speedometer, tachometer, temp gauge, blinkers intermittently not working s14

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

hey so my girlfriend has a 95 240. she said today while driving the speedo, tach, temp gauge, and blinkers stopped working. the dash lights still work and all other lights (that i know of). its is an intermittent problem. it seems to only happen when driving for 5+ minutes.

i dont know too much about it because she lives 7 hours away. i think it may be a ground but i dont know. has anyone had an issue like this? i searched and couldnt find much on it.

PLEASE HELP MY GIRLFRIEND!!!

mRodiek
Car: Stock Hatch

motoman399 wrote: PLEASE HELP MY GIRLFRIEND!!!
lol

Would she be able to fix it even if we do know the answer?

Make sure everything is plugged in solid, sounds like something is overheating.

motoman399

i think i could walk her through it if it was something simple. also if i knew what it was and she couldnt fix it, knowing the problem would cut the shop time down making her bill as a college student less.

i thought it was something overheating also... but what COULD it be? is there any relays that run that circuit? anyone know what else is on that circuit?

motoman399

never mind i think its a s***ty battery cable. bought it from a druggie and the car has been a nightmare because of it... thanks for looking

J14cm7
Car: 95 240sx S14 SR20det

I have a 95 as well and i have been over ever wire in that car and it doesnt sound like a battery cable. If that were the case more things would be going wrong than what you have. The FSM is really useful in these situations. The wiring section is a life saver.

motoman399

haha i have also been over every wire in a 240. i have COMPLETELY dismantled an s14. lol but when i bought the car it had a s***ty butt connector on one of the white/red wires going to the positive cable. and it would f*** up and then all that stuff would work plus the windows. which she said isnt working either.

she took it to midas (only place i could think of that would be open today) and they said the alternator isnt putting out voltage. i still think its the cable but they are too stupid to test the alt at the output on it. i have been on the phone with them for a while now and there hella dumb
J14cm7 wrote:I have a 95
i saw your thread on your kouki conversion.. the headlight brackets are the same on the zenki and kouki minus 1 bolt hole. i dont know why you had to make that extension. im thinking your aftermarket headlights are not molded correctly.... just throwing it out there. but it looks good

J14cm7

cable sounds resonable in that case. I thought you were talking about the main.
motoman399 wrote:
i saw your thread on your kouki conversion.. the headlight brackets are the same on the zenki and kouki minus 1 bolt hole. i dont know why you had to make that extension. im thinking your aftermarket headlights are not molded correctly.... just throwing it out there. but it looks good
I am pretty sure they are different because when you look on the nissan online catalog they show diff part numbers and seem to come out to diff lengths. I hate those damned headlights but i got them for so cheap they were worth it but if thats the case im gonna be pissed. might post a thread on that and see what other ppl had to do.

motoman399

well i put a zenki bracket on my kouki and i also have a zenki bracket and matched it up to my kouki silvia clip and i saw no difference in the length. just in the bolt hole where the bumper bracket bolted up. (that is the only difference)

sorry if it doesnt make much sense im a little drunk haha..

also my GF took her car into midas and they said the alternator was dead. i told them that if it was the alternator then all circuits would still work just slowly and they said they tested it and it was dead. i was pissed cause they tested it at the battery cables and not at the alternator output. (stupid f***ing people that work there) so they also said that the battery had a dead cell. (there pile of s*** machine said that) and so they put in a new battery. had my GF take it to a REAL shop and they found that in fact the alt and battery was good and that it had bad wiring on the driver side from when i lowered it the tire had burned through some of the main harness, shorting out some of the wires causing intermittent weird things. this shop also only charged her 50 bucks. midas charged her 115 and was going to charge her an additional 300+ for an alternator...

f*** MIDAS

ReaperBJJ
Car: '95 Sentra '89 240 hatch

I had a similar problem when I first got my S13, I think I had identical symptoms as you AND my alternator wasn't working. It turned out to be the big alternator fuse in the box in the engine bay. If it is that, good luck finding an auto parts store than carries them, I had to get them directly from Nissan for like $21 a piece. Every since then I've been pulling them from every parts car I've been around so I've amassed quite a collection of them.

motoman399

nope all of her fuses were good. it turned out to be some bad wires going into the car from the main harness. thanks though..

when i go to the junk yard i always load up on fuses and relays of all kinds. i have a huge bag of fuses. those things are expensive, and im cheap lol

J14cm7

if what you say is true and i am 99% sure that it is...DAMMIT MAN. I was wondering why no one else had that problem with the headlight brackets. Well that write up was for nothing haha. Glad to see you got the wiring thing figured out.

motoman399

haha thanks man.

ya i am 100% sure the tops of the brackets are the same. and if you need me to i can take a pic for reference. i have both zenki and kouki ones. kouki is still mounted on the support but the zenki is free. i can use a tape measure and everything.

either way you did what you had to do to make your car looked good and it worked so A+ for you lol.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”