donor DOHC systems, and 2) you can read and understand the wiring diagrams. Then its a matter of identifying the differences, and cutting/splicing the DOHC harness to match the SOHC systems. The harness plugs that connect to the engine room and dashboard harnesses are different, so you have to cut to SOHC plugs and splice them into the DOHC harness. Takes a little time and you have to do it right, but like I said, not bad if you have a bit of understanding about how electrical systems work.

To be found:http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....+dohc

sil80

p.s.: I realize that I just posted on a 5 month old thread.... I do feel lame.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”