South Florida S13.5 Vert Full Build

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
ProdOfFL
Car: S13.5 Vert-->Someday it'll be done, but fun for now
S14.5 DD--->500hp, daily driver w/ a damn roll cage

So I saw a thread for just builds and figured I could add mine as a build. It's been a long process considering it was never a serious build until a few months ago....so here it is.

This is how I got it...cracked windshield, no a/c, no heat, torn seats, leaking top, grant steering wheel, broken antenne, minor dings, new flako maaco paint, blown speakers, and soon after..no reverse.

First was the basics...lowered it, did the 5 lug swap, tinted the windows and tails.

Then I fixed all the stuff behind the dash (a/c and heat), put new speakers and antenne, and started a decent sound system. This is a good view of the Kenwood Excelon KVT-817DVD Touchsreen

The Alpine Type-X 10 fiberglassed into the spare tire well, and Alpine MRD-M605, and MRP-F345 for the Mids and Highs

I don't have any pictures from the system to the top change cause my computer crashed, but in that time I put an Injen cold air intake on, blitz full 3" exhaust w/ some Ebay headers....worked great. Put a 70hp wet kit on from NOS, did the intake cam swap, and that's about it I think. Here are some pix of the top swap

Mid way I treated all the bars and fixed all the rust

End shot....the wrinkles came out when I did the final tighten on the back bolts

..and w/ a friend's truck

Then the beginning the first of 3 current projects.....body work

The goal is S15 conversion, widebody rear, new rear bumper, side skirts, EVERYTHING shaved, B-pillar delete, and speedster top which will come at the end

Test fitting the new rear

Shaved trunk

Shaved and pillar-less doors

Stuff thrown on a little to see how it would look :)

The second portion is the interior...which will be one of a kind.
The first are the 2009 Maxima Sport seats; Black leather w/ red stitch. These are power, heated, full electric seats.....very comfy.

I don't have any more pictures, the new coupe door panels and rear panels also redone w/ matching black w/ red stitch, the dash is getting leather wrapped and also red stitched, the new G35 rear seats also re-stitched and fabricated to fit, along w/ new black carpet and floor mats. So the inside will be completely new. I have the center consol from donor Maxima and would like to find a way to make it fit to the newly wrapped dash...it has cup holders. :)

Last but not least, is the performance aspect of it all. I have just about all the stuff needed to make about 350rwhp as it sits, but after that stuff is installed I already have another KA motor that will be getting built for approx 800hp...hopefully. That's the goal. I'll post stuff up as I get more pictures...prolly tomorrow. Hope you enjoy so far, and if there's any imput...feel free!! This is still a build in progress and I have an open mind.

8 Oct edit:

Ok...had a little falling out w/ my friend where we were doing the body so had it towed to my shop to finish the work. Apparently it's ok to wait 6 months for a simple shave job...not in my book, so it's coming to work w/ me and I'm doing it all here between jobs. Woo Woo!!

On the truck coming from the body shop

At my shop

Core support in, but in the wrong place...more work ahead. Anyone have a Power Brace?

Everything in place, making new mounts for the fenders and bumper...alot of work but starting to look good.

With just about everything in blace body-wise

17 Oct Update

Windows and door hardware installed, body panels in place, and driving!!

Got the woman working on it!!

HID's in

22 Oct update!!

Got one of the seats in....so nice!!! They sit about almost 2 inches higher than the stock seats, but luckily I'm only 5'6", so it's fine for me. Power and heated seats....so nice!!

Got the Coil-overs in too...lookin so mean. I need a lower profile tire in the back...sits like a high-heel shoe. You can kinda see the turbo setup that's in too which I can't believe I don't have pictures of yet for some reason. I'll get some more tomorrow.

Also put the 4.10 VLSD in tonight, but didn't get any pictures...will do that tomorrow too. I'll keep this thing updated as best I can.

28 Oct update

Got the Z32 brakes painted and on the car....woo woo!!

..and another one w/ it on the lift just because

4 Nov update:

Not much going on....been busy though. Had to do a boost leak check on the motor...wow!! That's a huge accomplishment when u never realize u need it. Ordered a new Greddy RS BOV and Tial wastegate this week. Hopefully something will come tomorrow. Haven' really done much else. Roasted the tires a bit. :)

The engine bay with everything attached but not really where it should be

Update 13 Dec

Haven't been on here in a while...got some more stuff done

Got the motor tuned for the most part and running pretty good. Ran a 13.74 @ 117 the other night, but had problems w/ the tranny slipping..err. I don't wanna go 5spd, but starting to run out of money on this thing to get a tranny rebuilt. We'll see I guess. Cleaned up the engine bay some more too.

Also primed the car...ish. Haven't done the jams and stuff yet...prolly this week if it warms up.

Playing w/ it after the tune

Some work on the floor board, adding the posts for the new seats. Lots of work!!

Started getting some of the interior done. I can't sew a button on a shirt, so my buddy is gonna help me w/ it. Got a few pieces done that look great. Gonna reupholster the back seats to match the fronts, complete w/ bolsters, harnesses and most important in Florida...the seat heat. Here you can see the side panels done and the boot I got from a member on here. Also the HP Evo's on there that are gonna get refinished...dunno if I'm gonna go w/ the metal finish or 2-tone black and grey. Opinions?

Just got the dash back!!! Woo Woo!! Check it out!! It needs to be left in the sun for a bit to get the smoothness, but otherwise it's gangster!!

12 Mar update
Pulled the motor for various reasons....have forged internals and head work to build w/ and basic engine overhaul, clean the engine bay up to shave it and do a wire tuck. Gonna spray the whole under-body clean w/ a pressure washer and degreaser, then paint. Not sure if I'm gonna just do Line-x, or actual paint/under coating. Suggestions?
Also pulled the entire interior out to start fitting pieces together in it when the door panels finally get done. I'll have pictures as things come through.

Also wanna get rid of the black hoses for some Samco types, try and get a good intake manifold and add a vacuum block to clean up all the lines. Already have the new full engine seal kit, Meagan mounts, forged rods and 8.8:1 pistons (Thanks Jon), Cometic head gasket, ARP head studs, Ferrea valvetrain, and a few other things I can't think of.
Last edited by ProdOfFL on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 11 times in total.

sci2000tech
Car: s13.5 RB20DET 'Vert

I like your style :cool:

Keep us posted...

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Welcome to the Vert section. Be sure to add and update the Registry.

ProdOfFL

biggie wrote:Welcome to the Vert section. Be sure to add and update the Registry.
I did when I first got the car. I've been on here a few times and done some buying from fellow members, and looked up alot of usefull members. I just bought a nice boot from somebody on here too.

s13beast
Car: 94 5-speed silvert s14 sr, 91 hatchback dd.

So you have two cars with s15 fronts?

cole d
Car: 93 S13 conv

Nice build, on the audio setup do get good bass out of the sparetire well enclosure?

ProdOfFL

s13beast wrote:So you have two cars with s15 fronts?
Yup...my S14.5 has the hand-laid Carbon/Kevlar front end my boy in CA made me a few years ago. That's the racecar now.

ProdOfFL

cole d wrote:Nice build, on the audio setup do get good bass out of the sparetire well enclosure?
It works the best out of everything I've tried, but I'm gonna try doing a raised floor this time and make it tall enough to port through the backseat. The new custom backseat has a center folding armrest to pull down and let some bass in, and I know the speedster top will def help. The part that sux about the vert is all the bass escapes out the bag and surrounding area before it gets through the backseat. I tried building a tunnel to go under the bag into the backseats, but couldn't get enough space for it all to work smoothly. So far it's 0:3...me loosing.

sololock
Car: 91 240sx coupe

where did you get your new top and that tinted rear window

cole d
Car: 93 S13 conv

I just ordered one off ebay you have to ask and pay $50 extra for the tinted window http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-2 ... ccessories

ProdOfFL

Pretty much....I got it off ebay and didn't get it tinted when I asked for it...so the company said they would exchange it for some additional amount. Sent it to CA, and it wemt to three different locations and addresses before UPS finally gave up and swnt it back to me. So I had my interior guy put a window out of boat material which is a bit darker than avail through any of the companies selling the tops. He did a good job, and now I'm happy it's all over.

metz1466
Car: 1992 240sx convertible

hey man I am in miami and am working on my 92 240sx convertible can you call me so I can get the place you did your back window. also how did you fix the weather strips on the top??? did you get new ones

ProdOfFL wrote:Pretty much....I got it off ebay and didn't get it tinted when I asked for it...so the company said they would exchange it for some additional amount. Sent it to CA, and it wemt to three different locations and addresses before UPS finally gave up and swnt it back to me. So I had my interior guy put a window out of boat material which is a bit darker than avail through any of the companies selling the tops. He did a good job, and now I'm happy it's all over.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Great build thread! Thanks for sharing with us.

I love the Z wheels on that car.. looks great!

metz1466
Car: 1992 240sx convertible

ok thanks will call you tomorrow

ProdOfFL

Thanks everyone...I have new pictures I'll be posting up tonight or tomorrow of the progress.

uber240times2
Car: 1989 240sx hatch
2003 350z

I want to see this dashboard of yours quite badly haha.

ProdOfFL

Updated main thread

ProdOfFL

More basic stuff added and now driving

sci2000tech

Keep up the good work :bigthumb:

What color are you going to paint it?

ProdOfFL

Either all black or 2 tone pearl white w/ black at the body-line and up.

sci2000tech

I would do all black, maybe even a metallic black. Not sure how I feel about 2 tone with the s15 front.

Either way, can't wait to see it finished.

ProdOfFL

updated

ProdOfFL

Updated and added a video....sorry for the swearing. :)

ProdOfFL

More additions...which wheel should I go w/? Two tone black w/ grey, or the machined look?

Amays U G37S
Car: shoes

I would super black the whole car... Then make the interior another color. Would look amazing!!!! Like white, or tan, or something

Nice Vid :bigthumb:

ProdOfFL

Def going w/ the matte finish all over, still not sure of the interior....I may do red leather inserts for the portion where the seat heaters and A/C are. The guy is a good friend of mine and we do favors for eachother.

NismoRTuneS13
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx SE

Nice work! its good to see more coupes/verts with s15 fronts!

ProdOfFL

I love the strawberry face!!
Also....blew the transmission the other day, so now I'm getting a built one through AAA Hiperformance Auto in TX. This one will take 700rwhp, so it should work. Anybody know of anyone else besides them and Level 10?

ProdOfFL

uber240times2 wrote:I want to see this dashboard of yours quite badly haha.

See the dash?

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”