Starting Problem!!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
kingonion
Car: 1999 Infiniti q45

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum, I just bought a 1999 Infiniti q45 owned a i30 in high school and fell in love with both.

well on to the problem lets start from the beginning. Ive owned the q45 for about a week or 2. It drove perfect, smooth, started every time i cranked it no problems.
it was throwing about 3 codes; EGR, Knock sensor, and o2. The plan was to do everything this weekend. as usual i started my car 4 am in the morning to warm up for about 10 minutes. then i take off, a little over half way to work (total 7 miles) the Service Engine Soon light started blinking my gut instinct told me to shut off the car, but i was so close to work so i pulled in and when i got in the parking spot and put it in park it shuts off. so i thought none of it just run in clock in to work like usual.
On lunch i come on to read the codes again to see if anything changed. it shows "misfire in multiple cylinders" knock sensors and o2 sensor.
i thought maybe the Egr that it was throwing earlier could be the reason why its sputtering.
i started it it was idling a little low 600-700 then i just shut it off and went back in for work. 4 hours later i came back out to go home i was planning on just driving it to my mechanics house ( about 10 miles away)
THEN it just clicks like a dead battery so i was like ok well i grabbed a jump box from work to jump start it.
i plugged up and powered it up and it cranked but it stopped cranking by it self like not enough power the lights cut off also.
i put it on a trailer took it home.
Today me and a a trusted mechanic changed out the Starter step by step no rushing took about 3 hours.
first crank did exactly the same thing and stopped cranking by its self. we tried a new battery no success.

so were kinda stumped

i changed my oil while i was down there and the oil smelled like gas. maybe from cranking it so much? The battery terminals were pretty hot not unbearable but hotter than usual.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before i take it to my shop at my work. (i work at the Nissan Plant in Smyrna Tn)

Much love.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You were throwing some nasty codes. You may have hurt the engine. Gassy oil may be from cylinder charge escaping past damaged rings caused by detonation caused by faulty O2 and knock sensors.

The starter struggling and thus heating up the battery from the unusual load may be from the damage in the engine inducing a lot of mechanical resistance to rotation.

Get the car professionally diagnosed immediately. I think a new engine is in your future.

kingonion

I appreciate the response. the proffesional diagnostics And repair, was my last resort I was just weighing my options before I just put it on a trailer and towed it there. Well you live and you learn. You know any sites that finds these engines with low miles? I don't mind doing a swap for it I got the fundings and Im about done with my civic I'll just put the Q45 under and take my time to do everything right.

themadscientist

It's always worth doing right. Hopefully it turns out to be a fried sensor or something like that, but reading what it's doing,,,,

kingonion

Lol good one. And yeah previous owner think it could be the wire tuck he did under the wheel well. It's pretty low. And he think it could have rubbed it.

themadscientist

That's a great possibility and would explain why things got progressively worse. Let's hope it was that!

kingonion

[img]/IMG_20150301_171005_zpsyxtpjcts.jpg.html][IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll17 ... tpjcts.jpg[/img][/URL] [/img]

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”