Sport headlight conversion

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
hoaapple
Car: 2006 Black Obsidian M35

So I decided to embark on sporting out my non-sport headlights to get a closer match with my paint color and grill. It took me a day start to finish and the cost was about $20. Sorry I don’t have step by step pictures.

- Remove air dam behind grill- Remove grill- Remove both front tires- Remove front fender liner inside wheel well held on by push clips and a handful of 10mm bolts underneath for each side- Remove all 6 of the 10mm bolts on the bottom front of the bumper - Now go back inside the wheel well and right below each headlight assembly will be 3 more 10mm bolts to remove and disconnect the fog lamp harness- From beneath the hood, remove 2 push clips holding bumper and bumper will now be free - There will be a metal bar in front of the radiator that will need to be removed and held on by (3) 10mm bolts- There are 2 white block things below the front of the headlights, just get a flathead and lift the tab and remove- There are (3) 10mm bolts and 1 nut to remove to free the headlight and disconnect the harnesses

Once your headlights are removed, your car should look disastrously like this.

On your headlight, there are 5 screws holding the assembly to the outer lens, remove those. Put each lamp in the oven preheated at 250 for 15 minutes. When you take them out, get a flathead and pry the end where the low beams are to loosen it up and also gently pry the tabs so they not locked on the lens. Then take your hand (with gloves preferably) and pull from that side to the other until the front lens is completely off.

Now that the lens is off, there are 2 screws to remove to free the chrome bezel and with a flathead, remove the orange reflector. Now you can prep for paint.

Get sandpaper to grind down all the chrome and rinse clean. I also used a leaf blower to make sure there aren’t any particles remaining. For painting, I used gray automotive primer giving it 3 coats and allowing 20 minutes between coats. Then I used Rustoleum flat black and also giving it 3 coats with about an hour between coats. I used up 1 can of primer and 2 of paint, both can be had at Home Depot. Of course, you can get it any color of your choosing but since my car is black, that’s what I went with. Once it is cured, reverse everything and put the lamp and lens back in the oven to heat the glue. Then put the lens back on and apply pressure for a minute or two and reverse procedure. Here are my results.

Dang bird droppings......

fiveliterbeater
Car: 2006 EVO IX, 2000 Maxima SE,2005 Altima 3.5 SE

wow bud! excellent project! they came out perferctly!

only thing i think you shudve done, since you had the lights open was to install those AUDI led's while you were in there!

hoaapple

Thanks man. This was done a few weeks ago so I didn't realize about the LEDs at the time. That can be an option later down the road.

dvan

Pretty sweet man! To think some people go out and buy a whole new assembly to get the sport look..cha ching!!

fiveliterbeater
Car: 2006 EVO IX, 2000 Maxima SE,2005 Altima 3.5 SE

dvan wrote:Pretty sweet man! To think some people go out and buy a whole new assembly to get the sport look..cha ching!!
hey hey hey! now i had the insurance company pay for my lights! i just paid the deductible sir!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Thinking about taking mine apart to replace the lense with a clear lense (TSX-R from TheRetrofitSource.com) for a much much sharper cutoff.

Added this to the FAQ thread.

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

hoaapple wrote:So I decided to embark on sporting out my non-sport headlights to get a closer match with my paint color and grill. It took me a day start to finish and the cost was about $20. Sorry I don’t have step by step pictures.
Some of you guys really amaze me at times... it's like you are bored and go out to your car and wonder "what can I do to my car today", is that what it is??? I feel ashamed all I do is wait for someone to come up with ideas for their cars and filter what I'll do n what I wont... but some day, some day... I will surprise you guys... prolly not, lol. Tho I dont need the sport head lights, you will probably save someone some money... :dblthumb:

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Oh btw, since you like to "sportize" your car so much, maybe you're interested in buying the whole interior oem aluminum kit from me... and since you're in Dallas we can meet each other halfway (1 hour drive), let me know...

mexillis
Car: M45s

a.blanco0905 wrote: it's like you are bored and go out to your car and wonder "what can I do to my car today", is that what it is???
Definitely :badger

hoaapple

a.blanco0905 wrote:Oh btw, since you like to "sportize" your car so much, maybe you're interested in buying the whole interior oem aluminum kit from me... and since you're in Dallas we can meet each other halfway (1 hour drive), let me know...
I actually don't mind my wood interior. Though I'm sure there are others here that are willing to take you up on that offer for the aluminum.

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

mexillis wrote: Definitely :badger
:dblthumb:
hoaapple wrote:I actually don't mind my wood interior. Though I'm sure there are others here that are willing to take you up on that offer for the aluminum.
Ok cool man, and yeah there's some interest from another members on the kit, I just havent put it for sale because my wood isnt here yet and I dont want to make somebody wait until I do my own swap so I can ship... I was just giving you a head's up since we're so close to e/o.

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

I'm too scared to put my headlights in the oven, with my luck they would melt and shrink to a smaller size :ohno:

bhrees
Car: 2011 M37x in platinum graphite with graphite interior and premium package

Damn wish i had those skillz. awesome job

tolete212

hmm great job. thats my next project :dblthumb:

mr_luv

I am working on a lamp now, trying to get the projector out any vacation pix of how to get that bad boy out? Black out clear lens maybe quad projector mod?

donnieb83
Car: 2007 M45S

Very nice! Also good info on the TSX-R lens for TRS. I wasn't sure what size our projectors were.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”