Successfully cheat an ICC sensor for 03 M45.

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Ryan Heo
Car: 1996 Infiniti I30

Hi, guys.

Ever since I bought my M45, I wished I could have a regular cruise control system instead of the ICC. The sensor in my car needed to be adjusted and it would cost me $180. There is no way to turn the distance sensor off. At the last weekend while I was driving up to the Detroit to visit a 2012 auto show, ICC gave me an warning sign on the navigation screen. Since I barely used it, I thought the sensor broken. Then it turned out that a quit amount of snow blocked the sensor completely. When I was stopped in a gas station, I didn't clean the snow up from the sensor entirely because of cold weather. About 1/3 or 1/2 of snow was taken off. I just wanted to check if the snow caused the issue on the sensor at the moment. After I backed on the highway, ICC worked normally. In addition, the distance sensor didn't catch cars in front of me while it was cruising like a normal cruise control. I drove about 3 hours without interrupting the brakes. The day after the auto show, the snow on the sensor was melt out and then the sensor started to catch cars so bothered me again.

Before I was on the way back to home, I wanted to have the non-intelligent cruise back. At the gas station, I bought a duck tape and then covered 2/3 of sensing area of each windows of the sensor (below pic). It worked exactly way I want to. I drove 5~6 hours that day on the highway, but there was any issue from the cheated ICC.

I would like to hear some opinions from you guys...

Thanks,

Ryan.

splix
Car: 08 M45X

cant you just hold down the cruise button for a few seconds, and it'll switch from distance control to normal? I dont know about the '03, but in my '08 I do it all the time.

Ryan Heo

I heard that but it doesn't work for 03~04 M's.

candymanfb
Car: 2004 M45 - Every possible option on an M!

It does work on my 2004 M45, it should work on yours.
You mentioned that there was an issue with the system (sensor) maybe that might be screwing something else up and might be keeping you from switching, but switching to "normal cruise" should be possible for all M models.
Take a quick look at the owner's manual.
Ryan Heo wrote:I heard that but it doesn't work for 03~04 M's.

Ryan Heo

I didn't know about that but I am sure that mine doesn't work that way. There was no explanation on a 03 owner's manual. Can you post the page of your manual.

Thanks.

candymanfb
Car: 2004 M45 - Every possible option on an M!

Pressing the distance button for a few seconds is what turns the system into "normal".
I don't have a 2003 manual, but you can easily google it though. I was able to pull one up, but it doesn't have a link only an option to download/view it.

Good luck!
Ryan Heo wrote:I didn't know about that but I am sure that mine doesn't work that way. There was no explanation on a 03 owner's manual. Can you post the page of your manual.

Thanks.

Double E
Car: '04 M45 Dark Blue., NAV

The 2003 model does not allow for the ICC to be disabled. There was a change in '04 to allow it to be disabled using the hold-down button method mentioned.

Good for you for figuring out a fix...

Ryan Heo

Now everything's clear. This is the first time for enjoying my M with ICC.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”