So I want to buy a Skyline......

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
ZedHead
Car: 03 Track

"Flame suit on"

Yes I know, they are illegal, and no I don't think I'm above the law. Please hear me out and give me helpful opinions (If possible)

Its a 96' GTS25T Type M. Its an air bag car.
It's on the list http://stnw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig092210.pdf as an importable car.
I've driven the car, its here. The car is currently registered and the state has issued the title, its in the mail. No smog state.
My insurance company will insure the car.

Everything seems to check out. If I've got a car that's on the list of allowable cars, I've got a state issued title and its registered in the state with no smog requirements. Can the car still be taken? Is everyone going to tell me Feds trump states? Didnt the Feds issue that list?

I'm not trying to state a case. I'm just looking for opinions and possible outcomes, best and worst.

Thank you

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Talk to a registered importer. It might be allowable if it is run through the process that it should have been back when it arrived, but I really doubt you can pull it off. Good luck at any rate.

tyndago

If you can afford to burn the money, then go ahead.

If you can't then just send it to me for the advice.

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

ZedHead wrote:"Flame suit on"

Yes I know, they are illegal, and no I don't think I'm above the law. Please hear me out and give me helpful opinions (If possible)

Its a 96' GTS25T Type M. Its an air bag car.
It's on the list http://stnw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig092210.pdf as an importable car.
I've driven the car, its here. The car is currently registered and the state has issued the title, its in the mail. No smog state.
My insurance company will insure the car.

Everything seems to check out. If I've got a car that's on the list of allowable cars, I've got a state issued title and its registered in the state with no smog requirements. Can the car still be taken? Is everyone going to tell me Feds trump states? Didnt the Feds issue that list?

I'm not trying to state a case. I'm just looking for opinions and possible outcomes, best and worst.

Thank you
Yes, they can take it. Sean can correct me if I'm wrong but the issue is that you haven't had government approve the car yet. By that I mean, your Skyline hasn't been identified by the US government to be in compliance with all FMVSS. As suggested talk to a R.I. (i.e. J.K. Technologies), pay around $35k, and drive away in a totally legal R33.

Congrats and good luck.

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

Did you ever buy this Skyline?

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”