SOHC pistons in DOHC

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

when trying to achive 10.1 compression, i understand you need the sohc pistons. I have seen at nismoparts that there are 89.5mm and 90mm pistons available. Using the 90mm would have more compression, but what compression would you get for each? (what a cool cheaper mod)

MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

Not sure if you can just throw 90mm ones in there, but if you can, I bet it will increase the compression to 10.5:1 Do a search, and I started a thread a while ago talking about putting SOHC pistons in a DOHC car...i guess the 8.5:1 SOHC pistons make the compression ratio 11.1:1...pretty high. Just search "pistons"

MarkEmark

Yup, just search pistons, and on the third page theres a thread asking about installing KA24E pistons for increased compression...lengthy thread too. 8.6:1 pistons in a KA24DE yields 11.1:1, 9.1:1 yields 11.6:1 compression, which is the highest you should go on pump 93 gas

Ceptos
Car: 95 240sx

how much would something like this cost? it cant be all that cheap, can it, dont you have to take out the engine to replace the pistons? or at least be able to come at the pistons from above and below to replace them. unless you are doing it yourself, would this be exspensive?

R240NA

Ceptos wrote:how much would something like this cost? it cant be all that cheap, can it, dont you have to take out the engine to replace the pistons? or at least be able to come at the pistons from above and below to replace them. unless you are doing it yourself, would this be exspensive?

Expensive is a relative term. Since you're replacing pistons, you'd want to at least go through and check the crank and assembly, maybe replace the rod and main cap bearings. Depending on tolerances, maybe a light bore to get the clearance right in the cylinders. Other things will come in to play to push the price up, head gasket, etc, so it could get expensive, but much less than a full rebuild, or mild headwork. You would also want to a little tuning, maybe with an ECU upgrade, to compensate for the higher compression.

MarkEmark

Yes, I would really like to know the price of this if someone, who isn't as mechanically inclinde as others, went to a shop to have this done...on the 3 pages of the thread I started about pistons, not ONE quote was given...I'm guessing $500 to install...

Dattebayo

quote from markEmark, "i guess the 8.5:1 SOHC pistons make the compression ratio 11.1:1"

okay explain it to me. first of all, the compression is listed as 8.6:1, prolly just an oversite on your behalf. but what really gets me is that the new pistons (89.5 AND 90MM) are listed on the site as 9.1:1 for sohc. is the cylinder head just bigger on a sohc or is there another reason for this weird difference between sohc and dohc?

Dattebayo

oh and by the way, the pistons are only 38 bucks a piece, ring set 83 bucks and circlip (?) 83 also.

MarkEmark

Haha, I'm definitely not the person to explain to you WHY the SOHC pistons increase the compression, like I said, search for that old post, they might say something about it in there. The SOHC pistons were different than the DOHC pistons, so when you put the in a DOHC engine, it increases the compression....8.6 gives 11.1, 9.1 gives 11.6....Or, you could put a thinner head gasket in and increase the compression that way....You found the pistons to be only $38 a piece? Where?!?

Dattebayo

they are at http://www.nismoparts.com They have everything you'd ever need for your SOHC and a few DOHC oe parts. when you go to the site DONT CLICK ON NISSAN. just click "accessories" on the top right. just trust me, youll get lost if you do.

im a little afraid to use the 9.1:1 pistons offered on this site in my engine 'cause i got aftermarket cams...

MarkEmark

If you dont want the 11.6 compression, then go with the 8.6:1 SOHC pistons to get 11.1...I don't see why aftermarket cams would be a problem with higher compression pistons, rather,i think they'd work beautifuly with them...just ask Don at PDM what he thinks about high compression pistons + his PDM cams...He knows plenty about stuff like that...

Dattebayo

clearance issues my friend. valve to piston smash and stuff. also i have a 93 which is supposed to have like 9.5:1 compression so i might not get that 11.1:1 that i want (or even 11.6:1). one of these posts said it, so i dont know if it is true or not.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”