Spark Plugs...due for change?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

the manual said to change spark plugs at 96k kms, and sadly im over at 104k kms, so i want to get them changed. My question is should i just change spark plugs or do i have to do the full tune up. how can i tell if my wires are still good and is it safe to use old wires with new plugs.....And Im aware i need to use OEM plugs, i read the forums lol

where are good places to go to get my plugs changed.....would canadian tire be a bad idea? I have a 99.5 qx4. Im a student and this thing eats alot of my money, worth it, but i try to save where i can lol so dealership is out of the question!

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

Yeah u should change them. Do it yourself. Its easy. The first 5 are childsplay, #6 just needs the special Nissan tool (under your rear seat with the tools) and you climb on top of your engine like a monkey, just follow the spark plug wire with your hand (cause you cant see it back there) And youre fine with old plug wires.

Qxxx4

lol when i see "fueler" as a reply to one of my posts my face lights up lol you truly are an asset to this forum! thanks fueler for all your info on this forum

ubpsanity
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE, 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

Qxxx4 wrote:would canadian tire be a bad idea?
Canadian Tire is always a bad idea. Well, I'm sure they do have a few good mechanics, but most of them are called monkeys for a reason.

I'd go to a local garage where they pride themselves on the work they do. Or even the dealer, I like the dealer I use, Greg Vann Nissan in Cambridge.

Qxxx4

but dont the dealers charge an insane price for any work done to the car? like if i were to ask them to change my spark plugs ALONE, i have a bad feeling theyd charge me well over $300....true? Id go to brampton nissan, and if its a myth that small service like this would be expensive there, id go instead. I dont really want to do it myself, Im just not comfortable with the idea, In autoshop in highschool, guys would literally snap the spark plug in the motor. scary stuff.

fueler

The cheapest labor you'll probably find is ~ $75

I wouldnt be surprised if the dealer wanted anywhere from $150 - $300

and guess what - you pay those prices, and its probably the first time that mechanic has ever changed the plugs on a VG33. They're in the same position as you - well, actually you have the upper hand since you already read about it on the internet.

Get your leather tool bag out from under your rear seat. Inside it are 2 specialized Nissan spark plug tools. The longer one is for plugs 1-5. The shorter one is for plug #6. This is where a shop would charge you even more - they dont know about the Nissan tools so they struggle to get plug #6 with extensions and pivot joints!!! Its much harder to get that plug without using your Nissan tool.

Good luck with whatever route you choose

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

Qxxx4 wrote:lol when i see "fueler" as a reply to one of my posts my face lights up lol you truly are an asset to this forum! thanks fueler for all your info on this forum
werd. . I dunno how I wound up as a moderator. . fueler is baller... We have a lot of awesome people here.

fueler

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

I'd put changing plugs on the top of the list for learning to work on your car. For the most part it's just take the old one out and put the new one in. For this engine, it's not significantly different that other engines that any old time mechanic can work on. Just be careful not to overtighten the plug or your break the plug.

You can inspect the wires and determine if they need replacing. Look for cracks or burnt spots. Same for the distributor cap.

fueler

Exactly, thanks alabamadan. Qxxx4, if you are capable of changing your oil, then spark plugs is slightly easier (and less messy too)

Its not like a Euro or American engine where the plugs are hard (or even impossible) to get at. They are right on top, like a Honda. It's fool proof.

But I understand there are people out there who aren't so mechanically inclined. I have friends who dont even know how to take a radiator cap off (it took a group of 4 dudes SEVERAL hours just to get the radiator cap off, they almost hacksawed it, i cant believe it. ) They didnt know you have to PUSH DOWN as you turn. So if that sounds like you... i'd leave the plugs to the pros

bmlawless
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

fueler wrote:Its not like a Euro or American engine where the plugs are hard (or even impossible) to get at. They are right on top, like a Honda. It's fool proof.
I just changed the plugs on my 3.1L V6 1991 Corsica to get it to pass emissions. I can testify to the joy of accessing the plugs between the engine and the firewall. I did plugs 5 and 6 by feel alone. I was very happy to see how easy it was to reach the plugs on my QX4. Reminds me of my 2000 7.4L Chevy truck or my wife's 1983 1600cc VW Rabbit.

Qxxx4

ive done it all before, I took auto shop for 3 years in highschool, did everything from oil changes, to brake rotor machining, to oxyacetelyne welding. Its not that Im not mechanically inclined, im just terrified of something going wrong on my own car, i would rather pay someone else to do the work on it and have some kind of a warranty, than do it myself, make a mistake, and cost myself hundreds of dollars. But i did do spark plugs on a 4banger integra before in that class, it wasnt bad, I guess Ill look at the job myself when i get time (id say in a month lol) and see if i can do it myself. thanks for your help guys. And my wires seem ok, and i got a new distributor cap when I bought the car cuz the ignition went on it.

Qxxx4

oh and by the way your tip on the tool for the spark plugs....exactly why im scared to do any work on my qx4, i always have those stupid little things that i DONT know, and waste tons of time figuring it out...but i do think i saw mention of it in the owners manual.

Pathfinder995
Car: 99.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I agree with all the others - first 5 plugs were easy. #6 is tough and whoever said get on top the car like a monkey is dead on - that's how I got #6! Change them outside when it's daylight so you have illumination on your side. I'd pity the fool who had to try and get at #6 inside an enclosed garage.

But seriously man, go by a Haynes manual for $15 and this gets a whole lot easier. You said you're scared about messing up - I agree with the person who pointed out than unless a Nissan dealer is doing the work, some chump mechanic is probably doing this for the first time as well. You can do just as good and you'll do better...why? because it's YOUR car.

I would do the distributor cap as well if you're going to do the plugs and wires. $20 part from your dealer.

-Jeff

litle88

I need help, I just changed my all spark plugs but the " #6"plug. I dont have that special tool! any advice as to how to change the last one?Any help will be greatly appreciated!PS dont mean to highjack a thread.

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

litle88 wrote:PS dont mean to highjack a thread.
Hey we're not a bunch of d!ck like some OTHER forums

I'm not sure... I'm in the learning phase of this thing too. It took me a good 5 years to really figure out the 240sx. I think I have that tool, and can take a pic -- you positive you don't have it?

timmack
Car: 2002 Beige Pathfinder SE

i think that tool is only included with the qx4...might be wrong though. i wanna say that i heard that somewhere.

Issac
Car: 2002 Pathfinder, 1995 Q45

On the newer 3.5 model, there is no dreaded #6 by the way. I know this is not the thread, but it should be stated because I assumed it was going to be real bad on the 3.5 and it is not.

99QX4
Car: '07 G35, '05 FX35

Since we're on the topic of spark plugs, i had mine changed last week and 3 of my 02 sensors as well. Holy wow...it made such a difference, it is much more responsive. I had so much fun driving home just now as I flew past a 3-series BMW Although he wasn't accelerating, it just felt good to fly past somebody

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

Hey its about that time for me to change all my plugs check wires and maybe change the cap.

If you want to hook up and do them when it gets warm Qxxx4 we can do that. i mean your right up the street son

holla

litle88

timmack wrote:i think that tool is only included with the qx4...might be wrong though. i wanna say that i heard that somewhere.
Yea I would appreciate it!Thanks

I just want to know whats so special about it so I have an idea as to what I need to know.

Thanks again!

Qxxx4

hey man for sure! have you done it before? I did a spark plug change on an integra in high school. but it was a p.o.s and it was a 4 banger and it wasnt MY baby. but if i can do it myself with your help id not only save money id be proud. lol I trust my own work than someone elses anyways. When it gets warmer we will do it up for sure man. and for the record, i thought i read that the tool was under the rear seat with the jack? I think i saw a weird tool there before and didnt know what it was for

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

i havent checked for the tool yet so hopefully one of us has it.

when its warm we got lots of things to do

Prozac
Car: 99 QX4, 03 G35 Coupe, 08 MB C300 4matic

litle88 wrote:I need help, I just changed my all spark plugs but the " #6"plug. I dont have that special tool! any advice as to how to change the last one?Any help will be greatly appreciated!PS dont mean to highjack a thread.
I'm in West Chicago, a bit of a drive for you...but you can borrow my special sparkplug tools if you'd like to. I ended up buying them from a junkyard that scrapped out a QX4.

If you wanna borrow them we'll just have to find a weekend day when I'm not driving all over the place and you can swing by. It's literally a ten minute job assuming you can get the spark plug wire off the plug. Mine were cooked on.

Adnan
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

I would definitly go for a plug change

thats what i done this week with mine

the motor is now fluid smooth,throttle response is much betteras well as the mileage

i know this chinese mechanic who charged me $150 mine is a 3.5 so pain in the *** to get it done

Qxxx4

Prozac wrote: It's literally a ten minute job assuming you can get the spark plug wire off the plug. Mine were cooked on.
In case mine are cooked on just wondering whats the best way to get them off? I heard of people snapping the spark plug in half, with the other half stuck inside the motor..what a nightmare!

Prozac

I was lucky, and try this at your own risk, a big pair of pliers on the plug boot was all it took to get them off. The risk here is destroying the wires. If you bought new ones like I did then you should be okay...number six will make you sweat with the possibilities of what could go wrong.

Do not try to pull wires off by the wire itself...always grab the boot.

litle88

Thanks guyz, I have changed the plugs and boots 1thru5

I was just wondering if anyone had changed them with that damn tool!

Prozac thanks for the offer! If I cant get it out I will take you up on it sir .

InfinQX4
Car: 2000 QX4

So I know this has been going around - But d**m I can't find the #6 tool...Only thing left under the seat is the jack stuff. As I bought from an Infinti dealer, any one else want to bet they took it just so I would go back and have them replace the plug$?

Any other option?

And general feeling no need to change the wires?

Prozac

These are the tools that should be under the seat. The long and short tubes are for the plugs...the short one is the #6 tool. The curvy metal rod is the crank for the tools.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”