Sparco hub/Steering wheel install Write Up

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
S13Teddy
Car: R32 Skyline, S13

Since after searching I did not really find a specific article for this (actually I did but it had no pictures) I decided I would just do a quick write up on it while I was doing it. This is for how to remove the stock steering wheel and replace it with a Sparco hub and wheel.

Level of difficulty:

2/5

Tools/Materials needed:

Flat head screw driverAllen wrench (don't know the size)Tire Iron / 19mm socket with an extensionelbow greasecommon sense

STEP 1

Remove the fuse for your horn. I live in an area where I am surrounded by my neighbors, and having the horn go off all the time will not make them too happy.

STEP 2

To take off the wheel, begin by removing the small plastic cover in the middle of your steering wheel. It is held on by 4 clips, and easily pops off with a little bit of effort.

STEP 3

Next, remove the wire which connects the horn to the rest of the steering wheel. This will make it easier to remove the wheel.

STEP 4

Now, using the tire iron or 19mm socket, loosen the bolt in the middle of the wheel. I was prepared to pull like a crazy man, but to my surprise it came off super easy.

STEP 5

Now putting your hands on 9 and 3, yank back and forth on the wheel. After a few good, hard pulls it will come off. Make sure you are prepared for a crazy jolt backwards when it gives way. I was not.

No problem!

STEP 6

Place your hub on the steering column. Mine has an engraving which says "Top" and it has a little arrow as well. Don't trust it. I did, and now my steering wheel is a bit off; probably like 2 teeth or something. Oh well.

STEP 7

Using your tire iron/19mm socket, loosely tighten the bolt back on. I say this because you may want to correct it later. I just tightened it right away, and now I can't pull it off anymore because of my skinny little arms....

You may now add the hub "boot" and the little metal piece which goes on top of the hub's holes.

STEP 8

Using your handy-dandy allen wrench and your steering wheel hex screws, tighten your steering wheel to the hub. Once you are done, it will look like this:

STEP 9

I decided I was too lazy to wire up my horn, so I just put it on.

STEP 10

Don't forget to put your fuse back in so you don't lose it!

You are now done! Enjoy your sexy new steering wheel....

Modified by S13Teddy at 7:00 PM 1/27/2008

CMG
Car: 1989 240sx Hatch w/ Redtop

Nice, I could add a couple things. When removing the nut don't use the wheel lock to help you, just hold the wheel tight. Before you take off the nut and wheel make sure the tires are 100% straight and mark that position on the shaft top. And when you put it on, put the bolt on loose and drive a bit and make sure the wheel is straight, if not take off and adjust a spline, then try again.

gumby74

Actually when removing the wheel, do not take the retaining nut off. Simply loosen it a few turns. Once you break the wheel free (by pulling back and forth, right to left) then unscrew all the way.There is a small dot indicating 12 o'clock for the steering shaft. While having the tires perfectly straight is preferable, the steering wheel can be centered by the dot. Just remember to bring the mark up to the end of the steering shaft.As for the hub, 12 o'clock is gauged by the top most steering wheel bolt hole, not the "top" arrow. Overall, good work, and nice wheel. I went with a Momo Competition myself. Nice beefy ring, and good feel.

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

not bad, that wheel looks really good. when i did mine i used an impact wrench to zip that nut off. i did it before with a socket and it turned the wheel and then the new wheel didnt go on straight

S13Teddy

gumby74 wrote:Actually when removing the wheel, do not take the retaining nut off. Simply loosen it a few turns. Once you break the wheel free (by pulling back and forth, right to left) then unscrew all the way.There is a small dot indicating 12 o'clock for the steering shaft. While having the tires perfectly straight is preferable, the steering wheel can be centered by the dot. Just remember to bring the mark up to the end of the steering shaft.As for the hub, 12 o'clock is gauged by the top most steering wheel bolt hole, not the "top" arrow. Overall, good work, and nice wheel. I went with a Momo Competition myself. Nice beefy ring, and good feel.
Thanks for the feedback. I know that I definitely made some mistakes along the way, but it was my first time doing this, so it was pretty inevitable. At least if people in the future search this topic, they'll know exactly what to do and what not to do..
White Comet wrote:not bad, that wheel looks really good.
Why thank you kind sir.

happy408
Car: 1992 Sileighty

which nut is the retaining one? is the the one you took off with the tire iron?

240sxvaj
Car: 1991 240sx fastback KA-T- SOLD!
1994 MKIV TT-Daily/Track

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

nice write up!

Uberck
Car: 240sx

no wonder that car looks hacked up. a tire iron for the steering wheel? you could have easily tweaked and broken the locking mechanism all it needs is a 19mm socket w/ an extension and 3/4 ratchet. and apply counter torque while the lock is disengaged.

240FeVeR
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe!

Uberck wrote:no wonder that car looks hacked up. a tire iron for the steering wheel? you could have easily tweaked and broken the locking mechanism all it needs is a 19mm socket w/ an extension and 3/4 ratchet. and apply counter torque while the lock is disengaged.
I don't think he went out cutting up his dash, do you? 99% of people would leave the wheel locked while loosening the nut.

Aside from the "rookie" mistakes (which we all made), good job..the wheel looks nice.

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

What was wrong with the stock wheel?

Uberck
Car: 240sx

writing on the rh handle bar, dented in speaker grilles, boot sagging from shift knob

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Uberck wrote:writing on the rh handle bar, dented in speaker grilles, boot sagging from shift knob
Car is what at least like 15 years old and he just bought it a few months ago. Why be so harsh on stuff that he probably had no control of?

lofapoo
Car: Toyota sedan

Uberck wrote:writing on the rh handle bar, dented in speaker grilles, boot sagging from shift knob
That makes his car hacked up? GTFO.

For future reference, I do not recommend ANYONE pull the wheel straight off, as it can lead to a nicely bruised face. Either leave the nut threaded on then yank the wheel lose, or rent a puller from Autozone (free).

Good write up, though!

S13Teddy

Uberck wrote:writing on the rh handle bar
Well it used to say "OH SH1T" on it, but as you can tell it really does serve a purpose, so the lettering slowly moved around..

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

The steering wheel with cruise control has 5 clips. One of the clips sticks so you have to unscrew the philips head screw. There is a hole in the back of the steering wheel just for this screw. FSM does not explain this well. Broke mine trying to pull it off.

you mark the bolt end

pic of clip that broke off. you can see the philips head screw you unscrew from back of steering wheel. fsm called it fixing scrw for spring.

Modified by vancouverbc at 12:05 AM 11/25/2009

spyker
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx/ 2002 Nissan Sentra S-ER Spec V

hey for the one with cruize control. When i took my steering wheel off. On the back there is a diffrent layout for the hub and i cannot sit it down as there is the tabs for the electronics. I cant seem to figure out what to do. I took apart the steering coloum shroud and took out 4 screws and when i took that out it didnt seem like it was right. Any idea??

The post above mine here with the picture of the steering wheel attached and u can see the clip at the top, there is also one at the bottem. I need help. thanks guys.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”