Stillen Cold Air Intake benefits - new owner

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
glankford
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 AWD

I picked up a 2009 G37 AWD with the front end quite crinkled up. Someone before me had installed a Stillen intake where they had to chisel holes through the radiator support to run the aluminum intake pipes. Since the front of the car was wiped out, i need too replace the radiator and radiator support. This means hacking holes through a new one i just bought. The car did not come with the original intake setup, so i'm stuck with this or going back to the junkyard to buy the original setup. Is the performance improvement noticeable? I don't care about sound or how cool it looks. Since i don't have a baseline, can anyone offer their experience?

Thanks!

You probably can't see much here, but the air filters are behind what used to be the grille. The MAF sensors are in an aluminum housing.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

I would try to find a factory set up if possible, if not go and try to find the part you mentioned earlier, some of the other members will chim in and give advice as well. Keep us posted.

Gilley

I would not want to open holes in a new radiator support. You should be able to find the OEM intakes for pretty cheap on forums such as Nicoclub or eBay. When people install a new intake they offer practically give the stock one away.

glankford
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 AWD

Thanks. I used to work in the automotive sensor industry, and i know all the hard work that goes into validating the parts that come on our cars. Some of the testing that these parts have to withstand is insane. I know they have to balance performance / price, but if they could have gotten 10 more HP or 1 more MPG without going to extremes, they would have. Just my $0.02.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

The Gen III intake is supposed to give the highest hp benefit of all intakes on the market. If you want performance I'd keep them. If you plan on rebuilding back to stock then I'd sell them and purchase factory replacements.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”