Speed Sensor Third Generation Maxima o

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
maximafan

1989-1994 Maxima with SOHC engine, automatic transmission Inoperative speedometer/odometer? Check the speed sensor first! This device, located on the transmission near the oil filter, can over time come apart and the rotating magnet inside will not register with the pickup part of the sensor.

The sensor, which has an O-Ring to keep transmission fluid from leaking out, needs a GENTLE upward tug or use the claw end of a hammer to provide upward force on the tab where a bolt secures this part to the transmission.

Before removing the part make sure there is no dirt around it or this debris may fall into the port and contaminate the transmission fluid!

Once the part is off, disconnect the electrical connection and inspect the round black plastic part with the attached wire. This part can, over time, loosen and rise up in the aluminum body, effectively disabling the pickup mechanism inside.

If the plastic part has already shifted upward, try to pull it out completely so you can clean the mating surfaces of oil, which I suspect causes this issue. Because it's a friction fit, the surfaces must be clean of oil. When clean, insert the plastic part making sure the wire and rubber grommet fit snugly into the notch in the aluminum body. Press the part down as far as it will go. You may need to GENTLY tap it into final position with a rubber mallet or the like.Detailed photos are available. Just email me. [email protected]

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”