Sunroof partially open

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
kpmengr
Car: 1998 Q45

Picked up my 1998 Q45 yesterday and looking forward to working on it. First issue is the sunroof. It will move forward and back if I press the open/close switch and move it by hand. Does not move easily. I can not get it to tilt up into the closed postion because the headliner cover is in the way. Right now I have it pushed forward it is tilted down in the back. How do I get it closed and weathertight until I can get the mechanism fixed? Thanks

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO - and congrats on your new Q!

If you remove the sunroof switch, there should be a way to turn the assembly by hand. Usually the center shaft for the motor has a slot for an allen wrench...

You can download your car's factory service manual at www.infinitiservicemanual.com and check out the sunroof section starting at BT-36.

Good luck!

Heath

kpmengr

I am going to look at this again this weekend. I did a search and found that the tool kit should be by the spare tire and will have a tool to close the sunroof. If it's gone, the tool looks to be a 5mm allen wrench shaped like a crank. Turn it clockwise to close the sunroof. Hope it works.

kpmengr

Found the tool kit but no sunroof tool. Used a 5mm wrench and no joy- still cant fully close the roof. Played with it more and here is what I found:
1. Motor runs in both directions using electricity and by wrench until it reaches a mechanical limit on both ends.
2. Motor does not move sunroof in the 'closed' direction. It does not matter how far open the panel is before I start this test.
3. I can push the sunroof closed by hand up until the point where it needs to tilt up flush at the back. Note I can only push it closed if I operate the motor. (i.e. operate motor closed for 1 sec then I can push the panel closed a few inches until it stops. Repeat until it is pushed all the way forward)
4. Motor does not respond to tilt switch.
5. Once closed, if I operate motor in open direction the motor runs for a 2 seconds before it starts moving the panel back. Once it starts moving it moves strong all the way to half open then stops as if the system thinks this is the fully open point.

My guesses based on the above:
1. The motor is good. It will open the sunroof.
2. The wires are not broken but the connection between wire and panel is disconnected. Note that even though the motor will not close the panel, the closed limit changes as I operate the motor. Feels like I can push the panel as far as the beginning of the wire as it retracts.

Do you agree?
Am I missing anything?
What does it take to repair the wire to sunroof panel connection?
Does anyone have a picture of what this connection looks like?

Your help is appreciated!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

You're getting in to uncharted territory for me - and I hope it stays that way. Sunroofs are the most frustrating things to fix... lots of delicate parts shimmed just right. I hope I haven't jinxed myself into a broken one! I think Wes has worked on his some... maybe he'll chime in soon.

Heath

kpmengr

I downloaded all TSB and found one from Dec 1999 that covers the problem. It lists Sunroof Repair Kit (1997-98 Q45 – FY33) 91350-6P020 as the part to order. I also found a writeup from a J30 sunroof repair that will come in handy- http://fuzzycats.com/j30_diy.htm

So now parts are on the way- $105 delivered to my door. I still would appreciate hearing form anyone who has installed the repair kit in a Q45.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

The sunroof deal on a J30 or Y33 is a lot easier than a G50.. You can fix a sunroof on those but on a G50 you gotta replace the whole thing. that was an intense job, hindsight if I wouldn't have had a sunroof already in my attic I would have unplugged the switch and called it a day.

let us know how it works out!

kpmengr

Raining in CA today so had some time to work on the sunroof (in the garage). I have everything removed from the headliner and almost have the headliner free. I cant figure out how to get the headliner "unhooked" from the metal clips. My guess is that it should slide toward the rear/ Can someone confirm? If it slides toward the rear then I need to release the headliner at the front. It seems to still be anchored at the two inner sunshade mounts. See red circles and the attached pic. How do I remove these? I have used my plastic trim tool to pry but no luck so far afraid I will break them. Are these available from the dealer? They dont show up in the FSM that I can see.
http://www.q45.org/gallery/gallery3/ind ... -headliner
http://www.q45.org/gallery/gallery3/ind ... ade-anchor

kpmengr

Please help. How do I release the headliner so I can get to the sunroof bolts?

kpmengr

I have the sunroof out of the car and just about done installing repair kit. For those that come after me... the headliner comes loose as follows:

1. Remove the plastic sunshade anchors. Install a small screwdriver and gently release the clip (not shown in FSM). See following pic:
http://www.q45.org/gallery/gallery3/ind ... ade-Anchor

2. Pull straight down at the rear headliner to release the clips at the rear window (shown in the FSM).
3. Pull down on the headliner to release velcro locations shown in the FSM.
4. Slide the entire headliner forward (toward the front window) to release the metal clips at the rear of the sunroof (shown in the FSM).

Slide the whole headliner as far back as possible to the rear window and let it rest on the center console in front. I could not get it out any door- just work around it. The sunroof frame comes out through the passenger front door.

Q451990

Thank you for posting... It sounds like you did a fine job being a guinea pig :D

kpmengr

Finally finished putting the interior back together. This was a big job and definitely NOT something you want to pay someone else to do. You end up taking out seats and most interior trim to get to the headliner. Didn't break any clips or plastic with the exception of one of the sunshade anchors described above. I did have to add 1 additional sunroof shim after the fix to get the panel aligned just right.

Q451990

Congratulations!

Roy Evrard
2005 Volvo S80
2001 Chevy S10

I have a similar problem with my 2002 in that the glass does not not come up flush with the roof and therefore leaves a 1/4 in gap. Mine will close fairly good if I jog the up button. So, therefore, I don't use it much. I had a dealer diagnose it and he told me I needed a new motor to the tune of around $900. My question is, what does the Repair kit consist of and did it fix your problem?

kpmengr

The kit I ordered was 91350-6P020. It came with left and right sunroof guide and cable. Click here to see what the parts look like:
http://www.q45.org/gallery/gallery3/ind ... repair-kit

2002 is a different body style than my 1998 so not sure if any of this will help you.

kpmengr

Forgot to add that my problem was the cable had separated from the guide on both sides. You can see in the link above that the guide and cable are 1 unit. That is why my sunroof would open but not close (by itself). The cable 'pushed' the guide open but couldn't 'pull' it back into place. My motor was fine and the kit fixed the problem 100%

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”