Spark plug wires

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Ryman
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

was going to get my spark plugs changed cuz my car was misfiring and showing p300 and p306 called my mechanic and he said that on pathfinders/qx4s when changing the plugs usually the wire breaks so he said to grab the spark plug wires..... looked around online and went to a few local shops and i found some things but then one guy told me to pop the hood and said that i didn't need wires and just change the plugs cuz he said from the coil to the plug was direct or something like that... figured you guys know the most about our cars
Question: Do i need wires? why? why not? and where should I buy?

jpedderson
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD

Which code?

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

P0306 means a misfire at #6 cylinder. You probably have a bad coil at #6. On the 2001's there are no "plug wires", you have a coil on plug ignition. The coil and "plug wire" are together - I think you can actually buy the two parts separate - but they are usually sold as a complete assembly. I've never heard of just the "wire" portion going bad... Just replace the coil assembly, super easy to do. If you're doing the one coil you may as well do all the spark plugs if you need them.

upside down in this pic...coil is at the bottom and the "wire" is the straight run at the top.

You'll have to check the build date sticker on the door jamb to get the correct coil. Most people recommend that you stay away from aftermarket and get OEM only. You can find them online at:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/n ... parts.html

They also have them at Courtesy Parts too.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

what a good mechanic, telling you to buy parts that dont exist on your car LOL

maybe he's thinking of the older QX4's with the VG33 engine.

my qx4 with the VG33 engine has spark plug wires, the original ones with 180k miles! one of the wires did break when i pulled it out, but I was able to repair it now i'm still using my old plug wires!

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

You can also find the coils Here from Parts Geek. I just put the Hitachi's in and they fixed my misfire issue. As Jped said make sure you've got the right production date, it's EXTREMELY important when replacing ignition coils. there's 2 sets, an early production run and a later. When you purchase the coils there will be a date range, just grab the ones that range within your production date.

Ryman

pedderson... it was showing p 306 a few weeks ago then checked it a few days later when the engine started missing again and I saw that it was throwing p 300 instead.... are changing the spark plugs a hard job to do I have the day off today so maybe i'll take a stab at it.. i have a little experience with cars just don't really want to mess anything up.
Now to the coils if it's showing random misfire if the spark plugs doesn't change it then hit the coils? all of them? then i heard if your engine is missing and it's not one of those culprits then it could be something wrong with my fuel system but wouldn't it show another code with it pertaining to the fuel system? asking cuz that's what the mechanic said that i talked to....

Empty V

Is this the same mechanic that yold you to get new wires? How many miles are on your Q? The coils are prone to fail 100k+. I don't see this being related to the fuel system.

Ryman

yeah same mechanic but don't know much so i just gotta go off of his word right now... but i just hit about 70k miles

Ryman

empty have you ever changed your plugs and coils? how hard is it? the hardest thing i have is locating them because there's no wires i look at the engine i know it's on the sides but don't know where they're located.......

Empty V

I was confused at first as well. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I've got my camera with me. It's pretty easy accept for one of them because you have to remove the throttle body(I think) in order to access it. All it takes is a socket to pull them out. It's definitely a good idea to change out your spark plugs while you're in there.

asnorton44

Ryman wrote:empty have you ever changed your plugs and coils? how hard is it? the hardest thing i have is locating them because there's no wires i look at the engine i know it's on the sides but don't know where they're located.......
I have replaced all my plugs and coils and I am far from a mechanic. It wasn't easy for me but I did it all in one evening.

I ordered mine from Partsgeek.com, they were about $75 a piece.

ImageImage

jpedderson

I would focus on the cylinder that threw the code, #6. Do the coil on that one.

Doesn't take long to do and is really, realy easy compared to the older engines, everything is in easy reach of a 10mm socket, spark plug socket and an extension to reach in there. The coils are circled in red above and once you undo the 10mm bolt to the cylinder head they just slide right out. The plugs are underneath.

First time budget about 2-2 1/2 hours for the whole project. The hardest part will be unplugging the electrical connectors to get in there...they can be hard to get apart sometimes (just need to depress catch and unplug).

I also bought some spark plug boot dielectric grease (non-conducting) to help seal the boots to the plugs...use just a light coating on the inside of the end of the boot/wire. I used a q-tip to apply. Also used an anti-seize on the spark plug threads to make them easier to get out again.

Here's a good info link I found when doing mine:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_ta ... Pathfinder
I just changed my plugs yesterday, and this is from memory: Be sure the engine is cool.

Remove silver engine cover (3 10mm nuts/bolts)

Passenger side: 1)Disconnect wire harnesses (2) that are held to a bracket at the rear side of intake runners. These harness are disconnected by pushing the colored tab inward (there is an arrow show that). 2)Disconnect harness plugs (2) from bracket 3)Remove bracket bolts(2 10mm bolts) 4)Remove similar bracket near the front side of intake runners 5)You should now have access to the three coil packs mounted in the middle the valve cover. Each is a small grey block with a connector attached to it, with the block held to the valve cover with a 10mm bolt. The front coil is different thant the other two. 6)Remove the 10mm bolts holdin the coils to the valve cover. 7)Lift the coil straight out,and disconnect the cable attached too the coil. The connector disconnects by squeezing a locking tab on the side of the connector. 8)The spark plugs are now accessible.

Driver side: 1)Remove black plastic air tube that goes from engine (throttle body) to air filter housing (6 clamps) 2)On the middle coil pack, you should see that there is an electrical piece on the throttle body that will prevent the coil pack from being removed. Remove the two screws that hold the part to the throttle body, and move the part out of the way (no need to disconnect it electrically) 3)There is also a wire harness bracket below the middle coil pack that has to be moved out of the way. It is held to the valve cover with one 10mm bolt 4)You should now have access to all three coils packs. Remove as explain in the passenger side section. 5)The spark plugs are now accessible.
Here's a picture of that electrical sensor in the way of the middle coil. You just need to unscrew and move out of the way... I found that a short phillips head screwdriver helps to reach in there. And since the throttle body is right there (silver tube center of pic) you can give that a quick wipe clean too...

Last edited by jpedderson on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

ARKQX33V6

jpedderson wrote about dielectric grease.BE VERY CAREFUL USING THIS TYPE OF GREASE. A dielectric is by design non-conductive, so if it is applied carelessly the non conductive grease may inhibit conduction especially in 12V applications. The HT voltage can also be increased when a non conducting material interferes with the high voltage.

Mr. jpedderson I noticed your intake valve (throttle Valve) is dirty, are you experiencing a sticking throttle. It looks like it's time to use a good O2 safe carb cleaner and a long tooth brush. Just an observation.

jpedderson

Good point. Use sparingly and obviously you do not want to coat the spark plug terminals/metal tip at the top of the plug. Really you're just helping the plug wire boot seal over the insulator/ceramic portion of the plug. You can also add a little grease on the ceramic portion too and I've seen people recommend doing both plug boot and insulator - just don't go crazy with it. A good seal keeps the wire connection at the top dry and helps with install and removal.

Ryman

k so ran into a few questions and concerns while looking for a new coil......
first of all what brands did you guys get when you changed your coils?
my Q was built 04/00 and the only brand that specifies their product is for that specific date of production is hitachi... all other brands says they're universal for all 01 qx4s so is that true? and if they claim that their part is OE then it is right?

second i'm trying to shop around so can you tell me where i can find this part?
cuz currently only partsgeek has the hitachis for my date of production but they only ship 2nd day air to hawaii which is ridiculous money......

pedderson is the dielectric grease necessary are there benefits from it or is it kinda just for peace of mind?

sorry bout all the questions just don't wanna mess anything up

jpedderson

I bought a "Nissan" coil from Courtesy Parts in Dallas. The auto parts warehouse link I posted above lists "free shipping" but I think thats only ground. If you're shipping to Hawaii it might be cheaper just to go to the dealership parts counter or a local autozone. The Hitachi's should work fine if they're listed as OEM and for your production date. (Just don't think I'd use Beck-Arnley or Standard parts...)

Dielectric grease...I've always used it and it's recommended. Helps keep the connections sealed and dry and makes for easier install/removal. Also always use anti-seize on the spark plug threads. They usually have small packets of each near the register at parts stores if you dont want to buy a whole tube/bottle.

Ryman

jpedderson wrote:I bought a "Nissan" coil from Courtesy Parts in Dallas. The auto parts warehouse link I posted above lists "free shipping" but I think thats only ground. If you're shipping to Hawaii it might be cheaper just to go to the dealership parts counter or a local autozone. The Hitachi's should work fine if they're listed as OEM and for your production date. (Just don't think I'd use Beck-Arnley or Standard parts...)

Dielectric grease...I've always used it and it's recommended. Helps keep the connections sealed and dry and makes for easier install/removal. Also always use anti-seize on the spark plug threads. They usually have small packets of each near the register at parts stores if you dont want to buy a whole tube/bottle.
K so called the dealership they want $150 dollars a coils so that pretty much ended the conversation with their tech and the closest autozone that we have in hawaii is some 2500 miles away in CA so autozone is out of the question...... I am probably going to go to my local NAPA to see if they have the coils there my question is if they do have the coils how do i know if they are OE spec or just universal cuz some salesman say anything to make a sale.............

jpedderson

Sorry, been off the boards for a while. The OEM I believe are "Hanshin" but I would also trust Hitachi coils.

Ryman

yeah i went with the hitachi and i did like you said and changed the cylinder 6 coil and all the plugs...... drove around for maybe a day or two and then it started missing again and i checked the code and it showed cylinder 2 was missing but while i was driving the CEL shut off and it stopped missing what do you guys think?

jpedderson

Hmm...if it quit sputtering I would drive it and wait until the CEL lights up again and note the postion. You could have more than one coil going bad...or it could've been random.

I chased mine around for a while because I first got "random misfire" then a specific code. Thankfully it was only one coil for me.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”