Slip / TCS Off Relays

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Q45Owner
Car: Infiniti Q45

Hi guys,

So when I bought my Q a year ago, the dealer that sold it to me thought he was being really slick by removing the light bulbs behind the Slip/TCS Off indicator lights on the gauge cluster. Little did he know I already knew all about this common problem as I had already been on here reading this and that for months and basically called him out on it. Regardless, It wasn't a big deal and I got my Q for an excellent price, so I didn't complain much about it.

Anyway, I finally got around to ordering the (2) blue relays underneath the battery and they arrived today. Having replaced my battery a few days ago, I located the relays underneath the battery plate like I had read about. My question is what is the best way to remove them? It looks as if they just snap in but there's a metal guard that seems to be holding them in place. Can anyone give me any tips on the easiest way to do this?

Here's a pic for reference:

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Looking at the picture and having done this myself I would push down on the relays to get them loose. Use a screwdriver carefully to pry away the metal tab. Or undo the 10MM bolt securing them and that might make it easier.

How do you know the dealer removed the bulbs? Would'nt you realize there was an issue when the bulbs wouldn't light up at all and the rear wheels kept spinning?

Q45Owner

Infinitiguy19 wrote:Looking at the picture and having done this myself I would push down on the relays to get them loose. Use a screwdriver carefully to pry away the metal tab. Or undo the 10MM bolt securing them and that might make it easier.
Thanks, yea i figured out that you just have to push them down and then they come right out. Mine were stuck a bit, but I eventually got them out.
Infinitiguy19 wrote: How do you know the dealer removed the bulbs? Would'nt you realize there was an issue when the bulbs wouldn't light up at all and the rear wheels kept spinning?
I did realize it. I knew the dealer removed the bulbs because in the pictures I saw online prior to going down and test driving it showed the gauge cluster with the TCS Off & Slip lights on. Then when I went to go test drive it, there were out and they didnt turn on when the battery was on, so I knew exactly what was going on. I factored that into my purchase and I got my Q at a fair price, considering everything else was close to perfect. I had also come close to purchasing a '92 a few months before that, so I was already on here reading different threads and what not and was well aware of the relay issue. Unfortunately, after replacing them, it made no difference :frown:

Infinitiguy19

I would check the wiring along the dashboard. Along with what I said in your other topic. Which means the instrument cluster pieces have to come out. It could be that he may have damaged some of the wiring between the secondary Throttle Position Sensor to the Traction Control Unit and Throttle Control Module.

Why someone would go to such great extent to remove some bulbs is beyond me. I would wonder if he switched out the instrument cluster with one from a lower mileage car.

Q45Owner

Infinitiguy19 wrote:I would check the wiring along the dashboard. Along with what I said in your other topic. Which means the instrument cluster pieces have to come out. It could be that he may have damaged some of the wiring between the secondary Throttle Position Sensor to the Traction Control Unit and Throttle Control Module.

Why someone would go to such great extent to remove some bulbs is beyond me. I would wonder if he switched out the instrument cluster with one from a lower mileage car.
Well, cuz I guess they figured it would hurt resale value. But i had already checked the Carfax and Autocheck before buying it and there was a consistent mileage update up until the time I purchased it. It was a single owner vehicle since 1993, the woman traded it in for a newer Infiniti and since Infiniti wont sell any 94s on their lot anymore apparently, they turned it over to this secondary dealership, which is who i bought it off of. Honestly, my car is pretty sweet, it's just this one issue really. I've already disassembled my dash and never fully put it back together cuz i'm still in the process of upgrading to LED bulbs so i can get in there pretty easily if need be. The wires dont appear to be damaged at all though. Everything on the car still looks new to me.

Infinitiguy19

The car needed too much work for them to put it on the lot as a certified pre owned car maybe?

How is the rust on the car?

Q45Owner

Infinitiguy19 wrote:The car needed too much work for them to put it on the lot as a certified pre owned car maybe?

How is the rust on the car?
Nah, no rust, super clean in and out. It was garage kept. Undercarriage looks perfect, engine compartment looks perfect. No other issues.. I've had the car for a year and put 10,000 miles on it during that time and all I've done was replace a tie rod. I knew about the TCS OFF/Slip lights from the beginning, but just been putting it off for awhile. Figured it was most likely an easy fix based on everything I've read here. But changing the relays didn't do a damn thing. The old ones looked fine to me, so it was a waste of money to replace them really.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Infinitiguy19 wrote:The car needed too much work for them to put it on the lot as a certified pre owned car maybe?
I'm guessing the fact that it was 20 years old takes it out of CPO contention anyhow... no way they'd put a warranty on it just based on age.

Heath

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”