Static shock.

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
feloniousmonk

Every time I get out of the V I get zapped. Anyone else experience this? solutions? It's getting really annoying.

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

Ha, so I'm not the only one! Yes, every time I get out of my car and go to shut the door I get shocked. Do you have the S or SL, because the seats are different. I have the S and I think it has to do with the fabric.

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

i too have an S and ive never been shocked..... do your seats feel like suede?

xtwoonamatchx
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

YES I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE! every time, well it seems mostly during cold weather... dont really think its been much since its warmed up, but maybe im just used to it =\

blindsnyper
Car: 2007 versa

rarely does it happen to me, but EVERYBODY else that gets out of my car b1tches about it

daan
Car: 08 S base

Here in MN all winter long (or whenever it's really dry)I get shocked from whatever car I get out of. It's static electricity from your feet on the carpet and your butt on the seat.

ElDiablo
Car: 2008 RedAlert Nissan Versa s

S model, scared to closed the door of fear of getting electrocuted! well, that is when i get my car back. I still havent gotten my car back....

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

It's interesting that everyone reporting it here has the S model. I've got an SL and never have the problem or complaints from passengers. Maybe the difference in fabric and weave affects more than looks and durability!

Mubbly
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Magnetic Grey

I have an S and it happens all the time. Sometimes I forget about it and it manages to shock me right on the nipple...

Peachey
Car: 1.8 SL Hatchback

Happens to me too. I thought it was that modular thing that I put in to prevent perforation.

shakoz
Car: 2008 Versa SL Hatchback

(knocking on wood) i don't get shocked in my sl and it is such a relief after 8 years of my accord trying to electrocute me.

here is a trick i learned with that car...you might see if it works for you:touch the metal frame of the car and maintain contact as you are getting out. it never shocked me to touch it while i was still seated in the car.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

kc5f wrote:It's interesting that everyone reporting it here has the S model. I've got an SL and never have the problem or complaints from passengers. Maybe the difference in fabric and weave affects more than looks and durability!
Nope: SL, and the annoying problem -- was fine during the winter but now with the nice weather it's like touching a bug zapper.

matttail
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

This isn't a versa issue. It's a standard property of static electricity. You rub up against a surface like cloth, or a balloon to your hair and you generate static electricity. Sometimes surfaces can be treated to help cut down on the amount of electricity (think dryer sheets).

Simple solution that will work every time: Touch metal before you start moving to get out of the seat and keep touching it till you're safely out of the car. This way the electricity is discharged as it's being built up and you never feel a thing. You can also hold your key and use that to discharge, but you can still feel it a little (and might not be great for the electronics in your key).

marleyfan
Car: Black Versa SL, CVT. Tech Package, 35% Tint, Window Visors, Spoiler

I have an SL and it happens to me ALL the time. It doesn't matter if it's cold or warm. I make it a point to push the door closed using only the window. This has never happened in my Vibe but has occasionally with other cars. NEVER to the extent of the Versa tho. I was even considiering getting those totally lame strips that hang down and drag to dissipate the static electricity. But they're so lame.

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

I've gotten it in every car that I've owned during certain periods of time... the worst was the Loyale... somebody told me my stereo wasn't grounded properly... but I've had it in all my vehicles including the Camel.

ttg1003
Car: Nissan Versa Hatchback 2008

Yeah, it happens to me all the time too. I'm seriously thinking about putting a grounding strap on my wrist and ground myself to the car's chassis

rwanttaja

matttail wrote:This isn't a versa issue. It's a standard property of static electricity. You rub up against a surface like cloth, or a balloon to your hair and you generate static electricity. Sometimes surfaces can be treated to help cut down on the amount of electricity (think dryer sheets).
My SL zaps me, as did the '98 Oldsmobile that it replaced. Suspect it's a local climate/type of clothing sort of thing....

Ron

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

I haven't been zapped yet. It's been a little humid here lately this time of the year.

feloniousmonk

Mubbly wrote:I have an S and it happens all the time. Sometimes I forget about it and it manages to shock me right on the nipple...
How the hell does that happen? Rub yourself against the car much?

feloniousmonk

I have a S. And it's been fairly warm here in LA. Even when it was f'ing hot, I still got zapped. It's most likely the suede-like cloth. At first, I thought it's static built up from the tires and the road. But, I never get shocked by my other car and it has tires so wide that they make the V's look like bicycle tires

There has to be a good solution... will post if I find any.

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

just do like i do... roll the window down and jump out.... lol.... im not that small....

feloniousmonk

Work is pissing me off so I'm sticking it to the man and surfing the web for solutions to this problem... Didn't find much. Ground straps work apparently, so does Fabreeze (which lasts only a day).

If you are getting shocked, when you go to the gas pump don't touch the pump without discharging yourself first. Here's why: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/static.avi

Some tips and info: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-out...icity

Return to “Versa General Chat”