Suggestion for TE37 knockoffs

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

I am looking to get a set of Volk TE37 knockoff for my gunmetal color R32. The most popular choices are Rota Grid and Katana K102. Without special order the choices of size and offset are limited. Here are what I find readily available, please let me now what you think.

Rota Grid:
17x9 +25 in hyper black or sports bronze
17x9.5 +30 in hyper black or sports bronze
18x10 +15 or +30 in flat black or hyper black
18x9.5 +20 in the "chameleon" finish: http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/img/IMG_3488-L.jpg

Katana K102:
17x9 or x9.5 +12 in matte black
18x10 +25 in matte black

Personally I am leaning toward the Katana K102 17x9.5 +12 in matte black (only $432 shipped!), but I am afraid 17" will look too small.

Or please let me know if you have suggestions for other brands that offer the look of TE37.

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

Ugh, no cheap knockoff wheels, please. I'd go with a set of Enkei RPF01 if you want to save money or Rays Gram Lights or Work for well-made Japanese cast wheels.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Tough love time, **** THAT! :slap:

Get real wheels or stay with what you have. Knockoffs are for poser punks who have no real credibility and will risk their safety for a millimeter deep facade of psuedocool. Don't be that guy. :nono:

Raybrant
Car: 2005 CS 350Z

I think replica wheels are fine as long as the owner knows what they are and doesn't try to pass them off as real. Also don't ever race them, I did this, bent a wheel going into a chicane at 100mph. Not really sure what I was thinking racing them, was probably convenience since I didn't want to pick up a set of track wheels at the time haha.

Look into Varrstoens: http://www.aspecwheels.net/index.php?ro ... _1352_1438

They come in 17-19" and in very aggressive offsets. Wheels are low pressure cast, paint is actually not bad either. Never had issues with chipping or fading.

M35Squirrel

Hi folks, your are comments are duly noted!

I plan to use the TE37 replica only for my communicate to work. I am also getting a set of used 17" OZ Ultraleggera from my friend, there are some chips because he uses them for autoX and track, but he is selling them cheap and I would rather spend good money on the right tires when comes to autoX.

So for the discussion of rolling to work as a poser in replica TE37, I can't decide between 17" and 18". What do you folks think? And thanks for suggesting Varrstoens, I did not know them before, and they look just as replica-ish as the other replicas so they will work for me.

Raybrant

Probably get 17's unless you like paying a ton more for low profile tires. Just get the small dia wheels and larger sidewalls, keep you from curbing your wheels too and offers a softer ride.

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

themadscientist wrote:Tough love time, **** THAT! :slap:

Get real wheels or stay with what you have. Knockoffs are for poser punks who have no real credibility and will risk their safety for a millimeter deep facade of psuedocool. Don't be that guy. :nono:

This 1000% this.

If you are on a budget for daily wheels, I have picked up my SSR's and several other brands used on Yahoo Auctions Japan and Craigslist. Definitely worth the wait and the $ to buy real stuff (my SSR's on my skyline were $573 shipped of YAJ via GTR-garage).

If you are unwilling to go that route. The best thing for what you are wanting to look like... get some 350z track wheels. They are made by rays, and other than the silly dimples on them look very close to TE37s. they are also very solid and designed to be used on public roads by soccer moms who aren't watching the curbs. They are 18s and I personally prefer 17s a 32, but you can't argue with the prices they pop up on CL for on a regular basis (~5-600 bucks sometimes with tires)

justonebar
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR

Knockoffs on a GTR!!!!

:wtf2:

Knockoffs are for Hondas.

Like everyone said above save some money for Volk or Work wheels or scour the Internet for a good used set.

Raybrant

Knockoffs really aren't so bad for daily driving. I have Rotas on my Miata and had Varrstoens on my Z.

The only reason why I would never do it to an R32 GT-R is because they came stock with forged wheels that actually do look cool. Getting knockoffs to replace stockers is actually a downgrade.

themadscientist

I have some off-brand stuff on my R, but they came on the car and they will be replaced. I have some stock R32 R rims I just shoed with some AD08Rs that should do nicely.

M35Squirrel

I am used to keeping two sets of wheels and tires. I do that mostly because I need/want another set of aggressive tires, and swapping tires at home is just not realistic. I got that habit from my group of friends who autocross and track frequently, and to me that is the norm; a set for driving to work/autotcross/track, and another for driving on autocross/track. If I spend $2,500 on a nice set of wheels, I just can't get over myself to use that set for autocross/track. Actually autocross is mostly fine, but on a track the dust will ruin the wheels easily. Unlike you ballers who could afford to track a set of $2,500 wheels, I would split that money in half for two sets.

kabob

You and me both. The last car I AutoX'ed, an Integra Type R, I bought of spare set of white European ITR wheels for it for the track. Made my yellow car look like a banana but they only weighed 15 lbs. each and I could put some aggressive, non-streetable rubber (Falken Azenis) on them.

If you get Rays Gram Lights 57D and 57DR (N. American market 57D wheels identical to the Japanese version) wheels, you can spend as little as $1100 to $1200 for a set brand new here in the States. Cheap enough for track use and very light weight. Even cheaper through the Japanese auctions.

Raybrant

Rays should set up manufacturing in the States...

If everything were as affordable as it is in Japan, all I'd ever run would be Rays.

themadscientist

Raybrant wrote:Rays should set up manufacturing in the States...

If everything were as affordable as it is in Japan, all I'd ever run would be Rays.

You mean headquarters in the States, made in Mexico? That's how it works now.

ca18detgabby

Raybrant wrote:Rays should set up manufacturing in the States...

what TMS says is accurate. also if it was made state side you would be paying union wages to build the building, shipping costs to get machinery, emissions certs, Osha, and more than US minimum wage for workers to give 2 s*** about what they are doing.

CCW's are made in the US not 30 mins from my house.... that doesn't make them any cheaper state side vs Work wheels in japan. Used wheels are cheaper over there because of the culture and pride of ownership. not ever 16year old with 11 dollars in his pocket is modifying his car over there. state side that happens and we end up with a million 1/2 assed buckets with plasti-dip and stickers all over them.

themadscientist

I've seen a few stick on fake brake calipers, but yeah, people tend to stay in their lane over here and not fake the funk too much.

ca18detgabby

themadscientist wrote:I've seen a few stick on fake brake calipers, but yeah, people tend to stay in their lane over here and not fake the funk too much.
Yeah I have seen that as well. Rumor has it those are mostly service members who are over there from the US :facepalm:

I sure hope that isn't the case, though I don't doubt it. Some of the cars that are listed f/s state side as previously owned by service members..... well Thanks for their service.

themadscientist

Nope, it's the Japanese with that silly ****. Americans have been buying rusty GT-Rs and blowing them up immediately. There are at least ten popped rustbucket Rs at the hobby shop right now.

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

As is tradition

M35Squirrel

Alright folks, after seeing some gorgeous examples on VarrsToen's facebook, I think I am settled on VarrsToen ES2 17".
https://www.facebook.com/VarrsToenWheelsUSA

My question now is width and offset. For width the choices are 17x9 or 17x9.5, and for offset the choices are +12 +22 or +30. Which combination will fit better? I am thinking 17x9 +12, which will bring the wheel lip outward about 30mm compared to stock. Is that too aggressive?

kabob

kabob wrote:You and me both. The last car I AutoX'ed, an Integra Type R, I bought of spare set of white European ITR wheels for it for the track. Made my yellow car look like a banana but they only weighed 15 lbs. each and I could put some aggressive, non-streetable rubber (Falken Azenis) on them.

If you get Rays Gram Lights 57D and 57DR (N. American market 57D wheels identical to the Japanese version) wheels, you can spend as little as $1100 to $1200 for a set brand new here in the States. Cheap enough for track use and very light weight. Even cheaper through the Japanese auctions.
Since I can't edit, correction: The 57DR are identical in style and manufacture to the 57D but are in more aggressive offsets that emphasize concave.

kabob

M35Squirrel wrote:Alright folks, after seeing some gorgeous examples on VarrsToen's facebook, I think I am settled on VarrsToen ES2 17".
https://www.facebook.com/VarrsToenWheelsUSA

My question now is width and offset. For width the choices are 17x9 or 17x9.5, and for offset the choices are +12 +22 or +30. Which combination will fit better? I am thinking 17x9 +12, which will bring the wheel lip outward about 30mm compared to stock. Is that too aggressive?
For 17x9, you want an offset around +18 so you're perfectly fine with +12 even if it'll be a little aggressive. Here's a pic of a set of TE37's in 17x9 +12

M35Squirrel

Good example. I think I may go for +22 after I saw this one from GTRGarage, TE37SL 17x9.5 +28:

M35Squirrel

Okay my friend's OZ Ultraleggera doesn't work for R32, it has +48mm. Now I need to shop for a set of track wheels as well. What are you folks' preference/suggestion? I have been looking at Enkei RPF1, which is about $250 a wheel without center cap.

kabob

None cheaper when it comes to quality track wheels than RPF01 unless you can track down a set of discontinued Kosei K1 wheels. Not sure if the latter were ever made in GTR fitment, though.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”