Strange fuel gauge behaviour

All things Altima Coupe.
Alt.ImaCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. Every once in a while, when I get in the car, my low fuel warning pops up. Today it flashed and then said I had 157KM range left. WTF? Then I noticed that the fuel gauge was on empty. Over the course of the next 3-5 minutes it climbed to almost 1/4. Clearly the light is triggered by the gauge, not the range calculation, although I don't understand how they aren't the same.

This only happens sometimes. Anyone else see this?

JAFO
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, 3.5 SE, Dark Slate

Do you find yourself parking on a hill or other incline often?

The gauge in your instrument panel is connected to a tool in your gas tank which lets the car know when the fuel goes below a certain level, thus it's almost empty. However, this tool only works correctly if your car is on level ground, thus distributing the fuel in your tank evenly. If you're on an incline or decline, the fuel will rush to the front or back of the tank, causing the measuring tool in the tank to take a false reading.

Alt.ImaCoupe

It alway happens in the morning after being parked in my driveway which is virtually flat.

CanadianCoupe
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5 S 6MT

This has happened to me a bunch of times, I made a thread about it a couple months ago. Still happens. Yesterday it said I had like 30km's left and the needle was almost on 'E' then as I drove went to over a quarter tank and the warning left.

Alt.ImaCoupe

I searched, but only saw a thread about when the warning goes on, not about the gauge climbing. I'll check again.

JAFO
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, 3.5 SE, Dark Slate

Perhaps you should take it into the dealer?? There may be a problem with the float or resistor in your tank.

I have never had a problem with the fuel gauge in my car.

brandong
Car: 2008 Blue Altima Coupe 3.5SE

I would suggest taking it back to the dealer if it happens more than once or twice. I've seen this in a few Audi's, but when it happens in their car it beeps the most ungodly sound.

My bosses car will do it 4-5 times in a 25 minute drive. Its a bad sensor or float or something, but costly enough to replace out of warranty that it doesn't get done. (Heard of a few Audi's with the same problem).

boystar22
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S

Audi's have a reputation for their sending units going bad because people like to put 87 instead of 93 in the tank. When I had my A4, my friend who had one identical to mine always put 87 in his (And it ran like crap too) and had to have the sending unit replaced three times under extended warranty. Once the dealership figured out it always had 87 in the tank they stopped covering it under warranty. Also after that he never had any problems when he switched back over to 93.

Although the fact that his broke self couldn't afford 93 in the first place and the talk was always practically dry probably had something to do with it. Either way fuel pumps and sending units don't like improper grades of fuel or being run at almost empty. Thats just my .02; plus I have to stick up for Audi's =) (note: sticking up for Audi's not Audi Drivers).

brandong
Car: 2008 Blue Altima Coupe 3.5SE

Wasn't bashing Audi, just know its a problem. I actually really like them, but was related. I seriously considered an Audi before my A/C, but wanted a Coupe and not a 4-door (wasn't about to buy a new Audi Coupe).

And I wouldn't doubt my boss puts regular in there nor do I doubt that is a direct cause of the problem.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

I've never had it do a 1/4 tank move, but it moves every now and then. I just go based off my mileage for the tank and don't worry about it.

altimacruiser
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Sometimes it comes from cheap and low grade gas not having the lubricants in the gas that is needed to lubricate the parts of the fuel level sending unit. You can go to checker and buy some chevron with techron fuel treatment and it will lubricate the sending unit and the problem should go away. My girls mustang was doing the same thing and the dealership bought her two bottles of the treatment and it fixed it and now all she has to do is use it every oil change and the fuel gauge works just fine. I personally use Z MAX fuel and engine treament and my gauge has never had any problems. Just a suggestion from my experiences.

boystar22
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S

My father's Trans Am does something similar, it has a V-Shaped gas tank with practically no baffles in it (horrible design) I've taken off from a red-light in it at 1/4 and watched the needle climb to a half tank, at then stop (fairly quickly) and watch it go past E and the engine actually shutter a little. I don't know how our tanks are shaped or how well they are baffled, but you might have a sticky float. I'd try some cleaner they others suggested just to see if its something simple. As low as the stations around Atlanta got a while ago I'm sure i've got sediment in the bottom of my tank now.

My boss used to have a really old Toyota Camry that had a sticky float, granted it would take about a half hour after filling it up before the needle would make it all the way to full. At least it isn't that bad!

Alt.ImaCoupe

I hear what you guys are saying, but the strange this is that when I turn the car off, it's almost at 1/4. The next morning, it's on empty. The car hasn't moved, so the float can't be sticking. If it was, it would stick at 1/4 not empty.

I'm wondering if it's more of an electrical problem. And maybe worse since it's gotten colder the last week or so.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. I'll likely just take it back to the dealership if it happens again. And waste my time there just so I have a record of the complaint if it gets really bad later. I mean, it's not like they're going to fix it without a gun to their head.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”