Stalling problem Infiniti I30- 2000

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
sagsabzi
Car: infiniti i3

I purchased (last year) used Infiniti I30 2000. It has 135 K on it. At stop signs/red lights its idle RPM is 800 rev/s and then it makes a dip and the car stops. It does the same in parking. Previously it gave a code for Rear O2 sensor going bad. However, when I checked some internet blogs, I cleaned its MAF with CRC cleaner. The code disappeared as well as the car stopped stalling. However after about 4 months, the car started stalling again. I cleaned the air filter and the MAF again (last week). However, this time the car started stalling again (within one week of cleaning the MAF). The diagnostic trouble code has not appeared again. If I keep a foot on the brake and another on the accelerator to keep the Revs at 1000 rev/s, the car does not stalls- This is what I am doing right now so as not to stop the traffic behind me at red lights.

Please help. I am a novice though can do some minor repairs. Previously for this car i had changed its starter as the car was giving starting problems.

ProudNissanFreak
Car: 2005 Imaginary WRX STi, 2003 Civic

Battery up to par? Battery cables possibly corroded? The cables on my B14 were corroded and I had that issue.

sagsabzi
Car: infiniti i3

Battery is up to par and the cables are not corroded.

MaximA32

I would replace the MAF as if that solved the issue previously, it is more than likely the cause of this issue. Just cleaning the MAF is only a temporary solution as the part is already failing and likely to do so permanently.

OwnerCS

Also seeing this issue on my 99 I-30. At stop lights sometimes the RPM drops from 625 to 400 and bounces back or drops to less than 400 and stalls.

A few weeks ago I picked up a MAF at the local salvage yard and cleaned and tested it to keep it as a spare. The car seemed to idle a little better with it compared to the original MAF so I kept it on. I plan to switch back to the previous MAF to see if the problem improves. I can return the MAF for a full refund so that part is good.. I think I paid $25 for it so no biggie..

Can anyone recommend a good ODBII scanner? I really like ECUTalk for my ODBI cars and I would like to get a comparable diagnostics tool for the ODBII I30.

OwnerCS

Changing the MAF cleared up the stalling problem on my 99 I30..

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Before your next start, disconnect the MAF sensor. If the engine runs w/o stalling, problem, the MAF sensor is bad. FYI, disconnecting the MAF sensor will trigger a fault code (most likely P0100).

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”