SR20DET vs. this setup

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Caplax40
Car: 1992 Sentra SE-R

Once again I am back with a noob quesion. Long story short I no longer have the partial turbo kit that I bought with my SE-R (kid wanted it back and I got my money back so all is well). So now I have a SE-R with a busted motor. So here's my question.

A local performance shop wants 3500 to install a bluebird engine yielding roughly 205hp. This does not include a custom exhaust, intercooler, etc. It's a little steep in my opinion. For $2500-2700 they will install a SR20DE with some Jim Wolf S3 cams.

So here's what I'm thinking. For the savings of $800-1000, I can purchase an intake, headers, and a exhaust (probably HKS Sport) and install all that myself and still have some money left over. Which would definitely be nice as I will be able to drop more into my suspension setup. Does anyone have an idea of what kind of power that would yield me? Or is it really worth it to spring for the SR20Det?

My goal is to have this car be an excellent all-around driver that will excel at autocross.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Hmmm...

The DET has much more potential for gains. I'm not sure what DE you'd be using, but I have rarely seen any all-motor DEs push more than 150 or so to the wheels without major work (S4, S5, C3 cams, porting, flywheel).

A DET, on the other hand, will dyno notably more than that from the start and will be easier to make faster, generally.

They want 3500 because they have to do some PITA wiring work to make that work, and are probably looking to make it street-legal (emissions stuff).

Personally, I'd get the DET, if I had to buy something, but I'd rather have them put the DE and the S3s in there, then boost the DE later on myself.

Caplax40

Thanks for the reply. I think what I'm going to end up doing is having the DE installed with cams and then boost later on. I should have them install a JDM Highport, right? Do you know what car that is out of? Thanks for the help!

USsil80

man ohh man get a sr2oVE... can we say real v-tech and around 180hp... search for the sr20ve.. that motor is crazy...

nametakennow

It's not Vtec, don't call it that. Same idea, different execution. More importantly, a VE-T would be a real pain to put together later on.

JDM highport DE could come out of a Sunny, Bluebird, or Primera, possibly an Avenir as well, and I'd think a Pulsar. I know there are turbo versions of all those cars, but I think it's safe to assume that the base models don't have boost.

It's probably a Bluebird motor, they seem to be the most common imports.

USsil80

you can get a stock VET from mossy .. they have them in stock from what i have seen around...

nametakennow

I don't see it on their site, but I guess it's possible. They have some head and internal stuff from them.

The problem is that the VET is used in one or two vehicles, and I know at least one of those has an AWD tranny. It SHOULD be possible to use a FWD tranny on it, but you'd want a beefy one like a B15 SE or GTi-R or something.

It's still going to be notably more expensive.

Kick*** idea, kinda hard to put together.

USsil80

no you can get just a sr20ve non turbo and turbo it later.. there is a really god site on this motor it is http://www.sr20forum.com just go to the sr20ve/sr20vet sub section it is easy to find... seen the motors go for around 1900

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Why not buy a DET and install it yourself? It drops straight in and everything plugs up except EGR, since there isnt any on the DET. Roughly 1700 plus shipping for motor, 3-400 for clutch, 150 for downpipe, custom exhaust 2.5 or 3", couple gauges, motor mount inserts, oil, good tranny fluid, belts, new water pump and spark plugs. Find a JWT ecu floating around for your setup or run a S AFC w/stock ECU and tune however you want. This way will still save you 1000 from their outrageous 3500 install and will give you a better understanding of how everything works and how to fix it if something goes wrong. Instead of forking out money everytime to take it to a shop.

Now if you don't want to go that route, then buy a JDM highport motor. You don't need to specify what kind of car you want it out of, just tell them you have a 91 or 92 se-r. They will send you a highport motor. They run very strong, cost around 450 shipped, 6 mo warranty and once again, install it yourself and save yourself about 2k.

Lastly, there is nobody I know of yet selling any VET motors. They are VE and are just as expensive as the DET w/less power and more money to make it faster. Plus trying to make that it a VE-T down the road would be a straight out PITA.

p.s.Turbo FWD cars suck at Auto X, especially high horespower ones. JDM motor, cams, intake, header and exhaust should get you what you want relatively cheap.

Caplax40

After some thinking I like RED DET's idea of sticking with the JDM engine and adding some bolt on's. I see it as less things to break, less weight up front, and much more suited for some daily driving and monthly autocrossing. Where would you say is the best place to get one? I think someone mentioned SOKO. I see on JGY Customs web site they have a "primera euro sr20de highport" for $729 or a JDM SR20DE for $569. Are these reasonable prices? I've heard good things about JGY, but also some pretty harsh criticisms as well. Thanks again!

RED_DET
Vendor

soko, no other way.

nametakennow

Stick to Soko .

Caplax40

Well I just emailed SOKO about getting an SR20de shipped here. Now we wait....!

outcastcat
Car: none

Ok I just entered this convo and being a noob, I was wondering about the 150whp on a SR20DE. I remember reading, rather recently, a comment in Sport Compact Car, which seems to be pretty good (they hit Hyperco+KYB on the head), that said 180 isnt too hard with this motor. That sounded a tad high on a non VTEC motor, but it is a good one. They were considering the followingECU (JWT)Cams (probably also JWT)intake header exhaustunderdrivemaybe flywheel?

Is this reasonable. Its about as far as you can go bolt onm, except for PS and AC removal, without a a turbo. well...add cam gears...missed that one.

RED_DET
Vendor

Even with cams, I think you would be stretching to get 180whp on a DE motor. Cams would have to be a necessity, s5's at that. I think you would have to have some head work as well to get those kind of numbers. 180 at the wheels is like 210 to the flywheel. I guess a 55 shot could help things out too.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”