Stillen Z-Tube or Injen Intake?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
steelcity
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

Initially I was aiming for the Injen Intake but since I've been seeing positive feedback on the Z-Tube, I am really considering it. But there's one problem.

I'm looking on Ebay and Amazon at the Z-Tube without the air filter and it's going for $60-65. Which is great. With the air filter, it's going for $270-280. Am I missing something here?

$200 for an air filter? If that's the case I might lean back towards Injen. How did some of you guys go about buying it?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Get the Z tube and connect it to the stock airbox.

So the only thing you are changing is the tube between the intake manifold and the air filter box. Like so:

steelcity

Thanks for the picture. Okay so I'll just buy the Z-Tube. But I want to remove the box. It's no problem if I go to my local Autozone and get a knm filter to attach to the Z-Tube right?

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

steelcity wrote:Thanks for the picture. Okay so I'll just buy the Z-Tube. But I want to remove the box. It's no problem if I go to my local Autozone and get a knm filter to attach to the Z-Tube right?
Why on earth would you put an open element filter inside the engine bay? It gets really hot under there. If you must do open element forget the z tube and get the injen CAI.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Why would you want to remove the box?

If you are going to 'aesthetics' then skip the z-tube and go cold air intake. CAI are useless and heat soak like CRAZY. Biggest waste of money, IMO, along with 'chips' (not real tuners like UpRev).

For performance, your best bet is stock box + z-tube + intake plenum spacer.

steelcity

Really guys? You are both making sense. I guess I just want to hear that open air. Does the car sound better with the Z-tube?

After what you guys mentioned to me about the chips, I will strictly go the uprev route. I appreciate the info on this board.

Ilya

The car does sound a bit better with the z-tube, but I have a catback exhaust as well as the plenum spacer...all those things changes the dynamic of the cars sound.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Just a quick question. I am unable to find a Z-tube specific to the RWD M35, but I have found a Z-tube specific to the VQ35DE engine from OC Infiniti (though it says it's for the G35). It appears to match the part in the picture above. Am I wrong to assume it will fit my M?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITI-G35-20 ... 92&vxp=mtr

Ilya

I bought a G35 one.

EDIT: I think I bought this one, actually: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STILLEN-Z-TUBE- ... 18&vxp=mtr

steelcity

You do notice a difference in power though, correct?

and I seen that Ebay Z-tube. It says couplers not included, is that ok?

Ilya

steelcity wrote:You do notice a difference in power though, correct?

and I seen that Ebay Z-tube. It says couplers not included, is that ok?
Yes, you have them already. Re-use the stock ones. Mine were ripped, so I bought some on EBay too...I think they were 3" but I don't remember...you may want to google that info.

CPJ LB
Car: 12 G37X Sedan- stealthy modded
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

Larz wrote:Just a quick question. I am unable to find a Z-tube specific to the RWD M35, but I have found a Z-tube specific to the VQ35DE engine from OC Infiniti (though it says it's for the G35). It appears to match the part in the picture above. Am I wrong to assume it will fit my M?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITI-G35-20 ... 92&vxp=mtr
Yes sir!! the Z tube for the VQ35DE motor will fit the M...the picture of the z tube next to the stock intake tube (shown earlier in the thread) was taken from me when I swapped out the stock intake tube for the Z. If I remember, I picked mine up from the Nissan Dealer or OC Infiniti (one of the two places that I pick up parts :biggrin: )

If you search online (Ebay, Amazon, G35 forums, NICO classifieds) you'll have a lot of options & prices for the Z tube...

I've since switched from the Z tube, stock air box, etc and installed the Injen CAI. I don't drive my M as much as I used to so it's ok for me to style up the engine bay. If it ever rains in Southern Cali, my M won't be driven either...it's a weekend car.

But to help answer the OP question of the Z tube's performance...YES. the Z tube really helps with flow and sound. I would recommend, if using the Z tube, to keep the stock air box and add the plenum spacer. You'll need a tune eventually, at that time, you'll feel the difference in added driving power. When I initially installed the Z tube, I noticed gains right away. The other thing, if you go with a black Z tube, it looks stock. You can also drop in a K&N filter with the stock air box and be set. If you plan on driving your car as a daily driver or very frequently, and depending where you live, keeping the stock air box with the Z tube might be your best bet for performance, sound and protection from heat/rain.

hope this helps...here are some pix for your reference...

Ztube with stock air box

Ztube with polished upper Plenum

New look with Injen CAI and polished upper Plenum
Last edited by CPJ LB on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larz

Thank you, Ilya for all the info!

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

Larz,

BTW, if you go with the Z tube, you can always keep the stock air filter as well...I've used both methods - stock air filter and K&N. Although I felt that the car could breath better with the K&N, it wasn't a drastic difference compared to the stock air filter...I would also clean the MAF on a monthly basis when I used the K&N filter...

Larz

Thank you, CPJ. I wasn't planning on changing out the stock air box. And even though K&N makes a filter that fits my airbox, I have a 'thing' about cleaning and re-using filters. For me, I'd rather just chuck and replace the filter when needed - I also remove the center air duct over the radiator and the air box and thoroughly clean them with each filter change. I get OEM filters on Ebay from Sawgrass Infiniti for less than $20 shipped. I also have a can of MAF spray cleaner that I use maybe once per year.

In keeping with the thread, I also would never waste money on any brand CAI alone and think I've improved anything. Those things, used alone, have been de-bunked so many times that it amazes me how many people still fall for the hype, gain between 1-3 HP and think they created a supercharged car, LOL. If you want to go that route, you MUST get the Uprev AND the CAI and then you really DO have something.

Ilya

CPJ LB wrote:Larz,

BTW, if you go with the Z tube, you can always keep the stock air filter as well...I've used both methods - stock air filter and K&N. Although I felt that the car could breath better with the K&N, it wasn't a drastic difference compared to the stock air filter...I would also clean the MAF on a monthly basis when I used the K&N filter...
CPJ, I've been hesitant to clean the MAF on this car. I used to clean the MAF and the TB butterfly valve on my Maxima's as 'regular maintenance' but read somewhere that if you touch the TB on the M35, it'll throw it off and require a trip to the dealer. If the TB is that sensitive, I don't know about the MAF.

You mind doing a quick overview of your process? Thanks!

steelcity

Thanks for the info and pics CPJ.

Ok guys, I made my decision last night (and my purchase). I am a little hard headed. I went with the black Injen intake :mike . I will get the plenum next and eventually I will use Uprev for the tuning. I just want to know which plenum to purchase? I seen at Motordynes' website they have the 5/16" or the 1/2". Need help with this.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

5/16ths. Its a good balance to maintain some of the lower end torque with better higher rpm breathability. The large tends to open up the higher rpms with a slight reduction of low. If FI or driving in the higher rpms is your thing then get the 1/2"

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

IlyaKol wrote:
CPJ, I've been hesitant to clean the MAF on this car. I used to clean the MAF and the TB butterfly valve on my Maxima's as 'regular maintenance' but read somewhere that if you touch the TB on the M35, it'll throw it off and require a trip to the dealer. If the TB is that sensitive, I don't know about the MAF.

You mind doing a quick overview of your process? Thanks!

no problem!! First, I think that cleaning the MAF is sooo much easier than cleaning the TB. In fact, I've only cleaned the TB only one time since owning the car...I did the TB relearn afterwards just to be safe...

when cleaning the MAF, it's really plug and play...just undo the two screws with a Phillips head screw driver, disconnect the harness and pull straight out. I only use CRC MAF cleaner. I use shop latex gloves and without touching the MAF with your hands, just spray liberally along the entire body of the MAF, while holding the black - end piece (where the screws go in). I then let it air dry for about 5-10 mins, then reinstall. Start the car and let idle for about 2 mins, then take the car out for a drive.

**no need to mess with the battery or any other items, no relearn process needed as well**

I know there are videos on Youtube that show the process, but we are lucky to have the type of MAF that can be easily removed from the intake area. Some cars have the MAF fixed within the intake tube so they require to remove the intake tube...

I feel the difference after cleaning the MAF...idle is smoother.

Ilya

Thanks.

steelcity

svard75 wrote:5/16ths. Its a good balance to maintain some of the lower end torque with better higher rpm breathability. The large tends to open up the higher rpms with a slight reduction of low. If FI or driving in the higher rpms is your thing then get the 1/2"
Awesome. Thanks for explaining that.

5/16 it is then.

Ilya

steelcity wrote:
svard75 wrote:5/16ths. Its a good balance to maintain some of the lower end torque with better higher rpm breathability. The large tends to open up the higher rpms with a slight reduction of low. If FI or driving in the higher rpms is your thing then get the 1/2"
Awesome. Thanks for explaining that.

5/16 it is then.
If you live in the north, get the copper iso thermal one too. It's better for cars in cold climates.

steelcity

Ok good to know. Will do. Thanks @IK

Ilya

steelcity wrote:Ok good to know. Will do. Thanks @IK
No problem, but that was a subtle hint to update your profile information, lol. :gapteeth:

steelcity

hahaha..

I want to at least install everything first!

Ilya

steelcity wrote:hahaha..

I want to at least install everything first!
I meant your location details...

steelcity

I'm in Chicago. After this last winter....

Copper plenum is the way to go for my M. :biggrin:

m35413

I have Z-tube for grabs

z-tube-oem-350z-g35-m35-t591403.html

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

^ I might have to put mine up for sale as well...

bicsintegra
Car: '06 Infiniti M35
'06 Infiniti G35 coupe
'11 Ford F-150 FX4
'13 Ford Edge Sport

great information on here I think I will go with the injen cold air intake as I only drive my M every other weekend.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”