Skullcandy Full Metal Jacket and TiTAN review.

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Otto.

Let me just start off by saying that Skullcandy is an awesome brand who makes awesome products.

This is my review of the Skullcandy Full Metal Jacket and TiTAN in-ear headphones.

I love the TiTANS because of the performance they give at an affordible price. I'm a bit of an audiophile. I use my Sony CD player for all music listening while at home or traveling like on a train or something. MP3 quality is... okay at best.

This is my 3rd pair of TiTAN's because I wasn't so nice on my other sets. I used them daily. My old ones will be brought down to laptop duty until they stop working.

As I was looking in my local music store (F.Y.E.) I noticed that they have a new version of the TiTANS out now. They now have an inline volume control and a rubber coated aluminum cable similar to the one on the FMJ's. Those are both extremely welcome upgrades... needless to say, I'm a happy customer.

Sound Quality:The music quality is the same as my TiTAN's before these. Good bass response but a little weak in the mids and highs. They are clear enough for my tastes and they separate different aspects of the music well. They are well worth the price and they match or exceed just about any other sub-$75 in-ear headphone. The in-line volume control switch is nice and smooth... it works well.7.5/10 (average is 5, poor is 1 , and great is 10)

Durability:My other pairs lasted my a good while. About a year of not-so-gentle everyday listening. Don't expect to be throwing these around and bending the connector every which way without breaking though. The new aluminum cable seems like it would be able to take more abuse than the old rubber one.5/10

Customer Service:They respond quickly to e-mails although I have never used their phone service. They like to hear from the customer. No problems here.10/10

Sound Isolation:The newer solid color rubber tips seem to be better than the older clear ones. They fit better and block out noise better (Maybe its just me?). Some of their headphones come with their "Comply" foam tips. They are made of the same type of foam that is used in those earplugs that you roll in between your fingers ant they form to your ear. These are less convenient but they do offer better noise isolation.Rubber: 6.5-7/10 Foam: 8/10TiTAN's:

Closeup of cable:

Volume control switch:

Gold plated connector... gold is very conductive so I'm sure that adds to the sound quality:

FMJ's:

I'm not going to do a full review simply for the fact that I returned these for the TiTAN's. They are more expensive and have worse sound quality. They are too bassy. They are not bad headphones by any means, they just are not quite as good as the TiTAN's. The iPhone edition has a built in microphone so you can take calls without removing the FMJ's. Nifty feature.

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

i like skullcandy, they have an awesome warranty i have broken dozens of them and they always send me new ones.

Jesda

I wish more 'phones were available as outer ear buds instead of in-canal buds. Nothing stays in my damn ear canals.

krayzie94
Car: 1989 240sx

Otto MCR wrote:
. I'm a bit of an audiophile. I use my Sony CD player for all music listening while at home or traveling like on a train or something. MP3 quality is... okay at best.
If the mp3 is 320kbps & around 10mb for a ~4min song, would it be far off the CD quality? I have an iPod & I try to only download high-quality mp3's.

I had no idea Skullcandy had a good warranty...mine broke at the jack and I ripped it appart and threw it down the sewer.

I need new headphones.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I've never really owned a decent pair of headphones. I have some cheap skullcandy imitations that sound decent, but not fantastic (bass is kind of flat and overwhelming at the same time).

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

I have trouble trusting anything otto says about quality since he is a filthy hippy...

...but skullcandy makes the best cheap ear equipment. Most of the problem is the girlish colors you can only find on their stuff.

Otto.

Jesda wrote:I wish more 'phones were available as outer ear buds instead of in-canal buds. Nothing stays in my damn ear canals.
They have 3 different sizes of rubber and foam tips. The foam tips would probably work for you. A fair amount of force is needed to remove them.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

A Challenger:

Shure SE110.

I have the 210's, and they're by far the best headphones I've ever owned. Had the E2C's for a 3 years, then they broke because I sat on them...best $60 ever spent.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Where did you find them as cheap as $60?!

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

Yeah, I use E2C's for my in-ears.

Grado SR60 and SR325's otherwise.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Where did you find them as cheap as $60?!
Found the E2c's on ebay a couple of years ago for $59.99.

My SE210's were $160.

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

HashiriyaS14 wrote:Yeah, I use E2C's for my in-ears.

Grado SR60 and SR325's otherwise.
I loved my E2Cs... Still have them but the plastic coating on the wire cracked where it bends over your ear and it bugs me enough to not use them often.

I bought the cheap as hell skull candies (~$17), and was pretty happy with them. Not the same, but I use them to listen to music off of my phone... not really an audiophile setup so they are plenty, and cheap enough to wad up in my pocket with out feeling bad.

And yes, the most annoying thing about skull candies is they are too damn "stylish"...I just want headphones, not a fashion statement.

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

I Always End Up Losing The Rubber Part.

I'll Just Stick With Regular External Ear Buds.

The Count
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue, 2006 Dodge Dakota

I had some Shure SE-310's for a couple years and one day they turned up missing.

The. Best. Sound. EVER. They were worth every penny of the $250 on ebay I spent for those 2 years.

Jesda

Otto MCR wrote:They have 3 different sizes of rubber and foam tips. The foam tips would probably work for you. A fair amount of force is needed to remove them.
Its a pain to get them in my narrow ear canals, then you have to yank hard to pop them out. Its a whole ridiculous ritual just to listen to Steve Winwood for 15 minutes. Its like getting up in the morning and taking a shower and shaving and taking a dump, but the payoff only lasts a half hour. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST MAKE NORMAL EAR BUDS WITH GOOD SOUND QUALITY.

GOD!

ScrapMetal
Car: 1999 Chevrolet S10, 1991 Ford Bronco 5.0

I have a pair of Skullcandys Inkd earphones.

They came with my MP3 player when I bought it. I can honestly say they are the best earphones I've ever had. I use them everyday to go to the gym and at home on my computer. I had never heard of the brand before I got em, but I gotta say they make good stuff.
Dittoz7 wrote:I Always End Up Losing The Rubber Part.

I lost the little rubber part on mine too. I had to order more from their website.

Otto.

marlin29311 wrote:A Challenger:

Shure SE110.

I have the 210's, and they're by far the best headphones I've ever owned. Had the E2C's for a 3 years, then they broke because I sat on them...best $60 ever spent.
The Count wrote:I had some Shure SE-310's for a couple years and one day they turned up missing.

The. Best. Sound. EVER. They were worth every penny of the $250 on ebay I spent for those 2 years.
Believe me... If I had the money, I would be rocking Sure's. In multiple reviews I have read, it said that the TiTAN's are the next best thing to the E2c's.

I can only imagine the sound.

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Jesda wrote:
Its a pain to get them in my narrow ear canals, then you have to yank hard to pop them out. Its a whole ridiculous ritual just to listen to Steve Winwood for 15 minutes. Its like getting up in the morning and taking a shower and shaving and taking a dump, but the payoff only lasts a half hour. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST MAKE NORMAL EAR BUDS WITH GOOD SOUND QUALITY.

GOD!

Because a lot of the sound comes from sealing up your ear and using it to produce the sound.. or something like that...

If you take a decent in ear one, and pull it out a little bit so its not sealing up you will notice how much worse it sounds. I think it is much harder/more expensive to make such a tiny speaker that has good sound with out using your ear as sort of a speaker box... (I don't know what I am talking about, just something I have noticed when my in ear ones don't fit well/come out/I yawn or eat and a gap opens around the rubber piece.)
ScrapMetal wrote:I have a pair of Skullcandys Inkd earphones... I can honestly say they are the best earphones I've ever had.
Those are the ones that are only $17 too. Nice that they came with your mp3 player, definitely way better then the cheap a** ones that normally come with them.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Jesda wrote:
That dude's right nostril is significantly larger than his left.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

In-ear sound is so superior to anything offered by external earbuds. Plus it helps accelerate my tinnitus which lets me enjoy the music hours after its stopped playing.
MinisterofDOOM wrote:That dude's right nostril is significantly larger than his left.
That's because his right index finger is significantly larger that his left index finger.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

DrifterXRPS13
Car: 1993 Acura Integra LS, 1998 Nissan 240SX SE 5sp. KA-T,2004 Honda CBR 600RR, 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600, 2013 Harley Davidson Iron 883, 2014 BMW S1000RR

i have the ink'd earbuds and the lowrider headphones...i love the fact that i actually hear what i'm trying to hear and not all the other noise around me or interference or static...they are amazing.

Otto.

I used to have the Lowriders a while back... I forgot how they sounded.

Return to “General Chat”