Strange problem with electronics of the car

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Qashqai

Last night I parked my car outside a shopping wall. After I return back to my car, I immediately noticed something strange happened:

-The clock on the upper right corner of the information screen (the screen that is between the speed and rpm) was disappeared.
-There was only temperature, centered on the top row
-The temperature is constantly changing between 8 - 9 - 8 - 9 - 8 in a rhythm (normally outside was 1 or 2 degrees)
-The unit (centigrade celsius) was flashing (the outside temperature alert was disabled, even if it was enabled, in that case the number should flash as well. I never saw the unit flashing before)
-The brightness of the whole lights returned back to 75% (normally it was 100%)
-All other settings were there (radio presets, maintenance and tire mileages, average fuel consumption, average distance, ...) :wtf2:

I put the clock back, increase the brightness. Run the engine...wait for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the engine. Turn it on again and it became normal:
-Temperature 1 degrees, C' is not flashing. Normal
-Time upper right corner. Normal
-Brightness full. Normal

So what do you think? it is like someone disconnected the battery or reset the software (although some of the settings are there). I am confused and scared. It never happened before. I hope it is not the computer of the car. The car is under warranty now, but I can't replicate this error again if I go to the dealer... and what if it is a sign of a failure and what if it fails after warranty expires :frown:

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

check your battery terminals to make sure they are tight. (any modifications/installs in the past week of anything in your car?)

with computers and electronics its ok to once in a while get strange things happen when extremely cold or extremely hot.
a few years ago when i still owned and drove my 2002 nissan maxima, i was driving at about 35mph in the hot summer of about 105degree outside, and out of nowhere my RPM & MPH needle dropped to 0, and then bounced back to their appropriate position. never happened again lol. Then a few years later, the information LCD display on the speedometer would not illuminate when the temps were around freezing or below. no matter what - if it was cold = no LED light on the information LCd display. once the car warmed up, the lights came back on lol. the problem went away after a that winter.

i wouldnt freak out, but keep an eye on it.

Qashqai

I will check the terminals tonight. I removed the battery, cleaned the terminals, cleaned the battery tray, filled the cells with distilled water and put it back last July. I am pretty sure I tighten up well, but definitely double check. I didn't use grease between the posts and clamps, because I hate messy grease. No other mods or installs....wait a second, when I took my car to PDR, did they remove the terminals to avoid triggering the side airbags??? I don't know. I will go and check...But if the terminal is loose and there happened to be an intermittent power loss, than all other settings and memory should be effected, right?

I will keep an eye on it. I totally agree, electronics do funny things!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:I will check the terminals tonight. I removed the battery, cleaned the terminals, cleaned the battery tray, filled the cells with distilled water and put it back last July. I am pretty sure I tighten up well, but definitely double check. I didn't use grease between the posts and clamps, because I hate messy grease. No other mods or installs....wait a second, when I took my car to PDR, did they remove the terminals to avoid triggering the side airbags??? I don't know. I will go and check...But if the terminal is loose and there happened to be an intermittent power loss, than all other settings and memory should be effected, right?

make sure its dielectric grease

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Qashqai wrote:I will check the terminals tonight. I removed the battery, cleaned the terminals, cleaned the battery tray, filled the cells with distilled water and put it back last July. I am pretty sure I tighten up well, but definitely double check. I didn't use grease between the posts and clamps, because I hate messy grease. No other mods or installs....wait a second, when I took my car to PDR, did they remove the terminals to avoid triggering the side airbags??? I don't know. I will go and check...But if the terminal is loose and there happened to be an intermittent power loss, than all other settings and memory should be effected, right?

So? Update please.

Qashqai

Rogue One wrote:So? Update please.
Sorry, I totally forgot to give an update. I checked the battery terminals and they looked fine. As ImStricken said, probably it was an intermitent problem with the electronics.

Return to “Rogue Forum”