Stock turbo size..

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
TTkickedin
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx TT 5 speed, t-tops, < currently in intensive care unit!
2011 MBTA BUS

I've found that the OEM turbos are hybrids? Anyone know the name? I've heard they're t2/t25 but I can't seem to find any other info regarding that besides the one thread I pulled up. Not to mention I can't find any replacements. :rolleyes:

Are there any cars with the exact same turbo as us? I need a cheap replacement as I am pinching pennies to get new pistons and any other parts i might have to buy to get it back on the road.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

I guess you could call it a hybrid its a Garrett off the shelf turbo and no as far as I know the Z32 is the only car with these turbos.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

damn. if I had enough time i could get two random t25's and have an exhaust flange adapter made, but idk. if they blow legit, that's what i'll do.

besides our classifieds and egay where could I find them cheap? New/used doesn't matter.

NolimitZ32

Stockers, not really anywhere, they are a rare turbo as far as turbos go, so either the 2 you listed or salvage yard (hint: mark/300zxttman) Word of advice (because I've been through this) don't try to do anything to your Z on a budget, if you don't have the funds to fix it right then hobble around in it until you save enough or borrow money, go get a early 90s miata or civic DD (save on gas and still get around) then start saving for decent replacement parts for the Z. Throughout my build I spent thousands on s*** off-brand parts and am now swapping them out for the real good stuff and just throwing what I got (with 180 miles, not 180k miles, 180 miles) in the trash, believe me you will be better off and waste a lot less money if you do it right the first time.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

I wonder why nissan would do something so stupid! They just wanted repair prices to be sky high after the customers just dropped 50-60k a tthe dealer when it came out? :rolleyes:

My turbo's ar eokay for right now, a little shaft play but nothing too ridiculous (the fans dont hit the side walls.) I guess if my turbo's blow, i'll just use it as an excuse to upgrade. I was thinking twin GT2860rs'es. Would you agree? I only plan on daily driving, so what would you recommend?

NolimitZ32

1) Nissan did it because for what they were trying to get out of the car it was the best turbo possible.
2) Even with upgrades, unless you have good fab skills and the desire to beat your head against a wall while screaming cuss words I'd go with a prefab set such as what SZ, Z1, CZP or IPP sell, ready to bolt on and go.
3) if the turbos aren't blowing oil or coolant right now I'd just turn the boost down if you want them to last or drive it as it is but please don't take shortcuts with parts I'd hate to have to tell you in a few years "I told you so" if it was me i'd get a cheap daily and save up. When I did go through this I got an expensive daily and ended up waiting for 5 years to get back to working on my Z.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”