Stock radio upgrade w/ aftermarket equipment 1st gen Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
insomnia816
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I would like to bring up this topic because I want to replace my stereo with something else and need some suggestions. But I won't replace it right now since I have spend 2k already on parts upgrade. It would be nice if I could get some feedbacks on the models/types of the products that I researched. As you know what I am looking into is not just a plain gps or touch screen device, but with capabilities which enables me to do anything a real entertainment device would do. The selections can be very hard to make due to various brands and models. Here's what I have researched in general several devices have in common so far.

Price Range - around $250 ~ $500. Of course there's devices cost 1k and up. But I won't put into consideration.

Double DIN type - Most common type but there's also Single DIN types. But Single DIN won't be my choice since Rogue's stereo is 2DIN why go with 1DIN?

Screen Size - 7" mostly (some are 6.5" in diameter)

Screen Type - Detacheable/ Non-Detacheable / Motorized. Motorzied would be my consideration since it is hard for thieves to stole. I like the ideas how the SD/DVD slots are hide behind the screen when not in use. Just to get some idea how motorized mechanic would work you can check it on YouTube.com

Touch Screen Display - Some comes with just screen or with Remote Control , but some remotes looks pretty generic

Amber display buttons - I would say it would be a requirement but it will limit down the selections quite a bit since it needs to match with factory color, some display as blue but could be change through menu settings? Not 100% sure.

GPS built-in w/ maps & software - Most common ones are PolNav & Nav n GO - i GO 8 or other software, be aware some are just promotional maps. Which means it has very limit functions, or beta-testing versions.

Bluetooth/iPod - Very common function but wouldn't demand lots functions beside displaying phone numbers and dial pads. For iPod, I don't think I need it since I don't have an iPod.

DVD Players - Some offer Dual-Zone mode while gps in active. Most are single changer which would wipe out Bose's 6-CD changer. Support playing many of the DVD formats. DVD loading time varies.

Radio - Built in AM/FM with Radio data stations(RDS) build in so all stations are set accordingly. Another important thing to look for is the Steering wheel button support.

AUX input - not a great concern but definitely would add backup camera function to it

TV antenna - A great function beside DVD and gps.

Now to name a few of the devices I have on mind:

Eonon G2201Uhttp://www.eonon.com/GPS-Navig...photo

G2202Udo a "g2202u" search on ebay

GoodDeals18http://cgi.ebay.com/2-din-car-...aac7a

laptopspart28http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Motorize...e8d4f

Yfteshophttp://cgi.ebay.com/7-Motorize...dc6aa

eyestar123http://cgi.ebay.com/7-GPS-Navi...a8462

JVC KW-NT1http://mobile.jvc.com/product....age=1

JVC KW-NX7000BThttp://mobile.jvc.com/product....age=2

Sony XAV-70BT/ XAV-60 / XAV-W1 - great display, sound, but no gps and expensive

Other simpliar named products which can be found in the Rogue FAQ section.AVIC-DX3 UpgradeAlpine IVA-W205 UpgradeKenwood DNX5120

For more related 2DIN products can go to YouTube and type "2DIN gps" and you can get a nice list of products

I will update the op for more named brand units some other time

Modified by insomnia816 at 11:56 PM 1/11/2010

Modified by insomnia816 at 12:09 AM 1/12/2010
Modified by insomnia816 at 11:45 PM 1/13/2010

Leo2005

From these that you asking I would go with JVC. You should go with Kenwood or Pioneer or Alpine because these 3 have the best sound but Alpine lagging for navigation. Everybody have different opinions.

Cypress_1973
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Premium

I put in the Pioneer AVH-P4100 DVD. It has all the features you're looking for except the GPS(i already had a separate GPS) It has all the accessories to hook up cameras, Direct control for Ipods/Iphones,Satellite,bluetooth,DivX, Dolby Digital sound, it's7" touchscreen,Multifunction/multicolor, tilts etc etc. Can upload your own pictures for wallpapers/screensavers. Extremely pleased,(I've always been a pioneer fan) and fit in the hole of the factory stereo near perfectly. Had to install little surround to fill in gap(I had it done at a stereo shop, and it looks like the stereo came with the car)Excellent radio for a very reasonable price. I paid $650 cdn. installed.

Leo2005

I used to have pioneer avic-d3x and I loved the sound of this unit. Even stock speakers did sound a lot a lot better but I sold it because it was always asking for dvd for navigation and was lagging in bluetooth when connecting to a smart phone. Just today I bought off ebay used avic-x910bt for $300 that soon will be delivered and then I'll test it with my JL speakers zr570-sci and zr650-sci

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

insomnia816 wrote:... It would be nice if I could get some feedbacks on the models/types of the products that I researched. As you know what I am looking into is not just a plain gps or touch screen device, but with capabilities which enables me to do anything a real entertainment device would do. The selections can be very hard to make due to various brands and models. Here's what I have researched in general several devices have in common so far.
Hi insomnia... once again its obvious you've done your homework. I'm also looking to replace my double din stock radio so I'm interested in what type of feedback you'll receive. I'll admit to buying a lot of products off eBay...(been doing it for many years) That said, some of the "no name" products like the Shark DVD/GPS System scare the hell out of me. While we can save money having something shipped from Hong Kong or Korea... it leaves little room for recourse if the item is junk. In checking the feedback behind one of the ebay item links provided I discovered the seller had 10 negative feedbacks between Oct & Dec with customers complaining the product was not as advertised, defected and/or DOA. I can certainly appreciate wanting to keep the budget at $500 or below, that sounds good like a reasonable goal to me as well. However while the eBay prices are very attractive I'm afraid I just might have to throw in a couple hundred more and buy a brand name like Kenwood, Pioneer, Panasonic, Clarion etc. and save myself the pain and hassle of getting burnt.

In regards to the common features you identified I'm hoping for the same ones but also realize I'll probably have to make some concessions. Some are "must have" features as opposed to "would be nice to have." Double DIN type - This is a must have for me. Its a big hole so I plan on utilizing every square inch of it.

Screen Size - I'm actually flexible on this one. In fact I'd gladly take a slightly smaller screen as long as the remaining space is utilized by offering physical hardware user controls. While the bigger displays are nice some manufacturers (ahem Kenwood) are making the screens bigger and the function buttons smaller. Some buttons are no bigger than a grain of rice! I at least like a volume control knob. I hate having to navigate thru a menus just to adjust the balance or other commonly used functions

Screen Type - Detacheable/ Non-Detacheable / Motorized.
insomnia816 wrote:... Motorized would be my consideration since it is hard for thieves to steal. ...

Okay... help me out here I'm not sure I understand how the fact that the unit is motorized will makes it harder to steal. Am I missing something?

For right now a motorized unit has never been a consideration for me. I just see it as one more thing that can break. I'm sure the tilt screen is great for reducing glare, watching television and DVD's but I'm sure I could survive with out it. Actually I can't imagine I'd be watching enough video programming in my Rogue to justify a motorized tilt display.
insomnia816 wrote:...to get some idea how motorized mechanic would work you can check it on YouTube.com
Is there any chance you could provide a YouTube link to one you specifically like?. Maybe if I see it in action I'll appreciate it more and change my mind about the motorized units.

Touch Screen Display
insomnia816 wrote:... Some come with just screen or with Remote Control , but some remotes looks pretty generic.

Touch screen is a must for me. Personally I hate the remotes. I had a high end Pioneer system in my last car. The remote was always getting misplaced, (lost in the console etc) and it looked nasty after years of use, buttons were too small, and the remote had limited function, I found it to be a PIA. Give me touch screen functions and a few mechanical controls.

Amber display buttons
insomnia816 wrote:... I would say it would be a requirement but it will limit down the selections.
I'm with you on this one. As much as I would prefer the lighting to be amber in color so it matched the rest of the interior lighting, this is one item I'd be willing to sacrifice if the price is right (and I get the other checklist items I want)

GPS built-in w/ maps & software
insomnia816 wrote:... Most common ones are PolNav & Nav n GO - i GO 8 or other software, be aware some are just promotional maps.
This is another must have for me... and I won't make any concessions on the quality of the AV. There are some really cheap, limited function bargain basement GPS systems on the market that do a half a** job of navigating you to a destination. For years I drove Hertz rental cars with Neverlost for many years long before GPS came all the rage. I've also owned both Magellan and Garmin GPS systems (currently using Garmin) even within Garmin some of their units outperform others. I must have a reliable easy to follow GPS navigation.

Bluetooth- Another must have for me. My wife loves the handsfree Bluetooth cell phone function in her Rogue and would kill me if I did any type of upgrade that sacrificed that function.

I-Pod (meh)... I have no use for it. I've been downloading and ripping mp3's for 13 years and now have over 260GB of mp3's complete with album art. I started long before anybody could even spell iPod. I tried getting into the iPod groove once... hassled the iTunes registration process etc... but in the end didn't like how Apple and iTunes attempted to control the process, how I filed my selections etc.

DVD Player - As stated earlier... a nice feature but I would be willing to sacrifice this . I already spend enough time in my car.

Radio - Built in AM/FM with Radio data stations(RDS)No argument here... all a must have!

Another important thing to look for is the Steering wheel button support This is another must have for me. No room for negotiation.

AUX input - Another must have for me. Or at least jack for accepting a backup camera. I have no plans to install on right away but will eventually. My main concern is based on user reviews complaining it takes to long for the camera to come online after shifting into reverse. NET: They start backing up even though the camera is not online (displayed on the in dash monitor). The just back up blind... which kind of defeats the purpose of having the camera in the first place! I'm hoping newer systems will switch to and display the rear camera view "immediately" upon switching into reverse.

TV antenna Hopefully the Rogues roof mounted antenna would suffice enough to pull in local TV channels. Although if the system includes a unobtrusive antenna it would be nice. Being able to watch weather and or breaking news if you can 't get near a TV could be a life saver

Heres another contender... the Pioneer AVIC-X710BT. Its not one I'm serious about yet... just one to throw into the competition...

Pioneer AVIC-X710BT In-Dash Navigation Audio/Video Receiver with DVD

$699 (or... buy a open box unit from Crutchfield for $629)

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/...ssi=0

Or... save even more money and get the same Pioneer unit off eBay (being sold as) the Pioneer AVIC-F7010BT for only $529!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...63622
Modified by Elton Noway at 3:48 PM 1/14/2010

RedVenom
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

If you wouldn't mind forking out an extra 50 you can get an eclipse avn6620. i believe it has all the features you ask, do a search you'll find it.

Leo2005

Like what features? Dvd, nav, xm, bluetooth, mp3. That's all I'm asking about. I think any dvd/navigation unit play these formats. That's why I gave up an idea for carputer and sold it on craigslist because I thought this is too much for a car.

insomnia816

wow, thanks for the feedbacks guys! I will do more further research on this further as for now.
Cypress_1973 wrote:I put in the Pioneer AVH-P4100 DVD. It has all the features you're looking for except the GPS(i already had a separate GPS) It has all the accessories to hook up cameras, Direct control for Ipods/Iphones,Satellite,bluetooth,DivX, Dolby Digital sound, it's7" touchscreen,Multifunction/multicolor, tilts etc etc. Can upload your own pictures for wallpapers/screensavers. Extremely pleased,(I've always been a pioneer fan) and fit in the hole of the factory stereo near perfectly. Had to install little surround to fill in gap(I had it done at a stereo shop, and it looks like the stereo came with the car)Excellent radio for a very reasonable price. I paid $650 cdn. installed.
Indeed the AVH-P4100 DVD is a very perfect choice if I decide to go without asking for GPS function. Other than that it has basically everything build in. It's an excellent upgrade, which I could later decide to add an gps with video input, such as Garmin or Megellan to display on it.
Leo2005 wrote:I used to have pioneer avic-d3x and I loved the sound of this unit. Even stock speakers did sound a lot a lot better but I sold it because it was always asking for dvd for navigation and was lagging in bluetooth when connecting to a smart phone. Just today I bought off ebay used avic-x910bt for $300 that soon will be delivered and then I'll test it with my JL speakers zr570-sci and zr650-sci
Congrats on your bid. The reasons for me to back off from the Pioneer Navigation models AVIC X910 BT & Z110BT (710BT is out since its only plays CD) is the MSN Direct will not be supported after 2012 and the co$t scales crazily with navigation function. My local retail store sells this unit 4x what you have paid for!

Elton Noway:

Thanks for the constructive feedback! I true too, have bought alot stuff from eBay. But I am starting to debate more myself wheather to get myself a no-name product or a named product. But after seeing so many comparisons, I start to think myself more and more. Currently I have this in my mind. Rogue's not a cheap vehicle, it feels wierd to install no-named product onto it. If I were able to find stuff like Leo did on Ebay for a $600 valued named item. Its worth the money. But If I were to go with the $300 no-named and have it installed. I have to place a bet in my mind first before everything works fine. Then after that if everything works accordingly I would then said its worth the money and effort.

About some of the functions I mentioned I still have some questions unsolved:

Screen Type - Detacheable/ Non-Detacheable / Motorized.Correct me if I am wrong but motorized units usually have a full screen size of 6.5" or 7" with DVD slot in the back. An example would be AVH-P4100 shown on Youtube which has the DVD slot in behind while ejecting the disk. Some motorized name brand units has detacheable face plate and some don't. I haven't seen alot of the unit mention about it except video showing the demonstration how the device work.

GPS built-in w/ maps & softwareI noticed some player require to insert a gps CD into slot before running, am I right? What I have seen in demonstrations are DVD plays while have the gps running on background which confuses me since the slot usually is a single slot.

The Steering wheel button support true too I would say is a must, does most of the named brand models support such feature?

Aux InputThe back up camera display response time. Any info?

TV antennaElton mentioned a good point of what local TV is good for, reporting news and weather. As this is part of the wireless network function. But it would be nice if the player is able to display current weather and traffics.

Also some corrections to Elton's post:AVIC-X710BT is CD only, no DVD support
Modified by insomnia816 at 10:57 PM 1/13/2010

crispycritter911
Car: 09 Nissan Rogue

When I got the Rogue S. I didn't like anything about the radio or the speakers. The first thing I did was ditch the speakers. Which surprisingly was Blaupunkt speakers for both front and rears. All of the metered at 2 Ohms each. That surprised me. They had all bass, some mid range and no highs. I had the car for 2 weeks. Ditched the speakers and had Rockford Fosgate 6 1/2 in the rear and Rockford 6x9s in the front. Sounded a little bit better. Then I ditch the radio for a pioneer DEH-P5100UB. Then about two weeks after that my supervisor was going to sell his Avic-D3 on craigslist. I snagged it from him for 200 bucks. Minus the Navigation Disc. In pretty good condition. I added a back up camera on the liftgate. A 1500 amp pushing a Pioneer Premier Championship Series Pro 12 inch subwoofer. Lastly The Pioneer Blutooth Mic.

Recommendation ff you buy a dash kit. Try looking into the Scosche dash kits. I bought the Metra one and it doesn't really please me. You pretty much get 3 panels. The two side plates snap into the bezel and doesn't seem to sit flush like the factory one. The plastic tabs that holds the radio seems to be really flimsy. Almost like you could just simply grab the radio and pull it out. Do you have any steering wheel controls? If so you will loose them unless you get an adapter for it. I would recommend Pac-Audio for this. If you don't have radio controls on your steering wheel, you don't have anything to worry about.

You could also go with a Kenwood Indash DVD player. It is a basic building block and you could add navigation further down the road. with it. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Ke...&lp=1

Leo2005

Installed avic-x910bt last saturday. Check engine light went up as soon as I started the car. Checked with autozone and it showed fuel sensor. No wonder for about a month acceleration decreased and fuel goes away like crazy. Also when I stop at the red light the rpm shaking about 500-700 and car feels like it is going to shut off the engine. In the beginning I thought that happened after I connected speed sensor to the radio but it seems to be just a coincidence. Going tomorrow to the dealership.

steelersfan85
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I just bought my 2011 Nissan Rogue SV with SL package last month. I'm loving the car, but I'm not liking the navigation too much. I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the unit and put in an aftermarket Double Din Navi. I want to put in the Kenwood Excelon DNX9960. I already have the sirius tuner from my old Kenwood, I don't like XM and they won't let me transfer my sirius account to the XM account. So my question is, has anyone done a aftermarket swap and retained the rear camera and/or the center console usb and 3.5mm jack. The rear camera is the most important part of this. if it'll work, then I'll be happy. The new unit has built in BT, so that shouldn't be difficult and I still have the steering wheel control adapter.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

MadOx75
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
Hertz/Audison Speakers & Amps

I just picked up a JVC NT3HDT double DIN DVD/Nav system that I'm getting put in next week. The guy thats doing it said it won't be a problem getting the stock back up cam to work. If your deck has a rear USB connector, you should be able to route that to your center console in place of the stock USB. My JVC has front USB but rear RCA inputs, so I'm having him run those to the center console. What don't you like about XM compared to Sirius? At this point, now that they've merged their channel lineup, they're basically the same. I'm in the process of trying to convert my XM subscription to a SiriusXM online subscription. That way I don't have to buy an XM tuner for the head unit, I can just stream it through the iPhone app over bluetooth. The deck has built in HD Radio and free traffic, weather and news updates through it for life, so between the HD radio, my iPod and apps like iheartradio and Slacker I really dont see the need for XM anyway...

steelersfan85

I have nothing against it except they won't transfer my account. I have the lifetime with sirius prior to the merge. I called them about moving my account and they said it can't be done. I still have my sirius tuner, so I can have that put in, plus I'll get the best of package back with the NFL channels again. So let me know how the install goes with getting the backup camera working. The unit I'm looking at has a rear usb port, so if its true that they can connect it, then I'm sold. Think the bt with work too?

MadOx75

Oh, ok, that makes perfect sense. No point in wasting a lifetime account.

As for the USB, I'm not sure that they can connect it to the existing port, but they can knock out the existing one and just run the rear USB on your deck to the same spot. The BT will definitely work, thats built in to the radio, so as long as it has power you're good.

Off topic, but good to see a Steelers fan around... I live in Eagles Country, so being a Steelers fan makes me a marked man...lol

steelersfan85

Oh gotcha, that would work too. I like having my ipod hidden in the center console.
Oh damn dude, Eagles territory huh. yeah well I live in MD and I work in ravens territory. So I get harassed all the time, but whenever we beat the Ravens, they can't say anything to me.

steelersfan85

What dash kit would I need and harness for it? Couldn't find it on bestbuy.com and crutchfield didn't have it either. Thinking of going with the Kenwood DNX6980 now since it has the live traffic.

steelersfan85

Hey MadOx75, did you get your headunit installed? I'm having mine done tomorrow and I just wanted to see if you got the rear camera connected and if the center console was able to be connected up.

blueb16

+1. any updates? i also bought a '11 rogue sv w/ sl pkg and am not liking the oem nav much. i also noticed that the center console where the oem nav sits is one-piece with the center speaker and ac vents. so if i decide to go aftermarket, does the entire panel needs to be replaced?

MadOx75

Due to the financials of the custom work I had done to accomodate the subs in my hatch, I had to hold off on the head unit. I still hate it, and I will definitely replace it in the future, but it had to wait for now. I also wasn't completely thrilled with any of the head units that are available out there right now...

steelersfan85

No you don't have to replace the panel. I had my new headunit installed. Downfall is you can't use the center console usb connector or the rear camera. I had the ipod cable ran to the right compartment. Rear camera I'm having done next week. I hated the stock nav, I love the Kenwood dnx6960 with the garmin nav. Much better

steelersfan85

Expect to spend around $400 for install and whatever else on parts. You'll only need the wire harness and the antenna adapter for it, besides all the hardware. I think I spent close to $1300

Leo2005

MadOx75 wrote:I also wasn't completely thrilled with any of the head units that are available out there right now...
Check this unit out since maybe that will fit your needs :)
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/cpc1000.aspx

harryg

MadOx75 wrote:Due to the financials of the custom work I had done to accomodate the subs in my hatch, I had to hold off on the head unit. I still hate it, and I will definitely replace it in the future, but it had to wait for now. I also wasn't completely thrilled with any of the head units that are available out there right now...
Got any pictures of your new subs?
Make new thread perhaps? :yesnod
Thanks

stranger21ny
Car: 2008 ROGUE SL

Hi guys. Does any one know the dimensions and specs of the 2008 SL 6cd Bose sys. I am looking for a nav DVD combo and wondering if it will for or do I have to buy a dash kit or something? Any Input will be appreciated

philipa_240sx

stranger21ny wrote:Hi guys. Does any one know the dimensions and specs of the 2008 SL 6cd Bose sys.
steelersfan85 might have the answer as it appears he just did a head unit upgrade. Let's see if he chimes in....

steelersfan85

Dash kit wasn't necessary for the 2011 rogue, don't think its needed for the 08, but I could be wrong. All I had to get extra was the wire harness. Also the stock backup camera wouldn't work with an aftermarket nav system. I was told it has a fiber connection when the aftermarkets have rca.

philipa_240sx

steelersfan85 wrote:Dash kit wasn't necessary for the 2011 rogue, don't think its needed for the 08, but I could be wrong.
The '08-10 Rogue requires a dash kit. Scosche and Metra both make kits for single & double DIN.

Nissan changed the audio system starting in '11. If steelersfan85 is correct, the factory unit is Double-DIN so no dash kit is required when you upgrade.

stranger21ny

What is meant by double din??

steelersfan85

Double din is the size of the navigation units. It's the larger sized radios, while single din are the smaller ones

stranger21ny

Great. Thanx slot. So I'm gussing I will need the double dim for my SL Bose

Return to “Rogue Forum”