Strange hesitation issue

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
cbak999g35
Car: 2007 G35
1995 Mustang Cobra
2007 VW Passat wagen - wife's car

So I've noticed an intermittent issue the last couple of months, where upon taking off from a stop, there is hesitation as soon as I touch the gas pedal, and then it recovers. Lately, I've realized that this hesitation only occurs, or is noticeable, when I have less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Does this make any sense???? I scheduled an appointment at the dealer, but then after filling up with gas, the hesitation stopped. I don't think it's related to the quality of the gas, because this has been going on since January (I fill up every Friday). Anyone heard of this before??
Thanks in advance.
Chris

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Do you have a sedan? I've heard of issues with the HR engines dealing with hesitation or abrupt starting from a stop. Not sure on the gas tank level correlation...

I would try and keep the tank at least 1/2 full and see if it happens again. Or you could take it to the dealer with less than 1/4 tank and have a tech do a ride-along...

cbak999g35
1995 Mustang Cobra

Thanks Joe.
Yes, I have an 07 sedan with just over 52k miles. I will monitor for a few more tanks and then make a decision (I have warranty until September I think.)
Like this morning, it was doing it after every stop until I got to the gas station. Then after filling up, issue was gone the rest of the way to work. Ran out later in the morning, no hesitation at all. Very strange.
CB

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

Mine has had that from day 1. It gets worse and worse mine only did it on part throttle.

I ended up getting a P0345 Camshaft Position Failure check engine light sliplight would come on stay on. I bought a new camshaft position sensor and replace it. This seemed to fix the hesitation. I still get it once in a while but not anywhere near as often. I bet you have a failing camshaft position sensor. Not bad enough to throw a code but bad enough to make the engine hesitate.

I also have a 2001 G35 sedan with the HR motor. I have almost 98,000 miles on the car.

Just FYI at 69k miles my 3 out of the 6 spark plugs were trash.

Also never ever ever touch the throttle bodies.

jerrykid323
Car: 2007 INFINITI G35 Sedan

I just bought an 07' last week and I didnt really notice anything right away but the next day I noticed this same thing but only after the car has been running for at least half an hour. it happpends while on an uphill and when i have to reverse the car, any help with this would be awseome.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

The front timing covers on some of these cars have been known to cause an intermittent issue. The magnetic retarder inside the cover can sometimes throw an erroneous signal causing the engine to basically hiccup for a second. For the most part this happens once and a code may be logged, but if it does not happen on a concur ant drive cycle the CEL will not illuminate.

Chances are if your dealer calls Infiniti's TechLine they will most likely be told to start with replacement of the covers only. I do not think that there is a TSB and it is really a case by case basis.

jaygilbert
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT
Commuter
4/7/11: 174k+ miles

I'd go with GWOODS, sounds like when I had that problem with the Camshaft Position Sensor. It happened for me when my car was running at normal temp, the car wood stall out every so often, no matter how much gas I had. Not turn on, then wait X amount of minutes for it to cool, and it would start up and drive. Never had any hesitation at the throttle in drive, only at a stop and take off. A lot of Nissan's use these stupid sensors (both driver's side and passenger side) they are like $40-$50 bucks and easy to replace. Change it out, rule it out. Passenger side usually is the culprit first.

Is your gas tank reading correctly?
How many gallons can you put in when you fill up at quarter tank?

Usually running near fumes will throw a code, being that you are running too lean.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hi their Jaygilbert,

The hesitation mentioned in this thread is specific to the 2007+ G35/37. The older VQ would typically exhibit a long crank as a CMP sensor is failing, if not it might stumble and stall randomly but a code would/should be saved.

Having experienced exactly what you are talking about they are very similar but slightly different.

cbak999g35
1995 Mustang Cobra

I finally got around to taking her into the dealer, and it was a computer update. Since the update, the hesitation issue has not happened again. Thanks all.
CB

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Glad to hear it.

geneo25
Car: 2007 G35 Sedan
1972 510 2dr
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I recently bought a 2007 G35 sedan and am not happy with the throttle response off of idle. If I am not very careful when a light turns green and apply too much power the car will hesitate and then jump. A smooth application of power is almost impossible. Is this the same symptom described by others in this thread?

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey sedan

cbak999g35 wrote:I finally got around to taking her into the dealer, and it was a computer update. Since the update, the hesitation issue has not happened again. Thanks all.
CB
I just saw this thread. I recently bought a 2007 G35 Journey sedan and have the same issue. Sometimes hesitates from start and is not easy to accelerate smoothly from a stop. Did they charge you for checking this out and updating the computer?

Master9999
Car: Infiniti G35 2007 model , sedan

hello all , i am a new joiner from a gulf country which is Oman !

I have a G35 2007 model bought it recently , it did 109000 km's only .
I have hesitation issues as well and i have an error code which is p2a03 ( A/F sensor 1 bank 2 )
In addition on the above my car is acting funny related to A/C cooling ( even i have changed the filter and checked the A/C gas was ok ! ) .
Fuel consumption is more than normal !

Some times in slow ride like 20-30 km's the engine hesitates and some times goes off !!

I need help and hope that the pars required are not expensive .

One last question ... is A/F sensor = Oxygen sensor ? i mean are they the same ?

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”