Spare Tire Pressure (psi) Have You Checked It Lately?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Spare Tire Pressure (psi) Have You Checked It Lately?
I FOUND MY SPARE TO BE 40psi TO LOW!!

I figured, since many of you will be hitting the highways- i offer you a tip that i just came across myself as something to be weary about. We all know our Nissan Rogue has a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS for short). But what many of us dont know - is that it does NOT judge the tire pressure in the SPARE TIRE. That being said, before you folks hit the road, head up to the local gas station (or if you own a compressor) take a reading on the spare tire. You dont want to be stuck out on the open road - with a flat, that you cant repair because your spare tire is to low to be used. I FOUND MY SPARE TO BE 40psi TO LOW!!

In this segment i will cover the removal and proper inflation of the spare tire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. open your trunk. and clear everything out.

2.open the part with the cloth pull tab

3. take that string & hook and hang it off the rubber seal as in the next photo.

4. next open the divider in and twist the 4 plastic tabs to release the divider from the trunk area.
there will be 4 in each corner of this divider.

5. after twisting the tabs, and releasing the divider tray, remove it with a gentle tug & place it on the ground

6. next twist this gray turning knob COUNTER-clock-wise to remove the BOSE subwoofer from the wheel.

7. gently lift the subwoofer up:

8. place the subwoofer gently (dont tug on the wire) on the lifted rear cover like so:

Mine was found to be at around 20psi-25psi
NOTE: (canadian models have a full size spare so PSI will be different = around 32-36)
here in the US - we have large donut spares. our PSI is going to be 50-60psi(max).
I PREFER TO FILL MY DONUT TO THE MAX, SO I KNOW I HAVE LONGER TO GO BEFORE NEEDING TO RE-CHECK.
60psi IS THE MAX PRESSURE FOR THE DONUT SPARE. YOU CAN ALWAYS LET A LITTLE OUT IF YOU NEED TO USE IT
IMMEDIATELY AFTER FILLING IT. (just insert a pen tip, or key into the valve and push down till you hear it- for 2-5seconds.)

HOW TO CHECK TIRE AIR PRESSURE & HOW TO FILL: (courtesy of eHow)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk28u7NTlsE[/youtube]

now just follow everything in reverse order and your done! now you are ready for any road trip!

Qashqai

Imstricken, as far as I know the maximum tire presure (which is 60psi in your Rogue's spare tire) is the MAXIMUM air pressure the tire can handle safely, right? Did you advise people to inflate the spare tire upto the maximum presure, assuming:

a. the spare will loose air pressure by time, so when needed, there will be more than enough air inside the tire,
b. before replacing the flat tire with the spare, the driver will adjust the pressure to the reccomended psi value, which is written on the door sill or owners manual

What if someone inflates the tire upto the maximum, have a flat tire, change it with the spare (which has maximum air), drive on highway for several hours under sun? the air will expand and the pressure become max+something (like 64 psi in your cae). It may fail and cause an accident.

Maybe I am missing something, maybe donuts are different than regular tires? Even if donuts are different, there may be someone read this thread and infilate his all four tires to maximum and cuase an accident!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:Imstricken, as far as I know the maximum tire presure (which is 60psi in your Rogue's spare tire) is the MAXIMUM air pressure the tire can handle safely, right? Did you advise people to inflate the spare tire upto the maximum presure, assuming:

a. the spare will loose air pressure by time, so when needed, there will be more than enough air inside the tire,
b. before replacing the flat tire with the spare, the driver will adjust the pressure to the reccomended psi value, which is written on the door sill or owners manual

What if someone inflates the tire upto the maximum, have a flat tire, change it with the spare (which has maximum air), drive on highway for several hours under sun? the air will expand and the pressure become max+something (like 64 psi in your cae). It may fail and cause an accident.

Maybe I am missing something, maybe donuts are different than regular tires? Even if donuts are different, there may be someone read this thread and inflate his all four tires to maximum and cuase an accident!
i stated 60 only because this tire doesn't get used much. the probability of it loosing air is large, so inflating it today to 60 - by the time i will need it, it will be within the 50ish psi safe operating pressure. would i cruise around every day on a tire at MAX psi? no. but i do want to mention that if they rated the tire to 60psi - that means they already took into account possible/average ambient temps, tire rolling resistance that will raise the heat thus raising the psi, vehicle weight, etc. also they do state clearly that 50mph is the MAX allowed on this tire to help reduce the temps.

YOU STATED: "before replacing the flat tire with the spare, the driver will adjust the pressure to the recommended psi value, which is written on the door sill or owners manual"
- wrong. THE STICKER ON THE DOOR JAM IS FOR STANDARD ISSUE TIRES THAT THE CAR CAME WITH. those are not the same psi numbers for a donut. every tire has different MAX tire pressures, and compounds, side wall strength, etc = so every tire will have different psi numbers for its optimal performance. this retarded donut that they include with cars is a totally different type of tire. its max is 60 - so putting in the 32that the sticker states would running the tire at almost 50% empty.
most tires that will mount our stock 17" rims will be 40-44psi max. so that makes 32-38 a good range. see the difference?

so if your donut states 60psi max - put in 55-60 and keep it at that. DO NOT ADJUST IT TO THE STATED PSI OF 32 ON THE DOOR JAM STICKER. those are two totally different tires!

YOU STATED:
"What if someone inflates the tire up to the maximum, have a flat tire, change it with the spare (which has maximum air), drive on highway for several hours under sun? the air will expand and the pressure become max+something (like 64 psi in your cae). It may fail and cause an accident." - THE TIRE ENGINEERS ALREADY TOOK ALL OF THIS INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN NAMING A MAX PSI. THEY ALREADY TOOK INTO ACCOUNT THE VEHICLE WEIGHT, THE MAX MPH, AVERAGE USA TEMPS (MAX & MIN) AND THEN TESTED THE TIRE TO SAFE OPERATING LEVELS AND NAMED ITS MAX PSI. if your statement was true, then they would have named a 50psi max. (TRY NOT TO OVER THINK THIS)

if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask, since this is an important topic.

Qashqai

...and I finished my reply, stating:
Qashqai wrote: Maybe I am missing something, maybe donuts are different than regular tires? Even if donuts are different, there may be someone read this thread and infilate his all four tires to maximum and cause an accident!
I didn't own a car with a donut type spare tire and I have no idea what psi these tires should be inflated to.

My concern was, what if an inexperienced driver inflates his regular spare to its maximum PSI value (example: one of my best friend's wife top-upped the washer fluid with antifreeze)?

:lolling:

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

ImStricken wrote: Image
I've never looked at my spare tire but I'm curious what is the "string and hook" for? It looks like a typical bungee cord but why do you have to use it; is there a cover that doesn't get removed it holds open?

meitingo
Car: 2008 AWD SL Nissan Rogue

Good call on this one, my spare was also down 40 PSI. Thanks for the reminder :)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

meitingo wrote:Good call on this one, my spare was also down 40 PSI. Thanks for the reminder :)
thanks - figured i couldnt be the only one ;)
TrevorK wrote:'ve never looked at my spare tire but I'm curious what is the "string and hook" for?
it holds the lit open above the spare tire.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:...and I finished my reply, stating:
Qashqai wrote: Maybe I am missing something, maybe donuts are different than regular tires? Even if donuts are different, there may be someone read this thread and infilate his all four tires to maximum and cause an accident!
I didn't own a car with a donut type spare tire and I have no idea what psi these tires should be inflated to.

My concern was, what if an inexperienced driver inflates his regular spare to its maximum PSI value (example: one of my best friend's wife top-upped the washer fluid with antifreeze)?

:lolling:
FOR THE TIRES BEING USED ON THE CAR: the best rule to learn, is to look at the tire side-wall, and see its MAX PSI - and then minus 5psi-10psi depending on what your doing/weather/ travel conditions/ etc.

but spare tires = i would inflate them to the MAX PSI or minus 5psi and leave it that way. most tires dont get used more than once per year, and since they do loose air slowly, id want it to be as high as safely possible.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BUMP: FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND!
Everyone please drive safe, and check those tires! :)

jcircus
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

thanks for the writeup, and the reminder!

also, just wanted to mention that you should *NEVER* use a can of "fix-a-flat" on a car with a TPMS system.. it ruins the sensors. having a good spare is a must!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

jcircus wrote:thanks for the writeup, and the reminder!

also, just wanted to mention that you should *NEVER* use a can of "fix-a-flat" on a car with a TPMS system.. it ruins the sensors. having a good spare is a must!
100% true. forgot to mention that. thank you!! :)

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

I'll have to check the psi on my spare tire, and basically see the spare tire out of the trunk because I haven't seen it even before I got the car :ohno:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

JMed wrote:I'll have to check the psi on my spare tire, and basically see the spare tire out of the trunk because I haven't seen it even before I got the car :ohno:
post up what your spare was. its interesting to know. so far me and someone else had 40psi to low stats.

JMed

I tried checking the tire pressure on mine but I think the digital gauge that I have malfunction or I did it wrong, because it was giving numbers in the 20's PSI. I will buy one of those old school tire pressure checkers and try again.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

JMed wrote:I tried checking the tire pressure on mine but I think the digital gauge that I have malfunction or I did it wrong, because it was giving numbers in the 20's PSI. I will buy one of those old school tire pressure checkers and try again.
its not broken my man. your #3 to experience this. our tires will loose psi with the years, leaving our spares useless when on the side of the road. :ohno:

go check your other tires on the car - i bet it will read right.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BUMP: thanksgiving is around the corner, and often people drive great distances. Just wanted to remind everyone to check their spare tires.

REMINDER:
Your TPMS light could have be warning you that due to cold temps outside, the air pressure inside the tires decreased and now the tires are operating under less PSI(pressure) than which they are to be operated under.

HOT OUTSIDE TEMPS = AIR INSIDE THE TIRE EXPANDS (in the hot summer months, i would drop the tire psi by a 3-5psi)
COLD OUTSIDE TEMPS = AIR INSIDE THE TIRE CONTRACTS/shrinks. (in the cold winter months, or ambient temps below 45* i would increase the tire psi by 3-10psi depending on ambient temps)

Qashqai

ImStricken wrote: Image
My Rogue has a full size spare (which is a stupid thing: extra weight and less storage space) and it doesn't have that hood and bungee cord. The floor panel has its screw holes and outline, but they didn;t attached the part. I think it is a good idea to use the hood and cord to hold the floor.

My plan is to go to a junkyard and butcher a Rogue :frown:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BUMP: Summer time mean travel times, and often people drive great distances with larger loads. I just wanted to remind everyone to check their spare tires before hitting the road (and this goes for every car you own). You don't want to be stuck in the heat, without a spare!

HOT ROAD SURFACES = AIR INSIDE THE TIRE EXPANDS AT A MUCH FASTER RATE! In the hot summer months, keep an eye on your tire's pressures if you are going out on long hauls. Every time you pull over for food or fuel, take a tire gauge and get a quick reading. it only takes 1 min or 2. If you see a tire that has increased dramatically in tire pressure, figure out why before you continue, because if it explodes at 65mph - it can prove deadly in an SUV. I keep a chart to see if any one tire increases much more than the others.

REMEMBER: UNDER INFLATED TIRES ARE MORE FLEXIBLE THUS THE TIRE WILL OVER-HEAT EVEN FASTER!

JMed

Saturday morning before my little trip to NJ I checked the pressure on my spare tire, and it had exactly 19 PSI... It was to be expected because since my last post I forgot to put in some air :ohsnap

But now is all good.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Christmas bump

Scooter71
Car: 09 Rogue SL AWD Fully Loaded

Good looks dude, I honestly would have never checked that. I don't think in all my years driving I have ever checked the spare tire, and it's something (like you said) that you don't realize you need to worry about until it's too late. I'm all over that son! :bigthumb:

ricbrk
Car: 2011 Nissan Frontier SV
Crew cab
4.0 V6 Automatic 4wd

A spare tire is something you don't think about until you need it, glad this was brought up. I checked mine, and while at it checked all 4 tires. All 4 tires had 32 psi in them, but the door jamb sticker calls for 38 psi ? The dealer said the tires were filled with nitrogen, would that make a difference ? This car has a steering wheel vibration around 40 mph, I wonder if the low psi might be a contributor. I put air in up to 36 psi, I don't know if it made a difference yet. I have a double air filter on my compressor, so the air I put in is very dry, maybe not as dry as nitrogen, but close. I remember years ago I had a Volkswagen Beetle that used the spare tire air pressure in the front to operate the windshield washers. If you didn't unscrew the hose from the tire valve and top off the air, your windshield washers quit working or the spare went flat.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BUMP: check your spare tire, now that its cold. cold ambient temps reduce tire pressures.

Unicorn
Car: 2013 Rogue S, Special Edition AWD

A good reminder. I had to use my donut spare recently so I know it's good.
I was also reminded that I really, really hate donut spares. I will give up a little bit of cargo space for a full sized spare.

Ferrisfan
Car: 2014 Rogue SL FWD w/ Premium Package

Check on my 2014 right before a road trip. It read 40 psi, and I inflated to 60 psi (which the manual says should be the cold tire pressure). This was 8 months since it has been off the lot, so I bet they are under inflated from the get-go rather than I lost 20 psi in 8 months.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BUMP for Christmas

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

summer bump. check & lube your jack. check your lug nuts as well. make sure none are missing.

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

I just wanted to bump this thread up for the change of seasons. It's over 70 in NYC so I decided to check all my tire pressures, including the spare. My main tires didn't lose much air over the winter and I put everything up to 37 psi. Went to check my spare donut for the first time since buying the car and was surprised to find only 43 psi in the spare while the recommended pressure stamped on the tire was 60 psi. I promptly put it up to 63 psi to get it back within the specified inflation pressure.

I'm definitely going to make it a point to check my spare donut tire at least once a year now just to make sure it hasn't dropped as much as it had this time!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

colonelcasey wrote:I'm definitely going to make it a point to check my spare donut tire at least once a year now just to make sure it hasn't dropped as much as it had this time!
you have no idea how many people have thanked me, for making them think about this. every single person!

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

ImStricken06 wrote:
colonelcasey wrote:I'm definitely going to make it a point to check my spare donut tire at least once a year now just to make sure it hasn't dropped as much as it had this time!
you have no idea how many people have thanked me, for making them think about this. every single person!
Do you think it's better to pump up the spare to something higher like 70 psi? My thought is that the spare tire can hold good pressure a little longer and if you really do need to use it, you can just bleed it down back to 60 psi.

Return to “Rogue Forum”