Smelling some oil burning in the maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
BOBCAT
Car: 2000 Maxima, 94 SER

There is an oil smell from my car when I hammer on the gas. I don’t hammer on the gas often but when I do I get that smell. Now, Maxhopper97 said when he looked at my car, that there was an oil leak around the bell housing but it wasn’t a bad one.

If I hammer on the gas is there any reason why there would be more oil coming out of the bell housing than normal or does anyone think I have a leak in a seal.__________________
Modified by BOBCAT at 7:39 AM 3/28/2008

Darktide

some quick facts. The oil pump works off of engine speed. Therefore an increase in engine speed will result in an increase in oil pump speed. When the oil pump increases output you'll get more pressure and more volume. So if you do have a leaking seal it will most definitely get more oil coming out of the leak.

Good luck

BOBCAT
Car: 2000 Maxima, 94 SER

Thanks. I looked this morning at the driveway to see if there was any dripedge and there wasnt a trace of oil. Thank god. I think i will be fine.

wilkink
Car: 2004 Maxima, 6 speed

On my '95 Maxima with a 5 speed, I had the same symptom....really bad smell of oil when doing any "spirited driving". Since the car wasn't using oil, I'd figure it could wait until the clutch went, or was contaminated with the oil. Well the clutch never went, but at 150,000 the transmission bearings did. When they pulled the transmission, they said it was the rear main engine seal with a "small" leak. That small leak really stunk bad.

nismopu
Car: 1987 Nissan 300ZX
1997 Nissan Maxima
1976 Datsun 280Z Turbo

mine smelled like this too when I spiritedly drove the vehicle or on really HOT days. It turned out to be valve cover seals and it took me about 2 hours to do but it foxed the smell. Check and see if its wet around them, most likely the firewall side. peace.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”