Some tech questions about the Rogue.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
MC Wack

Hello, I'm interested in getting a Rogue but I have some questions which I'm hoping you guys can answer:

1: Does this engine have a timing belt or chain?

2: What kind of maintenance does the CVT transmission require over time? Does it need for example fluid drain & flushes?

3: Is the engine bay mechanic friendly? Like is there lots of room to work on it?

thanks all!

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Welcome to the Rogue forums MC.

It's nice to see some tech. questions, as others will certainly start asking similar questions very soon.
MC Wack wrote:Hello, I'm interested in getting a Rogue but I have some questions which I'm hoping you guys can answer:

1: Does this engine have a timing belt or chain?

2: What kind of maintenance does the CVT transmission require over time? Does it need for example fluid drain & flushes?

3: Is the engine bay mechanic friendly? Like is there lots of room to work on it?

thanks all!
1.) The QR has always had a chain. 2.) The best info I could give you on the CVT would be to direct you to the Murano FSM that we host on NICO. It will have a full section on the CVT. The info should be basically identical to the Rogue. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/mu...urano/3.) Here's a pic of the engine bay. It looks very cluttered at first glance, but once you isolate all the air intake tubing, the battery, and some other easily removable items.. it should be fairly easy to work on. As easy as any other FWD engine layout at least.. My only beef is that the intake and injectors are on the firewall side of the engine.. I would have designed the engine to sit opposite so that the intake and injectors were in the front of the bay.. But I'm no expert, so I'm sure they had good reason to lay it out in the fashion it is.

MC Wack

Welcome to the Rogue forums MC.

It's nice to see some tech. questions, as others will certainly start asking similar questions very soon.

2.) The best info I could give you on the CVT would be to direct you to the Murano FSM that we host on NICO. It will have a full section on the CVT. The info should be basically identical to the Rogue. [/quote]Thanks! I did check out the pdf file on the CVT. It mentions the fluid that is required but no mention of what(or when) is needed for regular maintenance. The reason I asked about this is because a Jeep Patriot I test drove also had a Jatco CVT tranny. The Jeep dealer mentioned the CVT required no regular maintenance at all so I was kinda surprised and wasn't sure if he was pulling one over me.

Quote »My only beef is that the intake and injectors are on the firewall side of the engine.. I would have designed the engine to sit opposite so that the intake and injectors were in the front of the bay.. But I'm no expert, so I'm sure they had good reason to lay it out in the fashion it is. [/quote]It's either because of the Inline-4 engine or Nissan decided to make it as unfriendly to the DIY'er as possible to ensure service would be done at their "stealerships". I'm a basic DIY'er (oil, filter, spark plugs) so this isn't that much of a big deal but I know mechanics that would charge more if they needed to spend more time getting around a crowded engine bay.

Two more tech questions for you all:

Anyone know how the rear spoiler attaches to the Rogue? I see this available on Ebay but if it's the type where you stick it on with adhesives then I'll pass.

Fog lights. I'm interested in the S AWD but it doesn't come with fog lights nor is it available as an option. Do you think it can be added easily to the S without much hassle?

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

MC Wack wrote:Thanks! I did check out the pdf file on the CVT. It mentions the fluid that is required but no mention of what(or when) is needed for regular maintenance. The reason I asked about this is because a Jeep Patriot I test drove also had a Jatco CVT tranny. The Jeep dealer mentioned the CVT required no regular maintenance at all so I was kinda surprised and wasn't sure if he was pulling one over me.

It's either because of the Inline-4 engine or Nissan decided to make it as unfriendly to the DIY'er as possible to ensure service would be done at their "stealerships". I'm a basic DIY'er (oil, filter, spark plugs) so this isn't that much of a big deal but I know mechanics that would charge more if they needed to spend more time getting around a crowded engine bay.

Two more tech questions for you all:

Anyone know how the rear spoiler attaches to the Rogue? I see this available on Ebay but if it's the type where you stick it on with adhesives then I'll pass.

Fog lights. I'm interested in the S AWD but it doesn't come with fog lights nor is it available as an option. Do you think it can be added easily to the S without much hassle?
The service manual says every 60,000 miles to do a full flush. But, since CVT NS-2 fluid is 19.90/qt. (somewhere around that price) and since we don't have a full-flush machine like we do for the Matic-D fluid (yet), we do them on an as-requested or as-sold basis. The shortest interval I've done a trans service for a CVT is 30,000 miles (customer beat up on the Murano) and I've had some over 60,000. It depends on how you drive the car.

I'm relatively certain that you CANNOT add fog lights to the S. The reason I say that is because Nissan is making add-on foglight packages rare on the '07+ cars. It isn't like the '02-'06 Altima where you can buy the kit and the car is prewired, almost like you can't get satellite radio on a car that isn't pre-wired from the factory.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

nissantech06 wrote:
The service manual says every 60,000 miles to do a full flush. But, since CVT NS-2 fluid is 19.90/qt. (somewhere around that price) and since we don't have a full-flush machine like we do for the Matic-D fluid (yet), we do them on an as-requested or as-sold basis. The shortest interval I've done a trans service for a CVT is 30,000 miles (customer beat up on the Murano) and I've had some over 60,000. It depends on how you drive the car.

I'm relatively certain that you CANNOT add fog lights to the S. The reason I say that is because Nissan is making add-on foglight packages rare on the '07+ cars. It isn't like the '02-'06 Altima where you can buy the kit and the car is prewired, almost like you can't get satellite radio on a car that isn't pre-wired from the factory.
Thanks for all the info on this and other posts!

MC Wack

nissantech06 wrote:The service manual says every 60,000 miles to do a full flush. But, since CVT NS-2 fluid is 19.90/qt. (somewhere around that price) and since we don't have a full-flush machine like we do for the Matic-D fluid (yet), we do them on an as-requested or as-sold basis.
Thanks for the info. What's disappointing is my local Nissan dealer told me the CVT in the Rogue required no maintenance at all and he specifically mentioned fluid changes. I'd rather take your word over a dealer. It's too bad these salespeople can't get their facts straight and would tell you things that would help sell the car.

Quote »I'm relatively certain that you CANNOT add fog lights to the S. The reason I say that is because Nissan is making add-on foglight packages rare on the '07+ cars. It isn't like the '02-'06 Altima where you can buy the kit and the car is prewired, almost like you can't get satellite radio on a car that isn't pre-wired from the factory.[/quote]Very disappointed in Nissan for this decision. I'm fine with the S AWD packaged but they force you to go towards an SL trim and special packaging in order to get fog lights. Other manufactures wouldn't hesitate in offering options for all trim levels and provides the dealers the opportunity for reaping in extra cash.

computerguy
Car: 2005 350Z Roadster/2021 ROGUE Platinum AWD

Don't know where this info comes from my Service manual shows only fluid inspections up to the 96,000 mile mark says nothing about changes.

nissantech06

MC Wack wrote:Thanks for the info. What's disappointing is my local Nissan dealer told me the CVT in the Rogue required no maintenance at all and he specifically mentioned fluid changes. I'd rather take your word over a dealer. It's too bad these salespeople can't get their facts straight and would tell you things that would help sell the car.

Very disappointed in Nissan for this decision. I'm fine with the S AWD packaged but they force you to go towards an SL trim and special packaging in order to get fog lights. Other manufactures wouldn't hesitate in offering options for all trim levels and provides the dealers the opportunity for reaping in extra cash.
Who told you? A sales guy? Most of them don't know their head from a hole in the wall.

The CVT fluid is like any other fluid, it gets dirty, it collects particles. Change it like you would a normal trans fluid, but the interval is different.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Thanks for the info nissantech.. great to have an expert on board!

I wanted to make one comment about the fog lights issue. As long as their are holes in the front bumper for fog lights.. you can install fog lights. You just can't get them like that from the factory.

Of course, this perspective is coming from an old 240sx owner who has a Nissan Skyline engine installed.. Trust me.. wiring in some fog lights is not a difficult task to undertake.

nissantech06

Eikon wrote:Thanks for the info nissantech.. great to have an expert on board!

I wanted to make one comment about the fog lights issue. As long as their are holes in the front bumper for fog lights.. you can install fog lights. You just can't get them like that from the factory.

Of course, this perspective is coming from an old 240sx owner who has a Nissan Skyline engine installed.. Trust me.. wiring in some fog lights is not a difficult task to undertake.
NICE. You're right, it shouldn't be hard to wire, but like I said, I don't know if it's plug and play like most accessories.
Modified by nissantech06 at 10:51 PM 10/16/2007

MC Wack

nissantech06 wrote:Who told you? A sales guy? Most of them don't know their head from a hole in the wall.
LOL yeah it was a sales guy.
Eikon wrote:I wanted to make one comment about the fog lights issue. As long as their are holes in the front bumper for fog lights.. you can install fog lights. You just can't get them like that from the factory.
A dealer I talked to stated the S models would have black plastic inserts in place of where the fog lights would normally be situated.

I hope an official shop manual would pop up here one day so it could help the DIY'ers here.

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

I spotted these on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

nissantech06

websfear wrote:I spotted these on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V
Those aren't factory accessories, they are knock-offs that require you doing your own wiring.

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Anyone want to know about Rogue QR25DE engine, this is the site to visit.

NICO Articles

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

tikus wrote:Anyone want to know about Rogue QR25DE engine, this is the site to visit.

http://NICO Articles
Great find, I think this might deserve a sticky.

tw34k
Car: 2007 350Z Enthusiast - Solar Orange***2008 Rogue SL-FWD ( NOT Rouge ) First Rogue Sold in Tacoma /

The spoiler is NOT held on by tape.....There are 4 bolts that attach it to the rear hatch. That means 4 holes that need to be driled into the top of the hatch. I bought a spoiler and contimplated installing it myself, but didnt trust me to do it. There was a note in the instructions to use a rust preventative on the drilled holes or there WILL be red rust and streaking. I decided to let the dealer instal it for me.

The spoiler did come with a detailed set of instructions and a template to layout for driling...if that helps you out at all.

And BTW....It sure does look smart after install...I love my spoiler.

philipa_240sx

A few notes about the QR25DE and service. Besides oil changes, air & oil filters, and the sepentine drive belt I have never touched the engine in my '03 Alty for the past 127,000km (78,000mi). Probably the most difficult task was changing the sepentine belt, but even then I had it done in less than 30 min.Tune ups are not necessary due to the direct ignition system (read: no spark plug wires, points, rotor or distributor cap), and the platinum tipped spark plugs which have very long change intervals.

The newer generation QR25DE used in the Rogue is slightly different than the one shown on the link above:

Quote »The QR25 engine was refined for 2007 with a larger intake manifold, increased compression ratio (9.6:1 from 9.5:1) and reduced friction characteristics. It features a silent chain drive and a balancer system (with balancer changed to a center-mounted location for excellent NVH) that effectively negates vibrations without taking up much space – combining ideal packaging and smoothness.[/quote]Source: http://www.nissannews.com 2007 Altima overview

BTW for those interested in factory service manuals, check out the Nissan Publication website:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/

You can download original Owners Manuals for free. If you purchase an online viewing subscription, you can view the Factory Service Manuals, Technical Service Bulletins, etc. Costs are listed on the site. There are one day to one year subscription options.

Modified by philipa_240sx at 6:14 AM 2/2/2008

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

You can also access/download Service Manuals, Owners Manuals and TSBs here...

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums...s/317

One download per day for free.Also a subscription service is available.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I just read the details of the QR25DE emgine at this link and it was a really interesting read:

http://www.modified.com/tech/0104scc_tu ... index.html

I don't understand a lot of the design concepts and terminology, but they give you the "lamens" version, or the resulting implications from all of the unique design features. It's cool to own something that has so much high quality precision engineering and materials. I guess that's one reason I bought an import rather than American. If anyone is interested, check out this link!

You know what, I never even realized that that because this engine has direct ignition, there is no rotor, distributor cap, or spark plug wires. That is great to not have to worry about these for future maintenance visits.

philipa_240sx

Your link is not working. I'm not sure if you pasted it incorrectly.

Anyway, if it's the article I think it is it's quite old and outdated. The QR underwent several changes since and is now on it's 2nd generation:

- A simpler, larger diameter single path intake manifold replaced the old dual path design. Originally the old dual path system was allowed for more power across the rev range. On the downside there were issues with butterfly valve screws coming loose and the shorter (higher rpm) path was only used from 5000 to redline of 6000 rpm.- Compression ratio has been upped to 9.6:1 from 9.5:1- The balancer system has been moved back slightly from the crank pulley to a more central location in the block.- Revised cam timing- Reduced friction likely through Nissan's extensive use of coatings on pistons, bearing journals, etc.- Additional engine mount on the top of the motor, pulley side.

Add to the common feature between the 2 motors:

- Silent timing chain system that is virtually maintenence free- NDIS Nissan Direct Ignition System that eliminates spark plug wires and annual tune-ups.- Platinum tipped plugs good for over 160,000km or 100,000mi- CVVTCS Continuously variable valve timing- Drive-by-wire electronic throttle. The ECU reads the accelerator position via a sensor and then drives a motor to open/close the throttle.

My seat of the pant's comparison of the 1st and 2nd gen QR: The newer motor is quieter and smoother esp. at high rpm's. It fixed the biggest complaint from the 1st gen motor as many Altima and Sentra SE-R owners will attest to.

phoenixsuns12345
Car: nissan rogue 2008 (iridum graphite)

Just wondering if the Canadian Rogue 08 SL AWD is pre-wired for forg lights..bec i didn't get the SL package so it's not equipped with fog light switch.

If it,s pre-wired,what's the best fog light kit you can suggest that is legally accepatable in Alberta and also not to bright..( I thinl specs are 55W,H11 bulb)..I'm thinking of getting somewhere bet 3000-6000k.

Anyone who has it installed here in Alberta? How much(incl. installation) and whereabouts?

Thank you

philipa_240sx

I replied to your fog light thread. Read more there:

zer...wired

kerrton

Lots of good information in this thread regarding the Rogue engine and transmission - the formatting got messed up in the migration to the new site but I still didn't want this thread to get lost....

philipa_240sx

All fixed Kerrton. ;)

kerrton

Bump to a good thread regarding the Rogue QR25DE engine, this link is still a great read:

http://www.modified.com/tech/0104scc_tu ... index.html

Return to “Rogue Forum”