Stuck Key in Fob slot

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
IndyWaterboy

So my wife was doing errands at night, car was running fine (lights...). Came out and the 09 Murono wouldnt start. She thought the key fob battery might be dead so she removed the "key" from the key fob, stuck the key in the fob slot and turned it. Now the key is stuck.

Any advice how to remove the "key"?

Any ideas why the murono wouldnt start to begin with (the dome ligts still worked but seemed low).

Thanks

IndyWaterboy

Well I got the key out last night with pliars, jumped the murono and got it home. Charger put it at 60% capacity. Charged it to 100%, but it was 60% again this morning so I will replace the battery.

Bad news, I must have broken something inside where the fob goes, because the key fob will not stay in the slot when inserted.

Is this something I really need to fix?

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

First off, Happy New Year from the staff here at NICOclub! Glad to have you in the Murano Forum!

Did you actually stick the metal key in the fob slot? I thought on the Murano you only stick the fob in the holder, not the metal key.

IndyWaterboy

my wife actually stuck the metal key in the slot thinking the battery in the key fob might be dead. I got it out with pliars, but it must have broken a retaining spring of some sort, cuz now the key fob does not stay in the slot when inserted.

Timmbo

I wouldn't worry about it, it really is not like it is something you need. When I purchased the batteries for the fob I buy 1 or 2 extra to keep in the vehicles, that way we always have one. You can buy them on ebay pretty cheap, just make sure they are sealed and that you purchase from a U.S. seller.

Wallybear
Car: 2012 Murano LE with Platinum Package
White with Beige interior

The purpose of the fob slot is to allow the car to be started if the Intelligent Key goes dead. Placing the entire fob (not just the metal key) activates the override function which allows the car to be started with a dead battery in the fob.

I suppose it's not necessary to point out that the metal key is ONLY used to open the doors or lock the glovebox. The fob slot is not a key slot. The owner's manual is quite clear on that point.

The thing to be concerned about is that you may have broken the override function. That is, you''d better check to see if you can start the car by placing a dead fob in the slot and holding it there as you press the Start button. If not, then I suggest you ask the dealer for an estimate to fix the damage done by this mistake (that is, if you ever would be stuck with a dead fob again then you might want the override function to be working correctly). I hope that answers your question simply and clearly.

Oh, and you can buy the CR-2032 batteries almost everywhere. Target, for example, sells them for about $2 for two batteries in a single pack. No need to shop eBay or pay shipping charges. This is probably the most common "coin-type" battery made.

Good luck. ;)

Timmbo

I have to call you out on that last one.....one can purchase usually at least 6 new name brand cr-2302 batteries for a couple of bucks with free shipping. The last time I ordered them I got 8 of them for a total price of $1.88. Replaced batteries in the fobs and in both my bike and my wife's bike speedometers.

Timmbo

Just saw one for $3.29 for 20 of them, USA seller!!

Return to “Murano Forum”