SOHC KA intake manifold write-up (work in progress)

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Import_Ant

First off the disclaimer: This is far from complete. I’ll try and get more detail as I have time but since I had already stripped everything from the intake manifold prior to doing this, I thought it would be easier to just stick to the parts I kept and are needed and keep the rest of the clutter/bs out of the picture. (thanks for setting the bar so high for write ups Fiz :-p) If there’s a part I didn’t cover, I didn’t keep it. I’ll dig some info out of the FSM if anyone wants a complete vacuum diagram and info on the components. I’ll keep up on this thread so if there are any questions or if I worded something in a way that doesn’t make sense let me know, I’ll try and work to evolve this until it is as comprehensive as Fiznat’s write-up for the DOHC intake plenum.

Here is a bird’s eye view of the intake manifold with wiring harness and fuel line/injectors removed. The EGR components are also missing.

Here is a rear shot of the engine. There are components missing from the rear of the head. You can see the actuator for the butterflies in the lower intake runners. This is the only thing I kept aside from the IAC system.

I would have liked to clear out all of the metal tubing from the lower plenum since I’m not using it. Unfortunately there are coolant lines that run through the throttle body and are linked to the bundle of tubes that run across the lower intake plenum. I’ve marked the coolant lines in green. These MUST be connected.

This coolant-line is bolted underneath the lower plenum. The blue lines run to the heater core and the green line goes to the upper intake plenum.

Here we have the upper intake plenum by itself. The blue lines are for the IAC (Idle Air Control system) the green lines are where the coolant hoses are run through the upper intake plenum (the green line in the previous picture is what runs to the lower nipple on the upper intake plenum shown here)

The lower intake plenum by itself. The green line is the coolant line running from the engine to the throttle body, the red line runs from the throttle body to the upper nipple marked green on the upper intake plenum in the previous picture.

The EGR runs across the back of the block. I removed the valve and my brother cut out a small piece of tin for me to cover the hole. I put a generous amount of McKanica around where I marked in red and bolted the plate over the hole. I had fun removing those two bolts with the motor in the car but it can be done. I used a ratcheting box-wrench to get them off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------There will be some nipples on the upper plenum left over. I used them to run lines to the fuel pressure regulator, actuator valve for the butterflies in the lower plenum (I T’d off of that line to run the ID line to my boost gauge) and the other line I ran to my BOV. I completely removed my charcoal canister and all of the vacuum lines running to it.

There we have it. The bare necessities you need to keep the motor running happy and boost-leak-free. I’ve been running like this for 3 months and have had no trouble except for a small boost leak in the actuator valve for the butterflies. I don’t have smog regulations in Kansas so I haven’t had it smog checked. Eliminating all of the components I did would probably not be the best idea for someone who has to pass a smog check.

jack-pot

Thnaks for the write-up. that was plenty good for what i need. but i was wondering if after you remove all the egr and other components, is it going to throw a Code 32? just windering? thanks and nice write-up!!

Import_Ant

Thanks for the kind words, I dont get a CEL on my car. I haven't tried to run codes on the computer but it hasnt given me any trouble whatsoever.

lucky03602
Car: 96 d21 *work in progress*
01 xj Cherokee auto 4.0 4 1/2" lift 32x11.5x15 family dd

looks like a good write up! im gonna try it my self on my mani hopefully everything goes good!!

wild_maxx
Car: 90 TT pearl yellow z32

holy dead thread! but i bet you found it by searching

Craving4Boost
Car: 91 240sx fastback

EDIT: didnt realize it was old haha
Modified by Craving4Boost at 5:53 PM 5/23/2006

lucky03602
Car: 96 d21 *work in progress*
01 xj Cherokee auto 4.0 4 1/2" lift 32x11.5x15 family dd

yeah i did find it by searchin, searching will get answers and just asking will get u flamed for not tryin...haha

but yeah i searched and im also gonna search about takin off the aiv and egr (if i remember right the egr is part of aiv lol)

hopefully having this thread bumped up will either a) get more info on the intake mani teardown or b)get someone to give me a link with everything labeled and stuff to take off

(nothing personal against import_ant its a very good write up but some parts of it make me scratch my head)

vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

good sohc tutorial

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

vancouverbc wrote:good sohc tutorial
Dude...you don't bump a thread from 05 just to say it was good.

Warped161
Car: 90 s13 the never ending project

Nice writeup, i did the same to mine but i dropped the secondary butterfly's.

mick
Car: 1990 240SX

Why aren't the threads closed when they age? Why don't people like it when posting to old threads?

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

mick wrote:Why aren't the threads closed when they age? Why don't people like it when posting to old threads?
When they get archived they become harder for the search function to find.

I don't mind anyone posting in old threads. But I'd prefer that their be some substance to the post. A question perhaps, maybe some differing opinion on the methods used etc. But a 3 word post isn't on par with what I consider substance. It's more of a post whoring kinda thing. I'm not saying that's the case here, however, we have had issues with people just replying in old threads to up their post count or reach a certain number of posts in order to post in the classifieds section.

Regardless, it's frowned upon.

WD

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”