So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Tofubadguy
Car: 94' R32 GTR, Track Car
90' Silvia, w/ RB25, Track Car
90' 240 AWD LHD Coupe, RB26, in the works
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

AZhitman wrote:
Tofubadguy wrote:So which is it? Swapping subframes is a subject near and dear to my heart! ;)
How do ya feel about helping a brotha swap S13 F/R subframes onto a 620 pickup frame? :)
Sounds like a great idea! Just need a decent shop/space to work in. Hmmm, where could we find such a place? ;)

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

cdn_bmxer wrote:I saw this also on Sean's Blog. Very confusing/interesting .

I have a possible theory. Maybe it can be "Busted" by someone who knows better than I .

In Japan the cars VIN plate does not show the month/year of production , this is only on the Japanese registration . So when someone imports a car in from Japan it clearly states on the de-registration papers the first month/year of production .

Now if the car is already registered in Canada it no longer states the month of first registration in Japan on its Title/Registration paperwork only the year of the car.

So unless the Custom officer checks with Nissan on the month of production there is no information on the Car or Paperwork stating exact month of production ,only the year.

This is only a Theory on my part based on the VIN plate info on my 89 , my Canadian registration ( British Columbia ) & all the paperwork I have kept since importing it from Japan.

If this is the case , you will be able to import cars that are already registered somewhere in Canada earlier than getting one out of Japan.
It doesn't seem like this question has been answered directly so I'll give it a go. First off, Trevor managed to sneak his through in all honesty. The CBP agent(s) that cleared his vehicle should have asked for and been given proof of the year and month of manufacture for his GT-R. The fact that he was the first at that border checkpoint to drive an R32 into the US using the 25-year-exemption rules is the chief reason he was able to do it. By now, CBP across the US has wisened up to this so do not try sneaking one through early. CBP is now currently requiring importers to prove the month and year of manufacture via a Japanese export/dereg certificate or a letter from a certified source such as a dealership, the manufacturer or similar recognized source.

MrMagikSack
Car: '98 Toyota Altezza
Prospective - '91 Nissan Skyline GTS-t

Ok, so a little background. I'm military stationed in Japan. I am in the process of finalizing a deal for a super clean '91 GTS-t. Looking into things, since I have a vehicle in long term storage back in the states, the military won't ship a vehicle back to the states when my time is done here. So it looks like I will be coming out of pocket to bring this sexy lady back.

Reading through the thread the one thing I really picked up without a legit RI, it's a very real possibility to lose your vehicle to customs. Does anyone have any experience importing a Skyline under the 25 year rule? When I come back to the states the car will be over 25. I plan to bring the car into Florida since that is my home of record. Can anyone recommend a good RI that handles the process from start to finish?

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

MrMagikSack wrote:Ok, so a little background. I'm military stationed in Japan. I am in the process of finalizing a deal for a super clean '91 GTS-t. Looking into things, since I have a vehicle in long term storage back in the states, the military won't ship a vehicle back to the states when my time is done here. So it looks like I will be coming out of pocket to bring this sexy lady back.

Reading through the thread the one thing I really picked up without a legit RI, it's a very real possibility to lose your vehicle to customs. Does anyone have any experience importing a Skyline under the 25 year rule? When I come back to the states the car will be over 25. I plan to bring the car into Florida since that is my home of record. Can anyone recommend a good RI that handles the process from start to finish?
If the car will be over 25 by the time you come back you don't really need an RI, just a broker or importer to handle the paperwork for you. A couple you can try are International Vehicle Importers - I got my Nismo R32 from them:

http://www.importavehicle.com/

On the East Coast I've heard good things about Japanese Classics but haven't dealt with them personally:

http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/

There's also RightDrive USA. I've bought parts from their Canadian division RightDriveParts but their USA division handles car importation to the States.

http://www.rightdriveusa.com/

MrMagikSack
Car: '98 Toyota Altezza
Prospective - '91 Nissan Skyline GTS-t

So, being over 25 makes it easier then?

So I'm doing some digging into the car, and I've run into a potential snag? The shop selling the car says on the paperwork it's a 1991 (I plan to visually verify this on Friday). The chassis number on the car is HCR32-076895. As far as I can tell that chassis number falls in the 1990 range. If the paperwork reads 1991, could this cause me issues when I try to bring this back? Or are Japanese cars similar to US in that, a '91 model is manufactured and sold in 1990?

If anybody has the FAST software and can verify manufacture date based on the chassis number I'd be forever grateful!

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

MrMagikSack wrote:So, being over 25 makes it easier then?

So I'm doing some digging into the car, and I've run into a potential snag? The shop selling the car says on the paperwork it's a 1991 (I plan to visually verify this on Friday). The chassis number on the car is HCR32-076895. As far as I can tell that chassis number falls in the 1990 range. If the paperwork reads 1991, could this cause me issues when I try to bring this back? Or are Japanese cars similar to US in that, a '91 model is manufactured and sold in 1990?

If anybody has the FAST software and can verify manufacture date based on the chassis number I'd be forever grateful!
Waiting until the car is 25 years old is really the only way you're getting it in. The only way to bring in a car newer than that is either by 1) show or display status for historically significant and rare vehicles which a GTS-T Skyline is not (My Nismo GT-R got in that way but it's 25 years old now so it's a moot point) or 2) by an RI modifying it to conform to NHTSA standards which will involve a crapton of money. The R32s that are being brought in currently are all 25 years old for those reasons. I suggest you read those blog articles of mine that I posted because they go into a lot more detail.

As for the 1990 versus 1991 thing, JDM cars aren't like US cars where the model year is ahead of the year of manufacture. With a Skyline, the year of manufacture is the model year and for importation purposes the Feds will go by either the manufacturing date or the date of first registration depending on what paperwork you have. Also, importation requires it to be 25 years to the month so an August 1990 car will be eligible in August 2015 - no earlier. Usually they will go by the date listed on the car's export certificate but since your car hasn't reached that stage yet you need to verify what paperwork the shop has that says it's a 1991. If this were a GT-R I could tell you if the serial number makes it a 1990 or 1991 but I don't know that info for a GTS-T and I don't have access to FAST. Even then you'll have to have supporting documentation to show the Feds when it arrives here that specifies the build date or date of first registration which like I said will most likely be your export certificate so you need to do the research and get that sorted now before that time comes - or really even buying the car, since a lack of appropriate documentation could totally screw you when importing it. There are other things to consider too so reading my primer would be a good start.

bparker
Car: R34 Skyline (for sale!)

Hi MrMagikSack,

The VIN you gave is a 1990 model; the build year is used as the model year in Japan. Here is what FAST says:

PunkMaster
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline R32

Hey all, I live in Alabama here in the the U.S. and I recently purchased a 1990 Nissan Skyline R32 from Canada. I documented the process and plan on making a youtube video to show everyone how easy it is. Here ill list how you can do it as well!
1) You will need a "Bill of Sale", and the vehicle "Title"

2) Customs and Border was super nice and have a pretty easy process for all this. I recommend still bringing your own forms. These forms are:
CBP: 7501 (Customs Form)
EPA Form 3520-1
HS7 (Department of Transportation)
The Vehicle's Title
IMPORTANT: Use this site to get the MONTH of manufacture, they need the month. just in case print the site out showing it.
http://www.autotraderjapan.com/index.ph ... coder.html

3) Insurance - So I tried to use Hagerty insurance, and they are useless scum... I'll explain.. So you need to be 25 to have a policy with them (not a problem in my case), and you need to send them pictures, fill out an application, and send them all the forms in section two(2). There is a caviat though. If you drive across, customs will not give you a CBP form 3461, which Hagerty needs no matter what. The 3461 is literally a packing sheet that is used for shipping containers and vehicle transport trucks. They literally will not use logic and need that form.
TL;DR If you use Hagerty, get the CBP form 3461 from Customs no matter what.
I was able to use USAA auto insurance, and they partner with American Classics specialty insurance.. use them if you can.

4) Registration - In Alabama, it was super easy, there is no emissions or safety inspections, so i just needed to show them all the EPA, DoT, CBP, Bill of Sale, and Title to get it registered.

5) Profit

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, i want to help people get their dream car too!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

PunkMaster wrote: 3) Insurance - So I tried to use Hagerty insurance, and they are useless scum...
Wow. Pretty harsh words just because they asked you to follow a simple rule - Your issue is with Customs.

They're actually a phenomenal company and take great care of thousands and thousands of collector car owners. No reason to bash just because you couldn't provide the appropriate documentation.

With that being said, the importation process is much simpler now that most state DMV's have been through the process a few times. I've brought in two cars from overseas with no hassle whatsoever, and have helped a few other people with the process.

Welcome aboard!

p.s. Have you started a thread with pics for your new ride?

JDMEXPO-NY
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR

PunkMaster wrote: 2) Customs and Border was super nice and have a pretty easy process for all this. I recommend still bringing your own forms. These forms are:
CBP: 7501 (Customs Form)
EPA Form 3520-1
HS7 (Department of Transportation)
The Vehicle's Title
IMPORTANT: Use this site to get the MONTH of manufacture, they need the month. just in case print the site out showing it.
http://www.autotraderjapan.com/index.ph ... coder.html

3) Insurance - So I tried to use Hagerty insurance, and they are useless scum... I'll explain.. So you need to be 25 to have a policy with them (not a problem in my case), and you need to send them pictures, fill out an application, and send them all the forms in section two(2). There is a caviat though. If you drive across, customs will not give you a CBP form 3461, which Hagerty needs no matter what. The 3461 is literally a packing sheet that is used for shipping containers and vehicle transport trucks. They literally will not use logic and need that form.
TL;DR If you use Hagerty, get the CBP form 3461 from Customs no matter what.
I was able to use USAA auto insurance, and they partner with American Classics specialty insurance.. use them if you can.
Couple comments, as I have done this a few times as well. First, regarding looking up the month/year of build, I always like this site: http://nissan.epc-data.com/ It's also very easy to remember, so a Customs officer can pull it up and verify for himself.

You're partially right on the 3461. It's a called an Entry Form and you get if you ship something into a port but it is not "literally a packing sheet" and is used for all imports going through a shipping port. I get my shipments RORO (roll on, roll off) and I get one, along with the 7501. I haven't gotten it for Canadian imports because they don't go through a port. You need either an original, stamped 7501 or 3461 for most DMVs.

For insurance, I used Liberty Mutual as I insure everything through them. I could give them a stated value of the car, got full coverage (plus glass, those suckers lol!) and pay about $50/mo.

rudenate
Car: R32 GT-R

I used USAA as well. They looked up the original sale price of 1989 R32 GT-Rs (and found it was around $32k I guess). It was really easy.

JDMEXPO-NY
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR

Yeah, those that are in the military have it lucky when it comes to imports. Super easy financing through Navy FCCU and awesome insurance through USAA.

Be careful with what value they use though. A 26yr old car that was $32k when new probably has an insurance value of next to nothing. You may want to check with them what they have the insured value of the car as.

Thefloatplace
Car: 91 gts4

Hey all...i am importing a 91 gts4 from Canada as we speak, and to verify the jan 91 build date, i wanted to get the most official paperwork i could. I stumbled across a website called japaninspection and ordered a duplicate copy of the cars original de-registration paperwork. Car had been in canada for a while, so the original paperwork is mia. I ordered it yesterday, and it says it ships within 5 days via FedEx. Traslation of the paperwork is also included in the price. When i get everything ill let you guys know how it looks. Maybe it can help someone down the road.

roflmywaffle
Car: 1989 R32 GTR

JDMEXPO-NY wrote:Yeah, those that are in the military have it lucky when it comes to imports. Super easy financing through Navy FCCU and awesome insurance through USAA.

Be careful with what value they use though. A 26yr old car that was $32k when new probably has an insurance value of next to nothing. You may want to check with them what they have the insured value of the car as.
Yeah, USAA won't insure my 89 GTR for s***. That being said, they definitely want several hundred dollars a month for it. Been shopping around for insurance, but the Baltimore/DC area is pricey regardless of who you go with.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Also, don't forget about Hagerty. I have a bunch of cars insured with them, and they've been great to us.

The R32 is considered a collectible, and as long as you own a DD as well, there should be no issue covering it for stated value.

Kakashi_904

Hey guys. I'm new on the forum and I just wanted to say thanks for all the proper info.
Cheers! :wavey:

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Welcome to NICO Club Kakashi_904!

Crysis
Car: nissan skyline gtr r33

is there anyway you can install an aux cord into a skyline and does it come with a cd player because im trying to play music from my iphone

AZhitman
Administrator

The process for that should be the same as the process for any Nissan of that generation.

I'd suggest starting a new thread, since this one is about importation. :)

Welcome aboard!

bmw325_num99

Has anyone legally imported a MODIFIED 1991 Skyline GTS by driving it across the border from Canada? I found an R32 in Alberta with the mods listed below. As we all know by this point, modified cars are not legal to be imported due to EPA laws also found below.

My question: in your experiences, how closely do the border patrol agents look at/care about the modifications? Did they pop the hood or look underneath the car or did they barely look at it other than, say, the VIN? Just trying to gauge the liklihood I would be able to import this car versus being stuck with it on the wrong side of the border.

"There are three types of exemptions for non-U.S. version vehicles by an individual.
Below is a description of each type of exemption along with the requirements you will need
when importing your vehicle and the restrictions that will apply to your vehicle.
(a) Exemption for Non-U.S. Version Vehicles 21 Years Old or Older
The vehicle is 21 OP years old or older and in original unmodified configuration.
Requirements:
● Importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "E."
● Customs may require proof of vehicle age.
● "OP Years" are determined by subtracting the year a vehicle was manufactured from the
year it was imported.
Restrictions:
The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration.
● Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption
unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control
systems."

ECU
Larger Intercooler
Not stock but NIssan intake manifold
Larger non-OEM and non-matching wheels
Boost controller
Cone Air Filter
Turbo Piping
Intercooler piping
Downpipe
Muffler
Coilovers
Strut bars
LSD
GTR bodywork

etc. etc.

AZhitman
Administrator

Not sure why you'd even chance it.

Even if every response is, "Eh, they don't look" and you go through on the ONE day that someone decides to look, then what?

Trying to bypass using an RI is simply asking for hassles.

jameslloyd285
Car: Nissan GTR 2018

bmw325_num99 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 am
Has anyone legally imported a MODIFIED 1991 Skyline GTS by driving it across the border from Canada? I found an R32 in Alberta with the mods listed below. As we all know by this point, modified cars are not legal to be imported due to EPA laws also found below.

My question: in your experiences, how closely do the border patrol agents look at/care about the modifications? Did they pop the hood or look underneath the car or did they barely look at it other than, say, the VIN? Just trying to gauge the liklihood I would be able to import this car versus being stuck with it on the wrong side of the border.

"There are three types of exemptions for non-U.S. version vehicles by an individual.
Below is a description of each type of exemption along with the requirements you will need
when importing your vehicle and the restrictions that will apply to your vehicle.
(a) Exemption for Non-U.S. Version Vehicles 21 Years Old or Older
The vehicle is 21 OP years old or older and in original unmodified configuration.
Requirements:
● Importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "E."
● Customs may require proof of vehicle age.
● "OP Years" are determined by subtracting the year a vehicle was manufactured from the
year it was imported.
Restrictions:
The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration.
● Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption
unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control
systems."

ECU
Larger Intercooler
Not stock but NIssan intake manifold
Larger non-OEM and non-matching wheels
Boost controller
Cone Air Filter
Turbo Piping
Intercooler piping
Downpipe
Muffler
Coilovers
Strut bars
LSD
GTR bodywork

etc. etc.
What do you risk by trying? Will they confiscate your car?

AZhitman
Administrator

You first.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”