SR20DET Ignition timing

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Gmans13

Where do I set the ignition timing on my engine. Could some one also go through the steps in timing the ignition. That would be great. Gracias:ylsuper

pampadori

warm engine. set idle to 750rpm give or take.turn off engine.unplug tpsrestart motor. let run until cold idle is finished. (5 minutes maybe)hook your timing gun pick up around the black hoop wire at the back of the valvecover. there are two, so if you don't get light out of the gun on the first one, try the other.recheck idle for 750ish (may have dropped to 50rpm with tps unplugged, this is ok.loosen two 12mm bolts holding cam sensor. while aiming the gun at the crank pulley, adjust the cam sensor so the pointer is on the second to the right notch in the pulley. (15 btdc)or between the that same notch and the furthest to the right. (this would be around 17 btdc)tighted two 12mm bolts.turn off engine.replug the tps. restart motor and check for idle again. rinse and repeat if needed. :0)

btw, you unplug the tps so that the timing doesn't jump around while you are checking it. it will jump a lot.

i am very fortunate, as i have the old apexi multichecker. i just check with timing light and compare to reading from multichecker. i don't even have to get the idle right. makes it a little easier.shaun

Gmans13

How do I set the idle?

NEED4BOOST

sory but I just had a brain fart...whats a TPS?

pampadori

TPS is throttle position sensor. its the sensor connected to your throttle plate.

set your idle by adjusting the screw between intake runners 2 and 3.

shaun

NEED4BOOST

is this on an s13 or s14 or does it even matter? If its on the s14 does it have about 3 sensor plugs on it and its on the inner side of the intake manifold towards the back?

thanx,

Seth

Gmans13

Thanks Shaun

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”