Strut hitting hood

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Bay Dog
Car: 1985 300z Turbo

My hood as been dented up on the passanger side from the strut hitting it while going over bumps. I was told that all I would need to do is to weld a new peice of iron on to hold the frame to whatever it is supposed to be attached to, and it isn't all that difficult. I have no idea how long this has been going on as I have only had the car since september, and it was already there. I know I am probably on borrowed time here. Has this happened to any of you before and is the repair as easy as it has been explained to me? Thanks in advance for any help/advice. If it matters I have a 90 240sx se.

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

JESUS MAN! If your strut rod is popping up and hitting your hood then that means that the rod has broken through the strut mount and is basicaly bobbing up and down. Think of it this way, if your rod were to go all the way DOWN (like if you hit a big pothole or something) it would come out of the mount entirely and that could lead to massive suspension failure and cause you to have a wreck. I would at least try to pull a mount off of a junkyard car if you do not have enough money to get a new mount from Nissan.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

you probably need new struts, too.-chet

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

Yes, Chet also speaks the truth, you might as well just get some Tein HA's with PBM's, that will solve your problems :)

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

You might want to check for other damage too. Bent control arms and other suspension bits...since none of that stuff is supposed to move that much. You're lucky, you need that fixed like yesterday. Do you have a lot of rust on your car? You should definitly check the other strut mounts too (or at least the other one in the front). Struts popping up through the hood is never fun.

Bay Dog

As you can probably tell, I am not too versed in this subject, but are you saying that I need to replace a strut mount and that should cover it. To answer the rust question, it is yes, but it's not like the floor boards are fallen thru or anything. Also, is this something one with limited tools can handle, or will I need to get someone to start cutting stuff out? ----------Yes, Chet also speaks the truth, you might as well just get some Tein HA's with PBM's, that will solve your problems -----------

This sounds a little out of my league!!!!!

I assume I would start by removing the tire and bolts on the peice that is under the hood? from there???? I am sorry, but this stuff is new to me. I also get the impression that once I start this project, I can't stop until it is done. Damn this cold Ohio weather!

91nis240

whoa you could just be missin the liitle metale peice that slide over the top threads of the strut, thats what keeps the strut rod from hitting the hood.

APEXi240

That is probably not the case. If his strut towers are rusted, then that is the problem. You will not be able to do it yourself, they will be needed to cut out and then welded onto your car. Do both at the same time, and like Chet said, change the strut.

burgy240
Car: 2000 Q45 Ann. Edition Blk on Blk

where in Ohio are you, maybe I can help......or at least bring it to the shop and see what needs to be done. I'm in cleveland. lata, joe

Mustangs_Suck

Hey i'm in that situation too.. Both my strut towers are ripped to ****..and the right side (passenger) the hood doesn't close due to the strut tower hitting it. I got a est. for a 1,500 dollars to fix it from a frame shop...and it still wouldn't drive completely normal..can't really weld a frame back together and have it still be the 100% exact same as it was when it was made..

You are pretty much screwed..you'll need a new body and then have to swap whatever you want from your car into that one.. or i'd suggest just getting a new one if it is Stock or whatever.. It's funny..cause mine is a 1990 240sx as well.. it's so ****ed up it isn't even funny...un-repairable i think..if not it'll be a not straight frame anymore for around 2,000 bucks to fix it.so that just isn't worth it.

Look into a new body man...or otherwise..new car...Good Luck...i sure as hell can't find ANYTHING..

M.S.

R240NA

I have never heard of that. Damn. The upper mounts are soft rubber and can feasibly tear apart enough to set the rod free, but I can't believe the tower is damaged enough to do that.

Bay Dog

Thanks for all you help with this. I appreciate it. It is easy to tell who is really trying to give sound advice and who isn't. I find it hard to believe that Mustangs_Suck has a car that is so screwed up that he almost can't stand it, but has a mod list a mile long. Interesting....

Burgy240, thanks for the offer. If I lived closer, you'd see it today. But I am down near Dayton and that is a major haul.

I think changing the strut and rewelding whatever needs to be rewelded is probably the way to go. Burgy240, what do you think is a fair price to expect to pay for this. Full well knowing that you haven't seen it?

Thanks!

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Before you do anything....locate the problem. I see two different scenarios mentioned here, but noone has actually confirmed what the problem is.

If the strut rod is the only thing that is popping up into the hood, then you are probably missing the metal washer that sits between the rod and the upper bearing.

If the entire bearing assembly is moving up with the sheet metal, then it may be your sheetletal that has rusted or corroded through. This would be very apparent and could be seen just by opening th hood.

Bay Dog

I did a little more through inspecting last night and noticed that there is more than one "tap mark" in the hood and fire protection stuff. Trying to describe this the best I can; It looks like the major hit came from the bolt on the actual strut hitting hood. Looking at where the other bolts (3 in the triangle around the strut) are on the frame under the hood, the farthest one to the outside of the hood doesn't seem to hit. (Possibly because the hood is already raised there) The one towards the front of the car has left an impression, but the one towards to firewall has left the biggest impression of them all with the exception of the actual bolt from the mount. Not knowing the total mechanics of it, it seems to me that when I go over a bump the spring is pushing the frame up and is what is causing those bolts to hit, and the strut is coming up and causing the most damage. Does this make sense??? I have also noticed that my tire is ever so slightly beginning to cave inward moreso that the driver side. Does it make sense that something inside the strut has broken causing it to not work properly and that is what is causing this upward compression from the spring? I am sorry for the long post, thanks for taking the time to read and decipher.

Mustangs_Suck

Bay Dog wrote:Thanks for all you help with this. I appreciate it. It is easy to tell who is really trying to give sound advice and who isn't. I find it hard to believe that Mustangs_Suck has a car that is so screwed up that he almost can't stand it, but has a mod list a mile long. Interesting....

Thanks!

yep because you know, once you mod a car it is IMPOSSIBLE to get into ANY accidents EVER again... wtf is your problem?? what seems interesting to you about that?

****in' ignorant people..get a clue..

I could post pictures of my ripped strut towers and the passenger hood not closing due to them, but this stupid forum only allows 400X400 pictures and mine are 800X600. If someone would host them i could...but i suppose no one would because i'm lying about it anyways right :rolleyes Oh yeah i forgot..

M.S.

C-Kwik

Bay Dog wrote:I did a little more through inspecting last night and noticed that there is more than one "tap mark" in the hood and fire protection stuff. Trying to describe this the best I can; It looks like the major hit came from the bolt on the actual strut hitting hood. Looking at where the other bolts (3 in the triangle around the strut) are on the frame under the hood, the farthest one to the outside of the hood doesn't seem to hit. (Possibly because the hood is already raised there) The one towards the front of the car has left an impression, but the one towards to firewall has left the biggest impression of them all with the exception of the actual bolt from the mount. Not knowing the total mechanics of it, it seems to me that when I go over a bump the spring is pushing the frame up and is what is causing those bolts to hit, and the strut is coming up and causing the most damage. Does this make sense??? I have also noticed that my tire is ever so slightly beginning to cave inward moreso that the driver side. Does it make sense that something inside the strut has broken causing it to not work properly and that is what is causing this upward compression from the spring? I am sorry for the long post, thanks for taking the time to read and decipher.

If those 3 studs are moving, then you may have some serious issues. Try pushing down on the front end of the car with the hood open and watch it. Those studs should not move. Neither should the strut tower except in relation to the rest of the car. Also, maks sure your hood isn't loose or misaligned.

Bay Dog

Mustangs_Suck, I see your point and I apologize. I have had problem after problem with this vehicle and your post of needing a new body really wasn't what I wanted to read. That is probably what led to me going off. However, that could be a possibility and I do appreciate your honesty. Move on from here??

C-Kwik, I will do that at lunch today and post what I see. Thanks for your continued help with this.

Mustangs_Suck

Bay Dog - Apology Accepted, I understand your frustration, and i feel it, as I too am going through it I HAVE to get a new body there is NOTHING else I can do....and i can' t find or pay for one. You at least may have other options, but I don't. I was just sharing what happened to me and what I HAVE to do, you may not have to though, and i hope you don't as it SUCKS, but don't run away from the fact that you might have to get a new one...i ran away from it for a long time....**** i went to about 8 welding shops thinking the next'll be 1,000 bucks cheaper and they wouldn't tell me that even if they do weld it, it still won't be a straight, solid frame anymore....but after awhile..i realized i HAD to get a new body or sell it...and that sucked.

Good Luck with it all, hopefully you'll be able to get it welded...mine are ****ed beyond recognition..from what you are saying, yours isn't.

M.S.

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

Mustangs_Suck, could you please email those pictures to me? I'm really interested in seeing them, and I can resize them for the forum if you'd like...I don't have a place to host them though, sorry.

[email protected]

Cool name BTW!:ylsuper

Mustangs_Suck

yeah no problem i'll do that.

Thanks for the name comment hehe only speaking the truth :D!

M.S.

Bay Dog

Yeah, I'd like to take a look at them as well for comparison sake if it isn't too much trouble.

[email protected]

Thanks!

Mustangs_Suck

Yep i'll send them your way too in a minute.

M.S.

Bay Dog

Last night I pressed down on the fender as suggested by C-Kwik and it is SOLID! Like trying to press in a cement wall solid! Seems to be there is a breakdown in the strut itself and it is not compressing correctly, thus causing the spring to push up into the frame over every bump. This would explain the bolts hitting the hood from the frame. It would also explain why the strut goes straight up into the hood. In my mind anyway......

Hence the digress back to chet when he suggested to replace the struts. I may not have a welding issue after all???

Does this make sense or am I grabbing at straws here??

Thanks!

C-Kwik

Are you running any aftermarket components? And/or has anyone worked on your suspension at all?

APEXi240

That happened to the SCC Sentra SE-R...the strut froze up and eventually punched through the hood.

Bay Dog

As far as I know, there has not been any suspension work done to the vehicle. Except for the exhaust, I don't see any other modifications either. The tires on it are 225/55/15. They were on it when I bought and I assume they were added. I don't believe they are factory spec tires for it. The car doesn't seem to sit any lower then any other 240 I have seen so I don't believe it to be lowered either. Does this help??

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”