Sputter Sputter Death

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Jesda

I wanted to recreate this thread in case anyone had other suggestions.

Here's a repeat of what was happening:Randomly, at stoplights, the idle will fluctuate, and either go back to normal or die. I often have to put less pressure on the brake, turn off headlights, or turn off the AC or fan to keep it from sputtering out. When this happens, it sometimes briefly says "Low Battery Charge". There's also a strong fuel smell that comes into the cabin, then goes away.

Also, under normal acceleration at 30-50mph, it will sometimes start bucking -- and not necessarily when its about to shift. (I think that might rule out a tranny issue).

Suggestions I've received so far are to gently tap the MAF (to see if thats the cause) and leave the battery disconnected overnight.

The problem began weeks ago and has been slowly worsening. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,-Jesda Gulati

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

I had similar, but not exactly the same problems for about 4 days and found it to be Loose and old luggs around the battery post. Once replaced the problem was gone. Your problem almost sounds like an alternator though. Also you could check the switch located under the emissions canister attached to the front of the engine. I can not remember what it is called but it is in other post and that can cause the same type of problems. It's between the oil filter and the emissions canister. I'm sorry I can't remember(CAS maybe), but I know someone knows what I mean. I'm at work and can't research it at this time.

red

red

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Thats another thing..

When you unhoook the battery really clean off the connectors and the posts....

Red the part your referring to is the crank angle sensor....

kimrober
Car: 1996 Q45t, 2002 Q45

Seems like MAF sensor to me.Check the link below:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....49727

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

Yeah that's the ticket Crank angle Sensor. The dealer was telling me that people hit it or knock it when changing their oilfilter and it causes similar problems. The MAF if another culprit that causes similar issues, although when my MAF was giving me problems it only occured when going past a certain RPM. Oil on your spark plugs could cause a miss fire as well.

red

Jesda

MAF out, sprayed generously with electrical component cleaner (the guy at Advanced recommended against any kind of brake parts cleaner).

I guess we'll let it sit a few hours and wait for the magic to happen!

-Jesda

Jesda

Holy crap, MUCHO TORQUE-O!

Sprayed a whole can of this stuff on the sensor, let it sit and dry for an hour, then reinstalled it and flew out of the driveway and ripped up the pavement pulling out of my street. This cleanup should hopefully boost fuel efficiency too.

Later today I'll look for the CAS and clean the connector pins.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW

Thanks everyone!

-Jesda

Return to “General Chat”