Spotify

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
phlepper

I didn't see this noted anywhere, so I thought I would provide my experience with using Spotify with my new G37x... If this is somewhere else on this forum, I apologize, but I didn't see it before I made my purchase and wasn't able to find really good information regarding how streaming would / would not work over the USB connection. I'm pleased to say it works pretty well.

FWIW, I have the 2012 G37x with Premium package (upgraded stereo), but without Nav and I am using Spotify on my iPhone 4. I used it both with IOS 5 and IOS6 (don't see a difference).

First, here is a picture of the display:

Now some notes based on a few weeks of using this:
  • Starting playback is generally pretty easy. If I have Spotify already "loaded" on the iPhone (but not playing), when I plug in the cable, my G sees it and will automatically continue playing. If I was listening to something else in the car (when last turned off), it is a little more complicated: First I have to go to Aux -> iPod and then select Play from the car interface. This starts a song on the iPhone (not Spotify). As soon as the song starts playing, I can then just hit "play" in Spotify (on the phone) and it will replace the iPod song (both from an audio sense as well as the display).
  • The complicated part from #1 means you have to have a song on your iPhone. For most this won't be a problem, but since I use Spotify exclusively, I didn't have any songs initially, which makes getting started more complicated. But you just need one song stored on the iPhone.
  • As you can see from the photo, I picked a song with a long name so you can see that it will display a lot of characters (many more than you see on the XM stations).
  • Note the 90 of 51 numbers. I am playing a Spotify playlist with over 1,000 songs. So the '51' number is wrong (and is almost always 51 regardless of how many songs are in the playlist). However, the 90 is usually right (can't confirm always, but it seems to be accurate).
  • Shuffle Songs and Repeat All don't mean anything (I never see these change regardless of how I have the Shuffle and Repeat settings within Spotify). Not really a big deal.
  • The 2:16 playtime is sometimes accurate and sometimes wildly inaccurate. First, if you change the song, it will start counting immediately, even if it takes several seconds for Spotify to start the song (so Spotify's display may say 0:05 and the console might say 0:10). But other times it's pretty much in sync. However, after playing for a bit, it can get really off. Like 2,000 minutes into a song that is playing for a couple of minutes. Disappointing, but not a big deal.
  • Occasionally the song display gets "stuck" and when you change the song, the display still lists the last song. This is something that was more noticeable in my testing than it is in actual use.
  • The play/pause button on the G display can be used to pause and resume the music.
  • The next / previous button on the steering wheel can be used to skip to the next track and previous tracks (down in next, up is prev). There is usually a 1 to 5 second delay before the audio "boop" signifying the change and then a few seconds to start the next song on Spotify. I find using the Spotify interface on the phone to change songs is much more responsive (i.e., immediate).
Sound quality is great and I think the G works great with Spotify (and probably works similarly for any other streaming music app). I would be curious if anyone else is seeing the display anomalies that I'm seeing or if a TSB might fix it. I'd also be curious to hear anyone's experience with the iPhone 5 and if that makes any difference as well.

I appreciate hearing what others are seeing.

Thanks,
phlepper

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Hmmm....I need to see what mine can do with my iphone4 and the ipod connector. I can't stream Bluetooth in my '07 or '08.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”